Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

anime was right posted:

depending on where you live it can be a few grand a month if you're the best in your local scene which is perfectly fine supplementary income considering it mostly happens on nights/weekends. top players can treat it as a full time job that pays OK, but thats maybe a dozen people in the US at most. you have to win majors for that to be a factor.

This is a bit of an exaggeration. Even if you could win WNF 4x a month you would be taking in about 1600 max(as attendance has dropped from the first month), and we have seen Chris T and Snake Eyez struggle to win every week when they have been on fire. This is the biggest local in the world by all measures I have seen, nothing else is even regularly getting half the attendance? Could be wrong there.

Yeah the reality is most guys make nothing. Even the ones you recognize as top players who regularly get top 3 probably are breaking even with gas/food money at the events. An occasional windfall from a really big tournament is the only way for a player with a non-corporate sponsor to get paid something notable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
lol just lol lmao rofl if you're going to a tournament hoping to break even or make a profit

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

my buddy won mystery game tournament at whatever tourny runs that the other year and got like a full week's wage out of it

don't play popular games, fleece people in old ones.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's more than worth it in the innumerable perks that come with being a celebrity FGC player.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

NecroMonster posted:

oh man c'mon keep going i want this to get fun, c'mon capcom japan, now you throw a jab at capcom usa and capcom usa you throw that pocket full of sand in capcom japans face

:neckbeard:

AnonSpore posted:

Yeah Sugiyama outright states that it was part of the design, it's great

:neckbeard: :toot:

E:
I thought today when i saw 56 posts that maybe they somehow came out with the patch for June early aka (not june 31st)
Nope lol but this was a much better gift.

Microwaves Mom fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 21, 2016

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Baal posted:

But god if they did then esports might be worth it

you know as well as i do they wouldnt let ogawa real talk about sweet rear end 2d boobs if there was real money on the line

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

This is a bit of an exaggeration. Even if you could win WNF 4x a month you would be taking in about 1600 max(as attendance has dropped from the first month), and we have seen Chris T and Snake Eyez struggle to win every week when they have been on fire. This is the biggest local in the world by all measures I have seen, nothing else is even regularly getting half the attendance? Could be wrong there.

Yeah the reality is most guys make nothing. Even the ones you recognize as top players who regularly get top 3 probably are breaking even with gas/food money at the events. An occasional windfall from a really big tournament is the only way for a player with a non-corporate sponsor to get paid something notable.

this isnt just factoring in whatever you make on weeklies but rather regionals, biweeklies, etc on top of that. i am going by an actual income i saw someone make, but its wholly inconsistent and you need to show up to more than 4 tournies a month yeah. like at one point this was: break tournies, heading up to CT, nyc, and sometimes all the way down to places like md and poo poo and its still a gamble. also this was probably at a peak of interest so that kind of money is even harder to attain now imo

anime was right fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 21, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

dangerdoom volvo posted:

you know as well as i do they wouldnt let ogawa real talk about sweet rear end 2d boobs if there was real money on the line

But what if they did

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

"Chie is cute"

"silence him!"

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
FGC sponsors don't pay jack poo poo, the good ones cover travel costs, entry and hotel fees, and maybe some extra cash to spend. Even Justin Wong works regular hours as a QA Testing "Engineer" at Nvidia, which is honestly a pretty great deal since he managed to turn his FGC celebrity status into a real job despite having no further education.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Yeah FGC is pretty ghetto as far as it goes with making money.

Can't all make 2.5 mil a year beating dota tournaments.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's crazy to me that people would invest in so much in a game that they don't like.

Well I guess there are incentives such as money and making a name for oneself by playing the biggest game around.

i know people just rolleyes and shrug my posts away at this point but i really just don't understand how some things so fundamentally obvious to me and many many others can be somehow lost on just so many people. they use community-sourced salesman to sell their lovely games and add monetary incentive to the mix. it cannot be stressed enough that the release of this game follows a similar pattern to the release of SFxT in how hard capcom tried to push its agenda and failed utterly. around this point in SFxTs lifespan DLC autoblocking gems were coming out and capcom was struggling to defend half the game being on-disc DLC/dlc gems/jabs and homogeneity while Seth Killians reputation took a beating. the equivalency here is capcom failing to justify 8 frames etc and poo poo gameplay, homogeneity, and releasing half a game that is scheduled to come out later on DLC while Combofiends reputation takes a beating. I hope they drag someone funnier through the mud during their next release because I really miss old Seth and I'd rather go back to not giving a gently caress about combofiend.

edit: it should be noted that they did the same thing with people to promote SF 25th anniversary edition and then CFE using Mopreme and Kamui. How many more times will people take the bait?

