Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

UberJew posted:

I hope they've got bars on the windows or at least keep those in a safe because jesus christ

IDK if they keep them in a safe, but it's not a prison. It does however, seat like 45 people comfortably inside that tiny space. They usually get like 65+ though.

The lady who runs it is nice and knowledgeable AFAIK (only went once) but my buddy who went another time said the rest of her family is all like super weird awkward nerds and he felt uncomfortable there.

Thisuck posted:

You'll also be near Frank and Sons, probably one of the cheapest ways to get cards here in SoCal.

Franks is fun to walk around, I never bothered buying cards when I was there. Lots of vendors, though.

It's like a giant nerd closet / toy chest, and I was amazed at how much ugly junky poo poo some random comic store guy was trying to sell for $80. Like, I guess there is a market for "well loved" toys from the 70s, but I'm clearly not it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Sigma-X posted:

IDK if they keep them in a safe, but it's not a prison. It does however, seat like 45 people comfortably inside that tiny space. They usually get like 65+ though.

The lady who runs it is nice and knowledgeable AFAIK (only went once) but my buddy who went another time said the rest of her family is all like super weird awkward nerds and he felt uncomfortable there.

I'd be more worried that twenty legacy decks is just basically a cool 20 grand that somebody could throw in a backpack and run off with in a couple minutes in the middle of the night. And probably suggests that there's a hell of a lot more money lying around the store with not even bars on the windows to stop anybody from breaking in there with a rock and five seconds.

It would not be the first time

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

UberJew posted:

I'd be more worried that twenty legacy decks is just basically a cool 20 grand that somebody could throw in a backpack and run off with in a couple minutes in the middle of the night. And probably suggests that there's a hell of a lot more money lying around the store with not even bars on the windows to stop anybody from breaking in there with a rock and five seconds.

It would not be the first time

That's like every magic store, ever, though, which is why they get hit from time to time.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sigma-X posted:

That's like every magic store, ever, though, which is why they get hit from time to time.

My local at least has bars and other basic security measures

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My local is in the same shopping center where 30 to 40 guns were stolen from a gun store last night.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Don't think most retail stores are keen on putting metals bars over their windows. Not the most welcoming image.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

You get insurance and install cameras not set up your store like fort knox what are you guys thinking?

People don't wander into the local store that looks like a seedy pawnshop

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Brian Kelly with the Sun Titan Force of Will Sphere of Resistance Scroll Rack deck in VSL

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Mindslaver let's you do a lot of weird stuff, literally anything other than concede. Fail to finds, paying Phyrexian mana, etc. The Phyrexian mana one is worth noting because you can kill people with their own spellskites. Spellskites ability targets literally any spell or ability, whether it's a valid redirect or not, surprisingly few people know that.

My favorite was making a friend of mine at locals cast spoils of the vault naming Plains two games in a row.

You can even look through their sideboard, funnily enough.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mikujin posted:

You can even look through their sideboard, funnily enough.

You can do any player legal action as long as it isn't concede.
You're allowed to look at your own sideboard while you wait for your opponent to make their plays, so it makes sense you can do it while they're Mindslavered

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I might be interested in flipping this...

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I am suddenly much more interested.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

just rust posted:

Don't think most retail stores are keen on putting metals bars over their windows. Not the most welcoming image.

They're retractable. Fold away when the place is open and occupied.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

:stare:

But what does the day side look like?!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It's hard to say a lot about that card without knowing the other side but my guess is that we're going to have a bunch of things that are pre- and post-emrakul emerging

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mcmagic posted:

that transformed icon is amusing.

and it swings for 13

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I think the best thing about Hanweir is that Emrakul managed to turn it into a giant shambling ooze.

I hope we get a Human Werewolf Eldrazi Horror because that seems like a mouthful.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The collector number indicates that its front side is not colorless.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

suicidesteve posted:

The collector number indicates that its front side is not colorless.

And also likely not a land.

Artifact maybe?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
the hanweir chronicles story was all about the township building a huge wall and hiding behind it so maybe a legendary wall creature

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

President Ark posted:

the hanweir chronicles story was all about the township building a huge wall and hiding behind it so maybe a legendary wall creature

Thats what I thought. Like Thing in the Ice.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

well, if you've ever wanted to cast a Moat, I hope you have yours already:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

And also likely not a land.

Artifact maybe?

Number looks too small for artifact, I think it has to be red or green and my guess, based off the functionality of the backside, is green

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AgentSythe posted:

This is somehow totally unsurprising

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

gently caress Moat.

