Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

IcePhoenix posted:

Also I played as manshep because how else am I going to bang all the alien spacebabes?
Being femshep does not in any way stop you from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Why can't manshep bang all the alien spacebros?

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008
dude that would be hella gay

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

its not gay if it's garrus

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

coke zero mit mayo posted:

dude that would be hella gay

That's the best magnitude of gay

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Wxhode posted:

Look at this loving poseur who doesn't know Vega is the one true homosex.

Wait wait, you can bromance Vega?!? I actually never knew that.

Oh my.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Replaying Mass Effect 1 (the Star Trek to this series's Firefly bent from the later games). Man, the Post-Eden Prime conversation is just awful. Apart from talking to Kaidan and Chakwas, every single dialogue choice you pick has exactly the same words. Also, the ominous music when you talk about your dream abruptly cutting out the moment Chakwas starts talking again was amusing.

And then there is the hearing in front of the Council, where you aren't allowed to present evidence against Saren (what little there is), and instead your only dialogue options are to yell at him or the council like a child. I like ME1 the most, but it never really gives you the chance to make intelligent dialogue choices.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Four new novels announced! Some are prequels and some are sequels to the new game.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Initiative by NK Jemisin - August 2016
Book 2 by ? - March 2017
Book 3 by ? - September 2017
Book 4 by Mac Walters - March 2018

So it looks like we'll get our first inklings of plot in August! And the release date for the second book might coincide with the game.

https://m.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/4ojiat/four_new_mass_effect_books/

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ShadowHawk posted:

Being femshep does not in any way stop you from that.

I said all of them

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
http://gamerant.com/mass-effect-andromeda-no-paragon-renegade-system/

no paragon/renegade system in Andromeda

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

I said all of them

Too bad for you, you can't bang all of them as manshep, either. I think your secretary in ME3 is lesbian-only?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rhjamiz posted:

Too bad for you, you can't bang all of them as manshep, either. I think your secretary in ME3 is lesbian-only?

She's not an alien :smuggo:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

they said there's no paragon/renegade but that doesn't rule out the existence of some kind of morality system

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

SciFiDownBeat posted:

they said there's no paragon/renegade but that doesn't rule out the existence of some kind of morality system

Ya I would be SHOCKED if your decisions and standing didn't somehow affect the game/ending.

I'm not upset in the slightest. The weakness of paragon/renegade was that to unlock content you had to play as an unrealistic do-gooder or a complete psychopath. If you were really after a realistic system of "what would I do in this situation?" you missed out on content and dialogue checks.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
just steal pillars of eternity's behavioral system

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Pook Good Mook posted:

I'm not upset in the slightest. The weakness of paragon/renegade was that to unlock content you had to play as an unrealistic do-gooder or a complete psychopath. If you were really after a realistic system of "what would I do in this situation?" you missed out on content and dialogue checks.

You don't actually, though. Pretty much only the Morinth/Zaeed loyalty checks require you to go all in, and you might miss out on the chance to talk down TIM/Saren if you have a very even spread.

steakmancer posted:

But yeah, this works.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Obsidian should do all RPGs. Sorry, it's true

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
ME3 was moving in the right direction with "reputation" where paragon/renegade just determined the flavor of your reaction. Doing great deeds improved your reputation regardless of how you accomplished them, but characters could respond with fear or adoration depending on your history

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

DarkHorse posted:

ME3 was moving in the right direction with "reputation" where paragon/renegade just determined the flavor of your reaction. Doing great deeds improved your reputation regardless of how you accomplished them, but characters could respond with fear or adoration depending on your history

You're loving Shephard, your rep is already through the roof. Complete waste of time.

No stupid omnipotent morality system, just track individual decisions and consequences.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

But what if we want to play fun games?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

sassassin posted:

You're loving Shephard, your rep is already through the roof. Complete waste of time.

No stupid omnipotent morality system, just track individual decisions and consequences.

But how will I know if I'm doing a good playthrough or a bad playthrough???

:witcher:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

It's been a while since I played, but wasn't it the opposite? I thought Shep's rep has generally been in the toilet for most of the series, constantly going on about poo poo that nobody really believes.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare is going to be a better Mass Effect game than Mass Effect: Andromeda. Sorry.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
To be honest, it speaks volumes that the ME series is so thoroughly rotten that they're forced to set the next game in an entirely separate galaxy.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I wouldn't say rotten exactly but it is a little odd that they did all that worldbuilding and can only now use some of it (races, tech, certain visual styles)

I mean think of all the cool planet descriptions in the original trilogy that they're never gonna get to explore now.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

That's a funny way of spelling "CD Projekt Red."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

steakmancer posted:

Alpha Protocol's perks would be better.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Alpha Protocol's perks would be better.

