Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

To be fair, Verbose is HxH's aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

When I read the MS version of that scene I just sort of glazed over it enough to understand that everything was hosed up, and that was all I needed to know.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It is very tell then show yeah. Though that makes bad translation even worse.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Mangastream makes things a hell of a lot more wordy than they have to be, though.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tunicate posted:

Mangastream makes things a hell of a lot more wordy than they have to be, though.

Yeah, if the original is already wordy, there's no reason to also go for the wordiest translation you can think of. Sometimes I feel scanlators get too focused on being literal and Japanese seems to be a vague language while English is anything but vague. Also the translation on the third and fourth balloons don't match at all between the two versions: one is "if you commit a crime, your ticket is invalidated", the other one is "there's a criminal ring invalidating tickets by claiming they were cloned". Judging by the context I'll assume Viz's translation is closer to the ball.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
sounds like they invented some plot out of random words tbh

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
its not just a matter of skill at wording a sentence (although the ms translation does read horribly). the viz and mangastream translations have totally different meanings. has anyone asked them about this? have they defended themselves at all? im just curious about it. because it seems like ms arent very skilled at japanese at this point

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
They're two different interpretations of the same material, translated into English. I'm sure both versions lose some meaning in translation. The Viz version is obviously better, but I don't see why you're all making a big deal out of it; both versions are pretty good.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Voted Worst Mom posted:

They're two different interpretations of the same material, translated into English. I'm sure both versions lose some meaning in translation. The Viz version is obviously better, but I don't see why you're all making a big deal out of it; both versions are pretty good.

Because they have completely different meanings. MS's versions just completely makes up that there's a criminal ring causing issues through identity fraud with its mistakes. Which is a pretty big mistake, given that the Phantom Troupe are likely to be involved meaning you'd think that criminal ring might be them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The troupe were not likely to be involved in that at all. Why should they bother making a big fuss just to get on board? They are very good thieves, and part of being a thief is getting into places you should not be in.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

The troupe were not likely to be involved in that at all. Why should they bother making a big fuss just to get on board? They are very good thieves, and part of being a thief is getting into places you should not be in.

The difference between the panels posted is that Mangastream's translation implies that there is a specific group responsible for the ticket's being invalidated rumor. While Viz makes frames it as people getting worried that their tickets will be invalidated if they commit a crime. This completely changes the context from "people are getting their identities stolen by an organization" to "people are clamoring to ensure their tickets don't get invalidated" and the subsequent page carries on from there. Viz's flow better together and seem to be part of the same conversation. MS's does flow until you get to that sentence in the second panel. It's a pretty significant difference if you ask me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh, you misunderstood a key point. People weren't worried about committing crimes and losing their tickets. Rather, the people on the waiting list were trying to get on board by accusing people with tickets of crimes. I dunno who they thought would be doing the arbitration for that, but it was just an unfounded rumor after all.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Oh, you misunderstood a key point. People weren't worried about committing crimes and losing their tickets. Rather, the people on the waiting list were trying to get on board by accusing people with tickets of crimes. I dunno who they thought would be doing the arbitration for that, but it was just an unfounded rumor after all.

But the MS translation implies something completely different: a criminal ring rendering people's tickets invalid by claiming they were cloned.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dias posted:

But the MS translation implies something completely different: a criminal ring rendering people's tickets invalid by claiming they were cloned.

I wasn't disputing that. I said that the criminal ring which ms' shoddy translated created from whole cloth didn't sound like the spiders at all.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

I wasn't disputing that. I said that the criminal ring which ms' shoddy translated created from whole cloth didn't sound like the spiders at all.

