Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
a post a day makes star citizen go for another day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

Bubbacub posted:

I still think it's funny that people are writing fan fiction of what they imagine playing the game will be like.

I popped the hatch and exited my hornet using the immersion ladder. My ship showed only as a door hovering in the air. The fuselage, landing gear, guns, and cockpit were invisible. I opened my load screen to buy another hornet, but that one dropped down sideways. It Janked and Jiggered about.

I went to the bunks to get some racktime. When I arrived I noticed another commando in front of me. As I went to take off my boots, my head got stuck inside the commando's rear end. "What a bother", I said into the muffled behind of another finely crafted comrade. It was at that moment that I fell through the floor again. Naked and alone, floating through the space below Port Olisar.

All was as it always is in the Alpha.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The only reaction needed to "they laughed at the Wright Brothers" is the Carl Sagan quote "The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."

The only reaction needed to MoMA is "gently caress off, shitehawk."

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Decrepus posted:

You have 5 minutes to run 25 meters to the shelter. WILL YOU MAKE IT IN TIME?

It'll be tough with the roughly 5 minutes of IMMERSION animations of your character putting down his chopsticks next to his noodle bowl, standing up from the chair and blotting his mouth with the napkin, etc.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

intardnation posted:

a post a day makes star citizen go for another day.

There's this hypothesis that cats bring home small animals in an attempt to teach dem stoopid hugh-mons how to hunt properly, treating them the same as any other kitten in desperate need of learning how to catte properly.

I think that cat is trying to send a completely different message…

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

At least Wesha is consistently stupid. Not only does he drop $40,000 on a space game but he is completely unable to understand his own comparisons.

The Wright Brothers analogy would apply if they had taken up money for investors for the better part of a decade, built a gigantic mansion, travelled the world and constantly sold more and more people more and more complex airplanes without ever actually building anything in the first place.

After 5 years and some ridiculous amount of 1900s money (1,000,000) they start demoing those weird old airplanes that just fell apart as soon as they tried to take off, still selling the promised perfect airplane to people, still taking in money, still travelling the world.

Approaching ten years the Wright Brothers have now billed a heavier than air flight machine that can travel the entire world with no fuel, fly into outer space, hold weaponry for fighting wars, deliver babies perfectly and cleanly, somehow research and cure disease in the upper atmosphere and literally suck your dick, while they still show off a steady stream of exploding aircraft that fall apart at the seams while taking in a never ending amount of money and outputting a never ending amount of promises.

It's almost like these two things are so not alike that only a loving idiot that is desperate to justify spending $40,000 on a scam would try and compare them.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

WLMortis posted:

Choose your own adventure!

If you think Derek assumes every word in this thread is the truth, even obvious jokes, turn to page 15.

If you think Derek is just passing along a masterful troll, turn to page 94.

If you have a bow and wish to use it, turn to page 115.

Kill Jester.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Daztek posted:

The Dutch word for 'nothing' is 'niks' which is pronounced Nyx/Nix :D

Mindblown.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

The only reaction needed to "they laughed at the Wright Brothers" is the Carl Sagan quote "The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."

The only reaction needed to MoMA is "gently caress off, shitehawk."

Also, they laughed at Columbus because it was fairly well-established that he was wrong and he had some pretty silly ideas about the planet. In the end, he sure proved the detractors right. :v:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Richie Stardust posted:

Glad that cotton mouth didn't F your poo poo up, Beet. I'm surprised one got you.

Took me a minute to realize "cotton mouth" is not Roberts.
I was about to ask "what happened? what did Chris do to Beet?"

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Criticizing Crobbits isn't looking at the Wright Brothers and telling them they're never going to get off the ground.

It's looking at someone flapping his arms and farting vigorously and telling him he's never going to get off the ground.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Lladre posted:

Only a fat guy would dream that it takes two minutes to run 70 meters.

70 meters and customs.
Don't underestimate customs.
Never underestimate customs.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

FrankieGoes posted:

Criticizing Crobbits isn't looking at the Wright Brothers and telling them they're never going to get off the ground.

It's looking at someone flapping his arms and farting vigorously and telling him he's never going to get off the ground.

Star Citizen: A vigorous fart

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tippis posted:

Also, they laughed at Columbus because it was fairly well-established that he was wrong and he had some pretty silly ideas about the planet. In the end, he sure proved the detractors right. :v:

At least Columbus was an accidental success. I don't think Croberts is going to tumble dick-first into making a great game.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

orcinus posted:

70 meters and customs.
Don't underestimate customs.
Never underestimate customs.

