Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

If they were to release between 2017-2018, however, would that not fall into the estimated development times of practically every AAA title? If we count development from beginning of 2013 through end of 2017, we're talking about 5 solid years straddling the 6th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Gej7ug3Rg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

ManofManyAliases posted:

If they were to release between 2017-2018, however, would that not fall into the estimated development times of practically every AAA title? If we count development from beginning of 2013 through end of 2017, we're talking about 5 solid years straddling the 6th.

If that were true, the release date isn't even the problem. The game is the problem. Others have already pointed out that the game is currently a generic-looking, buggy, steaming turd. Not only that, it's a tiny pinched loaf version of a turd that's still pushing on the insides of Ben Lesnick's stretched rectum.

Your timeline suggests that they are somewhere from the 6 month to 2.5 years out range. In the current state it's barely qualifying as a tech demo with almost none of the promised features. The star achievement from 2016 is that now you can save a wardrobe from log-off to log-on. Something that was possible in late 1980s NES games. The promised features come in "pupil to parp" format youtube videos released every year to make people think this game is actually happening as advertised. If it is released in 2018 it is going to be a slightly improved upon version of what it is now. It will be a Lesnick sized turd with a Squadron 42 pin attached.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

The game is getting worse

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

There are over 150 employees in UK between those two offices working on "refactoring" the engine, procedural gen, etc. Like I've mentioned before: I feel there's a lot yet to be revealed.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

hardycore posted:

SHOW US. "Spoilers" is no longer an acceptable excuse.

They simply can't, because evil big city publishers EA and Activision and Dongle Shazam would steal their super awesome ideas.

This stuff is literally changing the paradigm when it comes to game design, it can't be revealed haphazardly like that.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I'm the guy who spends hours trying to troll a dead gay internet comedy forum to feel better about having burnt $5k on dead gay space ships

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I get lots of sex

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ManofManyAliases posted:

If they were to release between 2017-2018, however, would that not fall into the estimated development times of practically every AAA title?

No.
It would fall into the estimated development time of titles that are known for taking a really loving long time to develop, often to their detriment. But that assumes that it follows a development stage progression — in particular the transition from alpha to beta to gold — that is record-fast, which we all know won't happen.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I get lots of sex

Come back to my place and I'll show you my jpgs.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

Come back to my place and I'll show you my jpgs.

If you show me yours I'll show you mine

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

his nibs posted:

p hot imo

e: I might Archer it if thats cool. Ben Lesnick, Developer of racist, sexist, homophobic 'jokes' is really getting on my tits

Have at it.
I don't have my usual photo editing package so the sequence is not where I want it to be.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Is the reference to Star Citizen as a AAA game a hint to class A drugs? Makes you think

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Remember when wesha posted he was a multi-millionaire and his only hobby was "trolling around the internet." It was like the "I have 7 girlfriends" posts you would read teenagers posting on a Diablo forum.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Is Weesha that one that ended up broke and tried to sell his jpegs on the grey market?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Wouldn't CIG have to have an idea what the Banu and Xian look like first?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Did the Wright brothers' investors get rich off their planks and wood?
Did they become the defacto manufacturer of planes?
I don't really have the time to research this. (AS in type something into google)
Did they live long enough to even see their planks and wood turned into aluminum carrying hundreds of people?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

KiddieGrinder posted:

Is Weesha that one that ended up broke and tried to sell his jpegs on the grey market?

No, that was the bitcoin millionaire Seraph.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Do you think Ben has ever been in an airplane?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Lladre posted:

Did the Wright brothers' investors get rich off their planks and wood?
Did they become the defacto manufacturer of planes?
I don't really have the time to research this. (AS in type something into google)
Did they live long enough to even see their planks and wood turned into aluminum carrying hundreds of people?

More to the point, when Kelvin said that, there had been “wooden planks” flying around for ages, so as with so many of his other scepticism, he was demonstrably wrong from the outset. What the Wright brothers managed to do was add an engine to a contraption that was already flying pretty well. Once this hit him, he started moving more goalposts than the entirety of FIFA.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

He's really fixating on planes. I wonder if they had to do a project on the Wright brothers at the high school wesha attends.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Kelvin, Lord William Thomson winner of International Egg On Face award for the 100th year running

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Once again I find myself confounded, this time by the comparison of CIG to the Wright Brothers. I think maybe it just confirm that these people are really hosed up in the head

this is coming from someone who is also hosed up in the head but at least not in the delusional sense I suppose.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

WLMortis posted:

Choose your own adventure!

