Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Trip report: for obvious reasons everyone is playing SM and their ships are all 75/75/75.

So get the things with lances for the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Trip report: for obvious reasons everyone is playing SM and their ships are all 75/75/75.

So get the things with lances for the moment.

SM ships even have 200 less base health to make them extra easy to kill with lance. Lance , AP round, and torpedo kill them fast.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
SM also have a frigate that can be upgraded to have homing boarding torps.

EDIT: After playing around a bit before work I am not the biggest fan of boarding torps on line ships. While they are homing they are really easy to dodge. Sure they come back again and again but your turrets will eventually chew them up. Played against a player shooting 10 of them at me and he did not do much because I was turning so much. Stick to regular torps and the prow cannon that reduces armour to 25.

Raged fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 21, 2016

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How come Lotsa Gunz has only 1 damage?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Nickiepoo posted:

Bigger ships = more skills and more renown cost per skill.

I'm not referring to the renown cost, I'm talking about the ship selection cost.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

How come Lotsa Gunz has only 1 damage?

Because it's a lot of small guns that only do one damage per shot, but throw out a huge amount of shots. They're not very good overall, but not as bad as you'd think from their damage stat.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Am I reading the customization process wrong, or can you only have a grot launcher on a light cruiser if you don't switch torpedoes for prow cannon, thereby giving the ship no "actual" weapons?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, with the release of Space Marines I decided to play this some more. As a faction they're rather amusing me considering they're all extremely fast, very heavily armored, and absolutely bristling with ordnance. Their "disadvantage" of low shields and weak health is mitigated by both the above factors, along with having access to Voss-pattern shields, and they're probably a better assault craft faction than Chaos now.

I am having one strange issue though, and I suspect it's a bug. When ramming, my ships have often been ignoring my orders to move in a different direction after the ram, and just continue to push the ship along, refusing to turn, well after I've turned off AAF. While this is amusing, it's also something of an issue given I often really want them doing something else. Is anyone else seeing this?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
MM is placing all the SM into the same queue. Also nothing more fun than facing max level SM admirals with the Battlebarges on your lvl 1 Admiral.

Also who thought it was funny to make battlebarges >300 points? Do the devs not play their loving game? I have to say I'm kinda mad at this content patch :/

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Homing boarding torps are both hilarious and the most OP thing ever. Lost a Deathdealer before it could even reach the enemy ships.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
multiplayer is still very much hosed with match making and will continue to be such until they make upgrades cost points..............seriously it is straight retarded to have new fleets vs lvl 10 fleets. It pushes people out of the game and leads to a shallow playerbase. That said, I do eagerly await more single player campaign content sometime in the next 5 years.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Baron Porkface posted:

I'm not referring to the renown cost, I'm talking about the ship selection cost.

Doesn't effect it. It's dumb.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Nickiepoo posted:

Doesn't effect it. It's dumb.

It's like repeatedly punching yourself in the dick. I love playing rank 10 players as rank 2. Honestly just looking at the reddit page for the game it seems really dead. Kind of a shame but if MP is a constant series of dick punches from spergs with too much time what can ya expect.

Raged fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 22, 2016

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Phew! Ground out a level 8 Marine Admiral. Here are my thoughts:

- Marines are really reliant on their Battleship to tie together their fleet. Their ships are tough but brittle and only the Barge has any real staying power. Any match where I can't bring a barge I feel at a huge disadvantage.
- I don't like marine torpedoes and I've started to rebalance my fleet away from them. In the early game they're good but late game I feel like it's just too time-consuming to try and line up the shots in the middle of a multi-ship melee. I switched out all my vanguards for bombardment cannon editions and I like the additional punch.
- I love how quick the Marine stuff is. They've got great speed and the ability to engage at a wide variety of ranges. It's a nice change after playing orks for so long.
- Brace for Impact makes ships basically invincible.
- The Chapter Master favour should be gotten early, it should go on a vanguard, and then it should get maxed out. All the other favours can be left off until battleships become available.
- I'm not sure which Battleship I like more. The lance one is a great long-range fire platform, hampered by its 90' arc on the forward lances but you can still lay down 5 lance shots on anything within 9K. The bombardment cannon one is capable of outputting huge damage and seems like a better brawler. I'm using both right now and I'll see which one works out more useful.
- Angles are a bit weird with the Marines. With, like, IN you want to be all broadside all the time but Marines have their weaponry very spaced out so they benefit from rotation and using their quick speeds to zoof around their firing arcs.
- I haven't settled on skills yet. The loss of BCs means that there isn't really a utility ship other than the BB, which means all my ranged recon relies on my BBs.
- I regret choosing Dark Angels. They're so drab! Ultramarines would have been a much more vibrant choice.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, I'm thinking that those '4 boarding actions every 30 seconds from a light cruiser' Torpedoes need to be toned down just a loving bit.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Thanqol posted:

- I regret choosing Dark Angels. They're so drab! Ultramarines would have been a much more vibrant choice.

