Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

CharlesM posted:

That heli-carrier thing they fight on at the end, is it from the Avengers? Are those in the same universe?

Implied but not confirmed. I think they're waiting to see if they really get the rights to the mutants back to Marvel and this was a first salvo in that argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The Locator posted:

Eh, nevermind. I need to stop feeling sorry for myself sometimes and be happy that I've got a great job.

Is there any way management can see who completed those tests?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cakefool posted:

I was wondering the same.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Just seen someone with whitewall tyres on a 2004 car. Of course it's a PT Cruiser.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Wait you can buy white walls in the UK?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

iwentdoodie posted:

All well and good in real life. Except this is a comedy forum and he was also the first to jump on other people for anything he thought he could.

Maybe

But SA hasn't been a "comedy forum" in, like, forever. It's become way more serious and its members waaaaaaaay more sensitive. I dare say reddit of all places is funnier and more inline with old SA

And I'm pretty sure I learned this in first grade, but 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Also? No AC loving SUCKS

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

CommieGIR posted:

It was excellent, and you should see it. Their low budget was actually the butt of many a joke in the film.

I was half-expecting it to be some trying-too-hard, 'look at the camera and say something random, LOL teh funny!!!11' but the humour actually worked very well and they didn't overdo it.

It's not a Matrix-level masterpriece, but it was very enjoyable.

I just wish I han't seen all the trailers and teasers first.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Wait you can buy white walls in the UK?
You can, actually, but I think these were those separate add-on trims to go on normal tyres.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah legit whitewalls ain't cheap and lol at anyone owning a PT Cruiser spending loads of cash on one.

...and then I remember a car show last year that had a PT Cruiser section with cars that have obviously had thousands spunked on them. Turd polishing is apparently a thing.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Tide posted:

Maybe

But SA hasn't been a "comedy forum" in, like, forever. It's become way more serious and its members waaaaaaaay more sensitive. I dare say reddit of all places is funnier and more inline with old SA

And I'm pretty sure I learned this in first grade, but 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Also? No AC loving SUCKS

Look at this rear end in a top hat he likes reddit

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tide posted:

Maybe

Also? No AC loving SUCKS

It's less that and more that the current height of comedy here is posting 'I'm Gay' in every thread.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
I find plenty of things that make me lol on these forums

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

It's less that and more that the current height of comedy here is posting 'I'm Gay' in every thread.

I don't know, that word filter makes it pretty funny.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

corn in the fridge posted:

I find plenty of things that make me lol on these forums

Turn on your monitor.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tide posted:

Maybe

Reddit is still unreadable utter poo poo and more pedo moderators.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Reddit is still unreadable utter poo poo

I have no idea why people thing the layout is in any way acceptable to read. I also like how people who associate themselves heavily with being 'redditors' are usually weird as gently caress. I remember having a 'discussion' about reddit on a friend's facebook page and a couple popped up and started defending it so I took the piss a bit, it got boring when they didn't have poo poo to say and pretty much just lay down for me to steamroll over them with insults. I seem to recall it was something about lovely parenting which they took offense to.

...I learn a week later that they spend all their cash on nerd poo poo while their kid has to sit in the loving dark because they can't pay their power bill. Why would you even argue against lovely parenting when you put your kid to bed by candle light?

Some people.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Reddit is still unreadable utter poo poo and more pedo moderators.

I hate the layout, but there's some decent subs there. The aviation centric subs are quite good, as are the space and spacex and college football subs. There's a handful more, but as long as you stay out of the nsfw ones, you're good. I think I've got like 8 subs that I am subscribed to.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Mate let me tell you about the time I totally owned some redditors on facebook

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

corn in the fridge posted:

Mate let me tell you about the time I totally owned some redditors on facebook

Cuts deep bro. I'll cry myself to sleep tonight for sure.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

88h88 posted:

...I learn a week later that they spend all their cash on nerd poo poo while their kid has to sit in the loving dark because they can't pay their power bill. Why would you even argue against lovely parenting when you put your kid to bed by candle light?

Some people.
There was a goon who posted in E/N a few years ago asking for advice on how to get his kids back after CPS took them away. Said goon lived off student loans with his wife and two kids in a hoarder's nightmare trailer with one part of the floor starting to rot away and spent what little money he had on gaming poo poo instead of feeding his family or fixing his hovel.

