Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
It entirely depends on the State. For instance, in Alaska, you can get a DUI for either "driving or operating" a "watercraft, aircraft or motorized vehicle." "Motorized vehicle" does not include horse and buggy, or dog sled is the more common example up here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Australia has you covered on this one.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...eer-cooler.html

Scroll to the bottom of the article where it turns out this is not in fact the first time an Australian has been convicted for driving a motorized cooler while drunk.

Also, though they were not proven to be drunk:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-17/police-investigate-'motorised-picnic-table'-drivers/6949832

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

areyoucontagious posted:

Okay, then why was Sotomayor so pissed?

because she thought it should be illegal, but 5 other justices disagreed with her.

also with the state of the impending appointment, tempers are probably running high, and also a little bit of Scalia-esque grandstanding going on.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

kedo posted:

I remember reading some articles awhile ago about how legal marijuana dispensaries in CO and WA were having problems storing their money. If I recall correctly, there were (are?) federal laws that prevented banks from working with them. This got me wondering, are there any laws surrounding other types of companies that work with marijuana businesses? For example, if a power company is incorporated in a state where marijuana is illegal and knowingly sells power to Big Jim's Marijuana Emporium in a state where it is legal, would the power company be at risk legally? Or if the marijuana business contracted a printer from another state to produce some coupons or something, would the printer then somehow be supporting illegal drug sales as far as their state is concerned?

Dispensaries were having trouble paying their payroll taxes because they couldn't get bank accounts, and the IRS requires that payroll taxes be paid electronically. There was one guy in Colorado who showed up at the local IRS office with box full of cash every few months to pay his quarterly payroll taxes until one day the IRS office refused to accept the money. Then they slapped him with fines for not submitting his payroll taxes. He sued, and even won, as I recall, so now they can pay their quarterly payroll taxes in boxes full of cash once again.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Guy I used to work with got a dui on horseback in Austin. Got a bum steer award for it too.

I think he eventually got off on it tho

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

EwokEntourage posted:

Guy I used to work with got a dui on horseback in Austin. Got a bum steer award for it too.

I think he eventually got off on it tho

There's no way getting off on a horse is legal in Texas.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

What if just the horse is inebriated?

Uhh, asking for a friend.

Then the horse can't consent. Also

FrozenVent posted:

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

FrozenVent posted:

This is Texas. No way it isn't legal

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
How has this conversation gone this far without someone looking up the relevant statutes?

(a) A person commits an offense if he knowingly engages in any of the following acts in a public place or, if not in a public place, he is reckless about whether another is present who will be offended or alarmed by his:
(1) act of sexual intercourse;
(2) act of deviate sexual intercourse;
(3) act of sexual contact;  or
(4) act involving contact between the person's mouth or genitals and the anus or genitals of an animal or fowl.
(b) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

So it's quite alright in Texas to stick your dick in a pig's mouth even in public.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Gobbeldygook posted:

So it's quite alright in Texas to stick your dick in a pig's mouth even in public.

David Cameron approves.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

areyoucontagious posted:

I have a question about this case. What made the cop's stop illegal here? I was curious about it and figured that since the cop lacked cause to stop the guy, he couldn't legally ask for the guy's ID (or rather that the guy didn't legally have to comply with such an order). But then I read that Utah had "stop and identify" laws. Since the cop can make a legal order to request ID, which is what led to this guy's detainment and prosecution, was this really an illegal stop in the first place?

The stop and identify statute doesn't come into play unless the cop has reasonable suspicion that dude is committing or has committed a crime. The cop didn't have that. The cop could have a "voluntary encounter" with dude, do long as dude was free to leave. The cop didn't do that. In this case dude was not free to leave, making it a seizure for 4th amendment purposes.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

ulmont posted:

Bicycling depends on the state (although it's still probably public intoxication, those penalties are usually somewhat below DUI).
http://bikeleague.org/content/bike-law-university-riding-under-influenc

How do you cut pineapple like a badass? I just have a special took that cores out the entire pineapple into one long slinky, which I slice across each way to turn into chunks.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Centripetal Horse posted:

How do you cut pineapple like a badass? I just have a special took that cores out the entire pineapple into one long slinky, which I slice across each way to turn into chunks.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/knife-skills-how-to-cut-a-pineapple.html

As a bonus, here's how to cut pineapple like a machine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhRmwCnc-xw

As a further aside, if any "friends" ask you how buying avatars works, lie to them.

