Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

Varg and Skaelings are what we call "total bullshit."

Yeah, I begrudgingly installed my only mod to balance them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Voyager I posted:

Your deployment is probably going to change every battle based on the exact composition of your army (including the condition of various units if any have taken serious losses in recent fighting), your opponent and their composition, whether you are attacking or defending, and the layout of the terrain you are fighting on.

Also turn off/on your autocorrect.

Rome 2 had a great system of deployment templates that would organize your army instantly into multiple different layouts and also multiple auto-formations where you could select a group of units and organize them into double lines, triple lines, assign cav to secure flanks etc.

In TW: Warhammer all that's left of that is the ability to make a melee or missile fronted double line.

It would be really nice if we could get all those deployment options back or better yet, a deployment template you can script for yourself

I would even settle for a triple line that puts Guns in front, Melee in the middle and archers in the back

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Xae posted:

I would say the lack of fighting is my biggest disappointment in the game so far.

The AI will absolutely not engage in any fight where they do not have a 1+ stack advantage. I can't even bait them into an ambush because the AI has total omniscience and will walk around ambushes, even if they aren't detected. "Wars" consist of me taking all the settlements and the AI running their stacks away to die to attrition once they have 0 cities left.

The biggest fights I get are my garrison troops vs 2 stacks. Those two stacks will always run immediately before I can catch them. Eventually they die to attrition.

Sorry if you already answered this, but what difficulty are you playing on? When I did my first campaign on normal to learn the ropes of the different factions it seemed like the AI just waited for me to come kill them. When I increased the difficulty I ended up in a lot more field battles, plenty of them were pretty even odds too.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

To everyone complaining about making the checkerboard formation and taking too long to do so: here's a foolproof way to do it.

Click and drag missile unit cards in between your melee unit cards so you have infantry-missile-infantry-missile-infantry etc.

Next, click your leftmost infantry unit card, hold shift, and then click your rightmost infantry unit card that will serve as your front line. This will also select your missiles. Drag your line out as deep or long as you need to. Your missiles ought to be between your infantry, matching your unit card layout.

Finally, select all your missile units (Control + M) or just control-click each missile unit card on your line, then hold the down arrow on your keyboard to pull them all back some space.

Presto, you now have a two-line checkerboard formation. Feel free to repeat this this a second batch of infantry and missiles behind the first line or put reserves behind the missiles at your leisure.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I wanna talk some more about D&D hammer.

Is the idea that only the player runs parties and slays full units of enemies or that all factions have parties and it's a character focused campaign.

In the case of the latter I like the idea of trouncing the unit sizes but leaving HP largely untouched. This would differ by faction and unit type. So Empire would have 3 dude units of hippogryfs, 5 dude Reiksguard and 8 dude units for all the other cavalry... maybe between 10 and 15 for infantry units. Conversely, Greenskin numbers would greater, Max 30, min 8 dudes, depending on the unit. To keep damages even you'd have to up the damage value of the individual dude...

The former mode, heroes vs. Hordes, might be a simpler game because your main concern is modifying the heroes and strategic level to support it. Hero vulnerability to missiles would need to be addressed.

Strategic level would need to have greater hero caps, maybe even a lower recruitment requirement so you can start with one of each hero available. Something would need to be done about the multiple stack multiplier but I think that could be controlled through upkeep.

Ideally you'd want to change as few tables as possible to allow other mods to function. I dunno, ought try and make this thing.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Yeah, I begrudgingly installed my only mod to balance them.

This game is substantially better with a few mods. There are a lot of relatively low impact and cool mods on the workshop, some goon made and approved!

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Has anyone else had issues with Karl Franz's final questline? What's happened for me 2 out of 2 times so far is that I start it, deploy the witch hunter in Reikland as requested, then...nothing. I assume since I've gotten this quest extremely late both times, the problem is that whatever objective comes next no longer exists or something, just wanted to see if anyone else has run into the same, since my use of mods was very limited when it happened.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Sorry if you already answered this, but what difficulty are you playing on? When I did my first campaign on normal to learn the ropes of the different factions it seemed like the AI just waited for me to come kill them. When I increased the difficulty I ended up in a lot more field battles, plenty of them were pretty even odds too.

I've played a campaign on everything form Easy to Hard. I haven't tried Legendary yet.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

DiHK posted:

I wanna talk some more about D&D hammer.

Is the idea that only the player runs parties and slays full units of enemies or that all factions have parties and it's a character focused campaign.

In the case of the latter I like the idea of trouncing the unit sizes but leaving HP largely untouched. This would differ by faction and unit type. So Empire would have 3 dude units of hippogryfs, 5 dude Reiksguard and 8 dude units for all the other cavalry... maybe between 10 and 15 for infantry units. Conversely, Greenskin numbers would greater, Max 30, min 8 dudes, depending on the unit. To keep damages even you'd have to up the damage value of the individual dude...

