Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I've got a Miele and its real nice. I forget what I had before but it's leagues better and really picks crap out of the carpet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

1500quidporsche posted:

I've got a Miele and its real nice. I forget what I had before but it's leagues better and really picks crap out of the carpet.

Do you have the kind with the electric beater, or the air-powered beater?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Electric, the beater bar is probably the worst part of that design (feels a little cheap) but overall I'm pretty happy with the job it does. If you crank it up to max it has some real good suction. Mine is a few years old though, I ended up getting it after my grandmother died since nobody wanted it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Dysons feel a little fragile to me, but that might be because of my anti-European bias.

I've heard good things about Miele but I will say Mom's been using the same Dyson Animal for 5+ years vacuuming once a day minimum cleaning up after five 100+ pound dogs. She's had to order a couple cheap replacement parts and has to clean it once a month but the thing has survived way longer than anything else she's had.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

Personally, I would buy something at Costco (either online or in store) try it, and if its terrible just return it.

This is a good plan. We snagged a Dyson cordless from Costco and it's remarkable how nice it is for vacuuming our house (all hard floors so we can knock it all out on battery, no corded vacuum needed).

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

We've got a Dyson DC 23 (I think, the canister one) and it's been working fine for the last 7-8 years. Only issues we've had is having to replace the brush a few times due to it wearing out (we have some crazy strong carpet, 19 years old and still looks almost new) and cleaning the internals every couple years, and the electrical connection in the hose broke. Their customer support is amazing and ships replacement parts quick and no questions asked.

A++ would buy another Dyson

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

1500quidporsche posted:

Lookit daddy warbucks over here.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

While we're on the subject, who makes a decent vacuum? I've gone through two Bissells this year from beater bar bearings seizing up and melting either the bar or the case. The last one not only got tangled on hair but pushed the hair inside the bearing, where it melted internally.

Apparently the Kenmore Elite 31150 is the BMF of vacuums that don't break down, but it also isn't available in Canada except via eBay sellers.

The Dysons feel a little fragile to me, but that might be because of my anti-European bias.

I've had a Dyson for about 11 years now, and it's the best vacuum I've ever owned. To be fair, I've never own any of the expensive brands, just your basic Hoover types prior to the Dyson.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

fyodor posted:

I'm sincerely sorry you're forced to use a mcdonald's straw and your smallest child's lungs.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

fyodor posted:

Yeah I inherited a great deal of wealth from my grandmother's estate. Including a painting of a shed in a forest, a record player and a 1950s sofa with a board under cushions.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

No need to brag, geez.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Enourmo posted:

Was just tightening my intake pipes to hopefully fix a rich occasional misfire I've been getting under boost. Noticed the turbo looked wet.

There's a pinhole leak in the 3 way coolant elbow leading to the turbo coolant line. Which is a mazdaspeed specific part, and probably costs $theft-hundred. Not to mention the hassle of draining the cooling system to replace a 2 inch chunk of rubber.

CARS

Why would they put a soft line going to the hottest thing in the engine? That just seems silly.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

scuz posted:

Guys I have a confession:

I've never listened to a podcast. How do I do this on Android? Do I do this the same way I do with any kind of music or is there a special super secret app™ that I need? TOO MANY APPS.

I really liked BeyondPod. It was able to handle some of the subscription podcasts I listen to. I also liked Stitcher since it let you stream them instead of downloading them.

E/N time:

About 2 months ago a coworker went on leave. They weren't sure if he was going to come back.

Two or three weeks ago we found out that he wasn't coming back and he was in hospice.

Today we found out he passed away.

Today is not a good day.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

Do you have the kind with the electric beater, or the air-powered beater?

Does the air-powered beater do a better job of keeping its guts sealed from long hair that snags on the bar?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That blows. There was an older guy I dealt with through work who went to the doctor because he felt run-down all the time and was developing a cough or something. Doctor ordered some tests, went to the hospital for them, ended up admitting him and he died the next day. If that wasn't bad enough, the real kick in the nuts is he was retiring the next month.

Does the air-powered beater do a better job of keeping its guts sealed from long hair that snags on the bar?

Air powered ones suck and not in a good way.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Vacuum chat: we got a Dyson 6 or 7 years ago, and it's still a champ. Gets used every couple days minimum.

I just soak/wash out the canister and filters once a month and it keeps going.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Why would they put a soft line going to the hottest thing in the engine? That just seems silly.

