Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I can see carrots, sort of, in a misguided belief that mirepoix was required.

But potatoes is just crazy.

It's quite nice on top of potatoes. As long as they've been cut into sticks and deep fried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Spudalicious posted:

So I just got a smoker, and though I have posted in the smoker thread, I'm crossposting here because I think there is potential for wonderful synergy of smoking chilis and/or meats and then making chili with them.

Does anyone have any experience here or will I be attacking this frontier alone and confused.

I smoke pork shoulder and make chili from it instead of ground beef. Really comes out satisfying.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Does anybody else make chilli to freeze and take to work as lunches?

Been finding reheating the chilli makes the flavour a bit flat and the water separate. Not inedible, but nothing like fresh out of the pot.

Does anybody have any tricks for keeping flavours up after a freeze/reheat cycle?

In other chilli tips, beef heart seared then cooked in a pressure cooker is nearly indistinguishable from skirt steak cooked at the same time. Definitely just going to cook with heart from now on, so much cheaper.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Horse Clocks posted:

Been finding reheating the chilli makes the flavour a bit flat and the water separate. Not inedible, but nothing like fresh out of the pot.

Does anybody have any tricks for keeping flavours up after a freeze/reheat cycle?

In other chilli tips, beef heart seared then cooked in a pressure cooker is nearly indistinguishable from skirt steak cooked at the same time. Definitely just going to cook with heart from now on, so much cheaper.

Stirring should quickly re-mix the water and the rest of the chili. Also I'd say keep a bag with toppings in the fridge to throw in and brighten things up. Something like a little sandwich bag with chopped white onion/cheese/maybe cilantro/possibly something crunchy.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^ do that and serve it over some rice.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
I basically always serve my chili over rice nowadays it just makes it go so much farther and if you're making it right it's not like you're lacking for flavor.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Cornbread is my favorite chili starch by far.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ben Nevis posted:

This for sure. Alternatively Fritos.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Apparently tomorrow we're cleaning out the freezer and pantry and making some chili with the stuff we've got. We've got all the basics for a standard chili, and I'm looking to try something a bit different. It's gonna be a bit basic, with ground beef and some decent home made chili powder and all the standard ingredients. I've already made several of the recipes in this thread, so I guess I'm just looking for little tricks or things to add to just make this batch a bit different from basic.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Ben Nevis posted:

Fresh corn tortillas are super effort but are p tasty too...

Pork tails were on sale, guess what's going in my next pot.

kitten
Feb 6, 2003

Horse Clocks posted:

This most recent batch, I've been adding chipotle in adobo before I reheat it, seems to work well enough for me.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So pantry-clean-out chili went pretty well. I ended up using the following:

2.5lbs ground beef
1lb smoked chorizo, sliced
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 medium sweet onions, chopped
4 or 5 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2lb each dry pinto and red kidney beans
1 large can crushed tomatoes
2 cans fire roasted rotel
1 can "chili style" ancho pepper and diced tomato
2 cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 bottle Left Hand Brewery's Nitro Milk Stout
4 cups beef stock
2tbsp spice mix, explained below

I started off soaking the beans overnight in a pot of salted water. I drained them before I started cooking, but did not rinse them or pre-cook them.

I began cooking by browning the beef in the pot. Once the beef had released its juices and was mostly browned, I took a slotted spoon and removed as much as I could from the pot and set it aside. I let the fat render down a bit, then I threw the veggies and garlic and let them sweat in the beef fat till nearly soft, then took them out, being careful to save as much of the fat as possible, and set them in the bowl of beans. Next, I tossed the chorizo into the beef fat and let those brown. Once they were done, I added the beef back into the pot and let it get a bit of color, now that most of the fat and other liquids had been used up.

Once that was done, i added everything else to the pot. Veggies, beans, beer, stock, and tomatoes. Earlier, while going through the pantry, I found an old container of spice mix that I hadn't seen in literal years. It was sealed, and as soon as I tasted it, I knew why I never used it. It was nothing but spice. cayenne throughout, with a bit of salt and the very slightest taste of herbs. Along with that mix, I grabbed my actually-good spice mix, which was a bunch of dried chilies that I toasted and ground, a box of unsweetened cocoa powder, some Trader Joes coffee bbq spice rub, and some thyme, basil, corriander leaves, cumin, allspice, and nutmeg. I combined the powders in a ratio of 2 tbsp each cocoa powder and good chili powder to .5tsp spicy hell powder and added in a dash of the other herbs and spices. The result was something bitter, hot, not too salty, and very complex. I threw 2tbsp of it into the pot along with 2 very good and fresh bay leaves and let it simmer for 2 hours. Then I let it rest overnight and heated it again tonight for dinner.