The former mode, heroes vs. Hordes, might be a simpler game because your main concern is modifying the heroes and strategic level to support it. Hero vulnerability to missiles would need to be addressed.

Strategic level would need to have greater hero caps, maybe even a lower recruitment requirement so you can start with one of each hero available. Something would need to be done about the multiple stack multiplier but I think that could be controlled through upkeep.

Ideally you'd want to change as few tables as possible to allow other mods to function. I dunno, ought try and make this thing.

Thankfully the game uses really nice numbers for dividing up units. Looks like you could divide each unit by ten from Ultra unit sizes and multiply health by ten, then round up. So for Empire that'd look like:

Melee infantry: 12 dudes at 580-650 HP per dude
Missile infantry: 9 dudes at 580 HP per dude
Cavalry: 6 dudes at 920 -1040 HP per dude
Demigryhs: 3 dudes at 2,500 HP actually might want to round down to 2 dudes, Demigryphs have a ton of health.

Could definitely work, but good luck balancing all the hidden stats like accuracy.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hello friends, i have made yet another Mod.

This is for all you who think the Legendary Items just don't cut it (or not really worth the effort) in many places when compared to certain green and blues but also don't want super OP items that more or less break the games balance: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=707695876

Ive added a full list of changes in the mod page, if you guys want to see it in here just tell me. I didn't wanna clog up the thread with basically a massive wall of text unasked :ohdear:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Gejnor posted:

Hello friends, i have made yet another Mod.

This is for all you who think the Legendary Items just don't cut it (or not really worth the effort) in many places when compared to certain green and blues but also don't want super OP items that more or less break the games balance: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=707695876

Ive added a full list of changes in the mod page, if you guys want to see it in here just tell me. I didn't wanna clog up the thread with basically a massive wall of text unasked :ohdear:

Is this compatible with Molay's? Is it possible to make the quests themselves less trying? All of Thorgrim's are obnoxious as hell.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It was weird trying Karl Franz quests after the other lords, everything he has to do is very close by, agents just need to deploy in the starting province or nearby, no 20 turn hikes with your one agent for the first step of your 6 part quests, they were just 2-3 steps long and I didn't even need to teleport because Karl was always a turn away from the location.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 21, 2016

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rygar201 posted:

Is this compatible with Molay's? Is it possible to make the quests themselves less trying? All of Thorgrim's are obnoxious as hell.
No, since he has different values for his items, all of them really OP in my opinion.

If he were to make a "spells only" mod then yes.

If you want powerful spells and this mod i recommend Sinj's Spells:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=702578633&searchtext=sinj

And no, i haven't touched the quests themselves, just the items.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Gejnor posted:

No, since he has different values for his items, all of them really OP in my opinion.

If he were to make a "spells only" mod then yes.

If you want powerful spells and this mod i recommend Sinj's Spells:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=702578633&searchtext=sinj

And no, i haven't touched the quests themselves, just the items.

Honestly, my favorite part of Molay's magic is the changes he makes to the Power Reserve mechanic (and making direct damage not suck, but several mods do that). Every second rank gives bonus power reserve, and so do items and loremaster. Since the bottleneck remains in place for reserve->power, it really just gives mages a much needed boost to staying power. In the core game, after a mage casts 2-3 spells they're pretty much out for the rest of the fight. I would agree that his legendary items and ward changes are OP, but I prefer his approach to making them give campaign-level bonuses rather than your in-combat boosts. So.... basically I'm not super satisfied with any combination of mods here because I'm a picky finicky bastard and will probably make my own mod to reach my perfect compromise point because I'm insane.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Holy moly late game chaos is loving boring. Your units are all slow heavily armored bricks that lumber around taking way too much damage from poo poo outriders and marauder horsemen, and shut gets rebuilt about as fast as you sack it. There's no chance of losing, its just a boring grind.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kaza42 posted:

Honestly, my favorite part of Molay's magic is the changes he makes to the Power Reserve mechanic (and making direct damage not suck, but several mods do that). Every second rank gives bonus power reserve, and so do items and loremaster. Since the bottleneck remains in place for reserve->power, it really just gives mages a much needed boost to staying power. In the core game, after a mage casts 2-3 spells they're pretty much out for the rest of the fight. I would agree that his legendary items and ward changes are OP, but I prefer his approach to making them give campaign-level bonuses rather than your in-combat boosts. So.... basically I'm not super satisfied with any combination of mods here because I'm a picky finicky bastard and will probably make my own mod to reach my perfect compromise point because I'm insane.

Hey man that last part is why i made my own mod in the first place as well :v:

Also, the items already do give campaign bonuses, he just increases them to silly-ville.