Well, it's up by the block, with a hard steel line running to the actual turbo housing. It's just their cheapest possible solution for tying the turbo lines into the main cooling system on the base Protege.* Why the hell it's made out of rubber when they sprung for silicone radiator hoses from the factory is beyond me.

*The MSPs were built as ordinary 2.0 Proteges with special paint colors; they were sent to Callaway after going through port to actually have the turbo kits installed. So everything had to stay as close to the base model layout as possible, including the externally run coolant pipes and rubber hoses/fittings.

I found Callaway's parts catalog, the thing I need is number 24 on the diagram, but they don't seem to have it for order. Guess I'll have to see if Mazda can order it for me. I doubt I'll be able to get it from the usual suspects, since they rarely have MSP-specific stuff. Also look at the intercooler inlet pipe, part #29; that's an intake pipe whose sale price is around $240 with shipping. It's more expensive than the (used, but still) TURBOCHARGER. Only the exhaust manifold is more expensive.

I swear, I get a job and a garage to work in, I'm trading this for a pony car or a light pickup or something with parts that are common and cheap.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Cobble something together at the hardware store, it doesn't look that complicated.

You're going to be an engineer, figure it out! :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'll cobble low-voltage low-current wiring, but something containing pressurized boiling-hot liquid that can cause terminal damage to my car if it fails gives me pause.

E: VV Hey man, I've already replaced the engine once, I've no desire to do it again.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 21, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Pussy.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

They hurt so good, don't they? I made the jump from MSP to Jeeps just for the parts availability.

Could you drain the system and patch it from the inside?

slidebite posted:

Air powered ones suck and not in a good way.

I was curious about that. Guess I'll save my pennies and get the electric type.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The Lexus/Toyota hot rod is going to auction: http://bringatrailer.com/2016/06/21/radical-streetrace-build-lexus-v8-powered-1968-toyota-corona-coupe/
I never noticed that it kept the Lexus trans. They just painted the shifter to color match.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

While we're on the subject, who makes a decent vacuum? I've gone through two Bissells this year from beater bar bearings seizing up and melting either the bar or the case. The last one not only got tangled on hair but pushed the hair inside the bearing, where it melted internally.

Apparently the Kenmore Elite 31150 is the BMF of vacuums that don't break down, but it also isn't available in Canada except via eBay sellers.

I have a Nilfisk and it's been great so far. Really good suction, surprisingly quiet, good ergonomics, just very high quality in general.

My parents have Miele that is roughly its equal, but it's ahead on one point. It's on casters, so it's ridiculously maneuverable.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Safety Dance posted:

They hurt so good, don't they? I made the jump from MSP to Jeeps just for the parts availability.

Could you drain the system and patch it from the inside?

It's a pretty small piece, the coolant line that goes into it is like 1/4" OD past the flare. Is there some sort of liquid rubber I could dab on both sides with a Q-tip or whatever that would seal the hole and cure quickly while still being flexible?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I have a list of poo poo to do longer than my arm and I'm laid up on the sofa with the flu again, watching watchmen, drinking lukewarm tea.

I also have a Dyson cylinder we bought nearly 10 years ago. Apart from the cord retract getting all :flaccid: I don't yet have an excuse to replace it with a fancy battery one.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

E/N time:

About 2 months ago a coworker went on leave. They weren't sure if he was going to come back.

Two or three weeks ago we found out that he wasn't coming back and he was in hospice.

Today we found out he passed away.

Today is not a good day.

That's depressing. One of our techs just got hit on his motorcycle last week, and wound up with a severely broken tibia/fibula along with his collar bone. He's going to be gone for 6 months. His (presumably healthy, 30 year old) wife passed away in the middle of the night like 8 or 9 months ago so now he's going to be pretty much on his own with a hosed up leg. That dudes been through some poo poo man :smith:

In less depressing news, I was just offered our Payroll position for the dealership.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 21, 2016

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Enourmo posted:

It's a pretty small piece, the coolant line that goes into it is like 1/4" OD past the flare. Is there some sort of liquid rubber I could dab on both sides with a Q-tip or whatever that would seal the hole and cure quickly while still being flexible?

Something like Liquid Electrical Tape comes to mind, or maybe a two-part epoxy, or some silicone sealer. RTV maybe?

If these are bad suggestions someone will probably yell at me, so maybe wait a second before you gum up your coolant galleys.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I've got a Rainbow vac and it is the best thing. Sucks up drat near everything and doesn't give a gently caress. Also can double as a wetvac in a pinch.

'Course, I also got it for free, soooo....

