Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I understand your exact frustration. I am only now starting to understand, and I could very well be understanding wrong.

On your back swing, are your arms doing most of the work in positioning your club? I know I was (and sort of still am ) doing that and it is why I struggled with the concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Sataere posted:

I understand your exact frustration. I am only now starting to understand, and I could very well be understanding wrong.

On your back swing, are your arms doing most of the work in positioning your club? I know I was (and sort of still am ) doing that and it is why I struggled with the concept.

Something sort of clicked in my head tonight so I went out and hit the range. I basically did the low and slow back swing maintaining the triangle and then I just let momentum carry my arms up the rest of the way. Then I just flicked my wrist back a little to cock them and let centrifugal force do the rest on my downswing. I just let my wrists do their thing passively. I could not believe how fast the clubhead went. This resulted in me hitting some bombs.

are my wrists supposed to be totally relaxed and do nothing?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Try to remove as much tension as possible while staying in control. This will allow you to properly release the club head through impact.

With the hands I imagine the grip strength of holding a bird, firm enough so it can't escape yet gentle so as you don't crush it.

Applies to putting as well.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Steambath Weather, Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the 9 Iron

Anytime I found myself at 130-135 yards this weekend I was thrilled. My 9 iron was dialed the gently caress in. My driver and 4 wood off the tee could do no wrong either. Putting is leaving a little to be desired but we've had very little rain lately so the greens were very firm and very fast.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with shooting an 84 in 90+ degree weather. With a little work I could finally break 80 at TCC this year.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Sataere posted:

So did what I just say make any sense? Most of the guys I play with are decent, but their feedback is unreliable.

Halo14 posted:

Try to remove as much tension as possible while staying in control. This will allow you to properly release the club head through impact.

With the hands I imagine the grip strength of holding a bird, firm enough so it can't escape yet gentle so as you don't crush it.

Applies to putting as well.
I've also heard the baby bird thing and it works for me. There seems to be a direct correlation between how limp my arms and wrists feel and how well I hit the ball. The basic idea as I now understand it is this:

The goal is to set up with the clubhead behind the ball and then to get back to that spot on the downswing. You arnt using your wirst or arm muscles because you don't need to, and only bad things can come from it. If you rotate your torso and hips keeping your spine angle straight, and then rotate back the same way, you will get back to the same spot.

If this is wrong, please let me know, but its how I hit at the range last time and the results were pleasing.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Shot a 95 today. After taking a 9 year hiatus after high school I've finally started playing again. I didn't realize the course I was playing at was known for slow play when I got there but oh my god the reviews were not wrong. I ended up getting the starter to let me start on the back 9. I ran through that in like an hour and 10 minutes and made the turn and ran into one of my coworkers playing with his friend. So I joined them for the other 9 and that took us 2 and a half hours.

I forgot how fun this sport can be when you're actually out there playing. I've been to the driving range a bunch but hadn't played 18 holes since high school.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Boarding the plane home from MDW to Houston, I just happened to look out the window at the baggage cart, and I saw my golf bag on the ground. The rest of the cart still has luggage, only mine is on the ground, and they're stepping over my bag over and over again to load the conveyor belt.

And the jackasses at EWR cut off my TSA-approved lock. Why would they do that? They have a key for it.

If my clubs are damaged, I don't know what I'm going to do.

Edit: Stewardess came over to ask why I was filming baggage, and I told her that was my golf bag on the ground out there. She just giggled and said, "Oh!"

Help. :ohdear:

Kameh fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 21, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh no :(

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Kameh posted:

Boarding the plane home from MDW to Houston, I just happened to look out the window at the baggage cart, and I saw my golf bag on the ground. The rest of the cart still has luggage, only mine is on the ground, and they're stepping over my bag over and over again to load the conveyor belt.

And the jackasses at EWR cut off my TSA-approved lock. Why would they do that? They have a key for it.

If my clubs are damaged, I don't know what I'm going to do.

Edit: Stewardess came over to ask why I was filming baggage, and I told her that was my golf bag on the ground out there. She just giggled and said, "Oh!"

Help. :ohdear:

I believe the proper nomenclature is "In Flight Customer Service Representative" - Also one of the screeners in the depths of the luggage dungeon opened your bag and stole your balls and anything else small of value. Hope you didn't have a range finder!

