Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Chill Penguin posted:

You're all wrong, War Machine has just been re-cast again.

Even though it would confuse 90% of their audience and make no sense, I want Marvel to have a really avante-garde and meta movie where War Machine is played by several different actors and it is never acknowledged.

Black Widow gets assigned a solo mission and then at the last second has Iron Man assigned as her partner and the mission veers off into an aerial combat situation where Tony just leaves Widow behind.

Hawkeye is killed within 5 seconds in the first battle involving someone with superpowers or advanced technology.

Stan Lee has a cameo as a scientist played completely straight and delivers a soliloquy about black hole mass.

Hulk has to undergo a mission to save children from an orphanage without Hulking out and endangering them all. The dastardly villain rigs the orphanage to play the Liv Tyler animal cracker scene from Armageddon when Bruce enters. If he gets a boner all the children die.

Aunt May gets progressively younger and hotter throughout the movie, until she is played by Kate Upton in the epilogue. Uncle Ben is played by the same actor from Spider-Man 1.

It is revealed that Dr. Strange has no powers because magic existing is an absurd idea.

Everyone becomes infected with a symbiote at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
DC and Warner invited some press in for "we're sorry" Justice League set visits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76PNBV5TZsw

http://io9.gizmodo.com/on-the-set-of-justice-league-the-movie-that-wants-to-s-1782290344
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/21/weve-seen-some-of-the-lighter-more-fun-justice-league-movie
http://nerdist.com/yes-batman-v-superman-affected-the-tone-of-justice-league/
http://uproxx.com/movies/justice-league-set-visit/

I'm sure there are other articles being posted out there too. Trying to get some good word of mouth back on their side, they invited a lot of the critical BVS press for a set visit with no embargo on what they saw.

Largely all the articles are the same, since they generally all saw the same things being filmed. They seemed to be encouraged by the changes in tone they saw.

Teek fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 21, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They are finally giving film critics the most important thing: access

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

quote:

“The main thing we learned [on Batman v Superman] is that people don’t like to see their heroes deconstructed,” said producer Deborah Snyder. “They like seeing them in all their glory… I think what’s really great is where we’re going is kind of what the audience is wanting. We just had to take the characters from somewhere to bring them up to where they are and that was our journey.”

Yes because that was the problem with batman v superman. Fans just couldn't handle their superheroes' being "deconstructed" :rolleyes:

This movie is going to be loving terrible.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, "deconstruction" is terrible phrase that doesn't mean anything. People didn't like BvS because it wasn't what they wanted.

e: VVV yeah, wrong word

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 21, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Watching the trailers BvS was exactly what I expected, overall bad with a handful of cool scenes

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Seems to me Batman v Superman was what a lot of people expected, which was why they didn't go see it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Yeah, "deconstruction" is terrible phrase that doesn't mean anything. People didn't like BvS because it wasn't what they wanted.

But that quote's also not saying that's the only thing it taught them.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Monaghan posted:

Yes because that was the problem with batman v superman. Fans just couldn't handle their superheroes' being "deconstructed" :rolleyes:

Well, I mean she's not wrong. At least regarding how they've handled Superman in the DCEU thus far. As an example, the guys at Red Letter Media have pointed this out several times in the past; they don't like how the MoS and BvS deconstruct the mythos of Superman into something real world and grounded, where every action he does is political and terrifying, with hard consequences, etc. They'd prefer a movie with Superman to be an escapist experience, not an experience that reminds them how lovely real life is. Plenty of people share that same sentiment because lol look at the reviews.

