Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Texibus posted:

Were you the ghost and if so did you make spooky ghost sounds while delivering your visions while wearing a sheet?

Also, for some reason in the resolution phase when I'd let the players know whether they've guessed right or wrong, I somehow always channeled Muray Povich," Player X.... that is NOT your vision."

Got to play the ghost once and we stuck with no ghost talk just knocking thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Obama 2012 posted:

Any word on which is responsible for Massive Dorkness?

Studio Guillotine

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I would love to see the inner working and history/timeline of CoolMiniorNot. They went from a hot or not type website for miniature painting to a Juggernaut in the hobby boardgame arena almost overnight.

Number of Backers

Zombicide: 5300 (circa 2012)
Sedition Wars: 4300
Rivet Wars: 2500
Zombicide 2: 8900
Kaosball: 1900
Wrath of Kings: 3700
Arcadia Quest: 4800
Dogs of War: 1100
Xenoshit: 3400
Zombicide 3: 12,000
Rum and Bones: 4400
Blood Rage: 9800
B-Sieged: 4700
Zombicide Black Plague: 20,900
The Others 7 Sins: 10,100
Arcadia Quest Inferno: 10,000
Xenoshit 2: 4400
Arcadia Quest Dungeons: 11,000
Rum and Bones 2: 5800
Massive Dorkness: 13,000 and rising. It is currently sitting as the 16th most funded tabletop game with 16 days to go

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Fat Turkey posted:

There is a KickStarter on at the moment related to expansions to the Resident Evil deck-building game. It is asking for 30,000 dollars.
...annnnd cancelled, with only $430 pledged.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Saw Yokohama on KS today, looks pretty great. We love Istanbul and this looks like Istanbul advanced. Has anyone had a chance to play it? Orleans Deluxe was such a great value I think I gotta back this.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

nmfree posted:

...annnnd cancelled, with only $430 pledged.

The best result I've ever heard of from Kickstarter :)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ImpactVector posted:

I went back and read the blog and it sounds like he did do some trimming, but maybe just didn't apply the same principle to all of the decks. But yeah, that's pretty much what happened.

Other highlights of Vlaada design wisdom from part 1 and 2 are "maybe increasing the difficulty when the player is already losing isn't a great idea".

Oh my god, this is hilarious. It is written like Vlaada is some wise old master offering sage yet confounding advice like yoda or something, but the guy is just an idiot who doesn't get why that crap is bad.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

PBS Newshour posted:

Oh my god, this is hilarious. It is written like Vlaada is some wise old master offering sage yet confounding advice like yoda or something, but the guy is just an idiot who doesn't get why that crap is bad.

Yeah it's telling that the lesson he took away from it is "Math is a bitch, Vlaada knows math," rather than anything concrete about the role of random elements in game design.

Math isn't even the issue here. You need math to see that the probability of getting the expected 3 bad cards is only about 34%, but you only need common sense to see that the probability isn't 100%. He does the "smile and nod" thing where he pretends to understand and makes the specific recommended change, but has no idea why so he can't fix the same fundamental issue when it appears everywhere else in his designs.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

EBag posted:

Saw Yokohama on KS today, looks pretty great. We love Istanbul and this looks like Istanbul advanced. Has anyone had a chance to play it? Orleans Deluxe was such a great value I think I gotta back this.

I really like it, I've played twice. My first game was with four which is too many for a first game, then I played with two which was fine but not enough interaction. Three to start but once the group is experienced four will be the sweet spot.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Santa Claus likes it so it must be good.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Just got EmDo Escalation. Should I apply the errata to the base game regardless of whether or not you use the expansion?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Yeah it's telling that the lesson he took away from it is "Math is a bitch, Vlaada knows math," rather than anything concrete about the role of random elements in game design.

Math isn't even the issue here. You need math to see that the probability of getting the expected 3 bad cards is only about 34%, but you only need common sense to see that the probability isn't 100%. He does the "smile and nod" thing where he pretends to understand and makes the specific recommended change, but has no idea why so he can't fix the same fundamental issue when it appears everywhere else in his designs.

I think Trzewiczek understood that Chvatil had said that his ideas were poo poo, but what he took from that was that he could fix the problem with more ideas.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Just got EmDo Escalation. Should I apply the errata to the base game regardless of whether or not you use the expansion?

You want to use the expansion, so it's moot. Eminent Domain goes from bland to great with Escalation. (Exotica I haven't used yet, but hopefully also spices things up.)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Obama 2012 posted:

Are Cool Mini or Not games just style without substance? Shut up and Sit Down plugged their Kickstarter for Massive Darkness, but my impression of their other products (i.e. Zombicide) has been 'fantastic miniatures to entertain you, because the actual gameplay won't'.

I've never played one though, so I can neither confirm nor deny.