Why do you need to go through customs if you are leaving? Do they have some special thing they want to make sure no one takes off from the planet with?
Isn't the customs guy going to be running for the shelter that's 25 meters away? So even if there was a reverse customs, it would be unmanned?
Why is the lady next to you get deskeletonfied by some beam ray but the Vandull(sp?) are still minutes away?
Why are the Vandull deskeletonfieing people? Are they work for the Fourth Stimpire?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

At least Columbus was an accidental success. I don't think Croberts is going to tumble dick-first into making a great game.

True enough. He managed to do that once (for certain values of “great”), and it's pretty clear that this was more a lucky accident than anything. The odds of him taking the same fortuitous tumble twice are… less than spectacular.

1mpper
Nov 26, 2004
so am i right in assuming that a large amount of the $115 million for this game went to allowing chris roberts to hang out with hollywood actors while they uninspiringly recited their lines for a some videogame their manager roped them into instead of just getting actual voice acting talent for 10% the cost

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

1mpper posted:

so am i right in assuming that a large amount of the $115 million for this game went to allowing chris roberts to hang out with hollywood actors while they uninspiringly recited their lines for a some videogame their manager roped them into instead of just getting actual voice acting talent for 10% the cost

Yes. Also artisanal function-free furniture, office decorations, and “toys”.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
happy page 4300 :toot:

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

1mpper posted:

People who worked at / know people who worked at Imaginarium said it's minimum $20,000,000 to get in there for shooting. That doesn't include the actors salaries, the 4 mocap studios Chris Roberts made after that or all of the re-shoots they are still doing to this day.

The problem is nobody knows how much exactly, so backers are free to be delusional because there are no concrete numbers proving that Chris Roberts has spent something like half the entire budget on his retarded failed movie fantasies.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Or we could count development from around October of 2011 like Roberts told us to.

On the other hand, Roberts is a known liar.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Fat Shat Sings posted:

People who worked at / know people who worked at Imaginarium said it's minimum $20,000,000 to get in there for shooting. That doesn't include the actors salaries, the 4 mocap studios Chris Roberts made after that or all of the re-shoots they are still doing to this day.

The problem is nobody knows how much exactly, so backers are free to be delusional because there are no concrete numbers proving that Chris Roberts has spent something like half the entire budget on his retarded failed movie fantasies.

well acting and mocap were the $5m and $5.5m stretch goals, so I'm pretty sure the total cost was one million dollars

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tippis posted:

True enough. He managed to do that once (for certain values of “great”), and it's pretty clear that this was more a lucky accident than anything. The odds of him taking the same fortuitous tumble twice are… less than spectacular.

From what I gather (I was a filthy console-gaming peasant at the time) he was lucky in a lot of ways. He got some good people working with him, he was lucky that Origin were willing to keep spending money on the project, he was lucky that Origin let him make a sequel given that the first game didn't make a profit, and he was lucky that enough gamers were willing to buy games that often required expensive hardware upgrades. I don't think he's going to get that lucky again.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Star Citizen: You could Com Array empty handed

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Fat Shat Sings posted:

At least Wesha is consistently stupid. Not only does he drop $40,000 on a space game but he is completely unable to understand his own comparisons.

The Wright Brothers analogy would apply if they had taken up money for investors for the better part of a decade, built a gigantic mansion, travelled the world and constantly sold more and more people more and more complex airplanes without ever actually building anything in the first place.

After 5 years and some ridiculous amount of 1900s money (1,000,000) they start demoing those weird old airplanes that just fell apart as soon as they tried to take off, still selling the promised perfect airplane to people, still taking in money, still travelling the world.

Approaching ten years the Wright Brothers have now billed a heavier than air flight machine that can travel the entire world with no fuel, fly into outer space, hold weaponry for fighting wars, deliver babies perfectly and cleanly, somehow research and cure disease in the upper atmosphere and literally suck your dick, while they still show off a steady stream of exploding aircraft that fall apart at the seams while taking in a never ending amount of money and outputting a never ending amount of promises.

It's almost like these two things are so not alike that only a loving idiot that is desperate to justify spending $40,000 on a scam would try and compare them.

yeah it's almost like his desperate defenses of his poo poo-poor spending habits contradict his previous paper-thin defense of "whatever, I'm rich, of course I can flat-out burn this money :smug:"

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

hardycore posted:

Then SHOW US. With funding trending down, media turning hostile, dissension even in formerly 'safe spaces' like reddit, why on earth would they hold back?

