Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

Cool, indy camp are even more unhinged than I'd realised, which is really saying something.

Yeah, I mean saying Jesus is the King of Scotland is one thing, but still thinking Scotland should be independent as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Aramoro posted:

The top story today is the greenhouse gas one?

Also this fantastic story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-36520856

I would have paid good money to be in the gallery for this hearing

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Chances of Brexit loving this over to a worse state then before?

Jedit posted:

Yeah, I mean saying Jesus is the King of Scotland is one thing, but still thinking Scotland should be independent as well?

forkboy84 posted:

Cool, indy camp are even more unhinged than I'd realised, which is really saying something.

They don't have the balls to do something dangerous though at the moment.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Come on, if I hadn't said it you'd be wondering if I was ill.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/743032797758169088
Scotland: not so different from the rest of the UK

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It never has been.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

53% to 32% is quite different from the rest of the UK still. In that there are a lot more undecideds here apparently.

Though I'm sceptical of a poll so different to the polls we've seen up to this point.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

A 20 point lead is a massive difference.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
that's a lot more undecided voters than in past Scottish polls; its still a fair bit different to other UK polls. If you removed the undecideds then you'd have about a 65/35 result which is very different to the UK one.

In other referendums in the past there's been a late swing towards the status quo and most of that is undecided voters significantly going towards the no change option; if that happens this time then it'll be closer to the older polls. No one quite knows how to model this poo poo though since turnout is uncertain, so take all numbers with a pinch of salt.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

IceAgeComing posted:

that's a lot more undecided voters than in past Scottish polls; its still a fair bit different to other UK polls. If you removed the undecideds then you'd have about a 65/35 result which is very different to the UK one.

In other referendums in the past there's been a late swing towards the status quo and most of that is undecided voters significantly going towards the no change option; if that happens this time then it'll be closer to the older polls. No one quite knows how to model this poo poo though since turnout is uncertain, so take all numbers with a pinch of salt.

I wouldn't be surprised if the number of people who don't bother voting is a lot higher in Scotland. A lot of the people I've talked to about it don't seem to care very much at all.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Coohoolin spotted
http://stv.tv/news/west-central/1357538-chainsaw-wielding-man-chased-labour-councillor-down-street/

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Not in great taste given what happened today

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

I just got polled by Populous very obviously on behalf of the Scottish Conservatives. The lady on the phone was lovely, but when she asked me how I voted in the Scottish elections just past, she didn't understand that you could vote for a different party on the constituency to the list.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Acaila posted:

I just got polled by Populous very obviously on behalf of the Scottish Conservatives. The lady on the phone was lovely, but when she asked me how I voted in the Scottish elections just past, she didn't understand that you could vote for a different party on the constituency to the list.

That's pretty pathetic they didn't even explain to their staff that people might answer with two parties! What did they say/how did they say it that made it obviously fr the Tories? I know it's standard practice, but interesting today in light of the channel 4 news story about "market research" that doubles as campaigning

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

That's interesting. Usually when there's misconceptions about AMS, it's the other way round: a survey in 2003 found that 36% thought they had to vote for a different party on the second vote.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

This person seemed confused there even was a second ballot!
It was internal polling I'm pretty certain rather than market research disguised as campaigning. Phone canvassing is done by party folk, not by hired polling companies.
Some of the policy positions they asked for opinions on were very obvious, and they were keen to get opinions on "who can provide a Strong Opposition to the SNP" type stuff so I caught on pretty quickly.
And then they finished up by asking what issues I thought the Scottish Tories should focus on the most (unfortunately, loving off and never rearing their heads again was not an option)
Best of all I got to answer "why didn't you vote Labour last time" by saying "because the candidate was nasty to my pal on Twitter" and that had to get typed up in full :D

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

https://twitter.com/Ross_Greer/status/745283598895415296?lang=en-gb
https://twitter.com/Ross_Greer/status/745287998636462080?lang=en-gb

Ross Greer is cool in my books.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Holy poo poo Ruth Davidson just lit the Brexit debate up. Weirdly, for a woman named Ruth, she is fuckin' ruthless

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Acaila posted:

This person seemed confused there even was a second ballot!

A friend of mine didn't know there was a second ballot until the day of the election and I told them my opinion on how voting for both parties was counter-productive.

This person also didn't know that 16 year olds could vote.

This person is a teacher.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

duckmaster posted:

A friend of mine didn't know there was a second ballot until the day of the election and I told them my opinion on how voting for both parties was counter-productive.

Only if you're pretty sure the party you're voting for the constituency seat is going to get it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Sion posted:

Holy poo poo Ruth Davidson just lit the Brexit debate up. Weirdly, for a woman named Ruth, she is fuckin' ruthless

In London, every senior tory simultaneously shat their pants watching that performance.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

serious gaylord posted:

In London, every senior tory simultaneously shat their pants watching that performance.