The result is different from any chili I've ever made. It's almost blood red, with a thin broth and not too much chunk to it. The beans are almost entirely intact, and firm, just slightly toothsome, not mushy at all. Taste-wise, it's got a bit of heat, but not a ton. It's nearly tangy from the bitter cocoa and coffee, with a slight hint of the beer at the very end. Overall, extremely tasty for something I threw together with no plan. I'd likely use stew beef next time instead of ground, and maybe add some cornmeal as a thickener possibly. Otherwise though, it's really good.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
This is it. This is the "chili" recipe that has finally broken me.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Doom Rooster posted:

pfft, it doesn't even have french onion soup mix in the ingredient list, can't be that bad.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think I'm finally willing to try different cuts of beef in my chili. Would a combination of stew beef, oxtail, beef heart, and beef chorizo in equal ratios be any good?

EDIT: I'm also trying to decide whether or not to use a combination of Coke and beer in my next batch of chili, instead of just beer.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 14, 2016

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Doom Rooster posted:

Buddy, it's "cleaning out the pantry and freezer chili". What the gently caress are you expecting? At least I didn't serve it over loving macaroni. Because we had like 3 half filled boxes of elbow noodles. Next time I make chili, I'll be sure to rip out a cow's still-beating heart and pump the chili paste composed entirely of dried Carolina Reapers through it to both infuse the chili with its power, and slowly cook it from the inside out until it's tender and savory. For now though, I'll stick with the pot of good edible food I've got on the stove that's fed me and my wife for the last 3 days and will continue to feed us for another 4 or 5 meals.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Horse Clocks posted:

I think my chili generally tastes better after it is frozen and reheated.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

neogeo0823 posted:

Buddy, it's "cleaning out the pantry and freezer chili".
Sorry buddy, it still sounds pretty gross.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Illinois Smith posted:

Sorry buddy, it still sounds pretty gross.

Why, exactly? The beans and ground beef? No, wait, it's the addition of the celery, isn't it? I had 1 bell pepper to use and wanted to bulk out veggie content some more. Looking over the rest of the ingredients, it's really not that different from any other chili. I didn't use any premade spice packets, I used decent beer that complimented the flavors of the spices, I cooked everything the way you'd normally expect it to be cooked. Is it the cocoa powder and coffee? Try it some time. You'd be surprised how much it doesn't taste like chocolate or coffee at all in the end.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

None of us should be judged for our chili. Let's make this a chili safe space.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

neogeo0823 posted:

Why, exactly? The beans and ground beef? No, wait, it's the addition of the celery, isn't it? I had 1 bell pepper to use and wanted to bulk out veggie content some more. Looking over the rest of the ingredients, it's really not that different from any other chili. I didn't use any premade spice packets, I used decent beer that complimented the flavors of the spices, I cooked everything the way you'd normally expect it to be cooked. Is it the cocoa powder and coffee? Try it some time. You'd be surprised how much it doesn't taste like chocolate or coffee at all in the end.

Beyond what you mentioned, the main problems are that you used about 5lbs worth of tomatoes, with only 3.5lbs of meat, way too much liquid and way less actual chili powder than would be normal. You made some kind of weird southwest inspired watery spaghetti sauce with beans in it.

edit: I am totally on board with a little bit of dark cocoa or coffee in chili. Adds a good darkness and depth of flavor (not necessary if you have a good bit of toasted ancho though)

Beans and ground beef are not "my pure chili ideal", but it's fine.

A little bit of celery I don't think is a good idea, but is not gross.

Bell pepper is again, not a great idea IMO, but would be fine if you didn't already have so much sweetness from the tomatoes and the sweet beer.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 16, 2016

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

I get a kick out of chili nazis.

edit: My chili has pulled smoked pork and black beans.

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 16, 2016

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Doom Rooster posted:

Beyond what you mentioned, the main problems are that you used about 5lbs worth of tomatoes, with only 3.5lbs of meat, way too much liquid and way less actual chili powder than would be normal. You made some kind of weird southwest inspired watery spaghetti sauce with beans in it.

edit: I am totally on board with a little bit of dark cocoa or coffee in chili. Adds a good darkness and depth of flavor (not necessary if you have a good bit of toasted ancho though)

Beans and ground beef are not "my pure chili ideal", but it's fine.

A little bit of celery I don't think is a good idea, but is not gross.

Bell pepper is again, not a great idea IMO, but would be fine if you didn't already have so much sweetness from the tomatoes and the sweet beer.

