Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

Something unrelated I realized when going over some Spells is that there's an explanation for the back-in-time dark shrine in the game. Light is literally Time. Reversing Time means reversing Light - turning something utterly lightless turns back time. Although as with every lore thing that depends on a single item description, you gotta wonder how much of that is actually there or just exists in the english translation.

What spells are you referencing here? Repair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So what you're saying is From is anti-war.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Suitaru posted:

What spells are you referencing here? Repair?

Yep. While the effects of this spell are rather subtle, its foundations are a well-guarded secret. Light is time, and the reversal of its effects is a forbidden art.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Toady posted:

Well, there are undead who light themselves on fire and run at you.

Isn't that less self-sacrifice and more indoctrinated ritualistic bullshit? I got that from how the evangelists handed over red bug pellets so the adherents could weather the unbearable pain of setting themselves on fire. The Cathedral of the Deep in general seems very traditional cult horror, with things like the puddles of blood made with notched whips in the cleansing chapel. Also, I think that like most traditional cults, the deacons and anyone not a peon sure as gently caress wouldn't be performing any of these horrifying things on themselves.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
yo I ran into darkwraiths for the first time and they fought some weird lookin things and lost somehow and both dropped dark swords. game is fun: confirmed

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

mortons stork posted:

Isn't that less self-sacrifice and more indoctrinated ritualistic bullshit?

What's the difference?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

imagine if you could power stance the dark sword

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Having watched glanced at Limit Breakers videos on armor durability, and between it and poise I'm wondering how many more vestigial systems there actually are in DS3. The broken armor effect looks pretty cool though.

Manatee Cannon posted:

imagine if you could power stance the dark sword

become unstoppable

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm imagining a double version of the dork sword's goofy R2 and the image seems really good in my head.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

RBA Starblade posted:

Having watched glanced at Limit Breakers videos on armor durability
Spoilers for that video: the armor still isn't broken by the end of it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

I'm imagining a double version of the dork sword's goofy R2 and the image seems really good in my head.

It has the same animation on DS1 and looked cool as hell. In fact I did a full playthrough (plus NG+) as Dark Wraith and was cool as hell. Only 4-kings on NG+ was kind of difficult and had to switch to a Claymore to deal more damage.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Yep. While the effects of this spell are rather subtle, its foundations are a well-guarded secret. Light is time, and the reversal of its effects is a forbidden art.

It's cool that they come out and say that when it's been such a low-key but omnipresent theme in all the games. Linear time didn't exist before the fire, and now it's falling apart because the fire is going out. Even the divergence of one player's reality from another's mirrors quantum ideas that were first figured out IRL by people studying the movement of light over time.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

What are some of the best weapons for a Dex build? Should I go for Bleed then?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Mixing dex and luck is probably best for dex. From what ive seen pure dex weapons arent that amazing. The better ones need to either invest in STR or luck to be worth it.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Mystic Stylez posted:

My first build was Dex with the Uchi. Infuse to sharp and use Carthous Rouge and everything will bleed like crazy. Nice thing is, the Uchi is available right at the start of the game so you can do the whole game with it.

Don't infuse to Bleed. The buff is much better than the infusion.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Bleed is so drat good. Any of the carthus weapons with minimum str/dex and softcapped luck+hollow infusion are deadly for both PVE and PVP.

Bleed infusion sucks though.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Yeah don't infuse, buffing with Carthus Rogue is way better. And invest in Dex over Luck, so you base damage isn't poo poo. Luck helps with bleed, but not to the extent buffing with Carthus Rogue does. You can invest in luck later if you want to infuse your weapon hollow.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Verizian posted:

Bleed is so drat good. Any of the carthus weapons with minimum str/dex and softcapped luck+hollow infusion are deadly for both PVE and PVP.

Bleed infusion sucks though.