I didn't mind the tone of MoS or BvS, but they were really in the deep end of dark. Looking forward to seeing more levity in Justice League, and everything I've read this morning seems pretty solid on paper.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I've been watching a lot of cutthroat kitchen lately, and I'm pretty sure "deconstructed" is code for "due to circumstances I am completely unable to provide the basic structure of the requested item"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

According to TVTropes.org:

quote:

"Deconstruction" literally means "to take something apart." When applied to tropes or other aspects of fiction, deconstruction means to take apart a trope so as to better understand its meaning and relevance to us in Real Life. This often means pursuing a trope's inherent contradictions and the difference between how the trope appears in this one work and how it compares to other relevant tropes or ideas both in fiction and Real Life.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TVTropes aside that quote kinda reads as "people didn't like this movie because it was too smart for them," which is a terrible attitude to have, especially in regards to a movie as profoundly dumb as BvS.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's actually a rpetty smart movie about power and responsibility. Besides, basically everyone got the movie, they just didn't like the message.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 21, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MrAristocrates posted:

TVTropes aside that quote kinda reads as "people didn't like this movie because it was too smart for them," which is a terrible attitude to have, especially in regards to a movie as profoundly dumb as BvS.

I agree, but I also don't blame her for being so defensive/passive-aggressive. BvS wasn't the dumpster fire everyone has made it out to be. It wasn't a good movie for sure, but it wasn't complete trash either imo.

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 21, 2016

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Guess I was just being petty and dumb for wanting my movies to not have tons of plot holes. gently caress me for wanting a coherent plot and character motivations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BvS only "deconstructed" it's heroes in the sense that a wrecking ball "deconstructs" a derelict building

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Monaghan posted:

Guess I was just being petty and dumb for wanting my movies to not have tons of plot holes and a coherent plot and character motivations.

Well yeah, probably.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I don't care if the on-set mantra is "Every person, especially Squizzle, is a dumb rear end in a top hat", the studio sends back "Squizzle it down!!" notes for everything they want simplified, and the cast and crew men's rooms have urinals with my picture in them. Just make a :krad: movie that I like watching. My pride will somehow survive a low assessment of my intellect.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

teagone posted:

I agree, but I also don't blame her for being so defensive/passive-aggressive. BvS wasn't the dumpster fire everyone has made it out to be. It wasn't a good movie for sure, but it wasn't complete trash either imo.

Welcome to how I felt about Spider-man 3.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
BvS and MoS both have the misfortune of coming around after deconstruction became popular in comics and then wore out its welcome. If Snyder can say that they learned that general audiences may not want to see Batman and Superman broken down, I say good on them. Hopefully they learned more than that, but that quote gives me hope. That's a fine place to start.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spider-Man 3 owns

EDIT: Still haven't seen BvS, but all the trailers suggested that it did that thing where Superman flies around all angry with glowy red eyes and that's like my least favorite version of Superman. And I did see MoS and hated it and didn't expect a change of course, which seems to be the case.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Endless Mike posted:

Superman flies around all angry with glowy red eyes

Well sometimes he looks vaguely bummed, too. He's a multi layered character.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I liked BvS but totally get why people would hate it. It's not for everyone. It was definitely weaker than most other comic movies this year.

But I really don't understand why people hate MoS. It's so good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Spider-Man 3 owns

EDIT: Still haven't seen BvS, but all the trailers suggested that it did that thing where Superman flies around all angry with glowy red eyes and that's like my least favorite version of Superman. And I did see MoS and hated it and didn't expect a change of course, which seems to be the case.

Oh, Spider-man 3 is a much better film than BvS, but people were calling it the worst movie of all time for a while.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

greatn posted:

I liked BvS but totally get why people would hate it. It's not for everyone. It was definitely weaker than most other comic movies this year.

Because it's not what they wanted. Just above you'll find plenty of people judging both movies based on what they wanted. Like if somebody came around and said that they're not gonna watch a movie where Aquaman looks at someone obsequiously.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The best part of Spider-Man 3 is when you realize that all the douchey dancing is not to music.

