Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Grognan posted:

NIMBY's and crazy anti-nuke greens are a group they don't want to piss off as the Democratic party. Fossil fuel companies also oppose nuclear investment from the other party

That's my read of it as well. The Dems do what the environmental lobby says, the Republicans do what the fossil fuel lobby says. Neither of them a have real, pragmatic plan for 21st century energy generation that satisfies both our growing energy demand and our desire to reduce carbon emissions. The Democratic plan will probably produce better results in the end because I don't think Hillary will do anything to seriously thwart fossil fuel energy production, but I wish they could have the cajones to discuss what we really need to do if we want to meet their lofty goal of 100% renewable energy generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

MaxxBot posted:

The Dems do what the environmental lobby says

The reason why nuclear energy isn't doing well in America has very little to do with environmentalists. Many posters in this thread have a mistaken belief that the US environmental lobby is some kind of Illuminati pulling the strings behind the scenes of the US Govt. to thwart the rapid build out of nuclear power plants. But in actuality, environmentalists don't really matter.

Nuclear energy is not the slam dunk technology that people in this thread like to claim. The real reason why nuclear energy is unpopular in the US has to do with the large capital investment needed to build a nuclear power plant and amount of risk associated with doing so, and the long amount of time it takes to build the plant. It is a pretty elaborate and complicated technology, with the potential for things to go very wrong, and so to do it right and to do it safely means that it must be high cost.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 22, 2016

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

It's almost as if it's the sort of project best handled by the government directly. They even have a training pipeline for nuclear engineers, unlike everyone else.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

silence_kit posted:

The reason why nuclear energy isn't doing well in America has very little to do with environmentalists. Many posters in this thread have a mistaken belief that the US environmental lobby is some kind of Illuminati pulling the strings behind the scenes of the US Govt. to thwart the rapid build out of nuclear power plants. But in actuality, environmentalists don't really matter.

Nuclear energy is not the slam dunk technology that people in this thread like to claim. The real reason why nuclear energy is unpopular in the US has to do with the large capital investment needed to build a nuclear power plant and amount of risk associated with doing so, and the long amount of time it takes to build the plant. It is a pretty elaborate and complicated technology, with the potential for things to go very wrong, and so to do it right and to do it safely means that it must be high cost.

I'm willing to accept that there's a lot of economic negatives, but I have to wonder: if it's so incredibly risky, why does anyone in private industry bother with attempting to build nuclear?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Silencr_kit, I think you misread this thread. I've only ever seen level-headed discussion on nuclear power based on real-world examples like existing French programs or discussion on problems like a lack of a standardized, pre-approved turnkey reactor design and SOP in the states that make rollout monstrously expensive, slow, and prone to going over budget.

What I've definitely not seen is some kind of blind "slam dunk" support. Unless there's something you have in mind I've forgotten about?

Edit: vvv I spoke literally one post too soon.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 22, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

silence_kit posted:

Hm. Maybe for profit energy generation is bullshit and utilities should be public infrastructure.

HMMMMMmmmm.

silence_kit posted:

Okay, c'mon now. We've hosed ourselves SO BADLY using the cheapest energy source available forever. Its costs should no longer be a concern, and considering that privatized energy generation basically looks for the next cheapest and dirtiest energy source to make a quick buck, this is a poor reason to bemoan that its not a slam dunk.

Its not only a slam dunk, its got the best safety record exactly for the reason you gave in the last sentence: You can't take shortcuts. At all. Which is what for-profit firms LOVE DOING!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Hm. Maybe for profit energy generation is bullshit and utilities should be public infrastructure.

HMMMMMmmmm.

Okay, c'mon now. We've hosed ourselves SO BADLY using the cheapest energy source available forever. Its costs should no longer be a concern, and considering that privatized energy generation basically looks for the next cheapest and dirtiest energy source to make a quick buck, this is a poor reason to bemoan that its not a slam dunk.

Its not only a slam dunk, its got the best safety record exactly for the reason you gave in the last sentence: You can't take shortcuts. At all. Which is what for-profit firms LOVE DOING!

If we can say "costs shouldn't be a concern" to nuclear, can we say the same thing to renewables, storage, demand mitigation and efficiency?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

If we can say "costs shouldn't be a concern" to nuclear, can we say the same thing to renewables, storage, demand mitigation and efficiency?