And while i get what you mean with Molay, the thing i don't like is that while he gives you a ton of Power Reserves it seems his scaling with regen is off. What i mean by that is that the more spells you cast, the longer time it'll take for your spells to regenerate the power reseves.And since Molays spells costs A LOT more than vanilla it means even with stuff like Arcane Conduit you end up with situations where you have 0/30 spell power, 100+ reserves and a silly +40-60 seconds per spellpoint tick (and this increases as you keep using spells). If you then don't have 2-3 mages with Arcane Conduit on them you're basically hosed magic wise.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 21, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

terrorist ambulance posted:

Holy moly late game chaos is loving boring. Your units are all slow heavily armored bricks that lumber around taking way too much damage from poo poo outriders and marauder horsemen, and shut gets rebuilt about as fast as you sack it. There's no chance of losing, its just a boring grind.

Remember that you just need to take out Empire and Bretonnia, and for the sack/raze X turns requirement, you are under no requirement to ensure it *stays* razed. The entire map can belong to Marienburg for all you care, so long as Karl Franz is gone.

Also keep some dogs around to destroy outriders and routed units so they can't bother you again. Even basic dogs will eat outriders and marauder horsemen for breakfast.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 21, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Has anyone made that "Awakened Norscan Tribes" mod yet? I got shafted by the Skaelings about 30 turns into my longest Chaos Campaign yet. I mean yes I re-declared war on them after they managed to beat me to a war target and I spent more turns than needed dealing with the lovely enemy hoverhands on my one awakened tribe, but Christ they gobbled the Varg up quick and came after me with three full stacks. Having someone at their backs would do wonders for making Norsca less tedious for every single faction.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I don't have any problem with Norscans, no idea what you're talking about :iit:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

ChickenWing posted:

I don't have any problem with Norscans, no idea what you're talking about :iit:

Okay everyone besides Dwarfs. There's 7 provinces up in Norsca. If those seven provinces each started with the factions that could be awoken there (Bearsonling, Aesoling, Skarl) then not only would it give Chaos/Empire players a needed breather, but it'd also give the End Times a little more oomph for the southern factions by giving Chaos more vassals when they show up.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Triskelli posted:

Okay everyone besides Dwarfs. There's 7 provinces up in Norsca. If those seven provinces each started with the factions that could be awoken there (Bearsonling, Aesoling, Skarl) then not only would it give Chaos/Empire players a needed breather, but it'd also give the End Times a little more oomph for the southern factions by giving Chaos more vassals when they show up.

You really don't have to kick that hornets' nest if you don't want to.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Why would it give Empire players a bigger breather. The AI can support 3-4 full stacks from one province, as per usual, so dividing 2 factions into 7 just means more stacks of the same units. It's why subjugating the norscans is a really good strategy on chaos legendary--you are leveraging the AI's difficulty modifiers and what they mean for their ability to support stacks against your victory conditions.

Most of what the norscans need is a more varied unit roster and maybe less of an economy or higher costs per unit to chill their number of stacks a bit.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
So since I basically only got him at the end of the dwarf campaign and never got the chance to level him, I tried a quest battle with the slayer king. Went pretty well I think!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has anyone made a model swap to make Manfred look like a Hammer Pictures vampire?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Not sure if it's been specifically discussed, but I've found that running the "no public order difficulty penalties" mod along with the "no OP agent stacking" mod really balances agents well. The AI will have to use their agents to boost their public order, and rebellions are an actual threat. I've seen empire rebellions, vampire rebellions, and a chaos invasion ever since using it.

The no OP Agent Stacking mode makes it so the "On Guard" and "Fatigue" negative modifiers for agents last 3 turns. High level agents are still really strong, but they cant just spam attempts until everything is dead. Even if you get hit, it make it hard from subsequent attacks from other enemy agents from hitting you. Works out pretty well.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hang on though. Actions like assault units don't trigger fatigue while assassinations do. Doesn't this just make the situation worse?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Fangz posted:

Hang on though. Actions like assault units don't trigger fatigue while assassinations do. Doesn't this just make the situation worse?

This is better than chain killing dudes, IMO.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Fangz posted:

I'm pretty sure it still triggers "On Guard" for the targeted general's army... I'm pretty sure. I believe the mod might make all successful offensive actions trigger Fatigue now as well.

But like I said, the AI can't spend all it's agents on offensive because public order is something it actually needs to spend people on. I'm turn 100 on a hard Chaos campaign and things are 20x more sane than they were in my previous campaign where a blob of 4 orc shamans chased my VC armies to death.

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 21, 2016

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
It just occurred to me that I've never had the AI go through with a siege battle with worse than three to one odds.
Someone should tell CA that sometimes armies fight to weaken other armies.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Ilustforponydeath posted:

It just occurred to me that I've never had the AI go through with a siege battle with worse than three to one odds.
Someone should tell CA that sometimes armies fight to weaken other armies.