Yeah. Like I have heard rumblings of Boris now going through a contested leadership bid.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I've been missing bonnie Scotland a bit of late and reread Iain Banks' Raw Spirit, a book ostensibly about whisky but really about Banks driving about his favourite bits of the country, self indulgently reminiscing with his pals.

Anyway, what are people's favourite scenic bits of Scotland? Bonus points for fun driving too. I'm thinking about a wee holiday going walking in some out of the way areas, but in the past I've mainly taken in the West Highlands and Cairngorms and would like further ideas.

My own favourite might be Arran, it's like a perfect little microcosm of the country's landscape within an easy two hours of Glasgow. I love Lochaber too but I've spent so much time in Glencoe, Fort William, Glenfinnan and the surroundings in the past and I'd like to branch out a bit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sorry to be clichéd, but I do like Eilean Donan.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Well, anywhere along the railway line from Glasgow to Mallaig is right up there. I have a great fondness for the desolate wasteland of Rannoch Moor. OK, desolate wasteland is a bit much, but it's so empty & peaceful. And as you mentioned, Glenfinnan, Fort William, etc is all very nice too. While living in Glasgow I also loved being able to escape to Balloch & Loch Lomond for a day because it was so close by but still just a different, quieter pace from the big city lights.

And Skye. Skye is really nice. My mother's mother's side of the family come from Glenbrittle on the west coast of the island, along the banks of Loch Brittle, in the shadows of the Cullins. Plus there's Dunvegan, Portree, honestly, the island is just nice.

I've never been but I'd love to get up to Lewis at some point as well. See their amazing beaches first hand. I was really young when I went to Mull but it was pretty spectacular too. Though the thing I remember the most was the ferry to Iona because the sea was the sort of beautiful blue-green that you associate with the Mediterranean or Caribbean rather than the muddy blue of the Moray Firth that I'm used to. It reminded me of taking the ferry from Malta to Gozo. Another spot on my list of places to go to is up the north coast, Bettyhill, Tongue, Durness, Kinlochbervie part of the world.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

I've never been but I'd love to get up to Lewis at some point as well. See their amazing beaches first hand.

No. No, no, no. I've been to Lewis and it's the dreariest place I've ever seen in my life. Given that I grew up in Manchester and spent five years living in Yorkshire before moving to Aberdeen, that's some stiff competition.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Iona is nice.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Skye obviously. For a less jagged beautiful location, Glen Affric is lovely.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jedit posted:

No. No, no, no. I've been to Lewis and it's the dreariest place I've ever seen in my life. Given that I grew up in Manchester and spent five years living in Yorkshire before moving to Aberdeen, that's some stiff competition.

This is a lie. I went on holiday to Harris last year and it was spectacular, endless sandy beaches, great food, nice people. Helps if you like sheep ans weaving though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

Sorry to be clichéd, but I do like Eilean Donan.

It's a very nice castle, though it's a little baffling when people use it as an example of historic Scotland.

Fort William reminds me of Middlesbrough which, while nice, I suspect is not a thing most people would find appealing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

It's a very nice castle, though it's a little baffling when people use it as an example of historic Scotland.

But it was in Highlander and everything!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And would presumably have been almost old enough to draw a pension at the time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

And would presumably have been almost old enough to draw a pension at the time.

Which was why it was a really good location, as it happens. They had the opportunity to film near a relatively authentic looking castle that looked the right age for the period they were shooting as. Unfortunately it also happened to be one of the most recognisable buildings in Scotland.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Go to some islands other than Arran if you haven't already. Islay obviously for the whisky, Skye for the mountains, Lewis for the beaches, and Gigha just because it has a weird Wicker Man vibe to it.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
There's some gorgeous beaches on the other side of Mull, and now the RET is in force it's not that much to take your car across.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I've been to Skye a couple of times but not for some while now, and I could get in Eilean Donan at the same time I suppose. Plus Torridon is close by and there are some hills up there I've had my eye on for years. I liked Harris a lot when I was there (not as good as the Uists though). Lewis I wasn't quite so taken with but that's what you get when you visit Stornoway on a Sunday I guess. It'd be nice to explore some more of the Inner Hebrides, I've only been to Mull and Skye before, but they seem a bit of a pain to get around.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Wildcard prediction - terrible turnout in Scotland, Scotland is the only constituent part of the UK which votes Leave.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Can't see it.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Can't see it.

It's probably unlikely, I'm not going to toxx on it. But still...the referendum has hardly lit up Scotland, and many on the nationalist side who would be more enthusiastic yessers, must really be hoping the UK leaves as surely that will trigger the prophesised Indyref 2.0. They're not going to vote leave, don't be silly...but maybe they'll sit this one out.

The only enthusiastic voters in Scotland will be the Leaves...perhaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I wouldn't be overly surprised if turnout was lower, a lot of people I've spoken to don't seem overly bothered or can't make up their mind - the people I know who live in England seem a lot more engaged with the whole thing.

I do think remain will win up here though.

• Locked thread