There's music because it's a movie, but Peter is just dancing like a jackass to nothing.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

greatn posted:

MoS had some blatant plot holes, poor dialogue, a Krypton sequence that I have never felt was necessary, and Cavill plays a dull Superman. Might not be his fault, but he is. I thought BvS was an alright movie, I'd gladly watch it on TV if it was between that and MoS. BvS had its flaws too, but less so than Man of Steel from where I was sitting. I guess on the other hand I can't understand how someone could think MoS was particularly good or great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Batman v. Superman was actually the movie I wanted and I have posts in multiple threads backing that up.

It was, however, not a good movie, at bare minimum because the editing and pacing was absolutely atrocious and it sidelines the actual interest parts of the film in favor of a meaningless fight against a rampaging monster that avoids having to deal with any consequences. I can't particularly call it a smart film. It has creative ideas but they're so poorly executed that calling it 'smart' feels like praising it for the concepts and not what it has to say.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Lurdiak posted:

Oh, Spider-man 3 is a much better film than BvS, but people were calling it the worst movie of all time for a while.

Worst superhero movie maybe, and then worse ones came out.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Old Man Pants posted:

That doesn't seem fair. X-Men 3 was already out by the time Spidey 3 came out.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

It was, however, not a good movie, at bare minimum because the editing and pacing was absolutely atrocious and it sidelines the actual interest parts of the film in favor of a meaningless fight against a rampaging monster that avoids having to deal with any consequences.

I don't think you quite got the movie.

Doomsday is the consequence of everything that's come before. He's literally Zod (Superman's great failure in MoS) resurrected by Luthor's will to destroy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Old Man Pants posted:

Man, not even close. Steel, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, the 89 Punisher, Superman 4, Supergirl, the mid-90s Captain America...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Technically it wasn't even the worst Spider-Man movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I don't think you quite got the movie.

Doomsday is the consequence of everything that's come before. He's literally Zod resurrected, the darkest moment of MoS come back.

That's fine, except Zod isn't the interesting part of the movie. There's nothing interesting about ~Zod Resurrected~ vs the actual central conflict of the film. Batman's bizarre hosed-up inability to deal with his loss of power in the face of 9/11 and his immense xenophobia that results from it and Superman's awkward mix of immense personal power and complete powerlessness against people and opinion are far more interesting and Doomsday's appearance conveniently avoids having to deal with anything meaningful from them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So this is now the second time that the studio or the director has basically implied that their fans are not smart enough to 'get' BvS?

Maybe not have a Superman who is indistinguishable from Batman. It's kind of ridiculous to have them fight when they have almost the same view of humanity.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Batman v. Superman was actually the movie I wanted and I have posts in multiple threads backing that up.

It was, however, not a good movie, at bare minimum because the editing and pacing was absolutely atrocious and it sidelines the actual interest parts of the film in favor of a meaningless fight against a rampaging monster that avoids having to deal with any consequences. I can't particularly call it a smart film. It has creative ideas but they're so poorly executed that calling it 'smart' feels like praising it for the concepts and not what it has to say.

This is what pisses me off of some of the defenders of the film. I admit I thought the portrayalof superman and batman were terrible.But there's criticism of the movie besides it's portrayal of existing characters. Dismissing all criticism of the film as "well its not they wanted" and " I didn't get the movie" is annoying.

Aphrodite posted:

Technically it wasn't even the worst Spider-Man movie.

I'd happily watch spider man 3 before sitting through amazing spider man 2 again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I don't think you get consequence, as that isn't it. Him being resurrected isn't a consequence, as the other choice, letting him live, would most likely have ended in the same manner.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm not sure it's still xenophobia when aliens actually came to Earth with the goal to destroy it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I'm not sure it's still xenophobia when aliens actually came to Earth with the goal to destroy it.

Superman didn't and he's the primary target of Batman's ire because he is of the same race as the people who did.

(It's really because Batman hates feeling powerless and is trying to justify it to himself.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

SonicRulez posted:

Cavill plays a dull Superman. Might not be his fault, but he is.

Watch him in The Man from UNCLE. He's completely different from Superman.

• Locked thread