ChromiumCrush
Sep 6, 2010
Ah poo poo, I'm sorry guys I think I just hosed up.

I just posted a new thread titled "Tell me the best way to find a good lawyer", before I read the sticky. My bad.

I started to write out the details of my case, but that doesn't seem so important, and potentially damaging. The short of it is, it is a Simple Battery charge against myself that may have been filed to prevent a greater charge against the perpetrator/victim.

I'd like to hire a good criminal lawyer in Chicago. I posted my case to "LegalMatch.com" and immediately received numerous calls and emails including calls on evening weekend nights. I kinda figure the type of lawyer who will blow up your phone at midnight on a Saturday doesn't have the success rate I'm looking for. Meanwhile I checked out lawyers on Avvo.com, but I get a fake review vibe from a lot of their results and often the lawyers there don't have reviews from any clients who have hired them.

What is the best way to seek out legal representation?

ChromiumCrush fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 23, 2016

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
https://imgur.com/a/skffp

There is no way this is real right?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Correct. Neither judges nor defendants ever behave badly.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Joat's being facetious so I'll post the link he found.

http://www.northwestgeorgianews.com...f831c18729.html

I thought it went on pretty long to be real, especially when the guy started threatening to murder the judge, but apparently it's all real.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Every time I think I found my favorite quote, I keep reading and find another. "You know what, you have a constitutional right to be a dumbass." Can you imagine being the court reporter, having to type all that?

Is there any merit to him wanting the discovery items he said his lawyer didn't give him?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
A guy that starts his statement with "I want to get a new lawyer because this one said he'll only represent me if I let him suck my dick" is probably not right in the head and I'm going to side with his attorney on any discovery provided.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
I never thought I'd be posting here looking for advice, but:

I have Social Security Disability and SSI. Long story short, through it I get Medicare and Medicaid, so I need to keep both. (Also, I'm what's known as a disabled adult child, so getting back on disability after I get off it would be...really hard to say the least.)

I work for LiveOps (work from home thing found on the legitimate online moneymaking thread). I've been offered a position that pays 29 cents per minute of talktime, but requires a minimum of 30 hours a week committed from me. Basically, even presuming I'm on the phones 30 minutes out of every 60, I sail over the $810 per month max I can earn with SSI. (At 45 min per talktime for every hour, I wind up with like $1566 per month.) We explicitly do not want to trigger trial work periods or anything like that for various reasons, mostly because we want to keep those for if I ever get a job that has career potential. (Stuff with LiveOps is not career-potential, but it pays the bills.)

My dad wants me to talk to someone *not* affiliated with social security about this...Because SSA you can't tell you're trying to evade the work rules, basically.

So far so good, I figure. Except that to my knowledge there's no such creature except a disability lawyer, I point out. For various reasons, my dad doesn't want to go through one of those, in part because there's no way the fees would be worth it.

Then mom, noted repeater of "stuff she heard somewhere but doesn't remember where", tells me there are such people...but that she doesn't know where to find them and tells me to "just look it up on the internet". Exact words, BTW.

I've looked, and looked, and looked, using every permutation of "social security disability consultants" I can think of. Basically there's not much telling me if my mom is peddling BS or if she's on to something.

Help, lawyer people?

Spacewolf fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 23, 2016

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

There are lots of lawyers who socialize in ssa/ssdi law.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Ok. Long, complicated MN elder/vulnerable adult law question here. Just for the record, I will be talking to a lawyer and the relevant ombudsman soon, but I want to figure out as much as I can before triggering any action or investigation.

My grandma (elderly) lives with my aunt A, A's husband B (elderly and disabled), and A and B's eldest son, C (very disabled). Their disabled daughter D lives nearby, and their youngest son E (also lives nearby) is the caretaker of record for his older siblings, and possibly his dad. E is licensed and paid by the state for this.
My grandma has given all financial control to A, and she runs the household finances. As near as I can tell, the family mostly lives on state benefits and A's (not great) income.

