Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tank Boy Ken posted:

One gaming sites tests the water. And once blood is in the water... I mean Kotaku didn't get sued/received an angry Christ letter.

Pretty much. Next you're going to see opinion pieces, maybe some sites "asking questions" now that folks are getting burned out. Maybe even an actual investigative report. Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Streetroller posted:

I just want to remind everyone that Bill Nye created two real spaceships for $1.2 Million dollars... and did it in a loving year. A YEAR

's pretty cool but I dunno that space thing looks a bit low-poly

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Pretty much. Next you're going to see opinion pieces, maybe some sites "asking questions" now that folks are getting burned out. Maybe even an actual investigative report. Maybe.

Don't forget the inevitable behind the scenes exclusive they are going to get in exchange for agreeing not to publish anything mean about CIG.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Beet Wagon posted:

I'd be genuinely surprised if even the die-hard-iest of reddit spergs thought SC was nearly launchable. That's a mentality that has seriously bought into the worst of the "minimum viable product" preaching on a very deep level.

No way - reading most of the comments, you see that most anticipate 2017-18.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

The comments on that page are juicy :) Looks like a few of the better known preists are engaging in damage control as per usual. :D

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ZenMaster posted:

Be careful Beet, once he asked me if I wanted to hunt "the most dangerous animal of them all"

(a startled lesnick!)

What the gently caress would you hunt a Lesnick with anyway, an elephant gun?

Maybe you could render him into lard and bake some donuts for the ultimatesnick experience

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Box of donuts and a german 88mm flak gun. :)

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

When do we get to see Louis Theroux going into whale dens and asking spergs about how they've ruined their lives?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

ManofManyAliases posted:

I like how 2018 has now been slipped in. Like, no big deal. Game was originally set for release in 2014, Croberts says he started work on it in 2011. Possible 2018 Minimum Viable Product release, what's wrong with that?

Oh, I don't know. Maybe that CryEngine 3 will be celebrating it's 9 year anniversary in 2018. Maybe that the company can't even keep up technical production with the current components and ships, but they could release a hundred more ships between now and 2018. It's laughable that this is even being floated by fans of a kickstarter in 2012.

It seems like "most anticipate" whatever seems like the rosiest possible prediction for the time. If the Crobbler comes out next year and says they always anticipated a 2019 release you'll be eating it up to regurgitate for the other baby birds.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Achamp posted:

I like how 2018 has now been slipped in. Like, no big deal. Game was originally set for release in 2014, Croberts says he started work on it in 2011. Possible 2018 Minimum Viable Product release, what's wrong with that?

Oh, I don't know. Maybe that CryEngine 3 will be celebrating it's 9 year anniversary in 2018. Maybe that the company can't even keep up technical production with the current components and ships, but they could release a hundred more ships between now and 2018. It's laughable that this is even being floated by fans of a kickstarter in 2012.

It seems like "most anticipate" whatever seems like the rosiest possible prediction for the time. If the Crobbler comes out next year and says they always anticipated a 2019 release you'll be eating it up to regurgitate for the other baby birds.

If they were to release between 2017-2018, however, would that not fall into the estimated development times of practically every AAA title? If we count development from beginning of 2013 through end of 2017, we're talking about 5 solid years straddling the 6th.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Maybe you could render him into lard and bake some donuts for the ultimatesnick experience

when in doubt, call the natz

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

thatguy posted:

When do we get to see Louis Theroux going into whale dens and asking spergs about how they've ruined their lives?

About a year ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/2s6k4j/this_guy_is_building_a_real_life_constellation/

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Achamp posted:

The thing is, the game looks like poo poo right now, in 2016. It looked like poo poo last year, in 2015. For all their claims of "fidelity", the sad reality is that the game just looks bad. Even if they fixed every single other issue with framerate, network performance, horrifying flight "physics", the fact would remain that the game, strictly from an aesthetic standpoint, looks bad and, even more damning, generic. How will it look in 2018? All could be forgiven if there were any game systems planned, and they were knock-it-out-of-the-park awesome and single-handedly redefined the genre - but how likely is that? They don't even have a game in this game yet - just vague ideas cribbed from other properties, none past the "thinking about it" stage.

This project always was, is, and will always be, nothing more than what Chris envisioned in the early 90s. This is just wish-fulfillment for him - making the game he wanted to make back then, including all the aesthetic and gameplay trappings of that era - like Hollywood actors, motion capture, head bob, and all the poo poo that only made sense almost 20 years ago.

Even if some kind of divine intervention happened and techno-gods descended from the heavens and told Chris "We are here to enable your vision - all you dictate to us shall be" and they built his game for him and under his instructions, the game would be absolute and complete poo poo. But at least the flight would work.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

If they were to release between 2017-2018, however, would that not fall into the estimated development times of practically every AAA title? If we count development from beginning of 2013 through end of 2017, we're talking about 5 solid years straddling the 6th.