At 40/40/35, hollow infusion makes them a god drat beast. The regular carthus curved sword gets an ar of around 475, and the twin katanas like 450 or so.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Spoilers for that video: the armor still isn't broken by the end of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fujZ7uy6JU

Three hours of being beaten up by crabs and the armor still isnt broken

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is it actually that hard to get your armor broken? Don't the dragon babies vomit acid at you?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Acid surge? Relevant bit at 2:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiM48lb7n3A&t=180s

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

That spell, or one like it, was super dangerous in SotFS. I remember some invaders constantly spamming me with it in Aldia's Keep and actually having trouble countering with one in particular. Just stripped down, chased, and punched him to death, but that really drove home how dangerous that spell was.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Fire Barrel posted:

That spell, or one like it, was super dangerous in SotFS. I remember some invaders constantly spamming me with it in Aldia's Keep and actually having trouble countering with one in particular. Just stripped down, chased, and punched him to death, but that really drove home how dangerous that spell was.

That and if they never changed it from vanilla 2, breaking armor was the only thing invaders could do that 5000 souls and a ring slot couldn't fix.

E: and of course beating Havel Hexers.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mystic Stylez posted:

Sellsword twin blades

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Does the Morion Blade have particularly poor bleed buildup? Admittedly my luck is 7 but other bleed weapons seem to build up much faster.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Arent buildups for single blade weapons basically half that of twin weapons since you're hitting once for a twin weapon's two hits?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I am making slow progress against the Twin Princes. For a while, I wasn't even able to touch their second phase before I died in lightning and fire. But I scratched them, I touched them, and in time I will destroy them. I am inevitable.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You can rest here too if you'd like.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

SynthOrange posted:

You can rest here too if you'd like.

Yeah it's great writing, and it has amazing gravitas, but it starts to get old after the dozenth time you've heard it...

PepperSinclaire
Jan 21, 2007

But everyone's doooing it!

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Yeah it's great writing, and it has amazing gravitas, but it starts to get old after the dozenth time you've heard it...

Yeah, I was SunBroing around the Archives and went a bit mad hearing another dogged contender... over & over. Skip the loving cutscene already! The doors are open, I know you've seen it before!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Too mopey to get out of bed. Even fights in his bedclothes. The ultimate goon.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I am making slow progress against the Twin Princes. For a while, I wasn't even able to touch their second phase before I died in lightning and fire. But I scratched them, I touched them, and in time I will destroy them. I am inevitable.

I just reached them and to say the least I am not looking forward to that shitfest.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Miracle/Faith Trip Report:

Found a perfect solution to Dancer: Gnaw/Dorhys' Gnawing. She's super allergic to Bleed. It procs on the 3rd cast of Gnaw, with 40 Faith. (Not sure if Faith matters for that one, probably not. My Luck is whatever default is). If Luck does affect how fast it procs, that could be some dangerous poo poo - causing fools to Bleed at a distance. Perhaps I'll respec and try it before I hit NG+

Dragonslayer Armor is super Lightning resistant, which rendered my +10 Lightning Lucerne USELESS. It was hitting for like <70 and that's with 40 Faith. I had to run back and +7 a Mace which I took Heavy, netting me maybe 30 more AR. Is there a good infusion to pick when you only have minimum stats? I have 15 Str, 13 Dex, which is minimum to use the Lucerne. I would have gone Raw if I had a spare stone. He finally barely went down with the help of a Sunbro who sacrificed himself at the very end of the fight. I think I finished DA off just in time for him to collect his ember, though.

Solo chumped Oceieros pretty hard with the Lucerne. Went and tagged the bonfire at Untended Graves which is where I now sit. May dip back out and do Archdragon Peak first because Lightning/Miracle things are there. I am currently SL 60.

Looks like the only Miracle I will lack for the Achievement will be Darkmoon Blade, unless summons mysteriously start happening when I hit one of the PvP meta levels. Already snagged the first of the Sunbro miracles, and am 5-6 medals in for the 2nd.

For the most part, it has played like a melee build, with some utility spells. The Gnaw spells do good things against Pus of Man enemies (~540 hp per cast or so), and do good chip damage against most things. You can soften up the Knights in Consumed King's Garden to the point where it only takes 3 hits by the time they reach you. And I'm not sure if it's the Lucerne itself or the Lightning, but all but the most heavily armored enemies stagger in 1 hit, and everyone staggers in 2. The reach is still its main advantage.

