Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Not to talk too much about a game you're not playing but I honestly can't wait for Turok 2 Remastered to come out because just the first one with mouse control was so much more ridiculously fun and I never knew there was a PC release back in the day. As much as I loved Turok 2 I don't think I could come back to it today.

I tried when the thread first started.

It hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I love how the entrails wave at you before going invisible. I might gif it later.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Y-Hat posted:

"The smallest spiders are the smallest?" You don't say. :v:

Why were you more gung-ho in this video? You fought more conservatively before.

I couldn't find a way out of that sentence. :v:

The eagerness was caused by my being unable to find a normal break point for the video. I'd been breaking them up by save point normally and by the end of this video it had been an hour since I'd seen a save point so I was getting a little anxious. It'll be another 40 mins till I see one. I'm not sure if I missed one in that past area somewhere, the one I find later I did miss for about 15 -20 mins before noticing it, so that one's on me definitely.

operative lm
Jan 27, 2009

> Fondly regard crustacean
I'm pretty sure there's only the three Save Points in this level. Bet you're gonna have fun on Level 4...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

BMS posted:

What in the hell is that in the bottom right corner? I just know this can be turned into a forum emote or smiley/animation thing or whatever SOMEHOW............

Hey BlindSally, didn't the above pictured thing's brother/lover/obvious relative play the big bad in your Shadows of the Empire LP?

Based on the fact that Adon is often seen as a hologram, I always thought of her more as a proto-Cortana. I've read a bunch of the Valiant Turok comics, which follow Joshua's extended universe adventures, but I haven't read a lot of the Acclaim ones where he and Adon have a thing, but man, looking it up, she gets crazy sexualized.

:psyduck:

What the gently caress is up with these covers. Anyways, Joshua seems like the kinda guy who likes to play the field, so I don't know how serious he and Adon were:

The older Turok comics were pretty bad for oversexualizing and making damsels of women. Tal'set was guilty of this too:

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Yeah, the 90's were not the most progressive of times for female poses in comics. The quad boobs are a new one on me though. Makes me think of a cow udder or some other animal. I don't understand how furries do it.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
"What's better than four women and eight titties? FOUR WOMEN AND SIXTEEN TITTIES" *downs a glass of fine wine*
-Joshua Fireseed

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

The older Turok comics were pretty bad for oversexualizing and making damsels of women. Tal'set was guilty of this too:

In more ways than one... he's got a major Duke Nukem vibe.

And the '90s weren't a good time for comics in general.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
That little lizard hugging her leg (even though she's a hologram? wtf) is adorable.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
When I was a kid, the Sisters of Despair gave me horrible nightmares. Bad enough that my mom didn't let me play Turok 2 for a while.

I distinctly remember them being much scarier, but PSWII60 readily dispelled that fear.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Episode 09 - A Graveyard We Can See

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I'm anxious to see if Chief-gives-you-power ups is impossible to hear over the music in the next video as he is when i'm playing the game on my own at home.

operative lm
Jan 27, 2009

> Fondly regard crustacean
I think the Player's Choice version of the game fixed the tranq ammo mess-up. Not sure, though. It did, however, fix the no blood thing with the Deadmen. If you turn the blood off, they throw what looks like dust at you instead.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

I'm a little sad they fixed the glitch with the deadmen.

I really hope Nightdive finish the Turok 2 PC remake soon-ish. Looking at some of their games it looks like they tried to do one of the other games I wanted to LP but they never finished it. Shame, these guys seem to pump out pretty good quality. The Turok 1 remake was fantastic.

Fatcat214
Feb 19, 2015

Party Poogie
After learning about the glitched ammo I'm glad they messed it up, considering how much better the Charge dart rifle is in every single way. Though i could've sworn there was a Tranquilizer box on level 3 in one of the towers?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Episode 10 - No More Zombies

Using a different audio program on this one. Feedback would be appreciated.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I don't remember. Did you ever try the Warblade against the Undead? It murdered everything else pretty good.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Nuramor posted:

I don't remember. Did you ever try the Warblade against the Undead? It murdered everything else pretty good.

