Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

SO I am doing a smoked brisket this coming weekend. I am seriously considering putting the fat trimmings into my lodge and let it cook away on the top rack of the smoker (If I can fit it). Should add a bit more to the seasoning I suspect.

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xdPSPVUVg8

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Shoulda cast himself some cutlery to go with it.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Jose posted:

glass owns and will do basically anything you want while being piss easy to clean

Glass is better than coil, but I still can't wait to get rid of this dumb fragile thing and replace it with gas.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

What are everyone's thoughts/experience regarding glass top stoves with cast iron? I'm moving into a house with one and my first instinct is that I cannot use them on it, both because of potential scratching on the pans and potential breaking of the stove-top. We plan to get a gas range at some point down the line, but buying a house ain't cheap, so for now that's not an option.

I lightly scratched the glass top with my flat bottomed pan but managed to buff them out, but had no issues with my pan with a lip around the edge.

Flatmates then proceeded to buy a frying pan with what I can only imagine are razorblades on the bottom and scratched the glass top to all fuckery.

If you're worried about it, you can get flat stainless steel heat diffusers/converter plates for induction->ceramic and just put the CI on that. https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-In...WX6ZT5XVE8DSM91

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Two questions and a comment:

1) Variation between cast-iron brands? Everything I've read indicates that there's not a tremendous amount of variation is cast-iron cookware quality. I've been using a Cracker Barrel (yes, really) 10-inch cast-iron skillet that my mother gave me a few years ago, and it's working great. I don't see a need to replace it. What's your opinion?

2) Has anyone made pie crust in cast iron? I'm thinking of making a quiche in a cast-iron skillet rather than a pie pan. If I cook the bacon, leeks, mushrooms, etc. in the cast iron, there will be a little residue of that flavor when I put the pie crust into it. Would that make for a crispier, tastier crust? Or would it not really make a difference.

The comment: Induction stoves are great for cast iron and saving the glass top. Induction doesn't create heat on its own. Rather it heats up the iron. Because of that, we can put a paper towel underneath our cast-iron skillet. The skillet gets as got as normal; the paper towel doesn't burn; and we can slide the skillet without scratching the glass top.
Really, though, it wouldn't be the end of my world if my glass top got scratched. If I couldn't have both a clean, smooth glass surface; as well as deliciously seared steaks; I would choose the latter over the former.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Keep using your pan, it is fine. And pies turn out allright in a skillet. You will likely need to adjust cooking time, however.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If your cast iron pan is not cracked into pieces it is a good cast iron pan.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Enourmo posted:

If your cast iron pan is not cracked into pieces it is a good cast iron pan.
Literally the first time I used it :saddowns: :

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

See, that is clearly not a good cast iron pan.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Eh, you could grind that crack out, braze it up with brass rod, and it would probably be fine. Or not, but that would be a good excuse to buy more cast iron.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Pubic Lair posted:

I got impatient and decided to use that Lodge Dutch Oven after only 2 coats of seasoning.

Paired with a 2 sided lodge griddle I thrifted for $5 and a $20 Victoria Press from amazon.

Flour and Corn because my wife is a demanding jerk.

and some salsa from the salsa thread

This is super awesome. You did a great job seasoning it.

How did the lovely ground beef tacos turn out though? Do you feel like they aided the seasoning?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Paper With Lines posted:

This is super awesome. You did a great job seasoning it.

How did the lovely ground beef tacos turn out though? Do you feel like they aided the seasoning?

The real trick is to mix flax oil and shortening and go gently caress yourself.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Your seasoning looks great and the transition from a pot you found to something usable owns.

TBH, I didn't mean anything by the ground beef slight.

I apologize for that.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Apology accepted, I figured I was being trolled.

The beef fat certainly didn't hurt the seasoning. I also made a pot roast, which had wine and vinegar in the recipe, which is generally a bad idea with fresh seasoning and it held up perfectly.

In other cast iron news, I was watching the Bob's Burgers Christmas episode and decided I would try a dutch baby.

How have I never tried making these before? Stupid easy to make and tastes very similar to french toast.

I used the recipe from here
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/GermanPancake.htm

The pictured batch was the small recipe in an 11" pan which is why it rose in the middle like MT. Doom. I then made the large batch in the same pan and it rose a bit too much and actually started to fall out of the pan. Next time I will try the middle size recipe.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

rndmnmbr posted:

Eh, you could grind that crack out, braze it up with brass rod, and it would probably be fine.

It also makes pans look awesome.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I would like to more about the froggy hob cover.
That Dutch oven and lid was a great find.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 29, 2016

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

I would like to more about the froggy hob cover.
That Dutch oven and lid was a great find.

It's a Boston Warehouse Spoon rest. It's dated 2004 so I'm pretty sure it long discontinued but you might find one on ebay.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Went camping, cooked food in a dutch oven over wood coals. Delicious

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Fishing trip coming up... Seemed like the perfect time to order a 5qt dutch oven. :toot:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I finished my first ever sous vide steak in my literally smoking hot Lodge today. It got an amazing sear by adding some smoked salt butter to the pan but holy moly that was a smokey affair. Good thing I had the window wide open. A+ will sear again

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Just got a brand-new cast iron skillet as a moving gift, what's the goon-approved method for preparing it?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fry some bacon in that sumbitch.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Fry some bacon in that sumbitch.