For a game with gameplay that I couldn't get into at all, Goons sure do love Alpha Protocol. I wish I could have enjoyed it as much as everyone else around here.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Spacebump posted:

For a game with gameplay that I couldn't get into at all, Goons sure do love Alpha Protocol. I wish I could have enjoyed it as much as everyone else around here.

Same. Everyone here praises it for its story, but I played through it without caring about any of the characters or the plot.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

I wouldn't say rotten exactly but it is a little odd that they did all that worldbuilding and can only now use some of it (races, tech, certain visual styles)

I mean think of all the cool planet descriptions in the original trilogy that they're never gonna get to explore now.

Well, they did destroy our galaxy. Or not. I dunno what the final retcon was precisely, I stopped messing with single player ME3 after one run through and apparently they still crashed on that stupid planet so I guess everything is still hosed.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lumpy the Cook posted:

To be honest, it speaks volumes that the ME series is so thoroughly rotten that they're forced to set the next game in an entirely separate galaxy.

I don't think it's rotten, I think it's just the residue of Your Choices Matter(tm) gumming up the ability to tell any further stories in the original setting. They are too cowardly to put their foot down and say "Yeah, this is what happened at the end of the third game. Everything else is still up in the air due to it being a century or two, but this one time we're codifying poo poo."

The damndest thing, on the other hand, is that I think people would bitch about it. Even after going from 1 to 2 should've taught you that Your Choices Matter was bunk.

What's galling to me is that you can do clever things to resolve the Which Ending Happened issue, but they are unwilling or unable to do something similar. Elder Scrolls had their resident God Of Time have a seizure and cause all of a games endings happen, with nobody quite knowing how. Deus Ex's sequel (ignoring the rest of the game) had one ending causing another causing another.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

MisterBibs posted:

I don't think it's rotten, I think it's just the residue of Your Choices Matter(tm) gumming up the ability to tell any further stories in the original setting. They are too cowardly to put their foot down and say "Yeah, this is what happened at the end of the third game. Everything else is still up in the air due to it being a century or two, but this one time we're codifying poo poo."

The damndest thing, on the other hand, is that I think people would bitch about it. Even after going from 1 to 2 should've taught you that Your Choices Matter was bunk.

What's galling to me is that you can do clever things to resolve the Which Ending Happened issue, but they are unwilling or unable to do something similar. Elder Scrolls had their resident God Of Time have a seizure and cause all of a games endings happen, with nobody quite knowing how. Deus Ex's sequel (ignoring the rest of the game) had one ending causing another causing another.

IIRC, the new Deus Ex is taking the bold choice of saying that none of Human Revolution's endings are canon.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hey guys just had a neat idea: what if Buzz Aldrin is actually talking to a young Ryder in the end of ME3, and this inspires he/she (it's kinda ambiguous) to join the Alliance/N7/Whatever the gently caress and be like "the Shepard."

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 22, 2016

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
where is my batarian squadmate, did they reveal xir yet?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
The new morality system will ask you to choose between conquering space for the glorious Human Empire or turning space into the Human Empire with your dick.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The new morality system will ask you to choose between conquering space for the glorious Human Empire or turning space into the Human Empire with your dick.

Do both. The Genghis Khan approach.

Charles De Mar
Jun 8, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Hey guys just had a neat idea: what if Buzz Aldrin is actually talking to a young Ryder in the end of ME3, and this inspires he/she (it's kinda ambiguous) to join the Alliance/N7/Whatever the gently caress and be like "the Shepard."

i'll never get over the loving kid being a resized adult

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

It's he

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Spacebump posted:

However you feel about alpha protocol, small but different gameplay bonuses tailored to how you've played so far would totally beat "Did you pick blue or red enough yet" during dialogue for consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Saw this and found it funny. Hard to see in some bits (most easily seen at ~0.08/09 and at 0:46), and clearly a bug (maybe when they were rendering one cinematic a lazy developer just put Ash's model somewhere to grab it later?), but ~sospooky~

• Locked thread