Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
My favorite part of the FEC filing is him buying advertising from Draper-Sterling. So goddamned funny. I really hope someone digs into that place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shifty Pony posted:

Trump strikes me as a "if I can't have it nobody can" type of guy who would not actually drop out but instead just stop campaigning while fighting attempts to change the nominee.

He's going to neither drop out nor campaign, he's going to stick around doing whatever he feels like and talking to anyone who'll listen without any regard for the effect it has on his election prospects or the Republican party.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AhhYes posted:

My favorite part of the FEC filing is him buying advertising from Draper-Sterling. So goddamned funny. I really hope someone digs into that place.

http://drapersterling.com/

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Interesting facts in the spat of recent national polling:

Hillary winning Indy's by small margins. (Democrats haven't won Indy's in, like, ever.)
Hillary pulling nearly even with men. (Democrats haven't won men since like 1964)
Hillary winning 70-80% of the non-white vote. (Could potentially have a higher share of the non-white vote than Obama)
Hillary winning white-women. (Democrats haven't won white women since 1964)

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

LeJackal posted:

Edit: I need more coffee.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

CelestialScribe posted:

loving lol. Just two days ago this thread was telling me I was a loving idiot for thinking Trump could win Ohio. Now a poll says theyre tied.

But impossible, right guys?

Then :toxx: .

Put your money where your mouth is and toxx yourself with the condition that Trump will perform better against Clinton than Romney or McCain did against Obama. Until then you're a walking, sentient panic attack.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
New York Magazine says that Trump has selected a VP, but not made a formal offer yet. So look for that sometime soon.

Interestingly, it was part of the article on Corey Lewandowski's firing. Apparently he told the Trump kids that he would leak Trump's VP pick if they kicked him out, but he has apparently gotten over it and is back on team Trump, so that dream was smothered in the crib.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

New York Magazine says that Trump has selected a VP, but not made a formal offer yet. So look for that sometime soon.

Interestingly, it was part of the article on Corey Lewandowski's firing. Apparently he told the Trump kids that he would leak Trump's VP pick if they kicked him out, but he has apparently gotten over it and is back on team Trump, so that dream was smothered in the crib.

Wait, I thought the upshot of that was that Lewandowski's plan for rolling out the VP was to leak it, and that's why they fired him, not because he was threatening them?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Current theory is that the "firing" of Lewandowski was supposed to be a terrible smoke screen for the FEC filing.

A terrible, terrible smoke screen.

Like this video levels of bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hePrs5TyE0A

Now we're just waiting for the road spikes.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

max4me posted:

I am sorry I keep skimming this thread because of bernie/gun chat. I missed it.

Did trump really throw in the towel at calling 25 real rich people to get money for his campaign?

Yes. He called 3, then gave up. I agree that his ego can't handle asking for money, but I also think there's a big amount of "this isn't fun like holding the rallies is."

I think Trump just wants to do things that he enjoys and hates doing anything where he's not getting attention. Rallies and tweets and interviews are all great, behind the scenes campaign work is boring.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Yes. He called 3, then gave up. I agree that his ego can't handle asking for money, but I also think there's a big amount of "this isn't fun like holding the rallies is."

I think Trump just wants to do things that he enjoys and hates doing anything where he's not getting attention. Rallies and tweets and interviews are all great, behind the scenes campaign work is boring.

FYI that's a highly dubious third-hand rumor. OTOH, it's funny to think, and we should believe it.

IDK if we talked about the failure of the gun legislation this weekend since I skip straight to the end but here's a one pager on Susan Collins' compromise amendment she's going to offer later this week.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 21, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/745271373363290113

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Man, i'm I'm Hillary I might just stop attacking Trump until the RNC actually nominates him.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

zoux posted:

FYI that's a highly dubious third-hand rumor. OTOH, it's funny to think, and we should believe it.

I always figured that the fundraising calls were left to campaign staff anyway. But I suppose if these are the biggest of the big fish they really do expect/deserve a direct call from the candidate him/herself.