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
So busy. Doing neat poo poo and poo poo is REAL. Good job 2016!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I have to go to best buy today because the mouse I spent $48.99 on friday is now on sale for $24.99. Good job 2016!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Liquid Communism posted:

Implied but not confirmed. I think they're waiting to see if they really get the rights to the mutants back to Marvel and this was a first salvo in that argument.

Last page but this isn't a thing that is happening. Fox and Disney have a relationship akin to the Bloods and Crips and Fox will never let go of the X-Men rights.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Enourmo posted:

Just go find a section of heater hose that fits. Drain enough coolant to not make a huge mess and bring it to a parts store, you could probably find something close. Or, just go with a piece of silicone that is flexible enough to work.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

Last page but this isn't a thing that is happening. Fox and Disney have a relationship akin to the Bloods and Crips and Fox will never let go of the X-Men rights.

Seriously. We'll get the X-Men Christmas Special before Fox lets go of that golden calf. It would be interesting to see how they'd spin the Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch thing, though.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Just got my landrover to start for the first time in almost 2 years!. :feelsgood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXV4msqFWCI

Was amazed it starts and it even holds a steady RPM for a short period, considering that the LPG feed pipe is just loosely sat in place (the hiss in the video is LPG leaking out), as is all the intake pipework, and there are poo poo loads of vacuum leaks on the plenum where i haven't plumbed poo poo up.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yo, STR and other goons in the know. Kenmore's the brand to get for refrigerators, right? We have to get one for the new house. We'd like a bottom-freezer model with ice maker and, ideally, water dispenser; any suggestions?

I recently updated to a mack daddy Kenmore bottom freezer, stainless steel model. List price was $2499 (probably real world normal sales $1800-2000). I ended up paying less than $1300 and getting a free grill out of it. Combination of getting it on sale, putting it on online layaway, buying discounted Sears gift cards to make the payments combined with some Shop Your Way points. I have all new Kenmore higher end appliances now in my small house and I don't have a single complaint.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, while they deliberately put in things like Xavier's school, the helicarrier, Bob (implied to be he of Agent of Hydra status) in the film, Deadpool is very much a 3rd party viewpoint in comparison to our two current big hitters of how Marvel stuff is portrayed, though with a strong lean to the X-Men side of the party.

Tomarse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXV4msqFWCI

Was amazed it starts and it even holds a steady RPM for a short period, considering that the LPG feed pipe is just loosely sat in place (the hiss in the video is LPG leaking out), as is all the intake pipework, and there are poo poo loads of vacuum leaks on the plenum where i haven't plumbed poo poo up.
:toot: Good stuff!

I need to sort my OS/R hub seal, rebuild a gearbox to go in it, paint it, and a ton of other stuff, but at least I have it actively usable, which is better than I managed for most of 2014 and 2015.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, while they deliberately put in things like Xavier's school, the helicarrier, Bob (implied to be he of Agent of Hydra status) in the film, Deadpool is very much a 3rd party viewpoint in comparison to our two current big hitters of how Marvel stuff is portrayed, though with a strong lean to the X-Men side of the party.

Deadpool is firmly a part of the X-Men film franchise, how is it 3rd Party?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

Deadpool is firmly a part of the X-Men film franchise, how is it 3rd Party?
Because they didn't involve any of the main cast of the X-Men films thus far, or do anything that ties into their continuity, so until that happens it kind of remains a self-contained deal.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tide posted:

I hate the layout, but there's some decent subs there. The aviation centric subs are quite good, as are the space and spacex and college football subs. There's a handful more, but as long as you stay out of the nsfw ones, you're good. I think I've got like 8 subs that I am subscribed to.

Saying there is anything decent at Reddit is exactly like saying there is still edible corn in a huge turd. And if there is anything decent for sake of discussion, why the gently caress would I give myself a ginormous headache trying to decypher it with that utterly hideous layout?

(Saying any eggball / handball / football site is decent is enough for me to call bullshit. NONE of them are and I'm not just talking about that pathetic bullshit the Yanks pretend is a watchable game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Jesus Christ, I loving hate people. There's a tiny angry old man in our service drive who's been losing his poo poo and screaming at our Assistant Service Manager for a solid 20 minutes about how we damaged his car and we have to pay for it or he's going to sue.

This is AFTER he brought him into the Service Managers office, where they viewed the security footage from today together, and said tiny angry old man is quite visibly pulling into our service drive with all damage on his vehicle present. I'm not even involved and I want to go tell this guy to gently caress off.

• Locked thread