Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Teflon Don posted:

I thought Ford said gently caress movies I'm going to make fancy cabinets now?

That's what I'm saying, the guy's got other interests. These projects like Star Wars and Blade Runner aren't the kind of thing you can film in 2 weeks. He's committed a lot more of his time the past several years to acting than I'd have guessed he would.

Maybe the script is just that good? Hard to believe but you never know where the next Fury Road will come from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He's more into flying his vintage planes, rescuing people lost in the woods via helicopter, and getting trashed in clubs.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

http://www.theonion.com/article/harrison-ford-begs-agents-to-just-let-him-die-now-34408

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
He also really really likes to smoke weed. Like, lots and lots of weed.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Another batch of Character posters for Suicide Squad

Boomerang and Katana's are my favorites.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If the movie actually combined those animated visuals with its live action elements Scott Pilgrim style I'd see it a dozen times in theaters.

But it's all probably just marketing nonsense to try to make it seem more interesting than it is, unless they really did go back for reshoots to make it more fun.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Yeah, I'm really digging the posters but the trailers make it look like not something I'd like to look at.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Actually, the posters are pretty appropriate, not just pallet-wise - Just check out Joker's gang and the the supernatural villain in the subway:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I like all the people in the movie, I like the people who made the movie and I like the people who marketed the movie.

I'm not sure what it is about it that convinces me it will be infuriating dogshit.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

kiimo posted:

I like all the people in the movie, I like the people who made the movie and I like the people who marketed the movie.

I'm not sure what it is about it that convinces me it will be infuriating dogshit.

It stars a horny psycho clown

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The whole reshoot thing seems like a good cop out for not giving David Ayer & co any credit.

If you don't like the movie then it was a lost cause to begin with. If you do like the movie it's because they wised up and fixed a disaster.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ayer did the reshoots.

Also every movie does reshoots.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Aphrodite posted:

Ayer did the reshoots.

Also every movie does reshoots.

Exactly.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

kiimo posted:

I'm almost afraid to ask since I don't really care for Blade Runner but how is Harrison Ford's character still alive? Was he the only replicant who figured out how to live longer than a couple years?

Maybe he was just a regular creep

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

kiimo posted:

I'm almost afraid to ask since I don't really care for Blade Runner but how is Harrison Ford's character still alive? Was he the only replicant who figured out how to live longer than a couple years?

I thought Ford thought the Deckard as replicant thing was dumb, so maybe this is a good way to troll.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I hope this kickstarts a string of Blade Runner sequels, all unnecessary yet somehow packed with top talent across the board

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Teflon Don posted:

I thought Ford said gently caress movies I'm going to make fancy cabinets now?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm assuming this thread is participating in one long, shared in-joke?

because everyone keeps referring to Deckard as a replicant and oooh boy am I trembling with rage

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

kiimo posted:

DAMAGED
HA HA HA HA HA :)

Also, the DC cinematic universe has already shot itself in the dick twice while trying to get up and running.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

kiimo posted:

The trailer had such great lines like "they're bad guys" "come on we're bad guys" "the voices in my head are telling me to kill you, hahaha, just kidding that's not what they're saying" "they are bad guys" and lest we forget "so we're some kind of suicide squad"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

SciFiDownBeat posted:

because everyone keeps referring to Deckard as a replicant and oooh boy am I trembling with rage

Well, I'd assume if Ford is in the sequel that means we're getting a more definitive answer to that question.

You're absolutely supposed to think that there's a strong possibility he's a replicant though, but no it shouldn't be like an accepted fact that he is.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
"Reshoots" is a negative-sounding term that is used incorrectly. When you do reshoots it's because part of the story isn't working, or you recast a role, or your ending sucks, or you just made World War Z. The correct term for what 90% of features do these days is "pickups", where they film most of the movie but leave some money the budget for an extra few days to a few weeks of shooting to clean up any loose ends or unclear plot points, or to help tighten up the pacing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

You're absolutely supposed to think that there's a strong possibility he's a replicant though, but no it shouldn't be like an accepted fact that he is.