Ok, fine, I'll concede and even agree with you on most of these points. I will admit that the chili was initially more watery than I would like. After reheating the 2nd day though, it boiled down to a really good consistency. In hindsight, I should've added half of the beer and beef stock, or drained the tomatoes. I also would've likely added more chili powder if I hadn't had the chorizo and all the fire roasted ancho chili and jalapeno whatever tomatoes. I'm not a fan of very hot chili. I like to taste deep, complex flavors over mouth searing heat. Considering that, I feel like I added an appropriate amount of spice, but I did save a bunch just in case the end product needed more. It's just that I didn't feel like it did.

For what it's worth, I'm totally fine with people critiquing one of my recipes, as long as it's constructive criticism. However, having people just being all like "Welp, this is garbage" and not even trying to be helpful about it just sets me off, and I was already having a bad day that day.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
It doesn't really sound that bad, except in my mind it's a weird mashup between beef stew and chili because of the presence of both trinity (usually mirepoix for beef stew) and beans (usually not in beef stew, sometimes in chili). I'm sure it tasted fine even if it's not a normal recipe.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Welp, making my own mess of chilli. Also cleaning out the freezer a bit, but also had fresh produce (tamaties!) to use up. So!

Meat: 2lb Chuck roast, .5lb beef heart, 1lb goat shoulder, honk of seasoning pork belly.
Not meat: 2lbs fresh tomatoes, 2 large onions, some dried red chillies (rehydrated) smoked sweet paprika, dark chilli powder (cheating, I knoooow!), other stuff I don't remember I go a bit mad with the spice cabinet and garden .
Liquid: Chicken stock coca cola, soy sauce.

Rendered fat off pork belly, browned off all the meat, then simmered off the tomatoes in the fond. Also toasted and rehydrated chillies. Added spices to tomatoes. Dumped all in crock pot with chicken stock and a can of coke. Diced two onions, threw in crock pot. Added a slug of soy sauce. Simmering now for the next 6 hours, outside where the 97° 90% direct sunlight murderheat of Florida can help it along. Broth already tastes good, can only imagine what it will be like once the gelatin starts flowing. Salt to taste.

This will be to feed a big group of navy peeps who come by to volunteer. This chilli and some rice and beans should fill them up. Will also provide hot sauce, since this batch should only have a hint of heat.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 17, 2016

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Nobody should give a poo poo about what goes into your chili unless it's a packet of ranch dressing powder. Or turkey.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Ranter posted:

Nobody should give a poo poo about what goes into your chili unless it's a packet of ranch dressing powder. Or turkey.

French onion soup mix
Creamed corn
Shiitake mushrooms
Arsenic

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'd like to see someone work mushrroms into a chili and have it work.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Enourmo posted:

Did button mushrooms and it tasted good.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Enourmo posted:

Well, I mean. Usually Shiitake mushrooms are used to add a meaty flavor to dishes. If you finely diced them or treated them like bay leaves and removed them at the end, they'd probably make an excellent addition to even the most traditional Texas beef chili.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Chanterelles would be awesome in chili. Most good wild mushrooms would be actually, I bet.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Ranter posted:

About once a year my wife insists we use the ground turkey she buys for no reason every year for a batch of vile vomit she calls chili.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Turkey can be used to make stew, for sure. Just use chicken broth, a can of green chiles, lots cilantro, white beans and you have something. I dunno what, but certainly a thing. Just not chili.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Missing Name posted:

Turkey can be used to make stew, for sure. Just use chicken broth, a can of green chiles, lots cilantro, white beans and you have something. I dunno what, but certainly a thing. Just not chili.

Chili verde, which is a real thing, but not a Texas Bowl Of Red which is apparently the only definition of chili for some people.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Missing Name posted:

There was a restaurant in Grand Rapids, MI called "Paunchy Pete's" that had a Mexican White Hot Chili made with turkey that hurt going down and coming out. I'd defiantly call that bowl of delicious misery chili.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Missing Name posted:

Just not chili.
I think you can make "turkey chili" with turkey. It's still a subset of chili and it might not be what most people are expecting, so you really gotta have the warning be the very first word of the name of the dish.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Anyone have any idea what kinda chiles these are? No idea myself, just had some seeds.

Look like ordinary chiles to me, except they haven't turned red, perhaps they will later in the season.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

His Divine Shadow posted:

Anyone have any idea what kinda chiles these are? No idea myself, just had some seeds.

Look like ordinary chiles to me, except they haven't turned red, perhaps they will later in the season.

They look like either cayennes or serranos to me.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Enourmo posted:

I love adding dried mushrooms into mine. They dissolve and contribute to the meaty flavor. It was based on an Alton Brown trick he used for tomato sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

They look like either cayennes or serranos to me.

Used some last night and hardly any heat at all in them. Some of them were very large, much larger than serranos usually are. Almost wondering if it's some kind of bell pepper.