They don't have a 2000+ MW solution that they can squeeze in less than 525 acres that can generate continuously.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

They don't have a 2000+ MW solution that they can squeeze in less than 525 acres that can generate continuously.

When did we decide power per acre was the be-all-end-all metric?

If we give nuclear a free pass on resource usage to build, use and replace it, why not give the exact same benefits to renewables, storage, demand reductions and efficiency?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

If we give nuclear a free pass on resource usage to build, use and replace it, why not give the exact same benefits to renewables, storage, demand reductions and efficiency?

Not saying we shouldn't.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

Whenever the party-line nuclear posters discuss their favorite technology in this thread, cost is no object. However, whenever the subject turns to renewable energy, suddenly they all develop a collective obsession with the cost of electricity.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

silence_kit posted:

When the party-line nuclear posters discuss their favorite technology in this thread, cost is no object. However, whenever the subject turns to renewable energy, suddenly they all develop a collective obsession with the cost of electricity.

:ssh: I'm okay with cost not being an object for renewables too, but thanks for playing!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Let he who has numbers on cost per MW cast the first stone.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
What exactly is a party-line nuclear poster?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

CommieGIR posted:

:ssh: I'm okay with cost not being an object for renewables too, but thanks for playing!

Cost is important though. Most people don't really care where their electricity comes from and wouldn't be very pleased to pay either directly or indirectly for higher electricity costs.

If solar PV electricity cost today were the same as it was 20 years ago, it would be really stupid and wasteful to try to generate a non-negligible portion of the US's electricity using solar cells. Its cost still is higher than many would like, but it is still dropping. If anyone has a good prediction for when the cost will stop dropping, I'd be interested in hearing it.

crabcakes66 posted:

What exactly is a party-line nuclear poster?

The majority of posts over the entire history of this thread are posters whining about misguided environmentalists are and about how the US government is at their beck and call, spoiling the rapid expansion of nuclear energy. Also, they say that nuclear energy has absolutely no sociopolitical side effects, would be basically free, quick, and easy to deploy if it weren't for all of that government red tape driving up the cost, while at the same time still be 100% safe and reliable.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 22, 2016

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) - Direct Federal Financial Interventions and Subsidies in Energy in Fiscal Year 2013

Production

Subsidies

Impact

Most of the points silence_kit brings up has been discussed in this thread. I agree that nuclear is an unattractive investment. I wouldn't spend billions to build a nuclear plant to be finished years down the line - when the energy sector will likely have very different dynamics - and then needs another 30-40 years to recoup investment. I have no idea what I can sell electricity for in 5 years let alone decades. However, subsidies are not exactly equally applied to all carbon neutral sources and that might be a constructive first step.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
haha I love that we are too unstable to envision a project that our children would reap the benefits off now.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

silence_kit posted:

The real reason why nuclear energy is unpopular in the US has to do with the large capital investment needed to build a nuclear power plant and amount of risk associated with doing so, and the long amount of time it takes to build the plant. It is a pretty elaborate and complicated technology, with the potential for things to go very wrong, and so to do it right and to do it safely means that it must be high cost.

It's almost as if regulatory ratcheting is a driving factor of capital cost. Peach Bottom 2 and 3 cost about $380 million, in 1974. Limerick 2 was completed in 1988 and cost $2.9 billion. The Dresden 2 and 3 plants in Chicago, built in the early 70s, cost $146/kW of plant, they're GE BWRs. The LaSalle plants, 14 years later, also GE BWRs, cost $1880/kW. Yeah, inflation, but inflation wasn't anywhere near that much over that time interval. Ignoring the cost of regulation when considering capital costs, and then blaming capital costs for the lack of interest while pointedly ignoring what drove that regulation, is pretty shady.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It seems hard to both rely on the US nuclear regulatory regime to prove how safe nuclear is while also arguing those regulations are just a big waste of money.

But then again, I'm not sure how a government operator would have prevented the errors that ruined SONGS and Crystal River 2.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Trabisnikof posted:

It seems hard to both rely on the US nuclear regulatory regime to prove how safe nuclear is while also arguing those regulations are just a big waste of money.

But then again, I'm not sure how a government operator would have prevented the errors that ruined SONGS and Crystal River 2.

The work involved in completing the smallest, most mundane of tasks in the nuclear world is made insanely expensive due to regulation.