I don't normally play melee-heavy builds, but this one has been fun. I plan on picking up another Lucerne in NG+ and taking it Raw to see if the buffs offer better damage output. It would be nice to have a better option when it comes to Lightning resistant opponents. I can't recall if the Storm King is resistant to it, but I am already not looking forward to that fight.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
low health run = ignorant slaves

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

turtlecrunch posted:

low health run = ignorant slaves

Pretty much. Imo this game is way too dependent on pumping vigor even more so than Bloodborne. Too many one- or two-shot attacks even if you have 1000+ health.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

skasion posted:

Pretty much. Imo this game is way too dependent on pumping vigor even more so than Bloodborne. Too many one- or two-shot attacks even if you have 1000+ health.

I'm honestly kind of astonished at how few attacks are one-shot kills, even running around Lothric Castle as a level 1 Deprived. Even when I eat a hit from Prince Lorian, I can usually roll clear and chug an Estus to pop back to full.

Lloyd's rings are pretty fantastic for a level 1 run, given that if you aren't at full health, you are absolutely going to chug estus because the next hit will kill you if you don't. I have almost never taken them off. I'm not sure how many attacks the Lloyd's Shield Ring has turned from 1-hit kills to 2-hit kills.

----

A subtlety of the dodge mechanic I discovered during my first playthrough is that you leap in to the dodge roll the second you release the dodge/run button. What's actually happening is, once you depress the B button, a timer about a second long starts counting down. If you release the B button before the timer elapses, you backstep/dodge roll on the release of the B button. If you hold the B button down until the timer elapses, you start running.

What this means is that if you know an attack is starting, you can depress the B button to prime for a dodge, then release instead of tap. It only gives you like 0.1 seconds better precision, if that, but given that the invincibility frames only last 0.4 seconds, that's pretty useful!

RiotGearEpsilon fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 22, 2016

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

HaB posted:

Miracle/Faith Trip Report:

Dragonslayer Armor is super Lightning resistant, which rendered my +10 Lightning Lucerne USELESS. It was hitting for like <70 and that's with 40 Faith. I had to run back and +7 a Mace which I took Heavy, netting me maybe 30 more AR. Is there a good infusion to pick when you only have minimum stats? I have 15 Str, 13 Dex, which is minimum to use the Lucerne. I would have gone Raw if I had a spare stone. He finally barely went down with the help of a Sunbro who sacrificed himself at the very end of the fight. I think I finished DA off just in time for him to collect his ember, though.

Are you not using the Raw Astora Straight Sword? It's by far the best choice because it does outstanding damage with the raw infusion, way better than anything else and it has the longsword moveset too. You have the stats for it too. Raw stones are easily farmed, everything in the undead village can drop them so just go on a rampage and you should get a few right quick.

edit: forgot to mention the Raw Astora Straight Sword's name is compacted to RawASS, which is reason enough to use it imo

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 22, 2016

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

No one seems to mention the Sunlight Straight Sword in this little corner of the internet, but I respecced a guy for it on a lark, 40/40 with 16 faith and 10 attunement. It is absolutely sick in pve, it does 454 damage normally but when you use its buff it goes up to 507 physical standard damage for 45 seconds. It melts through everything in the game like nothing else I've tried. I'm not sure if in pvp it'll be better than a longsword buffed with Blessed Weapon because what the longsword would give up in damage would be traded for a longer blade, and you can use a Lingering ring to extend Blessed Weapon. Also with 10 attunement you get 2 buffs before you need a blue estus which should be more than enough time to finish a duel. This sword is now my favorite weapon that's not in the greataxe or halberd classes. Give it a try if you're into min/max tryhard rear end in a top hat builds, it's really something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

skasion posted:

bloodborne isn't dependent on your health outside of defiled dungeons because those halve your total. you don't need more than about 25 vigor for the main game

I stopped at like 27 in this game iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Filthy Hans posted:

Are you not using the Raw Astora Straight Sword? It's by far the best choice because it does outstanding damage with the raw infusion, way better than anything else and it has the longsword moveset too. You have the stats for it too. Raw stones are easily farmed, everything in the undead village can drop them so just go on a rampage and you should get a few right quick.

edit: forgot to mention the Raw Astora Straight Sword's name is compacted to RawASS, which is reason enough to use it imo

Oh I've seen plenty of RawASS in my day :smug:

I was just trying to avoid it this time, so I didn't even pick it up, since I literally start every build that way.