Eh, the thing is, we've just been told that the Spiders will be infiltrating the ship, they're the prominent criminal group in the series and sowing chaos would help with their objective: nabbing the Stand Arrow Nen Jar. Another thing a good thief values is a good distraction. it's not a stretch to infer they started that rumor...except that might not be a thing at all because it's not present in Viz's translation in any form. So, someone hosed up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dias posted:

Eh, the thing is, we've just been told that the Spiders will be infiltrating the ship, they're the prominent criminal group in the series and sowing chaos would help with their objective: nabbing the Stand Arrow Nen Jar. Another thing a good thief values is a good distraction. it's not a stretch to infer they started that rumor...except that might not be a thing at all because it's not present in Viz's translation in any form. So, someone hosed up.

They don't need to sow chaos in the bottom decks. There is nothing worth stealing there. Starting a riot is what people who aren't individually stronger than a riot would do. Their objective is to reach the upper decks, locate the treasure, kill anyone in their way, steal it, and then abscond. I just don't see why infiltrating what is effectively a city where no one knows each other and getting through an unlocked door guarded by regular dudes is a daunting task.

If it was just a normal ship with some hunters on it and not a miserable death trap occupied by nen beasts, Kurapika, Hisoka, Ging and Beyond they could probably kill everyone aboard without much trouble. Chrollo reaaaaaallly should have made some prophecies before planning this job.

Though, if Chrollo still had his anti-Hisoka skill set it would be advantageous for him to have a crowd around. But he doesn't, and he has doubtless already learned as much.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Mangastream's translators make a fairly decent amount of mistakes, and whoever writes the dialogue (the editor I guess?) insists on making it the way it is. They throw profanity in and try to use lots of slang and colloquial expressions regardless of whether or not it fits the manga they're translating and cal it "localization" (mostly apparent with One Piece) and insist that HxH should be as wordy as it is because of how complex the manga is or something like that. I forget the exact reason they used. Also they Leave "oi" untranslated and use the phrase "you lot" a ton so I always end up reading character's voices in a cockney accent.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://readms.com/r/hunter_x_hunter/359/3487/1

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

When it begins, it really begins.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
And Gon is not on the boat.

Also is it just me or did Kaacho only recruit ugly people.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, you're right. Interesting; Kurapika thought she'd be picking people based on looks, but this isn't quite what I was expecting from that. Also, poor Fugetsu; her sister is awful.

Also also, Morel confirmed to be returning (eventually; seems like he's showing up after the ship arc, since they're ditching Kakin at the "Fake" continent or something), so hooray.

Also also also, Geru and the new girl seem to have crushes on each other. Cute.

Also^4, Kurapika just whipped a gun out and that's amazing to me.

That's not even everything I want to talk about; there is just so much happening in this chapter, jeez.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am guessing she did not want any of her bodyguards to outshine her or something.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

It's both ways. The ticket holders believe that if they commit a crime their ticket gets invalidated; while some non-ticket holders believe that if they report a ticket holder for a crime they get their spot.

So I'm betting that the princes won't start making their moves until they reach the refueling point? Until then they will be probing the lines of each others defenses to figure out weaknesses or something like that.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

There's probably a few hunters already on the fake continent

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am guessing she did not want any of her bodyguards to outshine her or something.

Maybe.

Anyway, bets on what killed those guys? Major three possibilities I see are an intruder or double agent, Woble's nen beast, and someone else's nen beast. Leaning towards the second at the moment given the end of the last chapter, but this series is hard to predict, so.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Do the Kakin royals know the Fake Continent is fake and are taking the journey as a PR move or do they believe it's the real Dark Continent just like the civilians? Did Togashi ever really explain what temporary hunters are?

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
Well, that close-up of the cruise ship top floor really lets me appreciate the complete stupidity that is this whaleboat.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
We don't know how intelligent nen beasts are. If Woble's nen beast also has the mind of an infant, then killing nearby people who are not Woble's mother would make sense. If it is smart enough to understand what bodyguards are, then it would only kill them if it somehow knew they were traitors. I don't think anyone would bother to place traitors in his bodyguard detail, though. None of the other princes are worried about being killed by an infant.