Zand fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 22, 2016

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Zand posted:

i know people just rolleyes and shrug my posts away at this point but i really just don't understand how some things so fundamentally obvious to me and many many others can be somehow lost on just so many people. they use community-sourced salesman to sell their lovely games and add monetary incentive to the mix. it cannot be stressed enough that the release of this game follows a similar pattern to the release of SFxT in how hard capcom tried to push its agenda and failed utterly. around this point in SFxTs lifespan DLC autoblocking gems were coming out and capcom was struggling to defend half the game being on-disc DLC/dlc gems/jabs and homogeneity while Seth Killians reputation took a beating. the equivalency here is capcom failing to justify 8 frames etc and poo poo gameplay, homogeneity, and releasing half a game that is scheduled to come out later on DLC while Combofiends reputation takes a beating. I hope they drag someone funnier through the mud during their next release because I really miss old Seth and I'd rather go back to not giving a gently caress about combofiend.

edit: it should be noted that they did the same thing with people to promote SF 25th anniversary edition and then CFE using Mopreme and Kamui. How many more times will people take the bait?

It's sad to me, as mostly an outsider and viewer, because I've always liked watching Combofiend play and thought he seemed like a cool dude so seeing him struggle with Capcom's bullshit like this kinda sucks. I was only just getting back into fighting games around the time SFxT was coming out so the whole Seth Killian saga was off my radar.

Also I'm still waiting for Capcom Japan to come around and say that Combofiend "clarifying" the 8 frames was wrong and that they don't know what Capcom US is talking about.

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Zand posted:

no one gives a gently caress about any of those people zand. stop makign it a conspiracy when these games are attempting to sell millions, of which about 1% would potentially recognize any of those people. sure the hivemind exists but I wouldn't say its just about the money; everyone knows eachother and wants to support the scene because its their major hobby and in many cases a huge part of their socialization so it matters. The reason JWong shills things is because he is just a weird psycho gamer that will play anything and can never stop gaming if you ever talked to him irl you would understand in about 5 seconds. peace!

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick
Shocking news: People whose entire lives are incredibly invested in Capcom fighting games are overly optimistic and positive about the state of things and want more people to also play Capcom fighting games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can't stop gaming either

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
http://www.capcom-unity.com/harrisony/blog/2016/06/22/new-sfv-costumes-and-stages

i literally thought kevin masters was on sale for months now

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

Shocking news: People whose entire lives are incredibly invested in Capcom fighting games are overly optimistic and positive about the state of things and want more people to also play Capcom fighting games

I want a new, good Rival Schools

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Rival Schools is such a fun concept with like infinite already thought of character templates since you can just base them all on the different clubs like they did

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

psycho gamer

ke-keske

fa fa fa fa fa
fafafafafa

better,
run, run,
run awaaaaay

AH, AH, AH, AH
(storm voice clip from mvc2)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

no one gives a gently caress about any of those people zand. stop makign it a conspiracy when these games are attempting to sell millions, of which about 1% would potentially recognize any of those people. sure the hivemind exists but I wouldn't say its just about the money; everyone knows eachother and wants to support the scene because its their major hobby and in many cases a huge part of their socialization so it matters. The reason JWong shills things is because he is just a weird psycho gamer that will play anything and can never stop gaming if you ever talked to him irl you would understand in about 5 seconds. peace!

This is an overly harsh response.

