Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Started to play yesterday, and apparently I'm very bad at it. 1-4 as survivors and 0-1 as the killer. I can blame Hero syndrome on two of those loses, but still. Game is fun, though.

How do the items work? Do I lose them if I carry them to a single game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Items are lost if you die with them or you use them up in that game. Escaping with your item saves it and restores its uses to full.

Add-ons are apparently lost every time no matter what, killer or survivor. Offerings are likewise expended on use. Perks are permanent unless you do a level 50 reset I guess.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Drakenel posted:

Dear survivors: If someone fucks up a skill check (Me), do not stick around the generator and keep repairing it.

I get that the game isn't well documented, but sheesh.

You know what? I've actually started hanging around them now, especially if they're close to being done. Everyone expects the survivors to run screaming from the fuckup instead of staying there, so they'll usually run real wide to try and cut off an escape or to the next closest generator.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I'm coming around to the Hillbilly. On the Trapper, I normally have max deviousness, but low brutality and average hunting. With the Hillbilly, I'm ending rounds with high scores across the board. He's the first killer I've had more than 20K bloodpoints with. It feels like I don't have to game the system either. I spend the round chainsaw sprinting between generators and waiting for someone to get spooked into leaving a trail. You know, like a real life chainsaw maniac.

Demiurge4 posted:

Chainsaw killer could also be maybe just a little bit more controllable and perhaps you should start the game with a good baseline of perks and not have to wait until level loving 15 for the next slot when the last two are at 5 level increments.

There's an addon that improves his steering. I haven't tried stacking them so I'm not sure how controllable you can make him though. Even so, straight line charges are still useful. It seems like most of the maps have one or two lanes for him.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 21, 2016

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!
There isn't much better of a feeling then being The Hillbilly and having the last two survivors unlocking both gates at other ends of the map and managing to chainsaw rush them both. Got one and then made a dash to about midway through the map and started a chainsaw run. Managed to dodge things all the way up to the exit gate and downed them right at the switch :getin:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I just can't get the hang of Hillbilly. His charges are so hard to control and take such a windup that I generally end up seriously menacing the wall six feet behind where the survivor turned a corner.

Teach me, o goons

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

:allears: This is beautiful.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Because I smack a pubbie. She climbs through the window and heals back to full health before I can wipe off my blade and crawl through after her. She can do this an infinite number of times, as long as she doesn't leave her window.

https://twitter.com/AdmiralBahroo/status/744731768582877185

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 21, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Those replies. "It isn't broken because you lose utility!" Yeah, I think it's a small price to pay for invulnerability

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

H2SO4 posted:

You know what? I've actually started hanging around them now, especially if they're close to being done. Everyone expects the survivors to run screaming from the fuckup instead of staying there, so they'll usually run real wide to try and cut off an escape or to the next closest generator.

Yeah, I mean, unless I'm injured, I'll just stick around on the generator and continue to repair it even after a skill check failure. More often than not the killer is distracted with something else or trying to anticipate our path by assuming we all just scattered and I'm usually able to fix it before he comes snooping around.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Yeah, I mean, unless I'm injured, I'll just stick around on the generator and continue to repair it even after a skill check failure. More often than not the killer is distracted with something else or trying to anticipate our path by assuming we all just scattered and I'm usually able to fix it before he comes snooping around.

Also if it is the beginning of the match and you are double teaming a generator it is probably worth sticking it out to finish on most maps, because the killer had seven gens to check and probably wasn't nearby.

Unless the map is Shelter Woods. Do Not gently caress Around In Shelter Woods. You cannot run, you can only hide, and you can't even hide very well. I am rank 3 and probably have a sub 25% escape rate on that map.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

There is a house on MacMillan Estate with a second floor and two vaultable windows on the bottom floor. This level almost made me ragequit as a killer. A survivor is able to run back and forth between the two windows and vault over them. You can either follow them (and lose them) or run around to the backside of the house and go through the door (and lose them). A rank 1 survivor played games with me there for a while. The only way I could catch him was to go to the second floor and jump down. But a survivor can see you do this and be halfway through the vault animation by the time you hit the ground. It took a lot of practice and a pixel perfect hit to finally get him. I didn't even care that the last survivor made it out and spammed my little bell while he was on his hook.

