Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

What about an ambitious 5 hour movie, that is paced well? Could it be done? Could it be done with Superheroes?

Yes and yes, however the answer to the unasked question of "would I go watch that movie?" is "like gently caress I would."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't think I've ever seen a movie crank out as many different posters and promo shots as Suicide Squad. They must be hoping this becomes the same kind of cultural phenomenon as Burton's Batman or the first Ninja Turtles movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'd rather see a crammed, overambitious 3 hour movie than the movie equivalent of a season finale.

I'll always take an ambitious misfire that doesn't quite stick the landing over assembly line mediocrity.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

MacheteZombie posted:

What about an ambitious 5 hour movie, that is paced well? Could it be done? Could it be done with Superheroes?

Anything is possible.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My Lovely Horse posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a movie crank out as many different posters and promo shots as Suicide Squad. They must be hoping this becomes the same kind of cultural phenomenon as Burton's Batman or the first Ninja Turtles movie.

You could say they want it to be the hottest topic this summer.

:haw:

Electromax
May 6, 2007

HIJK posted:

I am also looking forward to a great deal of handwringing about how Zack Snyder is the superhero anti-Christ and ruining All The Movies.

You don't have to look forward to it, it's been gushing nonstop for about 3 years now. The entertainment value is extremely low, it turns out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The scene shot via Dev Farci.

quote:

Batman rounds up the team and they head out. But with Cyborg the dynamics will be different.

“Now that he’s here we can’t all fit in the car!” says The Flash.

“I have something bigger,” Batman replies, which is like perfect.

Gordon turns away. He knows what’s up. Batman’s gonna disappear. He starts giving a speech to the city below him (it’s actually a huge green screen). He turns around, expecting to be alone… but The Flash is still there! Gordon is startled!

“You’re still here!” he says.

“Yeah, hey they all left,” says The Flash. “That’s rude.”

:swoon:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

nice fanfic

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

“I have something bigger,” Batman replies, which is like perfect.

Gordon turns away. He knows what’s up.

Batman no not in public

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Timby posted:

I'll always take an ambitious misfire that doesn't quite stick the landing over assembly line mediocrity.

I think we can still expect Justice League to be of a piece with Man of Steel and Batman v Superman.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

The scene shot via Dev Farci.

This is painfully unfunny. I'm looking forward to CineD's massive praise of Justice League's jokes, though. Somehow they'll all be better and smarter than Marvel's "quips."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

This is painfully unfunny. I'm looking forward to CineD's massive praise of Justice League's jokes, though. Somehow they'll all be better and smarter than Marvel's "quips."

Its the kind of thing that would have worked just fine in the animated series but I don't think that's what they're going for. Or maybe they are who the gently caress knows.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

K. Waste posted:

I would kill to see Snyder's The Illustrated Man, or The Fountainhead (which would basically finally be his Starship Troopers).

Having never seen a Snyder film, are you saying he'd pull a Verhoeven and make a movie satirizing and condemning what he thinks the book was about?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

WampaLord posted:

I think it's something that's going to work on screen rather than written down so I'm not all that worried.

Faraci's set visit is pretty good actually, and worth reading.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I too think it will work better on screen (doesn't every single joke meant to be told rather than read?) but I mean, "painfully unfunny"?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

NikkolasKing posted:

Having never seen a Snyder film, are you saying he'd pull a Verhoeven and make a movie satirizing and condemning what he thinks the book was about?

It'll be a little more advanced than Verhoeven because he'll preoccupy himself entirely with adapting the form of Rand's literature as earnestly as possible, but thus leaving its political and psychological connotations always foregrounded. Meanwhile, if there are any even slightly subtle aspects of Rand's literature, he'll summarize them as reductively as possible, either through really obvious visual innuendo, or through a character just saying a platitude in deadpan.

Actually, I guess it's a little more like early Zucker Bros. without the laugh pause and double-take.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ah, here's some casting we can all get behind. Tormund Goddamn Halfhand is the King of Atlantis.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh hell yes - he is goddamn magnificent and deserves all the fame.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

feedmyleg posted:

Ah, here's some casting we can all get behind. Tormund Goddamn Halfhand is the King of Atlantis.

:black101:

As for the jokes, meh. So long as they're used sparingly then I'm fine with it. As written they seem okay, but I prefer the more deadpan humor in MoS and BvS.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I love the rumour/fact that no matter how many high profile movie roles that guy gets, he can't cut or restyle his hair because of some GoT contract clause. True or not he keeps rockin that hobo can collector look

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
https://youtu.be/Bn4gkwYc5g0

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

feedmyleg posted:

Interesting. I'm curious about how they're gonna twist the story of Atlantis this time around: it's one of the most often changed background element in DC.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The thing that has me rolling my eyes the most is the existence of the three Tesserac-- I mean, motherboxes. I don't get why each 'faction' has one and what they do with it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

feedmyleg posted:

Tormund Giantsbane. The Halfhand was a crow.