Just on the deadmen. It took two swipes versus one shotgun blast. I never tried it on the Lords because of how many shotgun blast they were taking. I figured it would just take a huge amount of time otherwise. We'll be getting my favorite weapon in the next level so I'm going to do what I can to try to switch up the weapon variety a little more.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

River of Souls music does NOT sound good at chipmunk speed :(

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I still have a old Turok 2 booklet that came with a Gamepro. It served as a novelization of the game and added a bunch of side characters. I'll see if I can find it and I'll scan it in.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Archer666 posted:

I still have a old Turok 2 booklet that came with a Gamepro. It served as a novelization of the game and added a bunch of side characters. I'll see if I can find it and I'll scan it in.

That would be awesome if you still have it. If I can find my old strategy guides I had one for Turok 2 that was awful. Haven't seen that box for a couple years though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That last graveyard looked tedious as hell. I sure hope that in the next level, we get new weapons that are worth a drat.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Y-Hat posted:

That last graveyard looked tedious as hell. I sure hope that in the next level, we get new weapons that are worth a drat.

Are you implying that a gun that doesn't kill, disables for only a few seconds, takes many shots to even work, and doesn't even have working ammo pick ups is useless?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

It was. My rose colored glasses are foggy and starting to show cracks from age. The next level I know has what was my favorite weapon in the game at least, I don't remember what else it has. I would say I'll figure out what's there in my practice run but we all know those don't happen.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Turok 2 was the only N64 Turok game I never played. I'd always rent the first one and Rage Wars back when you could rent games at a store. I always thought I was missing out on something, but I guess not, aside from a couple of cool weapons.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It was actually pretty amazing for its time. It hasn't aged well, but the same can be said about the first Turok. And, well, if the remastered version of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter is anything to go by, then the Turok 2 remaster is probably going to be a must play.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Speaking of Turok 1, is it me or is 2 significantly slower paced? I'm kind of getting a slower more exploratory vibe, wheras 1 felt zippy like you were trying to find everything before the seemingly endless enemies overwhelmed you. At the very least you look like you're moving slower in 2.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

FoolyCharged posted:

Speaking of Turok 1, is it me or is 2 significantly slower paced? I'm kind of getting a slower more exploratory vibe, wheras 1 felt zippy like you were trying to find everything before the seemingly endless enemies overwhelmed you. At the very least you look like you're moving slower in 2.

There's more to do in Turok 2.

Turok 1 is mostly moving from start of level to the end while collecting keys. Turok 2 has that plus additional mandatory mission objectives, some of which require you to collect items to complete. Also there's warp portal switches and portals to for nuke weapon parts and sacred feather upgrades. Not to mention you will have to backtrack through levels. There's a few extra areas as well that let you find ultra health or new weapons.

River of Souls is a big level with quite a few open areas. The rest of the game is pretty linear and straightforward outside of THAT level, so the pace of the game picks up quite a bit.

Lord Ephraim fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 5, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It definitely felt like the first level was more fast-paced and straightforward than the River of Souls. At least there aren't nearly as many jumping puzzles in Turok 2, though that might change.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Basing it off of these first two levels Turok 2 is less exploration based and more action based. There is still some exploration which is what the the missions are. But it feels less wander around and see what kind of cool stuff you find and more go here and do this specific thing in this hidden area. It makes it feel less like you're exploring and more like you're going there because you have a job to do. As a result the levels feel more like video game levels and less like environments to me. It's kind of a grey area because you're not exploring because you feel enticed to, instead you're now exploring because you have to.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

PSWII60 posted:

The next level I know has what was my favorite weapon in the game at least, I don't remember what else it has.