Thank you for your time.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Phrasing posted:

There is a house on MacMillan Estate with a second floor and two vaultable windows on the bottom floor. This level almost made me ragequit as a killer. A survivor is able to run back and forth between the two windows and vault over them. You can either follow them (and lose them) or run around to the backside of the house and go through the door (and lose them). A rank 1 survivor played games with me there for a while. The only way I could catch him was to go to the second floor and jump down. But a survivor can see you do this and be halfway through the vault animation by the time you hit the ground. It took a lot of practice and a pixel perfect hit to finally get him. I didn't even care that the last survivor made it out and spammed my little bell while he was on his hook.

Thank you for your time.

that house is one of many reasons trapper is the best killer

I really hope they fix things before this game dies I have been enjoying it a lot

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I just can't get the hang of Hillbilly. His charges are so hard to control and take such a windup that I generally end up seriously menacing the wall six feet behind where the survivor turned a corner.

Teach me, o goons

Once you're in a chase typically it's bad to use it. Use it to get between generators fast and try to predict survivor movement. Despite the Wraith being the killer with a cloak the Hillbilly is really more the ambush killer. Use the chainsaw to move around the map fast bouncing between generators and try to go where you think you yourself as a survivor would be. Revving up in a chase you'll miss unless the survivor is garbage.

As for window vaulting the best suggestion I've heard is that foing vaulting over and over again in a short time frame tires the survivor out to the point where the 3rd or 4th vault basically results in them slowly crawling over the frame and setting themselves up to be picked up if they abuse it in front of the killer

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Well, I'm getting better, going from 25% escapes yesterday to 50% or so (stopping being a hero helps). Even raided the killer's shack a couple of times. A couple of questions:

- How do you g about finding generators? he tutorial "look fr blinking lights" doesn't help
- What do I need to do to get bold points? The simplest way I've found is to escape the killer, but that seems kinda dangerous.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Boldness points all revolve around trolling the killer, escaping is honestly the most safe thing you do there. The main thing you can do that doesn't involve getting close to a weapon-wielding meat mountain is to sabotage hooks, but you'll need a toolbox or a high level Jake perk for that.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I didn't want to use the Honing Stones on my traps as trapper because I think one hit downs are unfun but getting xyberfucked by people who get out of my traps in 5 seconds then heal up to full in another 10 with self care isn't very fun either. :shrug:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Fat Samurai posted:

Well, I'm getting better, going from 25% escapes yesterday to 50% or so (stopping being a hero helps). Even raided the killer's shack a couple of times. A couple of questions:

- How do you g about finding generators? he tutorial "look fr blinking lights" doesn't help
- What do I need to do to get bold points? The simplest way I've found is to escape the killer, but that seems kinda dangerous.

1) Look up. Generators have lamp poles that are tall enough to be seen above most cover/walls/cornfields. They'll blink occasionally. There are also set pieces that are guaranteed to have generators (the combines littered in the cornfield, the half-built foundation in the estate, inside the ironworks) or have a solid chance to have a generator (the shack will have a generator in it sometimes)

2) The safest way is to bring a toolbox (preferably with an add-on for sabotage efficiency and/or charges, so you can get more than 1) and sabotage hooks for 1k + skill checks points per. You can also play Jake if you want a playstyle where you ghost around the map and don't encounter the killer much but still want to make your 10k for pips, by using Saboteur. That said messing with the killer gets you a ridiculous amount of points; stunning him with a pallet and getting away will get you 1100 points or so in ten seconds if you can manage not to die. Also, don't forget to disarm the Trapper's traps when you can; not only are you saving yourself or a teammate from stumbling into them that gets you a small chunk of Boldness points as well.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

UberJew posted:

