Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
topenga
Jul 1, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I tried helping my grandmother when I was 15-16, I think her internet was out. I couldn't do anything because I didn't have any passwords, IIRC. After we got home, she called several times asking what I had done. Presumably something had changed. I had to tell my mother every time she called that I hadn't done anything, because I couldn't do anything, because I didn't have the passwords. That's what I generally expect things to be like when helping people.

I used to help my aunt with her computer. Used to. That stopped the day she accused me of changing her Yahoo language to Japanese. Why Japanese, you ask? Because my minor was Japanese (in 1998). So if her contacts list was alphabetized all wrong, it must certainly be in Japanese (There was nothing wrong with her loving Yahoo mail/contacts).

My sister, my mom, and now my older cousin (who thought we just weren't being patient enough with her) have all tried and gave the gently caress up. Now, when poo poo breaks, she goes to Discount Electronics and either gets them to fix it or just buys another $50 computer. Which breaks down and starts that bitch/buy/fix cycle all over again.

Lesson learned: Do never touch anything that's not yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
When people ask me to fix their poo poo, I end up fibbing and saying that I can't. Usually making something up about contractual agreements and how I could lose my job because of it. It's partially true, though--I can't accept money for technical support outside of my employer and our clients.

Though, and I quote one of our VP's, "No one's going to bust you over fixing a computer if you do it for a case of beer".

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I just billed the television station $300 to text the news director a password, because the CE threw out my documentation and the GM can't find his copy.

they paid it :smuggo:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

larchesdanrew posted:

the CE threw out my documentation and the GM can't find his copy.

:f5h::stare:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

larchesdanrew posted:

I just billed the television station $300 to text the news director a password, because the CE threw out my documentation and the GM can't find his copy.

Jesus, that place has to be held together by the 3 B's - band-aids, bubblegum, and bailing wire. And maybe prayers.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Jesus, that place has to be held together by the 3 B's - band-aids, bubblegum, and bailing wire. And maybe prayers.

Naaaah. You'd have to have a soul to pray.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

larchesdanrew posted:

You should have responded that they'll get their password when the CE gets his.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
They didn't even contact me themselves. The news director had the assistant producer text me.

Here, have a glimpse into my life:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I still say that larches needs to fire his current employee and send him on over to the TV station.

I can only imagine the hilarity that would ensue.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I still say that larches needs to fire his current employee and send him on over to the TV station.

I can only imagine the hilarity that would ensue.

No you don't fire him, you contact him out. Put the money directly into the department budget :getin:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

They didn't even contact me themselves. The news director had the assistant producer text me.

:perfect:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Volmarias posted:

She is the exact use case for a Chromebook.

When her current system dies that's how I'm going to go I think.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I got my parents an HP Chromebox to replace an old Dell Optiplex. They both are Google account-havers and Gmail users so it was easy. Zero issues at all.

There were a couple of sites that used Silverlight for video (:wtc:) but they have all moved to HTML5 now so it's all good.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

larchesdanrew posted:

RE: A ticket came in: Then we are hosed

Edit: Please tell me the password was something like: beepboopCEisAbadMANAGER

18 Character Limit fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 21, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Nah, it'll be CE$uxBuff@l0nutz

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Went into biomed engineering area to install Windows on something. I say "hi dude" to guy looking at his lap, figure he's looking at his phone.

I start my stuff and look back over, dude is straight up asleep....

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Went into biomed engineering area to install Windows on something. I say "hi dude" to guy looking at his lap, figure he's looking at his phone.

Could you please depict this via mspaint for us?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

18 Character Limit posted:

RE: A ticket came in: Then we are hosed
I second this notion.

also: I findlly got SCCM to roll out Windows 10, but not the Capture is throwing 0x-errors left and right. :cry:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

Lol you gotta go back. This hilarity has to be mined. Not just for us, but for anyone that would find it funny. You'll be immune to any stress at this point because you'll be playing like you got nothing to lose (cause you don't).

Get a nice retainer fee that lets you work for them like max 8 hrs a week.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Phone isn't the worst thing he could be looking at. :stonk:

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Renegret posted:

I don't even back up my poo poo. Too much effort.

I had a hard drive failure a few years back, and my reaction was to basically shrug and use it as an excuse to do a clean install on an SSD. That SSD was sitting in it's box for almost a year because I just couldn't be assed to install it until my HDD died.