I'd describe them as intermittent substance with no style. I picked up Zombicide because there's very few pure coop zombie apocalypse games and at that point it was on season 2 and there were impressions around that seemed moderately positive, and while it's not amazing (especially for the price), it's got a few neat ideas and gets way more mileage out of them than you'd expect. Blood Rage sounds like it's decent with a few issues. Etc. But literally everything they've ever pitched seems really bland and generic to me from a flavor perspective, Zombicide included. Where they're entering more crowded fields (like coop fantasy hack and slash), I see no reason to back them unless you REALLY like minis.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I might want to introduce newbies to the game with the base game though.

Also, do people use the scenarios as well- either all the time or just for some games?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

I might want to introduce newbies to the game with the base game though.

Also, do people use the scenarios as well- either all the time or just for some games?

You probably don't. As far as I can recall the only major new rule introduced in Escalation is differentiating the three sizes of ship token and adding a way to upgrade them. This doesn't meaningfully increase the complexity of the game and will prevent your newbies from wondering why there are three sizes of ship token that all do the same thing.

And I'd use scenarios most of the time, myself, though maybe not for newbies. It lets you actually -use- the later techs instead of the game ending pretty much the moment you get any.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
My gaming group likes Shadows Over Camelot but after a few games it feels like we've solved it and can't really lose, which makes it especially hard to be the traitor. I was considering the expansion, but the travel deck seems to have a lot of the same problems people have mentioned with Robinson Crusoe. Either you get a bunch of bad events in a row and the game is too hard or you get a couple of good events and start pulling ahead.

We've run into a similar issue with Shadow Over Westminster, having won pretty trivially our last 6 games that didn’t involve new players.

Is there any particularly good coop (or coop plus traitor) strategy games for 2 to 5 players? Is the SOC expansion as bad as it looks?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

Is there any particularly good coop (or coop plus traitor) strategy games for 2 to 5 players? Is the SOC expansion as bad as it looks?

The problem with Shadows over Camelot is basically that the traitor doesn't really have a lot of agency up until he reveals himself - he can't really do anything to affect the game without being obvious as gently caress.

For pure coop: Imperial Assault if you like Star Wars, Eldritch Horror if you like elder god mythos poo poo, those should both be pretty good steps up from SoC I reckon.

For coop plus traitor: BSG is basically the king but it will take your traitors a couple of plays to figure out the best ways to push their luck without getting found out. (It will also take your non-traitors a while to figure out what to look for, and how proactive to be.)

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

KPC_Mammon posted:

My gaming group likes Shadows Over Camelot but after a few games it feels like we've solved it and can't really lose, which makes it especially hard to be the traitor. I was considering the expansion, but the travel deck seems to have a lot of the same problems people have mentioned with Robinson Crusoe. Either you get a bunch of bad events in a row and the game is too hard or you get a couple of good events and start pulling ahead.

The travel deck includes a card, Captured, that removes you from the game entirely until another player spends their heroic action and a special white card to free you. Since this skips the bad part of your turn as well as the good part, and the bad part of the extra player's turn is the only way the game's difficulty scales with the number of players, and special white cards are generally quite powerful, the game heavily encourages other players not to bother doing so.

Which means that in my first "play" of Shadows over Camelot, I was removed from the game on my first turn and never rescued, and not rescuing me was 100% the correct strategic decision on the part of the other knights even though I wasn't a traitor. Wow, what a great game!!

e: To be fair the travel deck does mostly avoid the Robinson Crusoe problem, though, since it's small enough that you'll probably see every card in it.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 22, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

We've run into a similar issue with Shadow Over Westminster, having won pretty trivially our last 6 games that didn’t involve new players.

Someone will mention Archipelago sooner or later, which I don't particularly care for but it's kind of unique in that the cooperative element exists to prevent runaway winners. You're all competing against each other to be the one winner but you're cooperatively manipulating the board to screw your opponents yet pushing too hard will blow up the game because a player alone can't manage the crises.

Insert note about dark skinned walla walla bing bang people here.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I guess my post is the most FFG of FFG-shills but I do honestly think they'd all be good steps up from where you're at with SOC. Note that Imperial Assault isn't pure co-op, though, it's one-v-many over the course of a campaign. Alternatively people have raved about Pandemic Legacy and once you git gud there's also Mage Knight and Space Alert for the thread favorites. BSG is still the traitor game of choice though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If your gaming group regularly gets together with the same people and they stuck with SOC long enough to get good at it they will probably flip their poo poo for Pandemic Legacy.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

SilverMike posted:

Gameplay video for Massive Darkness looked alright, they basically ignore complex monster AI in favor of allowing the heroes to abuse the simple aggro rules. It gave me a strong Warhammer Quest vibe though with XP going to killshots and (almost?) completely random encounters.

I watched the gameplay video for Massive Darkness and I got the complete opposite impression to "alright". I thought it looked loving awful.

It is very much a dice fest, where there are four sets of coloured dice (2 are defence colours, 2 are offence - 3 dice of each colour). The game is just getting gear and skills to max your dice and then chucking as many as possible.