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 21, 2016

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

thebushcommander posted:

Hope you didn't have a range finder!

I always put my rangefinder in my carry on because I know TSA is gonna be opening the bag and rifling through my stuff.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anyone here play with an Apple Watch? Apparently I am getting one tonight and figured I'd check out the golf apps for it. I know Golfshot and Hole19 are the 2 most popular ones. Anyone like either one more than the other?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

ironlung posted:

I always put my rangefinder in my carry on because I know TSA is gonna be opening the bag and rifling through my stuff.

Basically. When I travel and bring clubs I always ship them through Fedex so nothing happens. It helps that my company gets a ridiculous volume discount through FedEx, I can send my clubs pretty much anywhere in the USA for 10-30 dollars plus the cost of the box for an additional $5. Worth it since it costs anywhere from 25-50 to check them now days anyway. Probably won't help much when I go to Mexico in February though.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

mattfl posted:

Anyone here play with an Apple Watch? Apparently I am getting one tonight and figured I'd check out the golf apps for it. I know Golfshot and Hole19 are the 2 most popular ones. Anyone like either one more than the other?

I have a Pebble watch and regularly use it with the Golf Pad app. Works great.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Debating an impromptu drive up from Atlanta to DC this weekend. Any good affordable courses I should hit up along the way? (e.g. not Pinehurst)

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

My production motorhome on the commercial I'm shooting is literally parked along the fence of a golf course and it is killing me.

At least I have A/C.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

daslog posted:

Something sort of clicked in my head tonight so I went out and hit the range. I basically did the low and slow back swing maintaining the triangle and then I just let momentum carry my arms up the rest of the way. Then I just flicked my wrist back a little to cock them and let centrifugal force do the rest on my downswing. I just let my wrists do their thing passively. I could not believe how fast the clubhead went. This resulted in me hitting some bombs.

are my wrists supposed to be totally relaxed and do nothing?

I like reading your posts because you're in a very similar place as me and on the same journey of learning how to swing. I started out not too long ago shooting 120's with an arm dominated swing that I had no hope of controlling. I'm slowly working in more lower body movement. I'm down to the 95-105 range at the moment. I would say the feeling you're describing makes perfect sense to me — I too am working on keeping my arms, wrists, hands, etc. completely passive. It's certainly not an easy transition. Despite long being aware of my arm and wrist overuse I'm still working on it actively every practice session.

Since I'm very much a 'feel' person I've come up with an analogy that might be of some use:

Without a club, hold your arms out in front of you and move them back and forth smoothly in a circle. That's essentially an arm dominated swing.
Now, do the same thing but spin your body and let your arms fly freely. I know I personally can generate a lot more speed this way. The path of my arms is pretty much the same too but it's maintained with centrifugal force instead of my arms holding everything up. This makes it highly repeatable since I'm not consciously doing anything to control it.

It's a very simple demonstration of the power of the body turn, both in power and accuracy, that's helped me get in the right frame of mind.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Ya that is good advice and a nice way to visualize. Its hard to accept but pretty much yeah, it really does seem like having dead arms helps with hitting the ball. In a way it totally makes sense. We are effectively trying to turn our body, with its hundreds of muscles and tendons, into a simple mechanical pendulum - I mean, a robot has no trouble hitting a golf ball perfectly every time. By relaxing your arms (especially your grip which relaxes your forearms), you simulate more effectively that robot.

Also, don't forget, we are not swinging a 15 pound axe to split a 2 foot thick piece of oak. This is a 1.6 ounce golf ball being hit by a club so light and delicate that club shaft weight in measured in grams. All you need is club head speed and you get the most by swinging with your body. I'm working hard on the things that help with that and it is difficult, but it sounds like we are all seeing results.

mattfl posted:

The free version is just as good, is there a free version anymore?
Sweet found the free version, thanks.

cheese fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 21, 2016

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Josh Lyman posted:

Debating an impromptu drive up from Atlanta to DC this weekend. Any good affordable courses I should hit up along the way? (e.g. not Pinehurst)

It's out of your way a bit in that you'd have to take I-81 through western VA instead of 85/95 through Richmond, but if you're up for a detour the Pete Dye River Course at Virginia Tech was pretty nice when I played there several years ago. I think they still hold the ACC tournament there from time to time. I payed 20 something bucks when I was a student there but I think It's only $50 during the week for the public.