Side thought though: how do you think the 22 donors who didn't get a call feel right now? I wonder if they feel snubbed enough to make them consider dropping all support? I mean these people donate to see their interests furthered but with the writing on the wall, especially after 2012 and the money sink that was the Walker and Bush primary campaigns, these guys just decide to save their money for 2018 midterms and the 2020 election.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dexo posted:

Man, i'm I'm Hillary I might just stop attacking Trump until the RNC actually nominates him.

This idea that Trump is about to be jettisoned by the Wise Maesters of the RNC is highly, highly speculative. It's not as simple as just saying "OK No" to him.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Dexo posted:

I've been thinking this too, Trump is the worst possible candidate and the Democrat's should actually wait until he's the official candidate before destroying him. On the plus side, maybe we might see a contested convention after all?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

zoux posted:

This idea that Trump is about to be jettisoned by the Wise Maesters of the RNC is highly, highly speculative. It's not as simple as just saying "OK No" to him.

Is it really though? I mean it guarantees they lose the election, but if they decide on just focusing on saving the downticket races it makes sense. And that's on top of just how dismal their chances for winning with Trump.

And that's assuming he's even going to make it to the RNC. The man could completely meltdown before the convention even happens. Then it's less of a Cruz lead ratfucking and more of a "well we actually need to someone else because Trump has gone critical and is currently melting his way to the core of the earth."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nocturtle posted:

I've been thinking this too, Trump is the worst possible candidate and the Democrat's should actually wait until he's the official candidate before destroying him. On the plus side, maybe we might see a contested convention after all?

There's no downside. If he is the candidate, you've been hitting him the whole time and controlling the narrative. If you convince the RNC that Trump is a bad bet and they go with someone else, it will literally destroy the party.

Crain posted:

Is it really though? I mean it guarantees they lose the election, but if they decide on just focusing on saving the downticket races it makes sense. And that's on top of just how dismal their chances for winning with Trump.

If they abandon Trump, tons of voters that were going to vote for Trump and most likely vote straight ticket R end up staying home and the downticket races are a bloodbath.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I want Trump to be the nominee just because I can't wait for him to debate Hillary. She's great at that sort of thing, and calling Trump out in front of everyone, with his inexperience in that avenue and his short fuse... it could be an amazing thing to see.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So apparently the real problem with American politics is that it's too darn democratic:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/07/how-american-politics-went-insane/485570/

:jerkbag:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Crain posted:

And that's assuming he's even going to make it to the RNC. The man could completely meltdown before the convention even happens. Then it's less of a Cruz lead ratfucking and more of a "well we actually need to someone else because Trump has gone critical and is currently melting his way to the core of the earth."

Who's the candidate?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Who's the candidate?

Paul Ryan

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

readingatwork posted:

So apparently the real problem with American politics is that it's too darn democratic:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/07/how-american-politics-went-insane/485570/

Also that some people who don't know a lot about politics don't like compromise. How dare they!

(There's a kernel of a valid point there, but seriously, this article was trash.)

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

zoux posted:

Who's the candidate?

At that point it's literally just whatever aggregate "good" candidate you can trick into being a sacrificial lamb.

So no one.

Or maybe a literal ham sandwich and we can finally put that theory to the test.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paul Ryan actually aspires to be president one day.

Crain posted:

At that point it's literally just whatever aggregate "good" candidate you can trick into being a sacrificial lamb.

So no one.

Also reminder that the vaunted RNC plan to deal with Trump was to spend $150 million on Jeb Bush.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Paul Ryan actually aspires to be president one day.

Also reminder that the vaunted RNC plan to deal with Trump was to spend $150 million on Jeb Bush.

you forget his ego and republican blinders for losing elections

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

readingatwork posted:

that goddamned article posted:

Our most pressing political problem today is that the country abandoned the establishment, not the other way around.

No, it is the children who are wrong.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

zoux posted:

Who's the candidate?

Cruz would be best because the stink of failure would stick to him despite it not being his fault.

Also, I hadn't heard about last year's budget deal falling through though I'm hardly surprised.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

readingatwork posted:

That's why I don't read the Atlantic the editors are at their hearts liberal oligarchist. They like the idea that most people are to stupid to be trusted and letting some good groomed elites lead the populace.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Cruz would be best because the stink of failure would stick to him despite it not being his fault.

Also, I hadn't heard about last year's budget deal falling through though I'm hardly surprised.

