Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

I pass this on my way home. It's so terrible, it may just come around to being awesome.

That's definitely awesome. I still want a van with a wizard painted on the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Maker Of Shoes posted:

That's what I'm saying. I'm looking at the dashboard indicator all the time when shifting auto's because other than a stint in the 80's and 90's when they were all "slam up for PARK" everyone is doing something different.

Maybe its because I drive a lot of different cars due to work travel but when presented with buttons, knobs, springloaded shifters, etc why are you not looking at the indicator that's been there since forever?

Because some cars don't have it? Case in point I drive an 03 Malibu, it's automatic but there's no gear indicator on any of the gauges. I don't mind though because older stick automatics like mine make it easy to shift, gears are all in the same order so it's 3 clicks down from park to drive without having to look. I can see how someone going from a semi-standard automatic shifter style to a rotating button could have trouble, and definitely see why Chrysler's piss-poor shifter design got recalled. Typical of Chrysler to try to copy something that works, then turn around and gently caress it up trying to make it "better".

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Because some cars don't have it? Case in point I drive an 03 Malibu, it's automatic but there's no gear indicator on any of the gauges. I don't mind though because older stick automatics like mine make it easy to shift, gears are all in the same order so it's 3 clicks down from park to drive without having to look. I can see how someone going from a semi-standard automatic shifter style to a rotating button could have trouble, and definitely see why Chrysler's piss-poor shifter design got recalled. Typical of Chrysler to try to copy something that works, then turn around and gently caress it up trying to make it "better".

Yikes. Glad they put them back in 04.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

$20,000 for a mobile party machine that can be heard from hundreds of yards away, over the noise of a professional baseball game? Sounds like a bargain, provided that you have money to pay the impound lot every time you turn it on

http://www.vice.com/read/american-hero-arrested-for-having-80-speakers-in-his-van-vgtrn?utm_source=vicefbus

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

AFewBricksShy posted:

I pass this on my way home. It's so terrible, it may just come around to being awesome.

lmao is that a tmic

wrong thread

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Door Frame posted:

$20,000 for a mobile party machine that can be heard from hundreds of yards away, over the noise of a professional baseball game? Sounds like a bargain, provided that you have money to pay the impound lot every time you turn it on

http://www.vice.com/read/american-hero-arrested-for-having-80-speakers-in-his-van-vgtrn?utm_source=vicefbus

That's definitely not terrible. I love the setup, the way the barn doors have been reinforced to take the extra weight of the speakers

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If raw volume was the goal, wouldn't a couple extremely large speakers and an even larger amp produce a better result?

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

xzzy posted:

If raw volume was the goal, wouldn't a couple extremely large speakers and an even larger amp produce a better result?

I think it's logarithmic. Ten times the wattage to double SPL.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

th vwls hv scpd posted:

I think it's logarithmic. Ten times the wattage to double SPL.

For a given driver, correct. Driver sensitivity makes a big difference when you want to go really really loud.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

xzzy posted:

Large speaker cones are very difficult to make so they're structurally solid, professional PA kit at the top end runs 21" woofers but the vast majority is 15"/18" this is a trade off between cone area (the bit that makes the noise) and the ability for that cone to accurately reproduce whatever's being fed through it. If your 21"+ cone is floppy poo poo, you're not going to get any SPL as it'll simply be unable to move air properly. Making a cone that's big and stiff enough not to distort whilst it's pushing lots of air = $$$$ at which point many smaller drivers makes a lot more sense.

Theoretically, each driver you add to the collection puts another +3db on the score card and when +10db is perceived as twice as loud for a given voltage, it's easy to see why loading up on relatively cheap drivers is a smarter way of doing it.

Big PA speakers are very rarely single driver units these days, some setups run 4 drivers or more in a single sub box as it's a better way of doing things than loading it with a single driver of a larger size.

The Danley Matterhorn sub was built inside of a shipping container and had to hit a minumum of 94db at 250m, it uses a whole array of 15" drivers to get the output required.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Dieselgate 2: dies harder
Apparently most EU market diesel engines emit way more pollutants when it's "cold" in order to reduce engine wear/increase mpgs. And it's supposedly completely within the letter of the rules, too. Is there anything diesels are still appropriate for, besides moving tractors around fields? I don't think so.
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36589106

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Apparently most EU market diesel engines emit way more pollutants when it's "cold" in order to reduce engine wear/increase mpgs. And it's supposedly completely within the letter of the rules, too. Is there anything diesels are still appropriate for, besides moving tractors around fields? I don't think so.

They're appropriate when petrol costs $1.80/L and diesel costs 99c/L and my gigantic diesel van does 8.5L/100km. So for moving things around not-america.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mobby_6kl posted:

Gas cars do this too.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The thing is in the UK once everyone started getting diesels the duty on diesel was raised to match petrol and the cost saving were more or removed and now we are finding out that the Eco benefits were bullshit as well. If that was not be enough with things like ERG valves require the engine to get up to temp so if you do lots of small trips the engine goes wrong in expensive ways.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Slavvy posted:

They're appropriate when petrol costs $1.80/L and diesel costs 99c/L and my gigantic diesel van does 8.5L/100km. So for moving things around not-america.

You should point out that that isn't quite the whole story as diesels in NZ need to pay additional road user charges that are built into the petrol fuel cost already.

It still makes sense for your big van, but I have no idea why anyone would buy a small diesel car these days.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dissss posted:

You should point out that that isn't quite the whole story as diesels in NZ need to pay additional road user charges that are built into the petrol fuel cost already.

It still makes sense for your big van, but I have no idea why anyone would buy a small diesel car these days.