The Shredder? :getin:

One thing that's struck me, watching these videos, is how much more closed in the game feels than what I remember. In my memory this level is filled vast open-air cityscapes, but the real version seems to be corridor after corridor.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

The Shredder? :getin:

One thing that's struck me, watching these videos, is how much more closed in the game feels than what I remember. In my memory this level is filled vast open-air cityscapes, but the real version seems to be corridor after corridor.

That's the one. :woop:

Also the next level is a bit more open, but everything after that takes place indoors. Granted some of those indoor locations are large and sprawling and there are a few outdoor locations but on the whole yes this one is more closed in than the first.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.
Even stupid kid me playing with cheats would never not use that gun. "Eh, I'll use something else for a while. Meh, this is boring, I'm going back to literally the best gun ever."

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Finished recording level 3, first time in Turok 2 I had to re-record due to the amount of gently caress ups. Least I got enough for a failure real at the end of one of these videos.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

PSWII60 posted:

That's the one. :woop:

Also the next level is a bit more open, but everything after that takes place indoors. Granted some of those indoor locations are large and sprawling and there are a few outdoor locations but on the whole yes this one is more closed in than the first.

The sidegrade you could get to it in Turok 3 was neat. If there's one thing I like about that game, it's the alternate weapons you got depending on which path you took.

Having a fire-shotgun will never not be satisfying.

Fatcat214
Feb 19, 2015

Party Poogie

SkyTalon2314 posted:

The sidegrade you could get to it in Turok 3 was neat. If there's one thing I like about that game, it's the alternate weapons you got depending on which path you took.

Having a fire-shotgun will never not be satisfying.

It sucks that Turok 3 went for a poor man's half life instead of being a better Turok 2.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

PSWII60 posted:

That would be awesome if you still have it. If I can find my old strategy guides I had one for Turok 2 that was awful. Haven't seen that box for a couple years though.

After digging around in old boxes I managed to find it.

Front and back. This is book 1 of 4, but they don't really bother introducing anything and just throw you right into it.

As you can see, its kinda small to be a called a book. Still an amusing little read.

Edit: after looking around, this is apparently just an excerpt from a complete book. It doesn't say that anything on the front or back, but after looking at google there were 4 full novels written about Turok.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 21, 2016

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Hey all, wanted to give a quick update that it'll be a couple of days before I can push an actual update out. Had a whole bunch of stuff happen over the past couple weeks that I think is calmed down. Evidently someone is trying to get my roommate and I in some amount of trouble; as CYF, local police, and Animal Friends have showed up at my house in the past couple weeks for various unfounded complaints. Most of that should be taken care of, pretty sure we figured out what exactly is going on, and I should be back on track shortly.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.

PSWII60 posted:

CYF, local police, and Animal Friends have showed up at my house in the past couple weeks

Dude, what.

...Did you do something to piss off your HOA? Spot of oil on the driveway, park by the curb, miss a blade of grass when you were mowing the lawn or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Tofu Survivor posted:

Dude, what.

...Did you do something to piss off your HOA? Spot of oil on the driveway, park by the curb, miss a blade of grass when you were mowing the lawn or something?

Nah, no HOA in my area. Thank god because I have an ok size urban farm full of small evolved dinos of various species.

We're fairly certain it's because of my roommate dumping her X for being lazy and abusive, and kicking him out of the house forcing him to have to find alternate living conditions somewhat quickly. His mom is somewhat high up at the humane society and the Animal Friends call would be part of that. CYF was called with a statement of there are dogs, cats, and chickens at the house and the baby was fine but the animals were pooping everywhere inside (very untrue and CYF agreed, also not my baby we had a couple staying with us for a few months). Police came because of a friends trailer being on my property (the only non animal related thing) and resulted in the police leaving saying "I don't care about this."

We don't really have any other explanation other than his mom was mad because my roommate kicked her son out so she's trying to pull strings through the humane society to maybe get the animals taken. We don't have proof, just what everything seems to point to. All the neighbors are just as confused as we are. We did talk to police already but they said they can't do a lot to investigate unless animal friends comes back out and gets belligerent and threatening again.

• Locked thread