If you do decide to do that you could follow 81 up to 66 and hit up Landsdowne in Leesburg, VA on your way into the district. I think the Robert Trent jones course there can get pricy though, like 120-130ish.

Also if you know anyone who is a member of Robert Trent Jones Golf Club then you can conjure up your favorite Presidents cup fantasies.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 21, 2016

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Took the afternoon off and spent a solid 5 hours at the course playing 18 and doing a lot of putting practice. My 4 person scramble on Saturday and 2 person scramble Sunday both went well but I didn't make anything over 6 feet either round and it stung a bit.

The 17th at this course is a downhill par 4, 340ish yards dead straight but very narrow. The fairway is just over 20 yards wide and there are trees on both sides. Here's my drive today:

I've been on/near/past this green a couple times before with my tee shot, this is the first time I've ended up so close to the pin though and I made the eagle putt. Ended up with a 74, the same score I had Sunday with the 2 person scramble, despite still not making any great putts.

I kinda feel like DJ; if my putter ever gets hot while the rest of my game is working this well, I'd actually be a pretty solid golfer! I'm just missing like 20mph of clubhead speed and Paulina.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Summit posted:

I like reading your posts because you're in a very similar place as me and on the same journey of learning how to swing. I started out not too long ago shooting 120's with an arm dominated swing that I had no hope of controlling. I'm slowly working in more lower body movement. I'm down to the 95-105 range at the moment. I would say the feeling you're describing makes perfect sense to me — I too am working on keeping my arms, wrists, hands, etc. completely passive. It's certainly not an easy transition. Despite long being aware of my arm and wrist overuse I'm still working on it actively every practice session.

Since I'm very much a 'feel' person I've come up with an analogy that might be of some use:

Without a club, hold your arms out in front of you and move them back and forth smoothly in a circle. That's essentially an arm dominated swing.
Now, do the same thing but spin your body and let your arms fly freely. I know I personally can generate a lot more speed this way. The path of my arms is pretty much the same too but it's maintained with centrifugal force instead of my arms holding everything up. This makes it highly repeatable since I'm not consciously doing anything to control it.

It's a very simple demonstration of the power of the body turn, both in power and accuracy, that's helped me get in the right frame of mind.

Thanks! Yesterday in leagues I hit 2 drives 260 yards.That's 40 farther than my best ever, both dead straight. I'm firmly in the convinced catagory, now I just have to figure out how to stop hitting in fat and thin. When I connect, it's a thing of beauty.

Edit: I hit the range tonight. Totally sucked. My arms felt stiff and uncomfortable. I never really connected with the ball with anything but the Driver, which felt loose and I hit it straight for a mile.

daslog fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 22, 2016

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

Tobacco Road? $117 bucks :D

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I'm taking a golf trip in July to some RTJ Trail courses in Alabama. 2 courses at Magnolia Grove (Falls and Short) in Mobile, 2 at Capitol Hill (Senator and Judge) in Prattville, and The Ridge course at Oxmoor Valley in Birmingham.

So. Freaking. Pumped.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

I'm taking a golf trip in July to some RTJ Trail courses in Alabama. 2 courses at Magnolia Grove (Falls and Short) in Mobile, 2 at Capitol Hill (Senator and Judge) in Prattville, and The Ridge course at Oxmoor Valley in Birmingham.

So. Freaking. Pumped.

DId you end up losing anything out of your bag?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

The weather in this part of NY has been phenomenal for golf this year. We had one of the driest winters ever and then May and June have both been very dry as well. So many gorgeous days on the course, and the fairways are like Chambers Bay at last years Open. I had 139 yards to the pin for my second shot on the par 5 third hole last night, which is about 25 yards closer than I've ever been. It was a 250ish carry drive and then literally 100 yards of roll.

Tomorrow and the weekend are all supposed to be sunny and 85-90 degrees, and all of next week is similar except for maybe Monday morning. Many of the courses around here don't have sprinklers anywhere except around the greens, so we could really use some rain for the tees and fairways. But until then if you can keep the ball in the fairway, a lot of the local courses are probably playing shorter than they ever have. Unfortunately the greens are hard too so stopping a wedge is a rare occurrence on most holes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm just going to leave this here...

http://i.imgur.com/1YHxx0j.gifv

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Josh Lyman posted:

:allears:

You young kids should try to marry a women that can golf.