There is also a clear runaway leader problem. You only gain experience from killing monsters: 1XP per dead bad guy. In the video, the battle wizard got a few early hits and started upgrading before the others. It then snowballed as he became more and more powerful and killed more and more monsters gaining more XP and skills. The rogue on the other hand snuck around looting rather than killing. She got some OK gear (not as good as the drops from the dead monsters) but no XP. She also couldn't use most of the gear as it was suited to her character so she gave it away to other players.

It's all co-op so maybe the runway leader issue doesn't matter for some people, but I wouldn't want to play it. It didn't look like they did either. The video went for an hour and ten minutes and they completed one quarter of an introductory dungeon. The players, who were three CMON staff plus the designer, looked bored at the end of it. I kept watching because it was like a slow motion train wreck.

There is one interesting mechanic, which is the shadow versus lit parts of the dungeon, but the layout is entirely linear and you just wonder from one to another.

Massive Darkness looks to me like everything that is wrong about most Kickstarter trad games. It's based on lots of good miniatures (which CMON does very well) and very basic, and poorly designed, gameplay. It is chock full of Kickstarter exclusives, so you have to buy now before any real reviews are released or you miss out.

And then there are the skeevy bits. Have a look at the female barbarian player character. I'm sure those armoured nipple covers and Gstring will keep her warm and safe in the dungeon.

I'll pass, thanks.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I like Ghost Stories a lot but you do eventually have to roll dice in it even if you play perfectly, so it's not for people who hate that. It is simultaneously more challenging and less random bullshit than Robinson Crusoe though. Oh and it feels more varied with half the setup time and more flavourful with no text at all, just a much better game.

RC is the pure co-op for people who love Dead of Winter I guess.

That reminds me, I got to introduce 4 people to space alert recently and they loving loved it, man that game owns.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Stelas made me realize I'm drinking the FFG koolaid. I have and enjoy the gently caress out of ImpAss, Descent 2.0, Runewars+BoW, and Starcraft+BW.

I have brought great dishonor to myself :suicide:

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Does playing new T&E count as drinking the FFG koolaid

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Durendal posted:

Stelas made me realize I'm drinking the FFG koolaid. I have and enjoy the gently caress out of ImpAss, Descent 2.0, Runewars+BoW, and Starcraft+BW.

I buy everything they put out for 2 LCGs (LotR & AGoT), and I'm currently expanding Descent 2.0 because the app is so good. This koolaid is good.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Star Wars Rebellion is their only game I care about but it's my purple drank.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Durendal posted:

Starcraft + BW owns to be fair.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
I am kind of tempted by this https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/craftygames/mistborn-house-war It looks like it's been around at conferences because there are some reviews online. Has any one here played it?

edit - removing the So at the start of the sentence, didn't realize I did that till I saw it quoted. Gross.

Shemp the Stooge fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jun 22, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fantasy Flight is a top tier publisher. Twilight Imperium 3 owns, Arkham Horror owns, Talisman owns! Every Fantasy Flight game has a great production value and unique flavor that can't be beat. Of course (looking over my collection) Z-Man appears to be the best publisher, but Fantasy Flight is a close second.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Not that you'd know about Talisman's production value.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
It looks like Scythe should/could be arriving in the next 1.5-2 weeks :neckbeard:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rutibex posted:

Fantasy Flight is a top tier publisher. Twilight Imperium 3 owns, Arkham Horror owns, Talisman owns! Every Fantasy Flight game has a great production value and unique flavor that can't be beat. Of course (looking over my collection) Z-Man appears to be the best publisher, but Fantasy Flight is a close second.

You literally glued together a pirated version of Talisman you loving methhead

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Rutibex posted:

Of course (looking over my collection) Z-Man appears to be the best publisher, but Fantasy Flight is a close second.

If Tragedy Looper is any indication, Z-Man is a godawful publisher that has happened to pick up a few amazing games.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

If I had enough players that would be able to stick with the game long enough, I'd totally get Pandemic Legacy, but unfortunately I just don't.

I have honestly considered getting it to run a megathread out of it, but my ability to photo poo poo is pretty bad, and scans are nigh-impossible to find because they'd give away too much.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If Tragedy Looper is any indication, Z-Man is a godawful publisher that has happened to pick up a few amazing games.

Z Man is almost as bad as Wizkids imo. See also their handling of Tash Kalar.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Archenteron posted:

It looks like Scythe should/could be arriving in the next 1.5-2 weeks :neckbeard:

My friend got it today! But I don't get to play it for another week :( I feel like I'm going to play it and end up having to buy myself a copy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I played it once. Kinda felt like a mashup of Terra Mystica and Kemet without the charm of either. Some interesting things going on though, and I'll definitely try it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

thatnks for reminding me to check craigslist where someone is selling the GoT LCG core and San Juan for $1 each