Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

I somehow wonder if I'm getting a skewed view of Japanese culture from all these wish fulfillment stories. Is it really as bleak and terrible as the corporate culture would seem to suggest?

I really want to hope it isn't a country with a binary of people who work themselves to death OR want to impregnate their sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

FriggenJ posted:

I really want to hope it isn't a country with a binary of people who work themselves to death OR want to impregnate their sister.

Don't be silly.

Some people are both of these things.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

FriggenJ posted:

I somehow wonder if I'm getting a skewed view of Japanese culture from all these wish fulfillment stories. Is it really as bleak and terrible as the corporate culture would seem to suggest?

It's a bit akin to getting your view of American culture entirely from the popularity of the mainstream 'i swear it's not masturbatory fanfiction' work 50 shades of grey

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
To be fair I'm pretty sure the writer of 50 Shades has been open about the fact it was her masturbatory fan-fiction.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Boogaleeboo posted:

To be fair I'm pretty sure the writer of 50 Shades has been open about the fact it was her masturbatory fan-fiction.

its mostly the readers that protest too much

much like with bad wns

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

http://www.pathoftranslation.com/projects/my-daoist-life/

My Daoist Life is really excellent guys.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
From what I understand, fetishizing incest in japan is almost entirely an otaku thing brought on by the fact that very few people in the last few generations even have siblings. The author of mahouka seems to feel very strongly that the rich are superior and that wealthy, influential families are innately suited to rule. He idolizes a class of people he doesn't understand and will never be part of. So with that in mind, the dude probably doesn't have a sister either.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Serious Frolicking posted:

The author of mahouka seems to feel very strongly that the rich are superior and that wealthy, influential families are innately suited to rule. He idolizes a class of people he doesn't understand and will never be part of.

Given the millions upon millions of books he sells, it doesn't seem too unlikely that he could one day be considered "rich".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

darkgray posted:

Given the millions upon millions of books he sells, it doesn't seem too unlikely that he could one day be considered "rich".

He will never be old money and he will never have political power.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

But he will never have the pedigree the all the truly rich people have that also makes them attractive and morally righteous.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is kind of like how ayn rand wrote about industrialist demigods but ended up incredibly poor and on welfare. Sucking the collective cock of the rich doesn't get you an invitation to become one of them because there is no such thing.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So, upon someone in the thread's advice (Who, exactly, I don't remember...) I went ahead and read through all the other stuff Oniichanyamate is translating. On the one hand, they were right, and it's pretty much all gold. On the other hand, not a single loving thing has been completed, and everything appears to be stalled. Even the one single entry in their "completed" section still has several untranslated epilogues. It's incredibly disappointing! Have they really not finished a single complete translation?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Captain Bravo posted:

Have they really not finished a single complete translation?

Most of the titles are still being written, so there's nothing to really complete as such, I guess. Bit sad there's no focus on Kenkyo, though, since it's the best thing ever in forever. But then it only gets a few updates a month at most, so they'll catch up eventually either way.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Oniichanyamete is like a shining star of hope every time I see their name in Novelupdates' latest updates so I'm glad for it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Mahouka v17 report: nothing happened. Mostly it was dedicated to various characters reacting to the totally not incestuous engagement which is secretly totally incestuous. Aside from the people who wanted to nail one or both of the ubermensch siblings, everyone else was more concerned that they were part of the spooky secretive Yotsuba family. Oh, and there is a sinister chinaman who is up to no good. Overall, it was boring and not funny.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like anyone is bothering to translate v18. It has been out for like a year now and there are barely even any summaries much less translations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh, and in lms that dick Weed stabbed his cool new (ancient evil) dragon (of poison and chaos) buddy in the back (of his head, repeatedly). The dragon basically did all the work for Weed's quest and got betrayed by his friend in return. Like sure, they were only friends because the dragon was partially mind controlled and very suggestible but that poo poo just ain't cool.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Hey now, that dragon had it coming to him, being a dragon and all that. What good are dragons for other than to be hunted by adventurers for loot and crafting materials?