I mean, this guy is producing it and has story credit.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Deckard is a replicant. Mark my words.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Please post your 13 page manifesto about why Deckard isn't a replicant, despite what the actors and directors and everyone involved with the film say.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Please post your 13 page manifesto about why Deckard isn't a replicant, despite what the actors and directors and everyone involved with the film say.

Isn't Harrison Ford pissed that Ridley confirmed that Dekard's a replicant? According to Ford, "that was the main area of contention between Ridley and myself at the time. I thought the audience deserved one human being on the screen that they could establish an emotional relationship with. I thought I had won agreement to that, but in fact I think he had a little reservation about that. I think he really wanted to have it both ways."

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

trying to decide between a quick rant in one long unbroken paragraph with multiple misspellings or a peer-reviewed research paper with quotes and citations

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, thematically the film falls apart if he's a replicant. The entire point is that Batty is "more human" than Deckard is, despite being artificial. That he is actually more empathetic than a cop who hunts down replicants and uses the word "retire" to distance himself from the reality that he's killing sentient, emotional creatures. A cop who practically sexually assaults a replicant because he doesn't view her as a valid being (until the end, after he sees the beauty and humanity in Batty). One who has no friends or emotional connections to anyone else in his life, unlike Batty who has surrounded himself with caring relationships. In his short time in life, Batty managed to be a far better human than Deckard had in an entire human lifespan.

However, the unicorn memory (or dream, prior to the Final Cut) and Gaff's origami unicorn at the end are completely opposed to this reading.

Clearly the film was conceived as ambiguous to whether or not Deckard is replicant and shows us evidence for both possibilities, but the unicorn is pretty damning and doesn't fit into the movie otherwise. I'm fine with it being metatexually definitive in one direction via Scott, though, because the important thing is that the film brings up the questions and explores them, not what the actual answers are.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 21, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SciFiDownBeat posted:

trying to decide between a quick rant in one long unbroken paragraph with multiple misspellings or a peer-reviewed research paper with quotes and citations

Why not both?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Maybe that's just what they want you to think. :tinfoil:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, thematically the film falls apart if he's a replicant.

I don't really agree because Deckard believes he is human for the entire movie, he acts the way he does under the assumption that he is human and always has been. He, and therefore the audience, learn the same lessons regardless of whether or not he's a replicant.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think the more important and ground-breaking theme is that Sean Young needed a emotional psych evaluation.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

kiimo posted:

I think the more important and ground-breaking theme is that Sean Young needed a emotional psych evaluation.

James Woods would agree.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
They could play it ambiguous about how far along after the first it is, and thus Deckard's aged appearance could be because he's an old man, or because replicants 'degrade' in a similar way to humans.

Or they could go all the way, and make it ambiguous if Ford is playing the same character as Deckard.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, thematically the film falls apart if he's a replicant. The entire point is that Batty is "more human" than Deckard is, despite being artificial. That he is actually more empathetic than a cop who hunts down replicants and uses the word "retire" to distance himself from the reality that he's killing sentient, emotional creatures. A cop who practically sexually assaults a replicant because he doesn't view her as a valid being (until the end, after he sees the beauty and humanity in Batty). One who has no friends or emotional connections to anyone else in his life, unlike Batty who has surrounded himself with caring relationships. In his short time in life, Batty managed to be a far better human than Deckard had in an entire human lifespan.
But what a twist!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

kiimo posted:

Because it's trying too hard. "Haha LooOK how WAAcckKY we are XD!!!" in movie promotional form

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Peanut President posted:

Because it's trying too hard. "Haha LooOK how WAAcckKY we are XD!!!" in movie promotional form

No that was Deadpool.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But that is staying true to the character.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Suicide Squad the movie being obnoxious is staying true to Suicide Squad the characters too (post-reboot anyway).

And at least Bohemian Rhapsody is old enough to be considered "a classic", as opposed to X Gon Give It To Ya, which just made the Deadpool trailers feel outdated.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -

Mr. Squishy posted:

They didn't want to distract people from their surprise that it's being made.

Either that or it's a vague court date announcement for Oscar Pistorious next year...