Does not compute.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

Also who thought it was funny to make battlebarges >300 points? Do the devs not play their loving game? I have to say I'm kinda mad at this content patch :/

nah man i dont think the people who make the game play the game

phew im glad you caught that

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Asmodai_00 posted:

nah man i dont think the people who make the game play the game

phew im glad you caught that

It's my duty to please that ... oh hrrm wrong thread.

I'm glad you caught onto my hyperbole though ;).

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
I chose Dark Angels because their ships are green and have zero regrets but lighter coloured ships would be nice in terms of them actually standing out from the dark blackness of space.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
My IN anti-Ork lance flee is also a perfectly fine anti-SM fleet. Also, it seems like every player nowadays just sits in a gas cloud at the back and spams torpedos. It's not even a good strategy.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

They never put out customizing your color scheme, did they?

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Protip: the best way to win in constant SM mirror land is to take AP ammo. If you both have 75 armor on all facings, the guy with AP ammo is doing literally 3x as much damage with his macros, which outweighs pretty much any other upgrade.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They never put out customizing your color scheme, did they?

Nope not yet.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Fetterkey posted:

Protip: the best way to win in constant SM mirror land is to take AP ammo. If you both have 75 armor on all facings, the guy with AP ammo is doing literally 3x as much damage with his macros, which outweighs pretty much any other upgrade.

I've been winning that matchup with shield ups since SM macro damage is such absolute garbage. Either can work but both result in long, drawn out poke fights. Non-boarding torpedoes though are what end up dealing the damage, having the extra shields just lets me slog it out longer before I line those up.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Quad Zzzaaap Deathdealer is also very fun vs SM :D

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Yukitsu posted:

I've been winning that matchup with shield ups since SM macro damage is such absolute garbage. Either can work but both result in long, drawn out poke fights. Non-boarding torpedoes though are what end up dealing the damage, having the extra shields just lets me slog it out longer before I line those up.

I use those too, but it can be easy to lose your gens with all those boarding actions and SM enhanced boarding (a cruiser gets 4 attacks and they're all at -10 troop value with increased chance of subsystem snipes). I suppose they can crit your weapons too, but it takes two of those to remove your macros and you're still live for torps and bombardments.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SM has provided me to most fun so far. I only play against the comp but if had mirror matches where no one had any guns left, no shields, and the only damage being done is from repeatedly boarding each other.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Uh, there isn't an upgrade that allows someone to keep his ship unrevealed even when it's ramming you, right? Dunno if it's a glitch, or I was lagging, or it was a cheat but I ran into the guy twice and it was the same both times.

Unusual
Nov 12, 2013

Mordja posted:

Uh, there isn't an upgrade that allows someone to keep his ship unrevealed even when it's ramming you, right? Dunno if it's a glitch, or I was lagging, or it was a cheat but I ran into the guy twice and it was the same both times.

I had this, and a guy start shooting homing boarding torpedos at me second one happen today, I'm assuming it's a cheat thing on both counts.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Thanqol posted:

Phew! Ground out a level 8 Marine Admiral. Here are my thoughts:

- Marines are really reliant on their Battleship to tie together their fleet. Their ships are tough but brittle and only the Barge has any real staying power. Any match where I can't bring a barge I feel at a huge disadvantage.
- I don't like marine torpedoes and I've started to rebalance my fleet away from them. In the early game they're good but late game I feel like it's just too time-consuming to try and line up the shots in the middle of a multi-ship melee. I switched out all my vanguards for bombardment cannon editions and I like the additional punch.
- I love how quick the Marine stuff is. They've got great speed and the ability to engage at a wide variety of ranges. It's a nice change after playing orks for so long.
- Brace for Impact makes ships basically invincible.
- The Chapter Master favour should be gotten early, it should go on a vanguard, and then it should get maxed out. All the other favours can be left off until battleships become available.
- I'm not sure which Battleship I like more. The lance one is a great long-range fire platform, hampered by its 90' arc on the forward lances but you can still lay down 5 lance shots on anything within 9K. The bombardment cannon one is capable of outputting huge damage and seems like a better brawler. I'm using both right now and I'll see which one works out more useful.
- Angles are a bit weird with the Marines. With, like, IN you want to be all broadside all the time but Marines have their weaponry very spaced out so they benefit from rotation and using their quick speeds to zoof around their firing arcs.
- I haven't settled on skills yet. The loss of BCs means that there isn't really a utility ship other than the BB, which means all my ranged recon relies on my BBs.