Also, Weed is a (virtual) murderhobohomeowner, so this kind of behavior is expected. When he isn't killing and looting everything he can within sight, you know something's up.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
The whole point of LMS is that Weed is only really good to two people in the world. His Grandmother and his Sister. Elsewise he's a jerk who exploits everyone for profit.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Hey, what are all the sites where translations are aggregated, like Royal Road?

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Captain Bravo posted:

Well, there are a few. But overall I use Novelupdates which acts as a database/rss feed of updates.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I should explain more about this I guess. It's a cultivation story set, currently, in 1999 rural China. A boy finds a weird pendant that puts him in a sort of waking dream state for 2 years before he wakes up, enlightened on qi. There appear to be actual sects hidden away and such, as well as tomb ruins, but the translation is still pretty early in.

It seems to be pretty slice of life, rather than power up and fight, and has some solid characters so far. In these early parts it seems like a lot of it is about growing up in rural China and the MC, who actually feels like a kid (a smart one though), trying to make money because he thinks it'll bring his parents back to his village. Just with qi and cultivation.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

SerSpook posted:

I should explain more about this I guess. It's a cultivation story set, currently, in 1999 rural China. A boy finds a weird pendant that puts him in a sort of waking dream state for 2 years before he wakes up, enlightened on qi. There appear to be actual sects hidden away and such, as well as tomb ruins, but the translation is still pretty early in.

It seems to be pretty slice of life, rather than power up and fight, and has some solid characters so far. In these early parts it seems like a lot of it is about growing up in rural China and the MC, who actually feels like a kid (a smart one though), trying to make money because he thinks it'll bring his parents back to his village. Just with qi and cultivation.

Having picked it up and powered through it since your earlier recommendation I would expound as well that it seems to be written almost like a memoir, of the protagonist in some unmentioned future looking back on himself.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

Royal road no longer hosts any translated works. It is now a garbage dump for garbage original works (which are garbage).

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

I like it.

In other news, Men Hoa is still swindling people. The last few chapters have been nothing but epic fighting, and then Meng Hao swindles out of the blue. Did not see that coming.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
He didn't even mean to swindle, it just happened.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i thought shura's wrath had already gone full retard, what with how apparently people with psychic powers are running around and they can use them in a vrmmo. a vrmmo which is used for proxy wars between fuerdai (i had to look up the term), no less. but no, now there is a little sister character that is frequently described with some disturbing adjectives who was sent from her dying world to earth like superman.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Sturgeon's Law man. For every 1 good story you find, the other 9 is bound to be absolutely terrible at worst and half-rear end decent at best. What I do to avoid lovely stories is to avoid chuuni sounding titles, and Shura's Wrath strikes out twice with a name of a god plus being really angry.

As a side note, Kumo-chan has evolved and is now embarking on her next grand adventure. Kumo-chan is great no matter the medium of media she's in.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I like it.

In other news, Men Hoa is still swindling people. The last few chapters have been nothing but epic fighting, and then Meng Hao swindles out of the blue. Did not see that coming.

He also did it earlier when while everyone was gazing reverently/dashing madly for the soul he just started mugging people on his way there. It was great.

We're probably going to have to wait for Third Severing to get any real shenanigans going though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jwang posted:

Sturgeon's Law man. For every 1 good story you find, the other 9 is bound to be absolutely terrible at worst and half-rear end decent at best. What I do to avoid lovely stories is to avoid chuuni sounding titles, and Shura's Wrath strikes out twice with a name of a god plus being really angry.

As a side note, Kumo-chan has evolved and is now embarking on her next grand adventure. Kumo-chan is great no matter the medium of media she's in.

Shura's Wrath is both terrible and ridiculous in an entertaining way. Though, I'm sure I will drop it sooner or later. It is by the against the gods guys, after all.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Yinlock posted:

He also did it earlier when while everyone was gazing reverently/dashing madly for the soul he just started mugging people on his way there. It was great.

We're probably going to have to wait for Third Severing to get any real shenanigans going though.