If you think Derek assumes every word in this thread is the truth, even obvious jokes, turn to page 15.

If you think Derek is just passing along a masterful troll, turn to page 94.

If you have a bow and wish to use it, turn to page 115.

But I want to kill the jester! What page is that?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

ZenMaster posted:

Nyx is a very famous cosmetics line... I have some in my bathroom.

Nix is a very famous insecticidal shampoo... I have none in my bathroom.

http://lovebugz.net/faq.html <-not proclick

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

Kelvin, Lord William Thomson winner of International Egg On Face award for the 100th year running

I seem to recall that he's also often misattributed for the whole “there is nothing left to discover in physics, only more precise measurements to be made” statement… a decade before relativity and quantum theory. He didn't say that, but that kind of stickiness of a misquotation suggests that he's the kind of guy who was an easy mark to accusations of getting it wrong… :D

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I still think it's funny that people are writing fan fiction of what they imagine playing the game will be like.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

It took a solid 6 months to organise the stationary cupboard, because they are doing this from scratch you see not like Electrotard Art$ or DESMOND SHART

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tippis posted:

I seem to recall that he's also often misattributed for the whole “there is nothing left to discover in physics, only more precise measurements to be made” statement… a decade before relativity and quantum theory. He didn't say that, but that kind of stickiness of a misquotation suggests that he's the kind of guy who was an easy mark to accusations of getting it wrong… :D

Yeah, I think he proved the Biblical creation myth by calculating that the Sun couldn't have burned for more than a few thousand years

it being made of coal and all

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

orcinus posted:

Jesus christ, Croberts, get some restorative dental work done.
It's not like you can't afford it.

But then he can't code while he is recovering, and SC couldn't possibly allow a delay!

crobber martyrs himself to save PC gaming.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

I really love the plane analogy. The Wright brothers had the time, the tech and the talent to pull off what nobody had ever done and are rightfully held up as pioneers.

What CIG is doing is akin to trying to get to the moon in the 1800's. Yes it is ambitious but we're still decades off from what Crobberts is promising to achieve. You say stuffing TNT under a trash can to break Earth's gravity makes Lord Robberts a visionary. I say it makes him an idiot. We just have to give him a match, take a few steps back, and see who's right.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Thoatse posted:

The Dutch word for 'nothing' is 'niks' which is pronounced Nyx/Nix :D

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Thoatse posted:

That was...not as bad as I expected? The title made me assume "bug-chasers" (another un-pro-as-gently caress-click).

Still :wtf:, just not in the expected way.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Barn Folk posted:

I really love the plane analogy. The Wright brothers had the time, the tech and the talent to pull off what nobody had ever done and are rightfully held up as pioneers.

What CIG is doing is akin to trying to get to the moon in the 1800's. Yes it is ambitious but we're still decades off from what Crobberts is promising to achieve. You say stuffing TNT under a trash can to break Earth's gravity makes Lord Robberts a visionary. I say it makes him an idiot. We just have to give him a match, take a few steps back, and see who's right.

lol

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Barn Folk posted:

What CIG is doing is akin to trying to get to the moon in the 1800's.

Great movie btw.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
People said the Pyramids could never be built, until Khufu went and made his big'un. Now people say the same about Chris Roberts and his lovely space game, and he's struggling against equally valid criticism

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Goobs posted:

He's really fixating on planes. I wonder if they had to do a project on the Wright brothers at the high school kindergarten wesha attends.

FTFY

It is striking to compare the Wright Brothers to CIG. The Wright brothers painstakingly studied the problem of flight, tested a variety of wings, built a custom engine, and, apparently, were the first to understand the importance of control for powered flight. The Wright brothers built up their knowledge from the ground, with years of hard work in obscurity.

CIG copies another person's engine, releases a ton of hype, and shows no sign of diligent work from the basics.

So they're totally comparable.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

And even then, a release in 2017-18 would be 6-7 years total, which is still on par with large projects.

There are over 150 employees in UK between those two offices working on "refactoring" the engine, procedural gen, etc. Like I've mentioned before: I feel there's a lot yet to be revealed.

To be honest Toast, "refactoring" has been revealed already many, many times. For some reason it does not seem to make the game progress.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ZenMaster posted:

Be careful Beet, once he asked me if I wanted to hunt "the most dangerous animal of them all"

(a startled lesnick!)

Well THAT is SDTH.txt! How could a bow hit anything important on a lesnick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Samizdata posted:

Well THAT is SDTH.txt! How could a bow hit anything important on a lesnick?

well you see you don't actually hit him with the bow,

• Locked thread