You are so right on many things and thank you for passing good info. Haven't reached level 8 yet but fought a ton of games as and against them. 2 vs 2. I did Ultramarines and got a lance Battle Barge. My trip report:
Pros:
-The Marine paint job is purty. I settled on Smurfs to raise the highest as I'm gay for Matt Ward I guess.
- Homing Missiles aka Homing Boarding Torpedoes are super easy. Most people put them on autocast and they will target whatever. Since you are super god Spess Mahreen, you will excel at boarding actions and since you will get extra troop value. This means you will slaughter everyone.
- You are fairly fast and fairly manoeuvrable. Combine that with all around great armour means you are now what Orkz wish they were. Ram and assault. Get stuck in.
-Every fast cruiser class has drop ships. Drop ships with amazing troops.
-Even a level one unupgraded battle barge kicks serious bootay and you can keep up decently with leveled battleships.
-Like in the fluff: Your enemies will run in fear or ragequit when they see you.
-Very newbie player friendly
-They kill Eldar easier than most.

Cons:
-Brittle. Thanquol is spot on, all praise be the Horned Rat. Better with the right upgrades of course but they felt less tanky than IN. Macros with Armour Pierce work wonders.
-Their sensor range is universally 5k. Even on all their frigates. Get a smart chaos player and he will still kite from out of sight. Same with eldar.
-Their frigates are meh.
-Lances on ships have a use. They melt Space Marines apparently. Saw a Gothic and a Dauntless just smack marines around like bitches. Chaos seems to do well if given range to kite and/or snipe. Zzaps are good against em too.
-Homing Torps are cheese. Yes, you have to waste an upgrade but almost ship can have homing torps if you choose the correct ship. Every other Space Marine player goes nothing but homing torps. Homing torps move like bombers. Keep in mind you still get the assault thunderhawks so you have potentially two sources of auto targeting assaulting troops on top of your normal close ranged sources. This leads us to ...
-Worst players ever. Remember that rush of pulsar eldar players who just spammed pulsars from outside sight and made the gun not fun? They are now Marines. Autofire or autocast on torps means that every lazy mofo can sit in a cloud, send a probe and spam homing torpedoes.
-Playing 2 v 2 you will get hit from your own teammate if you are close to him (your buddy) or your enemy. Due to autocast they don't notice and they will kill you. If you play Chaos, Eldar or IN just stay far away and snipe. If you are play Orkz just remember that fightin is fun and just be prepared to repair your ships often.

Nickiepoo posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking that those '4 boarding actions every 30 seconds from a light cruiser' Torpedoes need to be toned down just a loving bit.

Yeah. Granted I do not make video games for a living, but I would just lessen the manoeuvrability of the drat torpedoes and make boarding torpedoes their own thing (like it is now) but give them a MASSIVE cooldown. The fact that they can spam homing so many torps AND thunderhawks, on top of regular lightning strikes and boarding while having the best troops around is too much. The ability to send these movie style heat seeking missiles from across the map is retarded. Once they are spotted (by probe, inquisitor favour or the map being assassinate or data recovery) you can just send them on their way. Bring space marines means they will succeed far more at boarding and so you have a crippled ship in no time. Just lessen that. Give it a loooong cooldown so it can be a once or twice per battle nasty move but not their crutch.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I don't get why SM have homing boarding torps and Orkz don't. A goblin strapped to a rocket is as Orky as you can get.

With as gimped as they are you would think someone on the dev team got beat up by a ork as a child.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Just giving you the authentic BFG tabletop Ork experience. :v:

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
So after getting a couple of swirlies as Marines by Marines I switched over to Chaos. It was a much more relaxing experience - Chaos has a lot of counters to Marines and Marines are everywhere.