It is the only way.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

It's heresy but modern pig fat is not the same as pigs raised 50 years ago. Best to get a good seasoning with Flax oil (or in a pinch sunflower) right off the bat and then just use it to cook whatever you want. Link has instructions. I do suggest frying bacon in your pan to eat it but that's just common sense.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5820-the-ultimate-way-to-season-cast-iron

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 20, 2016

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Thanks for the tips! Upon closer inspection, the label on the pan days it's already been seasoned - should I just season it anyways? Strip the old seasoning away then resets on it? Actually trust the factory-made seasoning?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Thanks for the tips! Upon closer inspection, the label on the pan days it's already been seasoned - should I just season it anyways? Strip the old seasoning away then resets on it? Actually trust the factory-made seasoning?

They season it with a lovely oil so it doesn't rust during shipping. You can use it as is but poo poo will stick like crazy. You can add seasoning overtop which I have done to some pans. Or you can put it in your oven on a cleaning cycle(make sure you take out the racks and put it on the bottom of the oven) to strip the factory seasoning and then start from scratch with the method in the article. The last option will probably make the best seasoning but it's a bit of a time investment. If you want just try adding a few layers of seasoning over the factory and see if it sticks to the pan and food doesn't stick terribly. If it comes out crummy you can always put it through a cleaning cycle and start from scratch.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My oven does not have a cleaning cycle, what's the best way to strip a pan without it? It goes up to 250C, about 480F, is that hot enough?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

spankmeister posted:

My oven does not have a cleaning cycle, what's the best way to strip a pan without it? It goes up to 250C, about 480F, is that hot enough?

Using a self cleaning oven is the easiest, maybe you could see if a friend does? You could also use oven cleaner spray and put it in a plastic bag for a few hours. You could also fire it by putting it in the coals of a campfire or in a BBQ grill.

Also I find putting seasoning works best around 550F when using Flax so you may have issues at 480F. I used 500F and the seasoning never set. Not sure if more time would help or not.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pubic Lair posted:

Using a self cleaning oven is the easiest, maybe you could see if a friend does? You could also use oven cleaner spray and put it in a plastic bag for a few hours. You could also fire it by putting it in the coals of a campfire or in a BBQ grill.
u

Also I find putting seasoning works best around 550F when using Flax so you may have issues at 480F. I used 500F and the seasoning never set. Not sure if more time would help or not.

Hmm this may explain why I'm having issues getting a good seasoning in the first place...

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
The basic theory of seasoning cast iron is that you want to break down oil, which restructures polymers and science happens and you get a shiny black coating that's not actually still oil. It's the same stuff that's on the inside of your oven if you're a slob like me and rarely clean the inside of your oven.

Flaxseed oil works best because of reasons. That link covers the method that I use to season all of my cast iron. It works extremely well and gives an ultra-hard, very nonstick coating. It does take the better part of a day because you have to apply at least six layers, but the results are head and shoulders better than haphazard seasoning unless you're willing to wait years for that perfect result.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can also get some shortening, a paper towel and season it on the stovepipe.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

My dad's been helping a friend going through an estate, and I helped out move a couple things and got this:

Looks to be pretty great condition from what I can tell, but gonna strip and reseason it anyways. Oven cleaner in a bag is the easiest good way to go, right?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Lhet posted:

My dad's been helping a friend going through an estate, and I helped out move a couple things and got this:

Looks to be pretty great condition from what I can tell, but gonna strip and reseason it anyways. Oven cleaner in a bag is the easiest good way to go, right?

Whoops, I read your post wrong. Yes, oven cleaner in a bag is the easiest way to strip it in my opinion. Than follow the directions in that article to re-season.

Here is a really good articles from Good Eats on restoring a pan: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/how-to-restore-vintage-cast-iron-cookware.html

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 20, 2016

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I really think the cleaning cycle is the best way to strip seasoning and light rust but oven cleaner does work.

Oven cleaning cycle method is simply putting the pan in for a cleaning cycle. When it cools take it out and most everything will just fall off. Heavy or deep rust might still take some scrubbing with a wire brush or a wire wheel in your drill. I then wipe with some vinegar to get any loose rust 100% off and then rinse and heat on the stove top to dry and start re seasoning.

The oven cleaner requires gloves, scrubbing and time. Glove up, Spray pan, place in bag. After a few hours gloveup and scrub/scrape poo poo off. If needed respray/bag again. When stripped scrub with wirebrush/wheel and wipe with vinegar to get rust off. Then rinse and dry on stovetop and reseason.

I've probably done 20 pans I've stopped using oven cleaner because it's smelly, nasty to work with and takes way more effort. The only reason to not use the cleaning cycle is if your oven doesn't have one or It's a super rare heirloom piece as supposedly Ovens can crack some pieces. I've never seen it but it supposedly could happen. Also most people never use their cleaning cycle so i always mention it, Make sure you take out your oven racks and put your pan on the bottom of the oven. 99% of ovens don't have racks that can be run through a cleaning cycle without discoloring or warping especially with a cast iron pan on them.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

What does an oven cleaning cycle actually do?

I've seen many ovens, and never seen a self clean cycle.

Maybe they're banned in Europe. That does it, #brexit.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Horse Clocks posted:

In an electric oven it runs the heating element at a dead short for several hours, reaching a couple thousand degrees inside and turning most any food residue into ash.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Horse Clocks posted:

I had never heard of this and it seems it only recently is a thing that ovens do cleaning cycles in Germany. There seems to be a big fuss about the doors having to self lock until temperatures are safe again, so maybe that's the reason most run of the mill ovens do not have it over here.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

dis astranagant posted:

In an electric oven it runs the heating element at a dead short for several hours, reaching a couple thousand degrees inside and turning most any food residue into ash.

If the inside of the oven actually reached "a couple thousand degrees," the oven itself would be a pool of liquid metal on the kitchen floor.

I think my (electric) oven gets to eight or nine-hundred degrees Fahrenheit during a clean cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I think that crazy guy that makes pizzas using the cleaning cycle measured some ovens at 700?