At some point in the past couple years, Family Friend F comes into the picture. I don't know a lot of facts about how or when he got involved with the family, but here is the current situation:
-F lives, rent-free, in a room in Grandma's basement apartment.
-F is a "dog psychologist" who wrangles the 4-5 dogs that are usually around. One of these dogs bit my grandfather hard enough to draw blood, so now grandpa won't come over to the house where his daughter and grandson live. Actually several members of the family don't come over anymore because F is a huge dick (legally irrelevant, I guess).
-F keeps these dogs mostly in the attached garage, which is also his workshop for his "business" restoring two specific models of cars. The rest of the family no longer has use of the garage.
-A apparently bought one of these cars as an "investment" in F's "brand." She has nothing documenting this as an investment, no promise of return or anything, just the title.
-F keeps everyone's meds on track and helps out around the house, keeps grandma active, etc. Fine, whatever. However, he's getting an undisclosed amount of money (on top of room/board/workshop space) each month for this. He and A both denied this at first and then admitted to it after further pressing, and grandma has no idea he's getting any money.

So...yeah. He apparently also has a legal history full of DUIs and evictions, there are some suspicions that he stole a significant amount of money from the family, he and E have pretty significant beef too.
Grandma and A are both devoted to this guy, but all of this screams SCAM SCAM SCAMMER to me. Because B, C, and D are all vulnerable adults and dependent to one degree or another, I think this is a clear case of financial abuse. In addition, E is the caretaker of record, and is being pushed out, while F takes money for the work E should be doing.

So...recommendations for MN elder lawyers? State resources? Other ways this guy is loving over my family in ways I haven't noticed?

I live out of state, which makes this more difficult. I also know that all this is really E's responsibility, but he's too close and too passive. My family is really pretty terrible at doing things.

Sorry this is so e/n, I'm just having a hard time handling this. Any help would be amazing!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

A guy that starts his statement with "I want to get a new lawyer because this one said he'll only represent me if I let him suck my dick" is probably not right in the head and I'm going to side with his attorney on any discovery provided.

I worded that poorly. Would there be any merit to wanting those documents if you're not a crazy person?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

NancyPants posted:

I worded that poorly. Would there be any merit to wanting those documents if you're not a crazy person?

he thinks he didnt get the documents because he is a crazy person. he definitely got whatever his attorney had. it may also have been a jailhouse lawyer tactic to try to get his trial bumped.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

blarzgh posted:

he thinks he didnt get the documents because he is a crazy person. he definitely got whatever his attorney had. it may also have been a jailhouse lawyer tactic to try to get his trial bumped.

Like his lawyer may have put him up to it, or he took it upon himself to try to bump his trial?

Does anyone know what Nebraska small claims is like? Lawsuit is the last resort but I want to know what I could be in for to determine if it's worth it. If it's like Texas, it's not worth it. e: it's very cheap to file and no lawyers are allowed, also $3600 is the max award. This is good, right?

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 24, 2016

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Like some inmate who fancies himself a legal expert stuck a bug in crazy guy's ear. Or more likely, crazy guy came up with it himself, as he has a history of similar legal hijinks.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
So is Britain up for a rude awakening or what

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

xxEightxx posted:

So is Britain up for a rude awakening or what

Legally speaking? Nah, they can go back to selling widgets by the hogshead and bendy bananas again. They don't need to worry about the acquis communitaire no more.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Unless they want to actually sell things in the EU, right?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Wonder how many people are going to try and invoke force majeure to renegotiate their contracts.

Jul 31, 2011
Edit:
Bummer. Thanks, FordPRefectLL!

753951 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 24, 2016

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Clerical errors don't invalidate tickets

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

The Mandingo posted:

Unless they want to actually sell things in the EU, right?

True. You occasionally hear of US politicians complaining that US companies have to follow EU regs to be able to sell there, and anyone doing business in the UK with the EU is going to have to comply with their requirements.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm in Belfast, but having finally obtained my training contract, I'm due to start the LPC in Manchester in September. Can anyone advise me on what the LPC course is like? I have done an LLM - how similar is it? Also, I'm going to be doing it part-time, which means I'm going over basically at daybreak on Saturday mornings, doing all the classes, then going home in the evening. Has anyone done this? If so, any advice?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm in Belfast, but having finally obtained my training contract, I'm due to start the LPC in Manchester in September. Can anyone advise me on what the LPC course is like? I have done an LLM - how similar is it? Also, I'm going to be doing it part-time, which means I'm going over basically at daybreak on Saturday mornings, doing all the classes, then going home in the evening. Has anyone done this? If so, any advice?