I generated a modification package to install room heaters at Fort Calhoun nuclear station. They were in a relatively unimportant room and only being installed for personnel comfort during the frigid winter months (ie not designed to keep critical equipment or pipes from freezing). It was off-the-shelf style air heaters, the kind you'd frequently see in a large warehouse or something.

In a normal environment a couple mechanics could get it and install it in a day, maybe two. The hardest part is that it's 15' above the floor, which might take a little assembly and care. Total cost would probably be a couple grand maybe.

In the nuclear environment, it took me, an engineer contractor, about 3 months to create a mod package with numerous calculations. Seismic calculations, support calculations. I had to demonstrate why this electrical component wasn't a digital asset. I had to do a probable risk assessment to determine how it would impact fire loading.

So to keep people warm in a glorified warehouse garage FCS spent 6 figures.

The other example of how regulations cost money is the tornado wind-driven missile barrier I helped design and built the modification package for. The purpose? In case an EF-5 tornado hits coastal North Carolina, we needed to ensure an adequate shield was in place to protect a few valves and pipe stems on a 52' diameter 30' tall water tank from debris thrown at hundreds of miles per hour.

No EF-5 had struck within 500 miles of that nuclear plant in recorded history. The nearest EF-4 was ~200 miles if memory serves. The highest wind speed ever recorded on site was 88 mph during a hurricane. It was a fool's errand, entirely created because of one-size fits all regulations that required a plant nowhere near a tornadic area to meet the same requirements as a plant in Texas or Nebraska.

The total cost of design and package prep was something like $4M. Building the wall was another few million I think. I have some pictures of it lying around if anyone wanted to see. It's neat.

The original plan was just to build a new hardened water storage tank, a million gallons worth (existing tank was either 250k or 500k gallons, forgot). That was a $40M project, minimum. All to protect several pipes off a water tank from theoretical 500lb wooden decks flying at 150 mph perfectly toward a water tank that's generally shielded on 3 sides by a 120' tall control/reactor building complex that has 3' concrete walls.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Category 4s have hit that section of the Atlantic coast and they can spin up tornadoes. A category 5 is not completely out of the question for the area.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

hobbesmaster posted:

Category 4s have hit that section of the Atlantic coast and they can spin up tornadoes. A category 5 is not completely out of the question for the area.

Hurricanes spawn weaker tornadoes than great Plains mesocyclones. Used to be able to explain why. This plant is ten miles inland too, which reduces the worst of the hurricane effects.

Plus, regulations-wise, this plant was within a few miles of falling under a much more relaxed tornadic status, similar to new England and not Oklahoma. But because it fell on the wrong side of a line, it had a once-in-never tornado to protect against.

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

Pander posted:

It was a fool's errand, entirely created because of one-size fits all regulations that required a plant nowhere near a tornadic area to meet the same requirements as a plant in Texas or Nebraska.

A recurring argument in this thread is that the cost of building and licensing nuclear power plants is so high because each is designed individually, and that it could be reduced if a single design is used for all plants. But now you're saying that one size doesn't fit all. What am I missing?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

I listen to a lot of talk radio and 100% of the liberal hosts I listen to and the environmental guests they invite on are opposed to all forms of base load power and think that we can build a magic grid using solar and wind only. Are all of these people just that dumb or are there more serious arguments for the feasibility of doing this? It seems like there's a serious lack of pragmatic and realistic energy plans coming from the left, the message is just nuclear/coal/natural gas is bad and must be shut down now.

Even the most pie in the sky but still serious tech mags don't try and pretend that it's realistic to transition to a magic solar+wind only electrical grid. It's the kind of thing imagined by people who just don't understand what they're suggesting. They mean well and they're probably not stupid, they just don't understand the problems.

MaxxBot posted:

It's not just talk shows though, that's how all of the environmental groups talk about it and prominent politicians like Bernie Sanders and many others. Even Hillary who has more more moderate positions with respect to natural gas and such seems to imply on her website that we can get by with renewables only, other forms of energy are only mentioned in context of reducing their use. It's flat out impossible to continue reducing the use of coal (which we should do and have been doing for a while) without ramping up natural gas and nuclear, I have to believe that many of these guys understand this but they must just not want to talk about it I guess :confused:. Lots of people out there have really unrealistic beliefs about the power grid and power generation and this poo poo sure isn't helping.