Well, probably one of the big debates within the party right now is if it's worse to lose Trump or keep him. The people worried about dumping Trump blowing up the party aren't going to be persuaded to do that for the sake of Ted Cruz.

Crowsbeak posted:

They like the idea that most people are to stupid to be trusted

To be fair, they have read your posting history.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Cruz ain't going anywhere near the nom for this election. He's positioning himself for 2020.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nocturtle posted:

If the RNC tries to dump Trump before the convention, it's going to destroy the party. If they run Trump, they're going to lose.

I think this is a good look for the DNC: force the RNC into making this impossible choice of which will result in less losses for them.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I'm not convinced that the GOP isn't going to implode after this election regardless of if they run Trump or replace him.

Trump doesn't "lose" like most people. The GOP will be left holding the bag, he'll spend months just making GBS threads on them and blaming them for everything that went wrong, hell he might even just start his own party anyways and fracture them further.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ze Pollack posted:

No, it is the children who are wrong.

Sounds like they need to go somewhere that they will be appreciated and allowed to fully prosper. Maybe some sort of Gulch, perhaps with magic cloaking technology.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Crain posted:

I'm not convinced that the GOP isn't going to implode after this election regardless of if they run Trump or replace him.

Trump doesn't "lose" like most people. The GOP will be left holding the bag, he'll spend months just making GBS threads on them and blaming them for everything that went wrong, hell he might even just start his own party anyways and fracture them further.

Which makes the choice even more impossible, which is great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Crain posted:

By all rights they should but they keep finding ways to snake their way out of their richly deserved comeuppance.

If this Trump poo poo was happening on the left, I'd have no idea what the best course of action was, I can make reasonable arguments for both outcomes. Which makes this exciting!!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

The ATF doesn't even do a good job auditing FFLs now, that doesn't mean we should release them from background check requirements. Again, if abuse is widespread then stepping up audits will pay for themselves with fines. If it's not then it's not a problem, and with today's computer technology you could easily flag people for audits with suspicious behavior like someone running bogus checks on every job applicant.

And again, holding on to one form for every gun you sell for X years isn't actually an onerous hassle at all, we already do it for our tax returns even if it's not for as long. It's funny how gun humpers are always all "responsible law-abiding gun owners are perfectly capable of safely operating and storing firearms, stop trying to nanny us you liberals" but then if I'm like hey could you just take this one piece of paper proving you didn't sell a gun to a convicted violent criminal, put it in a file cabinet next to your birth certificate and social security card and income tax forms and maybe just not loving lose it for a few years and "oh no that's to haaaaaaaaaaaaaard :qq:"

If gun nuts are too incompetent and childlike to file paper in a filing cabinet like grown-rear end adults (and I concede that you make a good point that this is a safe bet), update the law for the information age and go paperless, require sellers to scan or fax the form, have the ATF keep e-copies of all the 4473 forms.

There are all kinds of solutions to the minor little problems you're bringing up, they're things to think about, but they're not the insuperable barriers to enforcing laws against sales to violent felons like you imply.

Old dude gun shops and small "flipper" gun show/gunbroker types are not computer savvy at all based on my experiences purchasing/transferring 5 or so firearms over the last 20 years. They can barely fill out the forms with a pen legibly in under 45 minutes and all you hear is complaining while they are even doing that. :freep: I also think people are vastly underestimating the "flipper" market as a lobby, just look at TFR - there are scores of younger ex-military goons depending on the extra $ they make just by buying/selling guns. None of those guys want to fill out any more "paperwork."

So for California the newer, younger, more "urban" stores (like in the Bay Area/LA) are on top of all that poo poo and computerized whereas in Sacramento/Fresno you guys get grumbling about filling out almost everything. I think as the old guys get phased out registration will be easier.

ATF has also been gutted basically as well (on purpose) doesn't help.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

zoux posted:

By all rights they should but they keep finding ways to snake their way out of their richly deserved comeuppance.

Yeah there's always some Other that is easy to blame for all the problems they are constantly creating that resonate with a ton of people.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The only way I see Trump dropping out voluntarily is if the GOP literally writes him a massive check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hillary about to give her economy speech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-_C3X8Nf70

• Locked thread