Had a great lesson today. Smooth swing, one piece takeaway, have to stop sliding the hips, and when I hook it it's because I'm closing the face.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

daslog posted:

I should make a dating app called Golfr.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

daslog posted:

That's the goal.

Unfortunately they're few and far between in the north east.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

daslog posted:

Actually my golf time is my get away from the girlfriend time.

"I'm not going to answer my phone for six hours*, I'm golfing"

*She doesn't know how long it takes to play golf other than TV coverage.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

daslog posted:

Had a great lesson today. Smooth swing, one piece takeaway, have to stop sliding the hips, and when I hook it it's because I'm closing the face.

All of that is awesome except the hooking part.

You're not hooking (having the ball move right to left, assuming right handed) because your club face is closed. You're hooking because your swing path at impact is more inside-out relative to your target than your face is pointing left relative to your target.

Face angle dictates launch direction and swing path dictates curve.

Just as an example, my go-to shot with the driver is a big high pull-fade (starts left and fades back to the middle). At impact, my club face is closed - pointing left of the target a few degrees - and I make sure to swing out to in (set up a little bit open and swing along my foot line). That shot will move left to right every time.

Hope this doesn't come across as pedantic or anything. Understanding what causes different ball flights is a huge part of being able to effectively diagnose swing flaws.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

BCRock posted:

All of that is awesome except the hooking part.

You're not hooking (having the ball move right to left, assuming right handed) because your club face is closed. You're hooking because your swing path at impact is more inside-out relative to your target than your face is pointing left relative to your target.

Face angle dictates launch direction and swing path dictates curve.

Just as an example, my go-to shot with the driver is a big high pull-fade (starts left and fades back to the middle). At impact, my club face is closed - pointing left of the target a few degrees - and I make sure to swing out to in (set up a little bit open and swing along my foot line). That shot will move left to right every time.

Hope this doesn't come across as pedantic or anything. Understanding what causes different ball flights is a huge part of being able to effectively diagnose swing flaws.

I questioned him on that too. The rules of ball flight are actually something like 66% swing path and 33% club face. As measured by my sensor, my swing path is actually a little outside-in. The face gets closed because I get a little flippy with the golf club.

We made a small adjustment and it went away.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Yup. If your face is way closed and your path is only a little out-in you're still going to hit a draw/hook, but the ball's also going to start out going left and just get worse from there.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

BCRock posted:

Yup. If your face is way closed and your path is only a little out-in you're still going to hit a draw/hook, but the ball's also going to start out going left and just get worse from there.

Exactly. We worked on swinging inside-out (which is really just hitting the ball square but it feels like hitting inside out) and getting the face square. Still have work to do but as he put it "Golf is adjusting between strokes. It never ends"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I kind of really want to buy this so that I can unleash the dragon, but it seems like a waste of $10 just for a meme

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

Actually my golf time is my get away from the girlfriend time.

"I'm not going to answer my phone for six hours*, I'm golfing"

*She doesn't know how long it takes to play golf other than TV coverage.

Haha the amount of times I've heard someone say that.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
that still doesn't stop them from calling multiple times beginning 3 hrs into the round and on adding honeydo list items, emergency alerts (the dog just barked! I want to buy a new kitchen when can we do that?) and time/logistical quizzes.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

daslog posted:

I find that a good dose of hobbies and activities that only one of us enjoys is a healthy thing for relationships. I have a friend who married the "she loves everything I love" woman and it has created tension at times - sometimes you just need to get away!

Josh Lyman posted:

I kind of really want to buy this so that I can unleash the dragon, but it seems like a waste of $10 just for a meme

Uhhh, waste? That is a funny way to spell "Great Use of 10 dollars"...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

cheese posted:

Uhhh, waste? That is a funny way to spell "Great Use of 10 dollars"...

Seriously, buy that stupid thing right now

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

that still doesn't stop them from calling multiple times beginning 3 hrs into the round and on adding honeydo list items, emergency alerts (the dog just barked! I want to buy a new kitchen when can we do that?) and time/logistical quizzes.

This happens to me with my production manager all the time (I'm a film production coordinator) and it is also why my phone has a do not disturb setting haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

The one who catches the ball in her shirt is smokeshow and noted IG model Paige Spiranac.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 25, 2016