I've defended in a siege battle where I outnumbered the enemy. Sometimes even dramatically, like a 90% autoresolve bar. This isn't rebels or sole-survivor stacks either, which are forced to attack. I had a band of Savage Orcs attack a town with level 2 defenses and a full stack (albeit of lovely troops) where the autoresolve bar barely had any red in it. :shrug: No idea why that happens, yet superior enemies will spend 10 turns building siege towers sometimes while my reinforcements cross the entire world

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Why are y'all so mad that the AI tries to fight when it calculates a good chance it will win, and not when it doesn't?

:confused:

People have bitched for years about the dumb AI and now we're seamlessly bitching about a smarter AI?

:confused: :confused:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

drat, the Good Magic mod is sweet, but it does go a bit too far on the Legendaries I think :(

Fought Archaon's doomstack last night with my Orcs, and him and the Hellcannons were the only things to do triple-digit kills each. Had to pound the units attacking him with spells to support/buff em, while debuffing Archaon himself. Thinking about it, that may have been kinda lore-friendly in retrospect.

Also, am I the only guy who thinks arty crew at times are a bit too durable?

Also, gently caress Hellcannons.

gently caress all Hellcannons.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm kind of anti-mod in that I think a lot of them make the game too easy, but I think I'm going to give the public order mod a try. I don't like that it basically isn't really an issue for the AI since it takes away some strategic options and makes certain agents pretty lame.

Yeah, I've gotten to the point where I kinda feel guilty and avoid certain mods if I feel its making it too easy. I wont even run Empire of Sigmar, because if its just my Orcs and the Empire that gets cool new stuff mainly, we'd just steamroll all the punkasses factions, ya know?

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 21, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm kind of anti-mod in that I think a lot of them make the game too easy, but I think I'm going to give the public order mod a try. I don't like that it basically isn't really an issue for the AI since it takes away some strategic options and makes certain agents pretty lame.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
How come every time I lose a battle my whole army gets killed outright but defeating an AI army always results in them limping away with heavily damaged units, at least until I follow up for a second attack?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I don't think AI is or has ever been about smart vs. dumb when it comes to video games. It's about fun. And if you consider fighting siege defense battles fun then the current AI is bad.

I've finished 6 campaigns across various difficulty levels with and without mods and I have fought all of 1 siege defense battle. Were siege defense battles really easy in previous titles? Yes. Are fights on walls less interesting than shogun 2? Yeah. But I still enjoy them from time to time instead of once over the course of 800 battles or so. When the AI factions have been given massive reductions to troop cost and buffs to money they can afford to throw them at you to weaken your stacks/garrisons rather than ganging up in front of your towns and saying "please lightning strike us to death while we wait 10 turns to starve you out".

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Xae posted:

It isn't an exaggeration.

I've had half stack Chaos armies siege Provincial Capitals with an upgraded garrison and a full stack of troops inside and they just starved to death rather than attacking me.
Abusing this is how you take Dorfs out of the game early with VCs and I don't regret it one bit.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm amazed at how fun this game continues to be. I haven't put 100+ hours in a single game for a long long time. Someone earlier in this thread said it pretty well, it's like 5 different wargames packed into one. I never really played much of the other TW games, I always felt kinda dumb in the Shogun series for not being familiar with Japanese history. This game has factions that are cartoonish archetypes with very direct, easy-to-understand motivations, and often hilarious flaws. I love that VCs for example have murder-machine generals and thousands of troops that are absolute dogshit. It's a special feeling when you lose 1000 zombies in one fight, only to replenish them the next turn.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

KM Scorchio posted:

How come every time I lose a battle my whole army gets killed outright but defeating an AI army always results in them limping away with heavily damaged units, at least until I follow up for a second attack?

?

Well there's battles where there's no retreat and you lose all your units if you lose, but generally you don't lose your whole army?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Rygar201 posted:

Why are y'all so mad that the AI tries to fight when it calculates a good chance it will win, and not when it doesn't?

:confused:

People have bitched for years about the dumb AI and now we're seamlessly bitching about a smarter AI?

:confused: :confused:

People aren't complaining that the AI avoids fights it can't win, they're complaining it avoids even fights. Those are the most fun and they're a rarity now, instead you end up autoresolving most of the battles in a campaign because they're either full stack vs garrison or your two full stacks that you've finally managed to corner the AI with vs their one stack. Either way it's a foregone conclusion and not much fun to play out. It's all well and good to say the AI is just being all Sun Tzu but it doesn't make for very many fun battles which is kind of the entire point of Total War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think people are rather exaggerating. Or they are looking at the AI with their full stack fleeing their own full stack and not noting that the AI is comparing the quality of your units. A full stack of basic units against your Chosen is not an even fight.

• Locked thread