With the amount of features left to design, implement and refactor for the 12th time I doubt we'll see anything remotely resembling the promised feature list even after 5 years.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

ManofManyAliases posted:

Sure and if we count development beginning in 2016, it hasn't even been in development for a year yet. But that wasn't when it started development was it.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

ManofManyAliases posted:

Don't forget that most of the time they've spent so far has been used on motion capture (which is immaterial to Star Citizen proper), and designing ships to sell. The foundation of the game's engine is still faulty, and there are no actual game systems in place. The part of the process that they're going to have to rush through is the part that determines if the game is any fun to play.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ManofManyAliases posted:

Or we could count development from around October of 2011 like Roberts told us to.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Since development only counts when you have >100 people working on a project, many successful games have been released with literally zero development done on them. Makes you think.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

You have 5 minutes to run 25 meters to the shelter. WILL YOU MAKE IT IN TIME?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Or we could count development from around October of 2011 like Roberts told us to.

And even then, a release in 2017-18 would be 6-7 years total, which is still on par with large projects.

Scruffpuff posted:

Don't forget that most of the time they've spent so far has been used on motion capture (which is immaterial to Star Citizen proper), and designing ships to sell. The foundation of the game's engine is still faulty, and there are no actual game systems in place. The part of the process that they're going to have to rush through is the part that determines if the game is any fun to play.

Daztek posted:

With the amount of features left to design, implement and refactor for the 12th time I doubt we'll see anything remotely resembling the promised feature list even after 5 years.

There are over 150 employees in UK between those two offices working on "refactoring" the engine, procedural gen, etc. Like I've mentioned before: I feel there's a lot yet to be revealed.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

Wowzers this hit all of my triggers. 2013 beginning of development? AAA reference? That subtle, easy-to-miss gay slur?

I say MoMA you are become death, derailer of threads

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

p hot imo

e: I might Archer it if thats cool. Ben Lesnick, Developer of racist, sexist, homophobic 'jokes' is really getting on my tits

his nibs fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 21, 2016

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

Decrepus posted:

You have 5 minutes to run 25 meters to the shelter. WILL YOU MAKE IT IN TIME?

It's easy if you have space skates.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

There are over 150 employees in UK between those two offices working on "refactoring" the engine, procedural gen, etc. Like I've mentioned before: I feel there's a lot yet to be revealed.
yeah like: a game

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

I feel there's a lot yet to be revealed.

Agreed :wink:

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

Wowzers this hit all of my triggers. 2013 beginning of development? AAA reference? That subtle, easy-to-miss gay slur?

I say MoMA you are become death, derailer of threads

I missed the slur. I'm like the opposite of Bene Gesserit when it comes to subtlety.

Edit: but I'm like a honored matre when it comes to karate kicks

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
You guys are all forgetting it took 4 years to set up an office :lol:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It took a solid 6 months to organise the stationary cupboard, because they are doing this from scratch you see not like Electrotard Art$ or DESMOND SHART

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Amidst the dumb ToS thing, /r/starcitizen debates a real issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4p5a1z/is_02c_still_relevant/

:sigh:

They're going to do thing, we don't know anything about thing, but thing will be good and work

Yes, doing nothing for hours and occasionally pressing <<USE>> on a thing is good and fun

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm picturing someone sat there with a vice like grip on their HOTAS, eyes wide open in amazement for 4 hours solid

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
why the gently caress you name a star "Stanton"

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

peter gabriel posted:

I'm picturing someone sat there with a vice like grip on their HOTAS, eyes wide open in amazement for 4 hours solid

Yeah its the player that crews the other player/whales's ship for pay so he can one day afford his own space ship

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

And even then, a release in 2017-18 would be 6-7 years total, which is still on par with large projects.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
welcome to the Boris system, we on Port Interstellar eagerly anticipate your stay

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Interesting new strategy from momass!!

hardycore
Nov 4, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

Then SHOW US. With funding trending down, media turning hostile, dissension even in formerly 'safe spaces' like reddit, why on earth would they hold back?

They can stop the slide, retake control of the narrative, return goons and DS back to irrelevance, and send funding back into the stratosphere, with ONE simple trailer or demo that shows real, tangible, in game progress on either SQ42 or SC.

But they haven't.

I don't see how they could have NOTHING to show unless they, like most of thread believes, have NOTHING period.

SHOW US. "Spoilers" is no longer an acceptable excuse.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

hardycore posted:

Then SHOW US. With funding trending down, media turning hostile, dissension even in formerly 'safe spaces' like reddit, why on earth would they hold back?

They can stop the slide, retake control of the narrative, return goons and DS back to irrelevance, and send funding back into the stratosphere, with ONE simple trailer or demo that shows real, tangible, in game progress on either SQ42 or SC.

But they haven't.

I don't see how they could have NOTHING to show unless they, like most of thread believes, have NOTHING period.

SHOW US. "Spoilers" is no longer an acceptable excuse.

oh good grief

you didn't get the memo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Why do we need spoilers anyway for a story Chris has written? I mean how big of a twist could he come up with that isn't maverick loose canon goes and does blah de blah bullshit hands in his badge on one last mission with a rag tag bunch of yadda yawwwwnnnnzzzzz

• Locked thread