1) Look up. Generators have lamp poles that are tall enough to be seen above most cover/walls/cornfields. They'll blink occasionally. There are also set pieces that are guaranteed to have generators (the combines littered in the cornfield, the half-built foundation in the estate, inside the ironworks) or have a solid chance to have a generator (the shack will have a generator in it sometimes)

2) The safest way is to bring a toolbox (preferably with an add-on for sabotage efficiency and/or charges, so you can get more than 1) and sabotage hooks for 1k + skill checks points per. You can also play Jake if you want a playstyle where you ghost around the map and don't encounter the killer much but still want to make your 10k for pips, by using Saboteur. That said messing with the killer gets you a ridiculous amount of points; stunning him with a pallet and getting away will get you 1100 points or so in ten seconds if you can manage not to die. Also, don't forget to disarm the Trapper's traps when you can; not only are you saving yourself or a teammate from stumbling into them that gets you a small chunk of Boldness points as well.

Tips for killers. The lights blink like the cylinders move. If one is being worked on, it will blink more/faster.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Just played a decent round as trapper against a rank 2 and rank 5 or something like that. Somebody was going about destroying hooks but I managed to get 2 pretty early on and the others were being super sneaky about the whole thing. I managed to catch one who was crouching in the corner like he was so loving smart and chased him down, but had to carry him into the basement from a while away. He just about broke free in the house, ran outside and straight into a trap I left in the grass around the house because I'm pro and trapping perimeters is always the best way to get poo poo done. I grabbed him and hung him in the basement, but was followed by his friend who tried to save him while he was being hooked. He timed it badly though, and I snagged him as he tried and hung him next to his friend. Who in this time had managed to wiggle off, so I turned and smacked them back up there.

In all a good match and I wish I had recorded that poo poo.

Of course I followed it up with just straight up getting murdered first thing next round.

Is anybody else getting ragequitting killers now, or has that always been a thing? It seems if it doesn't go their way at the start they just peace out and leave us to escape. Highly loving annoying.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Is anybody else getting ragequitting killers now, or has that always been a thing? It seems if it doesn't go their way at the start they just peace out and leave us to escape. Highly loving annoying.

Always been a thing, gets worse lower your rank. I had 14 killers dodge me in lobby and 4 killers ragequit (2 early in the game when they didn't catch anybody within the first minute or so, 1 when i escaped to the abattoir and he wasn't going to catch me at the juke windows and 1 as soon as we opened escape) last night while I was going from rank 6 to 3.

Of course, I also saw six survivors d/c after getting caught to preserve their rank like cowards in the same time, so it is hardly a killer exclusive form of bullshit!

Obsessing with rank is best avoided, I want to get to rank 1 because I've been working at it for my own satisfaction but in a very real way having lower rank makes the game play worse, because your teammates will d/c off a hook rather than buying time, your lobby times get longer as people reasonably don't want to deal with a level 40 rank 3's bullshit and they get more likely to rq out. I really don't understand why anyone would cheat for it.

I've gotten like two really amazing games against Rank 1 killers with a competent team out of it, but both of those happened back when I was around 10-14

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I can't help but think this would be vastly better playing with goons, if that's possible. We don't have a steam group or anything? I kinda troll around mumble, but that's only so much for efficiency.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 minutes!
What's the name of that map with the big industrial building with steel ladders and gangways and poo poo? gently caress that map. There's a window right by the generator inside the building and there is literally no way to catch someone trying to fix the generator. You crawl through the window and he runs around the building and jumps through the window again, repeat. If he doesn't feel like jumping through the window there's a long mess of pallets to run around right next to it, and then jump through the window.

I'm loving done with this game for a while. It shouldn't be possible a survivor to endlessly juke around the same loop forever with no hope of catching him.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Demiurge4 posted:

What's the name of that map with the big industrial building with steel ladders and gangways and poo poo? gently caress that map. There's a window right by the generator inside the building and there is literally no way to catch someone trying to fix the generator. You crawl through the window and he runs around the building and jumps through the window again, repeat. If he doesn't feel like jumping through the window there's a long mess of pallets to run around right next to it, and then jump through the window.