I just found this on Hillary's website, keep in mind she has been criticized from the left on energy a lot during the primary.

quote:

Set national goals to have 500 million solar panels installed; generate enough renewable energy to power every home in America; cut energy waste in homes, schools, and hospitals by a third; and reduce American oil consumption by a third.

I mean it's a nice goal and all for decades from now but to propose this as a realistic plan without giving any details of implementation or explaining how we need decades of R&D and hundreds of billions in infrastructure is pretty irresponsible IMO. If you really want to achieve that goal there needs to be more talk about improving our grid and putting more R&D into energy storage technologies, we're farther behind in both of those areas than we are in developing wind and solar projects.

But that quote doesn't actually seem crazy; "enough renewable energy to power every home in America" does not even come close to implying a 100% renewable grid. Homes are only responsible for around 10% of the country's power consumption. That kind of goal is totally reasonable, and you can even claim to have reached it by just looking at max combined theoretical output. It's made even more reasonable by the latter part of the quote, which focuses on cutting energy waste by a third (again, not an unreasonable goal).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

silence_kit posted:

The majority of posts over the entire history of this thread are posters whining about misguided environmentalists are and about how the US government is at their beck and call, spoiling the rapid expansion of nuclear energy.

Actually this thread is mostly posters complaining about your lovely and completely wrong posts about the nature of this thread's posters. Nearly everything that you've posted on this page has been a hyperbolic made-up argument. Like look at this dumb garbage that you wrote:

silence_kit posted:

Also, they say that nuclear energy has absolutely no sociopolitical side effects, would be basically free, quick, and easy to deploy if it weren't for all of that government red tape driving up the cost, while at the same time still be 100% safe and reliable.

Arguing about the high cost of nuclear regulation is one thing, but lol please provide evidence that a plurality of posters in this thread claim that we should completely deregulate nuclear power and that doing this would make it "basically free" and simultaneously "100% safe". This thread has a fair number of optimistic nuclear proponents but you're just being silly at this point

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I was not going to be as direct, but now that it has been said, yeah Silence_kit I think you have this thread confused with a reddit sub or something.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

silence_kit posted:

Cost is important though. Most people don't really care where their electricity comes from and wouldn't be very pleased to pay either directly or indirectly for higher electricity costs.

If solar PV electricity cost today were the same as it was 20 years ago, it would be really stupid and wasteful to try to generate a non-negligible portion of the US's electricity using solar cells. Its cost still is higher than many would like, but it is still dropping. If anyone has a good prediction for when the cost will stop dropping, I'd be interested in hearing it.

The majority of posts over the entire history of this thread are posters whining about misguided environmentalists are and about how the US government is at their beck and call, spoiling the rapid expansion of nuclear energy. Also, they say that nuclear energy has absolutely no sociopolitical side effects, would be basically free, quick, and easy to deploy if it weren't for all of that government red tape driving up the cost, while at the same time still be 100% safe and reliable.

Solar is not going to be replacing natural gas and coal anytime soon.
I don't know why you don't get that?

Oh, and nobody here who is a proponent for nuclear has honestly suggested totally deregulating nuclear safety standards or construction standards.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 22, 2016

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

silence_kit posted:

Pointing out and arguing against rampant over-regulation is not at all the same as arguing for complete deregulation.

Nuclear power is complicated, dangerous and even potentially catastrophic under careless oversight, it needs to be strongly regulated for safety and consistency.

But, one only needs to look as far as the US 30-40 years ago, or France now, to see a functioning, effective, and balanced level of oversight. It shows that the ridiculous costs of nuclear here are far beyond what they need to be to ensure safety, and that scaling back on that would lower the capital costs.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Again, if a significant portion of the capital cost is capital markets' difficulty in dealing with risk of future energy prices in a very long-term project with extremely front-loaded costs, the government can do it. We can borrow money at barely above inflation, and the worst case scenario is that there's a renewable breakthrough and nuclear plants would be generating at a loss* and pushing down energy prices - still a benefit for the country that's not relevant to private investors.