My biggest hope for this set is now a colorless Control Magic called You Have Been Chosen.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

AgentSythe posted:

the most retarded "buyout" ever. There are 32 on magiccardmarket and about 7 of them are below 200 euros

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

AgentSythe posted:

I have counterfeitsproxies.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Support your local counterfeit vendors of all reserved list cards; print them into irrelevancy.

Karma is a bitch.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I suppose it's cheaper to rent a backhoe and dig my own moat at this point?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

President Ark posted:

Finally, my Walls Tribal EDH deck will have its commander!

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hey Hellsau

I'm calling your rear end out for playing Peregrine Drake in pauper. loving fight me irl

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

Finally, my Walls Tribal EDH deck will have its commander!

Nope.
It's gonna be an artifact before transforming, minus fifty Sheldon points!

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Hanweir chronicle tumblr posted the final update from the resident/s of hanweir.
In poor handwriting on parchment: WE ARE HAVING DIFFICULTY OPERATING A SINGLE PEN

:stonk:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So I wonder if instead of Devoid coming back we'll just have a bunch of colored non-eldrazi creatures that transform into colorless Eldrazi. That would actually be kind of neat.
I wonder how many "cares-about-colorless" cards a la Eldrazi Aggresor or Swarm Surge we'll get?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'd imagine that we're more likely to see horror tribal than referencing colorlessness or Eldrazi directly. There are a decent number of horrors seeded in SOI so that'd make the sets play better together.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
This set will be drafted EDM-EDM-SOI, right? So there's got to be some synergy with the SOI stuff.
I wonder if the Eldrazi flip cards will use a different flip condition than the werewolves? There's stuff that still works even then, like Cult of the Waxing moon triggers when your dudes flip into Eldrazi monstrosities, no matter what the flip trigger is.
I hope we get a Moonmist type card that works with both werewolves and flip-drazi. "Transform all humans. Prevent all damage dealt by non-eldrazi creatures this turn" would be cool.

If I had to guess I'd bet on the returning mechanics being just DFCs and Delirium, with no more Madness or Investigate cards.

Oh and I guess Skulk will probably still be there, but I've almost forgotten Skulk is a new set mechanic at this point. It really feels like something that's going to be evergreen as a common creature mechanic that blue and black can share, since that color pair doesn't hasn't really had that until now. It seems to fit so well that at this point I'll be surprised if it doesn't end up becoming an evergreen thing like Prowess did.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

This set will be drafted EDM-EDM-SOI, right? So there's got to be some synergy with the SOI stuff.
I wonder if the Eldrazi flip cards will use a different flip condition than the werewolves? There's stuff that still works even then, like Cult of the Waxing moon triggers when your dudes flip into Eldrazi monstrosities, no matter what the flip trigger is.
I hope we get a Moonmist type card that works with both werewolves and flip-drazi. "Transform all humans. Prevent all damage dealt by non-eldrazi creatures this turn" would be cool.

If I had to guess I'd bet on the returning mechanics being just DFCs and Delirium, with no more Madness or Investigate cards.

Oh and I guess Skulk will probably still be there, but I've almost forgotten Skulk is a new set mechanic at this point. It really feels like something that's going to be evergreen as a common creature mechanic that blue and black can share, since that color pair doesn't hasn't really had that until now. It seems to fit so well that at this point I'll be surprised if it doesn't end up becoming an evergreen thing like Prowess did.

They already said Skulk sucked and no one liked it so its not going to be evergreen. Basically the problem was that it doesn't have any interesting design space beyond tacking it onto poo poo for no real reason.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

AgentSythe posted:

Hey Hellsau

I'm calling your rear end out for playing Peregrine Drake in pauper. loving fight me irl

I'd fight you in real life, but unfortunately I have the combo in hand. Drake, Flicker Drake and land, Archaeomancer Flicker, make a lot of mana, play Sage's Row Denizen, loop Flicker a bunch. You have no library. Your turn.

lol jk I kept a two lander with Brainstorm, Ponder, Island and Evolving Wilds and now I have 40 cards left in my library, it's turn 8, and I still have two lands in play.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I mean they already just tack "can't be blocked" so this is just the next step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

They already said Skulk sucked and no one liked it so its not going to be evergreen. Basically the problem was that it doesn't have any interesting design space beyond tacking it onto poo poo for no real reason.

Really? It feels like one of those kinda-boring-but-plays-well creature mechanics that's easy to tack on to common creatures to keep combat interesting along the lines of Menace. I mean it's obviously not splashy but makes sense to me as a black-blue creature keyword.

• Locked thread