I'm loving done with this game for a while. It shouldn't be possible a survivor to endlessly juke around the same loop forever with no hope of catching him.

Ironworks, and there are three windows next to each other upstairs that the survivor can also use to infinitely juke if you happen to only put a trap on the ground floor ledge. It Is A Bad Set Piece

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Drakenel posted:

I can't help but think this would be vastly better playing with goons, if that's possible. We don't have a steam group or anything? I kinda troll around mumble, but that's only so much for efficiency.

I made one, but since private games don't do anything with rank or blood points there's been almost no response. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GoonByDaylight

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Chainsaw is kind of weird, sometimes you can't steer it to save your life, sometimes it veers wildly around. Like most things in video games it always picks the worst one available.

The turn at the end is great though. Charge into the exit area from downtown and whip around to pop somebody standing behind the bricks. Shouldn't have tried to BM me buddy.

Edit: Oops there was another page. Ironworks of Despair is the worst map in the game. Suffocation Pit is pretty bad as well, the one with the long building that starts the mine. It's pretty easy to trap that one though and I get lots of kills on people trying to clown me. Azarov's Resting place the actual building is terrible but the rest of the map is iffy. It's got two giant lanes for chainsaw to zoom up and down so you can cover the map really easy, I usually wipe teams on Azarov's Resting Place.

Good maps are Rotten Fields, no good jukespots outside of the barricades and the fields are tense and scary as hell. Rancid Abattoir isn't too bad either. The Farmhouse is a great setpiece, probably a bit of a deathtrap for survivors cause there's no reliable juke loops (I kill everybody who tries the window on the balcony) but you can't beat getting chased around a decrepit farmhouse by a chainsaw maniac.

Overall I'd say Autohaven Wreckers favors the survivors because of the sheer amount of pallets and barricades. MacMillan Estate slightly favors killer outside of the Ironworks, and Coldwind Farms can go either way depending on how comfortable you are with the cornfields.

I might keep playing and just stick with survivor until things improve. Survivor's a lot of fun and for some reason I don't care about rank with survivor. It's also fun to play level 1 with nothing and survive over level 30 dudes.

Mister Bup fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 21, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I really hope that the debs are "working on" premades for matches until the game dies. I already have issues as the killer, I don't need Rainbow Six juking on me and activating the generators all simultaneously

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
How viable a tactic is just strolling in the cornfield? It seems that so long as you crouch when things look hairy it's actually pretty safe to stay there, provided you're not in the pant zone

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Cornfield jukes are best jukes. Just stunned a wraith on a pallet (Didn't fish for it!) and lost him almost immediately in the cornfield for a hatch win.

The rows of corn themselves are basically zero visibility but the lanes between them are wide-open. It's tense as hell and great mind games to try to keep a row between you and the killer when you don't actually know where he is but the music is telling you he's right on top of you.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Theoretically the corn rustling should be a giveaway but the killer can't see over the tops of the corn so unless you are right next to him you are more or less golden

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Also chasing with the hillbilly works fine, you just need to be good at pre-revving it. You can keep it at 99% and as soon as he enters a spot with no cover it's time to zoom. Pre-revving slows you down but I've gotten tons of kills on people jumping through windows, it works like hitting them as they vault but it's an insta-down.

Doing that against jukeloopers is a guaranteed linkdrop though, so beware.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Fingerless Gloves posted:

How viable a tactic is just strolling in the cornfield? It seems that so long as you crouch when things look hairy it's actually pretty safe to stay there, provided you're not in the pant zone

Fantastically viable, as long as I'm not wounded I spend most of the time on the farm ghosting around the corn. Doesn't work very well when you're screaming out your position when they get anywhere nearby though, so I'll bail for proper juke points once I get hit

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I keep seeing killers with Distressing. Is it a good perk or are they just bad? I mean the bonus is nice but it's not very big. I'm just not sure right now if the terror increase is a problem or actually a good thing since it makes it harder to gauge where the killer is.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Mister Bup posted:

I keep seeing killers with Distressing. Is it a good perk or are they just bad? I mean the bonus is nice but it's not very big. I'm just not sure right now if the terror increase is a problem or actually a good thing since it makes it harder to gauge where the killer is.