Not saying that Reddit isn't a shithole, but many goons aren't exactly model adults either. :)

Fake edit, thread got goldmined: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453028 Unfortunately the image links are dead, or maybe fortunately since it was something you couldn't really unsee.

Real edit, he re-registered and posted a followup thread a few months later saying he had realized what a lovely person he was, started counceling and had gotten his kids back. edit 2: Found it through another thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499987

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 21, 2016

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Tide posted:

I hate the layout, but there's some decent subs there. The aviation centric subs are quite good, as are the space and spacex and college football subs. There's a handful more, but as long as you stay out of the nsfw ones, you're good. I think I've got like 8 subs that I am subscribed to.

This. Most of reddit is crap (to me, anyways), but some of the subs are great.

Its like comparing GBS to AI.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Siochain posted:

This. Most of reddit is crap (to me, anyways), but some of the subs are great.

Its like comparing GBS to AI.

Good comparison. Throwing a blanket summary of "x" site usually shows your own bias over objective fact.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Tide posted:

Also? No AC loving SUCKS

This. I live in a smallish loft apartment, and I was sleeping downstairs on the couch trying to sleep last night because it's way too loving hot up in the loft and thought, "Why the gently caress have I not bought an AC unit yet?"

My friend said he might have a couple of older window units kicking around in his basement, otherwise I'm going to Walmart and buying a new one, or one of the portable floor units.

Real Gaiman
Apr 24, 2008
to Big Al from Oz, the Ford hating strongly opinionated mouth breather who feels the need to reply to everyone on every article about trucks on the internet, shut uuup

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Guys I have a confession:

I've never listened to a podcast. How do I do this on Android? Do I do this the same way I do with any kind of music or is there a special super secret app™ that I need? TOO MANY APPS.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

scuz posted:

I've never listened to a podcast. How do I do this on Android? Do I do this the same way I do with any kind of music or is there a special super secret app™ that I need? TOO MANY APPS.

I use Podcast Addict. You point it at a podcast[0], and it figures out what episodes there are and in what order they go. It then lets you download episodes for future playback. I don't think it notifies you when new episodes come out (though that might be configurable), but it is aware of them.

[0]Like, you give it the URL to the podcast's website and it figures out what the url to the RSS feed is, etc.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Adiabatic posted:

In The Garage, friends will fight. Jethro might get uppity that you're talking sweet on his sister, and well poo poo all those Michelob Ultras may be partially talking through him. He'll go sleep it off and be right as rain tomorrow night when you all get together again.

At the produce stand the other day...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

We got the keys to the house last night, and goddamn it's a good feeling but also really weird to have my bank account so empty.

The back yard is utterly kickass, though. It's got nice grass up close to the house and small rock cover elsewhere. There's a pergola with lights and electric sockets where we're going to hang hammocks and plant jasmine. There's a sweet shed/workshop in one corner, well-lit with electricity and a workbench. Nice well-established juniper trees along one fenceline.

Now I just have to pack up all of our poo poo from the current house and get it over there. And clean the old house, and try to fix up the yard a bit so we get some deposit back. :smithicide:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cakefool posted:

If they took all of 2 minutes to filter them appropriately, pretty easily, yes.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Safety Dance posted:

I use Podcast Addict. You point it at a podcast[0], and it figures out what episodes there are and in what order they go. It then lets you download episodes for future playback. I don't think it notifies you when new episodes come out (though that might be configurable), but it is aware of them.

[0]Like, you give it the URL to the podcast's website and it figures out what the url to the RSS feed is, etc.

Or just use their search feature.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Pham Nuwen posted:

We got the keys to the house last night, and goddamn it's a good feeling but also really weird to have my bank account so empty.

The back yard is utterly kickass, though. It's got nice grass up close to the house and small rock cover elsewhere. There's a pergola with lights and electric sockets where we're going to hang hammocks and plant jasmine. There's a sweet shed/workshop in one corner, well-lit with electricity and a workbench. Nice well-established juniper trees along one fenceline.