Unless something has happened in the show this season.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The thing that has me rolling my eyes the most is the existence of the three Tesserac-- I mean, motherboxes. I don't get why each 'faction' has one and what they do with it.

iirc the humans Atlantans and amazonians teamed up before to send Darkseid away and it either involved splitting up the motherboxes to their 3 realms or they divided them up afterwards for safety. Basically dragon ball logic.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The only thing that irks me from those set reports is them saying that the lesson they learned with BvS is that people don't like to see their heroes deconstructed....which is like the wrong thing to take away from that. I don't really feel like that was anyone's issue at all.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It's almost like objects of power exist in all forms of fiction. Wow. Gee golly.

"The thing that has me rolling my eyes the most is the existence of the three Tesserac-- I mean Triforce."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Since when is a mother box anything at all similar to the Tesseract? A mother box is used to control the boom tubes right? The Tesseract is much more powerful than that, it serves a completely different purpose in the mythology/canon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Mother Box has a variety of powers that varies from canonical source to canonical source. They're more than just the keys to fancy doors.

Dunno if you can compare them to the tesseract/cosmic cube tho.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'll be happy if it's just a competent Avengers.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DrVenkman posted:

The only thing that irks me from those set reports is them saying that the lesson they learned with BvS is that people don't like to see their heroes deconstructed....which is like the wrong thing to take away from that. I don't really feel like that was anyone's issue at all.

What you feel is unimportant. People are absolutely reacting to the film's thesis that the vast majority of Superman media presents a decaffeinated vision of the character, in order hide the terrifying implications. Superman is too good, and therefore a threat our way of life. So he's all but literally beaten down by the media, reduced to pulling cats out of trees.

The film also makes the ballsy choice of saying Clark's relationship with Lois is a bad one that compromises them both.

And the point with Batman is not even so much that he's a bad guy, but that he's ineffectual - a boring person resorting to increasingly desperate publicity stunts to maintain his spooky mystique.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

And the point with Batman is not even so much that he's a bad guy, but that he's ineffectual - a boring person resorting to increasingly desperate publicity stunts to maintain his spooky mystique.

Which, along with his and Luthor's obsessive-compulsive 'branding,' is something of a subversive dig at DC/WB even trying to emulate the MCU formula.

It's like Fox's animated tv shows have developed a conspicuous culture of open derision for their parent network.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

So what you're saying is that we're never gonna see Red Son or Supreme Power on the big screen. I never had much hope to begin with but oh well.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Mads Mikkelsen's character in Dr. Strange has been revealed in an action figure tie in. The Mads figure is labelled "Kaecilius"

I've never heard of him, but his the article says:

quote:

Kaecilius was created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko for one of Strange's earliest adventures in Strange Tales #130 in 1965. Kaecilius was a henchman and mouthpiece for Baron Mordo, Strange's arch-enemy and servant of Dormammu. Kaecilius appeared intermittently throughout Strange Tales, often acting as Mordo's general or messenger. On some occasions, Mordo was able to mentally control Kaecilius and channel Dormammu's power through him. A relatively minor character, Kaecilius has not appeared in comic books in 34 years.

While Baron Mordo is best known as an adversary of Doctor Strange in comic books, Marvel Studios have framed him as a ally and fellow student under the tutelage of the Ancient One. However, the use of Kaecilius calls this into question. Could Kaecilius still be a servant of Mordo, and by extension, a servant of the dread Dormammu, making Mordo the film's secret villain?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Basebf555 posted:

Since when is a mother box anything at all similar to the Tesseract? A mother box is used to control the boom tubes right? The Tesseract is much more powerful than that, it serves a completely different purpose in the mythology/canon.

If there are two things DC should drop its the words 'motherbox' and 'boom tube'. There's something just super cringeworthy about them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Goffer posted:

If there are two things DC should drop its the words 'motherbox' and 'boom tube'. There's something just super cringeworthy about them.

No.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I hope the first thing you see coming out of a boom tube is Granny Goodness.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Played by Ed Asner, of course.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

If Granny Goodness does appear, I hope she's a bizarre combination of Divine and Betty White.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Imagine Louie Anderson in Baskets wearing cosmic finery and people whining that has no place in a tentpole blockbuster.

• Locked thread