Better fuel economy and a reputation for longevity. Both of which have been surrendered to emissions standards

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

Better fuel economy and a reputation for longevity. Both of which have been surrendered to emissions standards

I don't think the longevity thing really ever applied to small cars anyway - if anything they've always been more problematic and complicated than their petrol versions (although modern turbocharged petrols are certainly catching up fast)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dissss posted:

Yeah, gently caress the RUC et al but even with that extra $70/1000km it still works out cheaper on a per-km basis than either of my cars. Small diesel cars are great if they're from the 90's, have no turbo and no common rail. I've known dozens of small toyotas/nissans etc with upwards of 400,000km on the clock, still running like champs. They absolutely sip fuel and last forever. Plus they have speedos you can disconnect/wind back really easily :ssh:

Regardless RUC isn't a technical issue.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
My '89 three quarter ton Dodge gets 25 mpg empty, 23 mpg with 3 tons in the bed, and 20 mpg pulling a 15k+ trailer.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Small diesel cars are great if they're from the 90's, have no turbo and no common rail. I've known dozens of small toyotas/nissans etc with upwards of 400,000km on the clock, still running like champs.

Yes but those ones are irredeemably awful to drive compared to the petrol versions which will still probably do 400k without issues (provided they don't rust away to nothing as normal)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Yerok posted:

My '89 three quarter ton Dodge gets 25 mpg empty, 23 mpg with 3 tons in the bed, and 20 mpg pulling a 15k+ trailer.

Can you be more specific of what kind of truck/engine do you have? Those are really good numbers

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

If it's the original engine, Yerok's truck should have the Cummins 12 valve 5.9L I6 turbo (also known as the 6BT). With those numbers, probably a manual transmission and pretty tall gearing.

The MPG Yerok is claiming is on the higher end, but not at all unheard of on that generation. Those trucks don't weigh poo poo compared to more modern 3/4 ton trucks; a standard cab version is well under 6000 pounds with a full tank.

e: here's a little more info on the engine.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 23, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You can run a diesel on biodiesel and get far better economy than the petrol version. Like 50 vs 30mpg.

Of course biodiesel brings it's own ecological challenges but it's still less harm than fossil fuel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cakefool posted:

You can run a diesel on biodiesel and get far better economy than the petrol version. Like 50 vs 30mpg.

Of course biodiesel brings it's own ecological challenges but it's still less harm than fossil fuel.

Ugh. My father ran a diesel Silverado on veggie oil for a few years and it was a goddamned nightmare. He had a half dozen plastic drums in the garage full of used oil in various states of readiness. Put me off eating fried food for a long time.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

While i think the bolt to hub pivot mechanism is pretty cool, the whole safety stick thing still seems like a bad idea.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What kind of suspension set up is that in the front?

edit: The front not the rear (left side of pic), sorry.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rhyno posted:

Ugh. My father ran a diesel Silverado on veggie oil for a few years and it was a goddamned nightmare. He had a half dozen plastic drums in the garage full of used oil in various states of readiness. Put me off eating fried food for a long time.

I just bought mine for half the price of regular from a guy with an ibc and a pump. I never stored any.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Put me off eating fried food for a long time.

Explain how this is a bad thing.

I mean sure, fried food tastes good, but I think all goons could benefit from eating less of it. :v:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwZwSIrMLmk

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Looks like it wasn't their first accident of the day.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

I could not watch that straight through, absolutely had to skip around

Christ almighty that looks like the face of mental illness

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I've broken my car, I know what'll help, smashing it into the side of my garage!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I'm guessing its a rich, drunk mainland Chinese who was involved in a hit and run.

Can anyone translate what the lady is saying?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

If it's the original engine, Yerok's truck should have the Cummins 12 valve 5.9L I6 turbo (also known as the 6BT). With those numbers, probably a manual transmission and pretty tall gearing.

The MPG Yerok is claiming is on the higher end, but not at all unheard of on that generation. Those trucks don't weigh poo poo compared to more modern 3/4 ton trucks; a standard cab version is well under 6000 pounds with a full tank.

e: here's a little more info on the engine.

Yeah, a healthy 6BT with a VE pump. It's a 2WD single axle, single cab so it scales at like 5300 pounds with a full tank and two passengers. Previous owner spent a bunch of money on some injectors, different exhaust housing, and pump tuning so it's hilariously fun to drive and pulls really well. When I picked it up it came with a Dana 70 built by some fleet service company with a 4.10 ring and pinion and some unknown posi carrier and it would spin the tires in every gear. I went back to stock gearing and now it's perfect. It's pretty much just an old truck that'll happily do interstate driving (other than horrible cabin noise). Also someone painted it metal flaked poo poo brown at some point. :q:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
:wtf:

What the hell were they even trying to accomplish? Please tell me this person has been forced into Canada's Worst Driver.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

88h88 posted:

I've broken my car, I know what'll help, smashing it into the side of my garage!

I'd love to know more.

Not least why they were trying to park it in the single entrance, when the double doors were there.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

thechalkoutline posted:

I could not watch that straight through, absolutely had to skip around

Christ almighty that looks like the face of mental illness

Or alcoholism.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
"I have drunkenly engaged in a hit and run, I shall now attempt to evade prosecution by drunkenly hiding my car somewhere it doesn't fit"

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

InitialDave posted:

"I have drunkenly engaged in a hit and run, I shall now attempt to evade prosecution by drunkenly hiding my car somewhere it doesn't fit"

I'm 100% sure it's this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

CharlesM posted:

What kind of suspension set up is that in the front?

edit: The front not the rear (left side of pic), sorry.

Probably some sort of fancy control arm and lateral link type deal.