*Probably not an operational loss since so little is spent on fuel relatively, so they would keep running, just that the project as a whole may not turn a profit.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Trabisnikof posted:

Costs aren't the issue for storage, it's the sheer lack of existence for any serious proposal that can buffer 50% of our power demand overnight without taking an ungodly huge amount of land and resources.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Potato Salad posted:

I was not going to be as direct, but now that it has been said, yeah Silence_kit I think you have this thread confused with a reddit sub or something.

No, I don't. I have been following this thread from the very early beginning, and there is a constant scapegoating of environmentalists as the source of all problems for nuclear energy. But this obsession with environmentalists is stupid--environmentalists don't matter and have very little to do with why the US is not rapidly building nuclear power plants.

We've even had one poster in this thread pray for the death of all environmentalists:

Sinestro posted:

We have a stupid environmentalist problem and a need to get rid of our left over chemical weapons problem. Why can't we put this together?

I'm not the only person in this thread who has noticed this thread's fixation on Greenpeace and the Sierra Club. Forums poster Morbus, who seems pretty knowledgeable about nuclear energy and is not afraid to say things regarding it which contradict this thread's party line, has noticed this too:

Morbus posted:

Its a myth that "low-information liberals" and public outcry are what is holding back the expansion of nuclear power. Nuclear power has been hobbled because it is loving expensive. While the ultimate cost per kWh can be very competitive, the initial investment and maintenance costs are staggering. Additionally, the time from when a new reactor design is submitted for approval and when it is actually up and running can easily span 10-20 years.

. . .

I am about as pro nuclear as it gets. I sincerely believe that, given the options available to us now, nuclear power is the only practical way we can significantly curtail greenhouse gas emissions on a scale large enough to make a difference, at a pace fast enough to make a difference. But I honestly don't see that happening any time soon. And its not because the Mr. Indigo Q Granolas of the world are up in arms about nuclear power--it's because it is very difficult to get these things funded, A.) in the first place, and B.) for long enough to actually see the project to completion.

I mean if you look at the various Gen 3/3+ reactor designs--all of these were designed with the close coordination of nuclear regulatory agencies. They were designed to leverage as much existing knowledge and expertise as possible. They were designed to be simple to construct and maintain, safe, efficient, and economical. And they are all from the late 80's to 90's. Since then, only the ABWR has materialized into actual, working reactors, and only 6 of them, all in Japan, all constructed 10-20 years after the design was completed and approved.

. . .

I mention these reactor designs because they represent the industry's best effort to produce, as quickly as possible, designs that are conservative, rely on extremely well understood and well proven technology, cheap to construct and maintain, and easy to approve. And what we see is that it generally takes about a decade to get the reactor approved anywhere at all, up to another decade for it to be approved in other countries, and best case 5-10 years for the first few reactors to be constructed after regulatory certification, with most others following much later, if at all. We see that projects are often cancelled, sometimes after construction has already begun, for cost reasons. We see that projects routinely go over time and over budget, sometimes dramatically so. And this is with the 3 Gen3/3+ reactors that had the BEST shot at overcoming these problems.

I would recommend reading his other posts in this thread. They are excellent.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

CombatInformatiker posted:

A recurring argument in this thread is that the cost of building and licensing nuclear power plants is so high because each is designed individually, and that it could be reduced if a single design is used for all plants. But now you're saying that one size doesn't fit all. What am I missing?

You are missing the difference between plans going forward and what exists now.

For the future, the ideal path forward is to limit designs to one of a very small number of highly versatile and passively safe modular designs. This reduces the time the NRC requires to do a critical and lengthy safety evaluation.

For existing designs, regulation needs to make more sense. Forcing reactive mass retrofits on safety related equipment is the biggest reason for nuke plants closing lately, for reasons I hinted at in the previous post. Any change to safety related equipment requires months to years of evaluation and back and forth contact with the NRC, an organization that has too much work and too few staff to meet adequate deadlines for engineering safety evaluations.

Modifying the design of new plants to mitigate one-size-fits-all regulations is much easier, cheaper, and faster than retrofitting existing plants to meet them. New plants being passively safe reduces the biggest potential modification money pits. Fewer components to fail, simpler design to review, smaller plant to build, etc.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

silence_kit posted:

We've even had one poster in this thread pray for the death of all environmentalists:

I'm not the only person in this thread who has noticed this thread's fixation on Greenpeace and the Sierra Club. Forums poster Morbus, who seems pretty knowledgeable about nuclear energy and is not afraid to say things regarding it which contradict this thread's party line, has noticed this too:

Ironically, most of us are probably ardent environmentalists.