I ended up taking it off for Iron Grip, but combine it with the perk that makes t he terror aura cause more skill checks and it's probably something to tool around with.

Side note, it's funny seeing a bunch of Vermintide brief regulars in the Steam group.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Iron Grip is a good example of the state of perks for killers. It's QOL. Having it doesn't make you feel stronger, I'm not like "Hell yeah iron grip," but if I take it off I immediately feel much worse.

Most of the good killer perks are stuff like that. THere's a few cool ones like insidious and snitchbirds (only good at rank 3 I think, since it counts for birds you trigger too. Below rank 3 you're constantly getting pinged by your own birds and you can't sort the real tells from the noise. I've only gotten one kill with it) but there are so many perks that feel necessary to even function. I've got Iron Grasp, Unrelenting, and Agitation. Without those I feel naked. I only get one slot for actual cool poo poo.

polka
May 10, 2007

Going up!

Roland Jones posted:

Items are lost if you die with them or you use them up in that game. Escaping with your item saves it and restores its uses to full.

Add-ons are apparently lost every time no matter what, killer or survivor. Offerings are likewise expended on use. Perks are permanent unless you do a level 50 reset I guess.

I just tested this. Add-ons are not lost if you survive with the item.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wow something just wiped all my rank and levels.

Edit: probably steam servers being down.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 22, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Grognan posted:

Wow something just wiped all my rank and levels.

Edit: probably steam servers being down.

yeah one of the funniest things to me about this game is that it literally will not work in any capacity whatsoever unless you have a constant connection to steam...and yet they still trust the client computers so much that they'll just blithely accept it if you say "i now have 900k extra blood points and i'm unlocking 18 levels at once"

i'm not as hard on this game as certain people who can't stop alternately bitching about it and playing it (Bups) but there's definitely some serious wtf in it

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

What causes that bug where you pick up a survivor and then you and the survivor are stuck standing in spot. They can't wiggle out, you can't move or drop them, neither of you are disconnecting, and the match is continuing on like normal for the other survivors. It's only happened to me when I try to wraith, and I've only seen it happen to enemy wraiths too.

I also just fell off the side of the world for the first time in a different wraith game, which was a neat experience but it's only happened to me once so I'm assuming that's possibly an every killer bug that's rare.

Edit: My last match I only got 600 sacrifice points despite successfully hooking and sacrificing 3 people who did not disconnect or rage quit on the hook. I feel like everytime I play killer I find new bugs.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 22, 2016

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015

Coolguye posted:

yeah one of the funniest things to me about this game is that it literally will not work in any capacity whatsoever unless you have a constant connection to steam...and yet they still trust the client computers so much that they'll just blithely accept it if you say "i now have 900k extra blood points and i'm unlocking 18 levels at once"

i'm not as hard on this game as certain people who can't stop alternately bitching about it and playing it (Bups) but there's definitely some serious wtf in it

I do like it a lot, which might be why the problem are so especially frustrating. If the game just sucked I'd have shrugged and refunded it.

Apparently the devs are back to work after the con circuit and ranking fixes are the first on the list. Rank is 90% of my problems right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

LibbyM posted:

What causes that bug where you pick up a survivor and then you and the survivor are stuck standing in spot. They can't wiggle out, you can't move or drop them, neither of you are disconnecting, and the match is continuing on like normal for the other survivors. It's only happened to me when I try to wraith, and I've only seen it happen to enemy wraiths too.

I also just fell off the side of the world for the first time in a different wraith game, which was a neat experience but it's only happened to me once so I'm assuming that's possibly an every killer bug that's rare.

Edit: My last match I only got 600 sacrifice points despite successfully hooking and sacrificing 3 people who did not disconnect or rage quit on the hook. I feel like everytime I play killer I find new bugs.

idk but I can confirm it happened to me once, wraith picked me up then just stood still for like a minute then d/c'd

• Locked thread