This is from a couple pages ago, but I have a SSD in my tower basically just hanging from the power/sata cable resting on top of a divider in the case. I have a mount for it I bought probably a year ago it sitting on my desk that I still haven't put it in and then installed because :effort:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I might be getting my first actual ticket as opposed to the email system we've been using because we're looking at maybe implementing Spiceworks. Any hot recommendations if we do about configurations / procedure would be most welcome.

Otherwise things have been quiet lately, just the usual modems needing to be restarted and the like.

larchesdanrew posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone permanently delete recent documentation? It's not like word documents take a ton of space if it's just text and a few images, may as well save that poo poo for 10 years until you're 100% certain it's obsolete.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Mo_Steel posted:

I might be getting my first actual ticket as opposed to the email system we've been using because we're looking at maybe implementing Spiceworks. Any hot recommendations if we do about configurations / procedure would be most welcome.

Otherwise things have been quiet lately, just the usual modems needing to be restarted and the like.

Why the gently caress would anyone permanently delete recent documentation? It's not like word documents take a ton of space if it's just text and a few images, may as well save that poo poo for 10 years until you're 100% certain it's obsolete.

Anger/Hate/Spite

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Mo_Steel posted:

I don't think you grasp the kinda person the CE is

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Please read larch's oost history in the thread.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Mo_Steel posted:

Delete? It was probably saved on to the finest Buffalo-brand external drive money can buy.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Mo_Steel posted:

Had to keep the Buffalo NAS below 95%! Every byte counts!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Because by deleting them he has excised the last bit of Larches from his life.

Notice how everything immediately broke.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Priss In Plate posted:

Usually making something up about contractual agreements and how I could lose my job because of it. It's partially true, though--I can't accept money for technical support outside of my employer and our clients.

I hope your indentured servitude is at least lavishly compensated.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Client's internal NTP server is showing up as a stratum 16 server on the boxes we manage (I checked on three different systems) so nothing will sync to it.

I can't sync to external NTP servers because it looks like the client has them blocked at the firewall!

I forwarded along my findings to the person who gave me the NTP server so we'll see if they manage to fix it. Time isn't too offset so it's not a huge deal but still, NTP is a nice thing to have on SAN controllers....

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

tactlessbastard posted:

I hope your indentured servitude is at least lavishly compensated.

It's pretty common for msps. The risk can be real for a client to request personal support on the side if it's cheaper than msp@home rates. The non -competes also likely carry on a year after departure to make sure employees won't walk off with the clients.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mo_Steel posted:

"We don't need this, I'll just fix everything like I've always done, I don't need THAT NERD'S sticky notes to do my job"

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Some times I kinda sorta wish I didn't leave extensive documentation behind at my old job. Then I'd have an excuse to drop by for an hour now and then and shoot the poo poo.

..I still do, of course, but I don't really have any excuses.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Password reset for our entire userbase? This is both :ohdear: and :getin:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It's pretty common for msps. The risk can be real for a client to request personal support on the side if it's cheaper than msp@home rates. The non -competes also likely carry on a year after departure to make sure employees won't walk off with the clients.

Oh. That didn't occur to me. Good point.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Hi, we have a network device that has been out of support for over 4 years, hasn't been eligible for updates for almost 4 years, hasn't had cables plugged into its monitoring interfaces for over 3 years, and is generally just sitting in the data center being a pingable IP and costing money. Please start the decommission process like we've asked you every 6 months for 4 years.

Management: I don't understand why this NEEDS to be decommissioned? Please outline this.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

larchesdanrew posted:

I think the most surprising thing about the story is that the CE actually threw something away.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It wasn't part of his precious trash pile, it was tainted by being made by Larched, so he had no compulsion to hoard it :v:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Crowley posted:

Some times I kinda sorta wish I didn't leave extensive documentation behind at my old job. Then I'd have an excuse to drop by for an hour now and then and shoot the poo poo.

..I still do, of course, but I don't really have any excuses.

HOWTO: write bad documentation that looks good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Password reset for our entire userbase? This is both :ohdear: and :getin:

eh... shouldn't be a problem if this is Windows AD.
It's easy to powershell and the only forseeable problems I could see is if you have a ton of service accounts and people that don't know how to change their password in email settings on their phone.

get-aduser -Filter * -SearchBase "OU=whatever,DC=whatever,DC=whatever" | set-aduser -ChangePasswordAtLogon $True... or something like that

Unless you have to actually change their password FOR them. That's gonna suck, no matter how you slice it. Enjoy all those phone calls.

Edit: also, this is a thing
http://admodify.codeplex.com/

• Locked thread