Fereydun posted:

psycho gamer

ke-keske

fa fa fa fa fa
fafafafafa

better,
run, run,
run awaaaaay

AH, AH, AH, AH
(storm voice clip from mvc2)

You're funny.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I wish more people at my fgc played gg because the only one who touches it is the aspergers kid who stops playing games when he loses. So many people there are like "yeah I like fast characters with fun combos" and I'm like "??? but you only play street fighter look at all these other games with faster gameplay and actually fun combos" and nobody ever tries them

help

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Metrohunter posted:

I wish more people at my fgc played gg because the only one who touches it is the aspergers kid who stops playing games when he loses. So many people there are like "yeah I like fast characters with fun combos" and I'm like "??? but you only play street fighter look at all these other games with faster gameplay and actually fun combos" and nobody ever tries them

help

Play gg with the weird kid and when he rq's get your loser friends waiting for sf matches to jump on.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

Real hurthling! posted:

Play gg with the weird kid and when he rq's get your loser friends waiting for sf matches to jump on.

I do this already

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I've been playing more guilty gear and friends, I am happy to report that after a couple more practice sessions I'm finally starting to get the chain combo thing and it's really fun. I still have dumb problems with combos that begin with airdashes in though, it's like going back to square one in terms of practicing but you do feel like you actually learned something every time you learn a new combo.

Elphelt is hella fun and cool and has neat guns. I even won a match against a really, really terrible player that also had no idea what they were really doing.

I guess I should probably at least play the dumb 3 fight story modes with Guile and Alex to get the fight money unlocks, I can't believe they're actually going through with locking the characters next week. I hope they somehow manage to turn this game around before it's completely dead.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

S.J. posted:

I want a new, good Rival Schools

After seeing what happened to Street Fighter, I'd rather just leave it alone.

Also...

How did Capcom make Kevin Mashers look even worse in this picture? It looks like he's in a 3DS game.

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 22, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
capcom didn't do anything, that model was outsourced like every other part of the game

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
he looks like an old actor thats really fat but plays roles where hes supposed to be in shape

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
It took me a few minutes to realize that this is supposed to be Ibuki.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Metrohunter posted:

help

I went to an offline place the other month for the first time and watched the people playing Xrd while waiting for USF4 to make some room. I'd already played reload for a while ages ago and Xrd on PC for a month or so, and the guys there were excited to see a new person showing interest. I gave their resident Faust guy a good run for his money with a 3-5 loss or something, but they were getting really loud and happy that not only was a completely new guy coming offline, but that they were playing guilty gear and seemed OK at it.

Not been for a few weeks though because I need a PS4 stick to play SFV and I don't want to be borrowing sticks all the time like I did for that set. The only other games they have that use 360 sticks are 3rd strike and an old arcade board running super turbo (which is still fun, but not fun enough for me to go there on a Saturday and pay £4 for).

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I fight Kenny Omega first in my pool at CEO this year so that's cool.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Crown Face posted:

It took me a few minutes to realize that this is supposed to be Ibuki.

maybe it looks better in motion but wow that is trash

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
For a second there I thought that was Juri.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I was like 80% sure that was Juri

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Agoat posted:

I fight Kenny Omega first in my pool at CEO this year so that's cool.

If there's anything I learned about him by watching his Excellent Adventures episodes, it's that he gets really salty really fast. So if I were you and I really wanted to win I'd try doing something really cheesy for the first Bo3 so that he goes into the second Bo3 all mad.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

AnonSpore posted:

I was like 80% sure that was Juri

same

also if you want quick fight money on your pc sfv then this'll help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG9J8eIPyyY

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Love Stole the Day posted:

If there's anything I learned about him by watching his Excellent Adventures episodes, it's that he gets really salty really fast. So if I were you and I really wanted to win I'd try doing something really cheesy for the first Bo3 so that he goes into the second Bo3 all mad.

Is he actually any good?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yo can I get a loving date when any of this is popping up and not the nondescript "June Update?" I mean it's obviously gonna be next week or else they miss this month entirely, but still could you like actually communicate that?

Also those premium costumes have been done since March, but PC players already unlocked them in the game because ofc they did.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Baal posted:

Yo can I get a loving date when any of this is popping up and not the nondescript "June Update?" I mean it's obviously gonna be next week or else they miss this month entirely, but still could you like actually communicate that?

Also those premium costumes have been done since March, but PC players already unlocked them in the game because ofc they did.

they probably dont know when capcom japan is going to do a push

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'll give them a push, off of a cliff.