But groups like Greenpeace (basically a pseudoscience spewing 'Return to Nature' group) and Sierra Club (wealthy group of people who also advocate a return to nature and abandoning technological advances) are serious issues.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Silence_kit I am in a boat similar to him. I don't think environmentalists are the direct cause of most costs for nuclear plants anymore.

They often WERE during plant construction, when local politics could put a partially constructed plant in town hall limbo, triggering extremely expensive delays due to the nature of construction costs and loan repayment schedules.

But we haven't built many lately, and those we (America) build are interested the South, where there is a lot less nimbyism than the northeast.

The current expenses tend toward too-expensive-to-fix equipment failure (SONGS, Crystal River) and modification costs out weighing future revenue (numerous single unit plants around the country).

I argue that regulations are necessary to ensure a potentially dangerous and damaging industrial utility is managed as safely as possible given flawed human natures. Regulations are good.

But they are implemented very poorly, a Gordian knot that's been growing since the fifties without the consolidation or simplification that's necessary to allow the nuclear industry to join the 21st century. Restrictions and requirements on safety related procurements often require plants to replace outdated components with the exact same model.

Since most plants were built in the 70s, this means buying super expensive vintage equipment from nuclear specialized companies who can effectively hold nuclear plants hostage. After all it's still cheaper to pay 5000 bucks for a 50 dollar component than pay people to write a justification for a different replacement.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

silence_kit posted:

I'm glad that you've found such a good example of entirely genuine posting on this very serious forum.

I'll leave the serious discussion to smarter people than me, at least for now.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Trabisnikof posted:

I'd like to see an argument that the regulations under which Limerick 2 was constructed were expensive, but necessary in order to build a safe plant, that doesn't also implicitly argue that Peach Bottom 2 is a death trap and that's why it only cost 1/8th as much.

Because the difference in construction cost sure as hell isn't the type or size of reactor, or the location of it.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

silence_kit posted:

No, I don't. I have been following this thread from the very early beginning, and there is a constant scapegoating of environmentalists as the source of all problems for nuclear energy. But this obsession with environmentalists is stupid--environmentalists don't matter and have very little to do with why the US is not rapidly building nuclear power plants.

If you want to say someone's wrong, find the person saying the wrong thing and say why it's wrong. Making unsupported assertions about the nature of the thread in general is stupid. If the discussion you earnestly want to have is "Should we kill environmentalists with chemical weapons?", I don't know what to tell you.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Phanatic posted:

I'd like to see an argument that the regulations under which Limerick 2 was constructed were expensive, but necessary in order to build a safe plant, that doesn't also implicitly argue that Peach Bottom 2 is a death trap and that's why it only cost 1/8th as much.

Because the difference in construction cost sure as hell isn't the type or size of reactor, or the location of it.

Nah, Browns Ferry is the death trap.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

silence_kit posted:

No, I don't. I have been following this thread from the very early beginning, and there is a constant scapegoating of environmentalists as the source of all problems for nuclear energy[citation needed].

Fixed

silence_kit posted:

We've even had one poster in this thread pray for the death of all environmentalists

You should lurk more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

fishmech posted:

Costs aren't the issue for storage, it's the sheer lack of existence for any serious proposal that can buffer 50% of our power demand overnight without taking an ungodly huge amount of land and resources.

Tell me about it. We finally got solar installed at our place, and we're generating an almost obscene amount of extra electricity during peak hours, though most of our use is pulling off the grid past 10 PM, mainly for EV charging but it's also because we're all home and our housemate (and sometimes me) stays up all night and plays video games :v: It'd be pretty great to get some powerwalls or something and get off the grid entirely, but that isn't exactly a cheap or even arguably environmentally friendly option considering what an environmental disaster lithium mining is.

There are places with so many people and businesses getting solar it's actually causing negative demand on the grid, but solar quite obviously does poo poo-all for overnight use, and storing it on a utility scale is just not a thing that is feasable.

The whole dipshit liberal/environmentalist pie-in-the-sky 100% renewables thing, especially for home and possibly even light commercial, is only impossible because there's no utility-grade power storage. Otherwise, your "average" middle class American family can afford their own power plant that can cover their needs now, but not necessarily a way to store it.