They can stop the slide, retake control of the narrative, return goons and DS back to irrelevance, and send funding back into the stratosphere, with ONE simple trailer or demo that shows real, tangible, in game progress on either SQ42 or SC.

But they haven't.

I don't see how they could have NOTHING to show unless they, like most of thread believes, have NOTHING period.

SHOW US. "Spoilers" is no longer an acceptable excuse.

Funding trending? Yeah - I don't take a little web tracker to be indicative of true-to-life earnings. Then again, I can't offer defense for CIG if they won't show anything. I can only hope and wait with the rest of the backers that something significant will be shown this year.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Achamp posted:

If that were true, the release date isn't even the problem. The game is the problem. Others have already pointed out that the game is currently a generic-looking, buggy, steaming turd. Not only that, it's a tiny pinched loaf version of a turd that's still pushing on the insides of Ben Lesnick's stretched rectum.

Your timeline suggests that they are somewhere from the 6 month to 2.5 years out range. In the current state it's barely qualifying as a tech demo with almost none of the promised features. The star achievement from 2016 is that now you can save a wardrobe from log-off to log-on. Something that was possible in late 1980s NES games. The promised features come in "pupil to parp" format youtube videos released every year to make people think this game is actually happening as advertised. If it is released in 2018 it is going to be a slightly improved upon version of what it is now. It will be a Lesnick sized turd with a Squadron 42 pin attached.

Yes - I don't disagree. I want to believe that there is a significant amount of work done that just hasn't been shown. What we see in PU can't be indicative of all this other work they say they're doing over in the UK (on the backend).

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

1mpper posted:

You have your finger firmly on the pulse of this project.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

his nibs posted:

p hot imo

e: I might Archer it if thats cool. Ben Lesnick, Developer of racist, sexist, homophobic 'jokes' is really getting on my tits

Better you getting on Ben's tits, than Ben getting on your tits.
Would be painful.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

From what I gather (I was a filthy console-gaming peasant at the time) he was lucky in a lot of ways. He got some good people working with him, he was lucky that Origin were willing to keep spending money on the project, he was lucky that Origin let him make a sequel given that the first game didn't make a profit, and he was lucky that enough gamers were willing to buy games that often required expensive hardware upgrades. I don't think he's going to get that lucky again.

I dunno about the hardware upgrades. I mean, these backers are ALL about disposable income.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yes - I don't disagree. I want to believe that there is a significant amount of work done that just hasn't been shown. What we see in PU can't be indicative of all this other work they say they're doing over in the UK (on the backend).

The bolded portion is really all there is to it. If you want to believe that the talent is making more progress than management is revealing, then that's your prerogative. Out of curiosity, what do you think your personal breaking point is - the point where you go "oh, poo poo..."

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Samizdata posted:

I dunno about the hardware upgrades. I mean, these backers are ALL about disposable income.

True, but the sort of people who will throw that sort of money at the game already have. He's got to convince people who haven't bought the game already that it's worth buying a top end PC to play his janky snoozefest.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

why the gently caress you name a star "Stanton"

Stanton Elderly Care ltd.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

You have your finger firmly on the pulse of this project.

Someday it might flatline.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

Toast, this new "version" of you lacks that je ne sais quoi that made telling you to gently caress off so rewarding. This decaffeinated-MoMA schtick is boring.

Having said that, why wouldn't what we see in the PU be indicative of all this other work they said they're doing? Do you think they both somehow produced an unestable, janky, boring piece of poo poo taht they update every two months or so and something actually decent but that they choose to show the crap? Is that what you actually believe?

gently caress off toast.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

orcinus posted:

Better you getting on Ben's tits, than Ben getting on your tits.
Would be painful.

:agreed:

:parp:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

your dog is cool anywhere

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

True, but the sort of people who will throw that sort of money at the game already have. He's got to convince people who haven't bought the game already that it's worth buying a top end PC to play his janky snoozefest.

There's always one more sucker in the world. (cf Amway, Church of Scientology, Herbalife)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Lladre posted:

Why do you need to go through customs if you are leaving? Do they have some special thing they want to make sure no one takes off from the planet with?
Isn't the customs guy going to be running for the shelter that's 25 meters away? So even if there was a reverse customs, it would be unmanned?
Why is the lady next to you get deskeletonfied by some beam ray but the Vandull(sp?) are still minutes away?
Why are the Vandull deskeletonfieing people? Are they work for the Fourth Stimpire?

The realistic physics engine is going to accurately model human crushes and the wind being compressed out of your body with your vision fades just before the vanduul hyper-torpedo blows you up.

• Locked thread