You might ask the lawyer thread

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

FordPRefectLL posted:

Clerical errors don't invalidate tickets

They can when the cop writes the ticket for a street address that doesn't exist. (Personal experience.)

E: obvs that's for parking tickets.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Not necessarily. A citation is not a charging instrument and it doesn't have to be dismissed just because the officer filled in incorrect information. As long as the complaint is accurate and the officer's testimony backs up the correct location a prosecutor can remediate errors on the citation itself during trial. You of course have the right to bring up the citation as evidence in trial and ask the citing officer why they hosed up, but their testimony will probably be "I hosed up."

We had this happen all the time with our non-motors officers. The Traffic guys knew their city blocks and makes/models intimately but a Patrol officer might occasionally screw up a street address or misidentify the color of a car at night or transpose the address of the defendant and the location of the offense. All of these things can be fixed. The only thing I'd consider material is identifying the wrong defendant and even then the officer can dismiss and reissue with a summons to the correct defendant. If the officer writes you a ticket to another person's name and doesn't have any recollection of your name you can probably get off scot-free as long as you're not dumb enough to actually show up and be physically identified.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

QuelleFuck posted:

Ok. Long, complicated MN elder/vulnerable adult law question here. Just for the record, I will be talking to a lawyer and the relevant ombudsman soon, but I want to figure out as much as I can before triggering any action or investigation.

My grandma (elderly) lives with my aunt A, A's husband B (elderly and disabled), and A and B's eldest son, C (very disabled). Their disabled daughter D lives nearby, and their youngest son E (also lives nearby) is the caretaker of record for his older siblings, and possibly his dad. E is licensed and paid by the state for this.
My grandma has given all financial control to A, and she runs the household finances. As near as I can tell, the family mostly lives on state benefits and A's (not great) income.

At some point in the past couple years, Family Friend F comes into the picture. I don't know a lot of facts about how or when he got involved with the family, but here is the current situation:
-F lives, rent-free, in a room in Grandma's basement apartment.
-F is a "dog psychologist" who wrangles the 4-5 dogs that are usually around. One of these dogs bit my grandfather hard enough to draw blood, so now grandpa won't come over to the house where his daughter and grandson live. Actually several members of the family don't come over anymore because F is a huge dick (legally irrelevant, I guess).
-F keeps these dogs mostly in the attached garage, which is also his workshop for his "business" restoring two specific models of cars. The rest of the family no longer has use of the garage.
-A apparently bought one of these cars as an "investment" in F's "brand." She has nothing documenting this as an investment, no promise of return or anything, just the title.
-F keeps everyone's meds on track and helps out around the house, keeps grandma active, etc. Fine, whatever. However, he's getting an undisclosed amount of money (on top of room/board/workshop space) each month for this. He and A both denied this at first and then admitted to it after further pressing, and grandma has no idea he's getting any money.

So...yeah. He apparently also has a legal history full of DUIs and evictions, there are some suspicions that he stole a significant amount of money from the family, he and E have pretty significant beef too.
Grandma and A are both devoted to this guy, but all of this screams SCAM SCAM SCAMMER to me. Because B, C, and D are all vulnerable adults and dependent to one degree or another, I think this is a clear case of financial abuse. In addition, E is the caretaker of record, and is being pushed out, while F takes money for the work E should be doing.

So...recommendations for MN elder lawyers? State resources? Other ways this guy is loving over my family in ways I haven't noticed?

I live out of state, which makes this more difficult. I also know that all this is really E's responsibility, but he's too close and too passive. My family is really pretty terrible at doing things.

Sorry this is so e/n, I'm just having a hard time handling this. Any help would be amazing!

Bump for a new page. No longer considering contacting the ombudsman to trigger an investigation unless things go seriously cockeyed, but still working on finding a local lawyer to handle it civilly. Our main goal for now is to get something to the discovery phase, so we can figure out what is really going on with the household's finances re:shithead.

And honestly this is all really difficult. I really would appreciate talking to someone knowledgable. Any advice or references or referrals would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Have you looked to see the Minnesota bar has a lawyer search service? You might just have to call around