Now I just have to pack up all of our poo poo from the current house and get it over there. And clean the old house, and try to fix up the yard a bit so we get some deposit back. :smithicide:

Congratulations. Home ownership is good (mostly), and even though there are times that I wish I could just call the landlord to fix 'problem x', I wouldn't go back to renting if I had a choice.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Was just tightening my intake pipes to hopefully fix a rich occasional misfire I've been getting under boost. Noticed the turbo looked wet.

There's a pinhole leak in the 3 way coolant elbow leading to the turbo coolant line. Which is a mazdaspeed specific part, and probably costs $theft-hundred. Not to mention the hassle of draining the cooling system to replace a 2 inch chunk of rubber.

CARS

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
$20 off $100 coupon code for eBay auto parts and accessories (i just used it on 2 tires):

CMOTORS616

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

scuz posted:

I am incredibly rear end-backwards with my podcast listening technique, but I just find the ones I like, download the raw MP3 and put them on a thumbdrive for enjoyment when I'm driving. I've had real mixed success with aggregators.

Also, regarding SA suckage, I think AI, TFR, Games, SH/SC, A/T and most of the associated subforms are pretty drat good with good posters and content on average. Venture from most of those at your peril though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Yo, STR and other goons in the know. Kenmore's the brand to get for refrigerators, right? We have to get one for the new house. We'd like a bottom-freezer model with ice maker and, ideally, water dispenser; any suggestions?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Kenmore Elite 79043, LG LDC24370ST and Kenmore Elite 79023 are the top 3 that Consumer Reports recommends for bottom-freezer refrigerators in descending order.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Kenmore doesn't manufacture anything, they are rebranded for them by the big manufacturers. I would personally avoid Kenmore right now and stick with the main brands if for only Sears might be gone in the next year or so.

My in-laws just went through a new home build and my FIL is incredibly anal and he did absolutely exhaustive investigating of brands and models. After his months (no joke) of comparing and reading reviews, he ended up with a Samsung fridge with a bottom freezer and water/ice dispenser. It is really a super nice fridge. Only nit-pick I might give is when you go crushed instead of cubed ice, you need to make sure the mouth of the glass is right up against the dispenser or you're going to get ice shrapnel flying around.

If you are going to buy a new dishwasher though, I can tell you this from personal experience, don't buy anything but a Bosch.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
While we're on the subject, who makes a decent vacuum? I've gone through two Bissells this year from beater bar bearings seizing up and melting either the bar or the case. The last one not only got tangled on hair but pushed the hair inside the bearing, where it melted internally.

Apparently the Kenmore Elite 31150 is the BMF of vacuums that don't break down, but it also isn't available in Canada except via eBay sellers.

The Dysons feel a little fragile to me, but that might be because of my anti-European bias.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 21, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I've always had a bit of an issue with the entire Consumer Reports ratings. Kenmore is a great example of that and how they seem to typically place. When I was looking for a washer and dryer several years ago, there was one in particular I had my eye on. The interesting thing was that literally the exact washer and dryer pair were manufactured by Electrolux for Kenmore, GE and Frigidaire. Literally exact, same factory, same parts, same everything. Just a different name on the plastic. True triplets for all intents and purposes.

The ratings varied wildly, with Kenmore as #1, Frigidaire a few dozen places or so down, and the last triplet, the GE almost at the end of the list. I ran into a similar thing a few years ago when dishwasher shopping. Bosch was manufacturing the bulk of the Kenmore washers and for some bizarre reason they seemed to always place higher than their twin main-brand counterparts.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

While we're on the subject, who makes a decent vacuum? I've gone through two Bissells this year from beater bar bearings seizing up and melting either the bar or the case. The last one not only got tangled on hair but pushed the hair inside the bearing, where it melted internally.

Apparently the Kenmore Elite 31150 is the BMF of vacuums that don't break down, but it also isn't available in Canada except via eBay sellers.

The Dysons feel a little fragile to me, but that might be because of my anti-European bias.

Miele and Electrolux always treated me well and will almost certainly last you decades.

Personally, I would buy something at Costco (either online or in store) try it, and if its terrible just return it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I think Meile vacuums are regarded as the cream of the crop nowadays.

• Locked thread