I want him to complete the third severing and then go collect all his debts that owed to him from demon immortal sect arc. He also still hasn't ever tried to do anything with the mirror that he took way back then that had an insane amount of magical items in it + the demon sealer spear.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Is there an RSS feed or update list or something for OniiChanYamete? I'm reading basically every series they're translating now, and it'd be nice to just know when something updates, instead of checking all of them every day.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Captain Bravo posted:

Is there an RSS feed or update list or something for OniiChanYamete? I'm reading basically every series they're translating now, and it'd be nice to just know when something updates, instead of checking all of them every day.

http://www.novelupdates.com/group/oniichanyamete/ isn't enough?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Captain Bravo posted:

There's a novelupdates page, or you can sign up to get, uh, email updates (follow button in the lower right).

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

It's a wordpress-blog, so: https://oniichanyamete.wordpress.com/feed/

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Didn't know they were on NovelUpdates, and didn't know wordpress blogs automatically had a feed. Thank you both!

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013
In Imperial God Emperor, i seriously cannot believe I didn't connect Song Xiaojun with Annie as soon as he gave the bear toy to her those chapters ago

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Question about Worm because I'm not really sure where else to ask this: (late spoilers)Is it ever really articulated why Taylor decided she couldn't be a hero (after the year and a half with the Chicago team)? It seems like she was just an unfriendly stick in the mud towards them for no clear reason and just now (29.1) she says how she had decided to not be a hero. Now that the Protectorate isn't corrupt anymore her earlier reasoning for being a villain kind of falls apart and I don't see why she can't just stay a hero or maybe help negotiate some official partnership between the Protectorate and the Undersiders' organization (that is now more or less run by Tattletale).

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

When she was working with the team in question, she was 100% devoted to the goal of stopping Jack. That was the only thing on her mind, not bonding with teammates, not taking the time to self-reflect and see if she'd changed as a person. She is effectively in the same mindset as the Taylor of two years ago, and when poo poo goes down she naturally reverts to the only thing she can trust. It's just that in this case, that means being a villain.

Besides, you can say that they're changed and that they've cleaned house and all that, but The protectorate was still giving the Chinese and the European organizations a pass on attacking civilians. It's the exact same mindset that ignored Kaiser but stomped on the Undersiders, it's dug in too deep to go away with the expulsion of the Cauldron collaborators, that poo poo is institutional. Taylor has always, always been about going her own way when she feels that she needs to, that kind of mindset just doesn't fit with an organization as strictly bureaucratic as the Protectorate.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Question about Worm because I'm not really sure where else to ask this: (late spoilers)Is it ever really articulated why Taylor decided she couldn't be a hero (after the year and a half with the Chicago team)? It seems like she was just an unfriendly stick in the mud towards them for no clear reason and just now (29.1) she says how she had decided to not be a hero. Now that the Protectorate isn't corrupt anymore her earlier reasoning for being a villain kind of falls apart and I don't see why she can't just stay a hero or maybe help negotiate some official partnership between the Protectorate and the Undersiders' organization (that is now more or less run by Tattletale).

Basically the wards weren't as popular as the undersiders, so Wildbow decided to pretend Taylor just spent 2 years of her life without making any contacts or change in how she thought/etc so he could get back to what his fanbase liked.

Also, being a villain is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I think that's a needlessly pessimistic take. The entire time Taylor was in the Wards it was a constant refrain of her chafing under their rules, and swallowing her frustration because that was what was needed to take down Jack. Literally every single chapter during that arc has someone remark on how standoffish she is, has her remark on how bullshit the PRC is, or has some situation arise that she could easily handle if her arms weren't being tied behind her back, metaphorically speaking.

It's not coincidence that the three people she likes and respects during that arc are

A) Defiant, who was the poster boy of the protectorate until he became a free agent after doing some villain poo poo, and has since become astronomically less of an rear end in a top hat.
B) Dragon, who almost died just to be free of following the whims of the PRC, which she hated doing and continually apologizes for.
C) The PR dude whose name I can't remember, who gets himself to be canned from the PRC for Taylor's sake, and warns her what a viper's nest the senior leadership is.

Say what you will about the quality of writing chapter-to-chapter, but distrust and hate of the protectorate was there from day loving one, and remained consistent until the very bitter end.

• Locked thread