But goddamn, not even the hunter organization knows about the succession war? Between the spiders and their stalker, the regular hunters, the zodiacs, Kurapika's crew, the princes, Beyond's crew and the nen beasts there are probably a hundred different players involved with this scenario and very few of them are playing the same games.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I am going to need to reread this arc, possibly twice, in the very near future just so I can fully understand all the layers at work here.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

We don't know how intelligent nen beasts are. If Woble's nen beast also has the mind of an infant, then killing nearby people who are not Woble's mother would make sense. If it is smart enough to understand what bodyguards are, then it would only kill them if it somehow knew they were traitors. I don't think anyone would bother to place traitors in his bodyguard detail, though. None of the other princes are worried about being killed by an infant.

But goddamn, not even the hunter organization knows about the succession war? Between the spiders and their stalker, the regular hunters, the zodiacs, Kurapika's crew, the princes, Beyond's crew and the nen beasts there are probably a hundred different players involved with this scenario and very few of them are playing the same games.

Most likely though that would also mean that even Nen users might not be able to see the creatures. Presumably it is close to Wobble at all times excluding when it is killing traitors

TriffTshngo posted:

I am going to need to reread this arc, possibly twice, in the very near future just so I can fully understand all the layers at work here.

Same, but I like that about it too.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I don't really share Kurapika's assessment that Pariston doesn't know about the succession war, just because the temp hunters didn't know. Pariston is exactly the kind of person who would withhold vital information from people to create a more "fun" experience. Also, isn't the fact that the journey will determine the next ruler public knowledge. How does the public thing this contest will be settled?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Kurapika wouldn't know that Pariston's an rear end in a top hat and assumes he's acting in good faith due to his position

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Roland Jones posted:

Also^4, Kurapika just whipped a gun out and that's amazing to me.

Makes sense, it'll straight kill a normal person, and if they use aura to protect themselves then he at least knows they're a nen user.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

e X posted:

I don't really share Kurapika's assessment that Pariston doesn't know about the succession war, just because the temp hunters didn't know. Pariston is exactly the kind of person who would withhold vital information from people to create a more "fun" experience. Also, isn't the fact that the journey will determine the next ruler public knowledge. How does the public thing this contest will be settled?

considering a lot of princes are using the succession as leverage against the one they want to win because he is a reformer it seems unlikely that its public knowledge

do they even have the nen beasts at this point? i can't remember and thought they were going to get them later

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kurapika knows plenty about Pariston I assume considering Mizai and Cheadle are the main people he speaks to among the Zodiacs. His assessment could be correct but it's equally possible Pariston thought it'd be fun to see which temps could survive the succession war and make it to the Dark Continent.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Pariston doesn't give two shits about the lives of the temp Hunters, he sent a bunch of them to fight Illumi/Hisoka during the election with the Seirin group purely as a political manoeuvre in an election he didn't even want to win.

Temp Hunters are those who contract Jobs exclusively from the Hunter association itself if I remember right. And naturally, Pariston would be in charge of that whole thing so he has a lot of sway over them since he's essentially their direct boss or was before he resigned his position.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

e X posted:

Probably Mangastream being Mangastream?

The Korean scans have Kurapika saying something along the lines of "Pariston didn't hear about the succession... or, rather, it's probably more natural to think that he didn't tell them about it."

Another part where the translations differ are Benjamin's thoughts.

In Korean, he's thinking, "Consider yourself lucky if you get killed by the other princes. Because I won't just kill you."

Which makes a lot more sense than what MS has put out.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

A more immediate fun pool for now could be what prince people think is going down first. We might even get an answer before hiatus.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Iirc, temp hunter were those who didn't have field of passion or expertise, like ozhers, but did mostly contract work for the association from different goverments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am assuming Gyo is needed to see the Nen Beast.

As for which Prince is going down first I am putting my bets on this dude.

8th Prince Sale-sale. I don't have much hope for him.