My two Acheron Battlecruisers are total Marine-murderers. Their banks of 15K lances just punch through the Marine shells and Nurgle favour keeps those nutso boarding actions off your rear end. I have a lot more trouble with the marine BBs, those suckers take forever to die.

Game of the night was when motherfucker managed to lure me into an ambush and surround me with two Battlebarges. As I'm getting rammed from both sides by the biggest, slowest, ugliest ship in the game all I can think is 'How did this happen? I'm meant to be smarter than this'.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
To add to already out there comments:

Pros

-Their favour upgrade that gives them 4 extra upgrades is amazing as is the librarian.
-Chapter master is game changingly powerful.
-Boarding actions finally have a reason to exist, now something is actually better at assaults than triple lightning striking Eldar.

Cons

-Most of their favours seem to do 1 thing instead of 2 with the option to make that 1 thing as powerful as a normal favour.
-Holy poo poo renown costs.
-They have really no counter against kiting, long distance factions.
-Lack of fighters as an option makes them too vulnerable to pretty much everything chaos. Being shat upon by lances and nurgle was bad enough but you also insta lose to their fighters.
-Space Marines are both upgrade starved and crew starved with priority split too much between them all.
-Their DPS is second lowest in the game, just ahead of Eldar. Often normal torpedoes are the only chance they have of dealing killing damage.

Yukitsu fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 23, 2016

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Yukitsu posted:

To add to already out there comments:

Pros

-Their favour upgrade that gives them 4 extra upgrades is amazing as is the librarian.
-Chapter master is game changingly powerful.
-Boarding actions finally have a reason to exist, now something is actually better at assaults than triple lightning striking Eldar.

Cons

-Most of their favours seem to do 1 thing instead of 2 with the option to make that 1 thing as powerful as a normal favour.
-Holy poo poo renown costs.
-They have really no counter against kiting, long distance factions.
-Lack of fighters as an option makes them too vulnerable to pretty much everything chaos. Being shat upon by lances and nurgle was bad enough but you also insta lose to their fighters.
-Space Marines are both upgrade starved and crew starved with priority split too much between them all.
-Their DPS is second lowest in the game, just ahead of Eldar. Often normal torpedoes are the only chance they have of dealing killing damage.

Also those favours are each on one ship so choose the chapter master ship and use it. That favour really is a game changer. Brace is even more of a "I will not die" stance. Had one guy with the barest sliver of health hit that and repair. Soon he ended the game with almost a full bar.

Boarding torps can be avoided by going silent and that is it. Had a group of them chasing me and was unable to go RS so I boostered around and behind them, chuckling how clever I was. They proceeded to turn around 360 and chase me. My booster ran out and all of them nailed me in the rear end. Fast Cruiser went from almost full health to dead after the initial impact and burning. Had another group follow me to the other end of the map. If you Run Silent they will still go on the last path they saw you so change your course. If you don't have Run Silent your big hope is using someone else's ship to soak up the damage. Eldar might be the easiest at this. <sigh> I'm now giving pro Eldar advice. SEE WHAT YOU DID GAME!?! Also Pulsars melt Marines really well so feel free to Pulsar cheese if you are fighting Marines.

Homing Torps manually cast need a visual target. I swear that autocast torps do not. I had some on autocast to test this and many times I saw nothing but they fired and chased a target that was invisible the entire time. Killed it too. Really if they nerfed torps like the ways I suggested earlier Marines would still be powerful but not cheese.

More anti marine advice: lances, lances, lances. There is a reason to field the gothic now. Traded one of my daunts to test it and it did great as did my one fast cruiser with the prow lance. My Tyrant and its plasma macro also wrecked them fairly well.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
A new patch just hit. Apparently orks are cheaper but I'm not sure by how much. They also got Belt Armor back.

Deets at http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16849

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Now those are some patch notes I can get behind. Pretty much solid all around changes/fixes

I knew Chapter Master had to be bugged because maxed out I could wipe out a ships weapons or subsystems in basically one pass.

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS

Mordja posted:

A new patch just hit. Apparently orks are cheaper but I'm not sure by how much. They also got Belt Armor back.

Deets at http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16849

an ork light kroozer with the megakannon went from 97 points to like 84, escorts dropped about four points each as well

as an aside, my zzap-centered ork fleet with a handful of launch bays for fighter coverage is rapidly approaching 15-0 vs SM. marines and lance weapons really do not get along

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Well heck, might get back into Orks after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Orkz with Zzaps really tear apart SM. Borderline OP vs them.

• Locked thread