Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grace
Dec 18, 2015

C'MON SOMETHING AWFUL LETS GET SICK'NIIIIIING

NikkolasKing posted:

How could they produce t.A.T.u. then? Granted, the girls weren't actually lesbians, but they were marketed on that image, which would go against the idea the nation is intensely homophobic.

One outlier group from the early aughts doesn't negate the documented homophobia and homophobic policies Russia has enforced and still enforces today

if Dan and I were Russian we'd so be in jail for gay propaganda because of these LPs :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

How could they produce t.A.T.u. then? Granted, the girls weren't actually lesbians, but they were marketed on that image, which would go against the idea the nation is intensely homophobic.

You never watched the "all the things she said" music video, have you? tATu got more than their fair of poo poo from the Russian population, including their producer.
The reason they are still a pop symbol is because
1) they were legit talented and their songs are drat catchy
2) they were both hot chicks
3) they basically were part of a counterculture which had problems with a thieving government more than it did with the gays.

With the success of their songs, Russia couldn't very well say "no we don't like them they're gay" they of course went "yeah our girls woo!"

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Plus things here only got worse since the time they were popular.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

You never watched the "all the things she said" music video, have you? tATu got more than their fair of poo poo from the Russian population, including their producer.
The reason they are still a pop symbol is because
1) they were legit talented and their songs are drat catchy
2) they were both hot chicks
3) they basically were part of a counterculture which had problems with a thieving government more than it did with the gays.

With the success of their songs, Russia couldn't very well say "no we don't like them they're gay" they of course went "yeah our girls woo!"

Huh. Well my knowledge of Russia is mostly based around the October Revolution and politics so I'll take your word for it. I know practically zero about modern Russian society. Sad to say, t.A.T.u. is about all I got and they aren't even modern anymore. Well, I know aboutPutin but I like the former more.

And I didn't expect to find many t.A.T.u. fans on here. I always liked them, too.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
We'll be streaming in ten or so minutes! http://www.hitbox.tv/Danaru

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That stream was fun. Thanks for the ride.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play MGSV Phantom Pain Episode 3 - How You Do It Is Up To You

We find both Mr. Kojima and a puppy in this episode. It was a good time

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Fine, Dan, if you want the nitpicking to be more equal we can go down that road.

There are totally diamonds in America, Grace!

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Have you ever considered having Grace try to beat a mission? The PS4 has Share Play, after all.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Fun fact, the Soviet Union decriminalized homosexuality in 1917, then re-criminalized it in 1933. It's the one stain on Stalin's otherwise perfect record.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Man... that prologue made me long for the days when games seemed less/cartoonishly violent if only due to the weaker graphics. On the bright side, Kirby Gear is really good. It takes all of the great things from Triple Deluxe and throws a mech and fun new abilities on top of it :)

By the way, how many times are we going to hear "how you do it is up to you" or some variation thereof throughout this LP?

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
It is good that you found Dan Jr./Bestest friend right away.

And I eagerly await for more Grace playing as Raiden.

Also Dan, I think it was in the Super Mario World videos, but you totally left yourself open to that... shall I say... White hot phosphorus burn from Grace. :v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Technically burns that hot should be considered a crime, but since Dan and Grace are mixing love and war for the lp, I guess all's fair? :v:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Captain Bravo posted:

Technically burns that hot should be considered a crime, but since Dan and Grace are mixing love and war for the lp, I guess all's fair? :v:

Domestic abuse is no joke.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play MGSV Phantom Pain Episode 5 - Liquid Grace

Grace has an entire drink of liquer and gets completely shitfaced. I on the other hand get upset that I'm drinking warm garbage while he gets an actually good drink :mad:

Also some weird twitchy jerks show up and I fight them or something.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Liquid Grace is so drat jolly.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I wasn't there in the stream but if you're curious, the conversation between the dude and the interpretor was

Sold: "Hey you speak English? That's not easy to do [this line is totally natural and was in no way translated from another language no sir]. They ride you hard in the Foreign Division, huh? I see you up at night all the time."
Int: "Yeah I translate foreign papers and journals. Nowdays I even think in English" *
S: "Seriously? Hey, do you think you could teach me some sick phrase, in case I meet an American"
I: "Uhh...alright, repeat after me"
I'll skip ahead**
I: "Hey you're not bad!"
S: "seriously? So uh...what does it mean?"
I: "It means "I'm a friend of a friend" "
S: "Oh yeah that can definitely come in handy. You know, any one thing will probably change this Cold War."
I: "Definitely. These words could save your life someday"
S: "Yeah maybe. Hey teach me something else next time, okay?"
I: "Of course. Alright, see ya."

*As a guy whose original language was Russian, I find this line very interesting. English is, for all intents and purposes, my native tongue. I can read, write and talk much more easily and naturally in English since I learned it at a young age. I also think in English, not in Russian. Other people who learned English later in their life, still think in their native tongue, so that's kind of an interesting bit of depth to add to a guy.
**I may or may not have done this to people myself. Multiple times. Look you get annoyed when someone asks you to say "hello" in another language for the 30th time that day.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 22, 2016

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

quote:

-1 drink when Miller says "you're extracting HIM?"

Does 25:50 of the last video count? I only remember hearing "You going to [Voice actor 'gunnu'] extract him?"

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Silent Basilisk doesn't have parasites. He actually clinically mute, which is why he doesn't get infected by the parasites.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The Skulls fight was actually really competent. I would have died there. Well done Dan.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

*As a guy whose original language was Russian, I find this line very interesting. English is, for all intents and purposes, my native tongue. I can read, write and talk much more easily and naturally in English since I learned it at a young age. I also think in English, not in Russian. Other people who learned English later in their life, still think in their native tongue, so that's kind of an interesting bit of depth to add to a guy.

One of my teachers back in high school once told us about the time he spent a few years in Russia, and after even such a short time he found himself thinking in Russian. Maybe it just depends on how much you get to use the one over the other?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Zomborgon posted:

Does 25:50 of the last video count? I only remember hearing "You going to [Voice actor 'gunnu'] extract him?"

Yeah that's the line, also remember Grace's single job in this LP is to keep track of when he says that :v:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Danaru posted:

Yeah that's the line, also remember Grace's single job in this LP is to keep track of when he says that :v:

So every time grace misses that line, he has to drink at the start of the next session, right?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play MGSV Phantom Pain Episode 5 - An S-Rank Episode

Miller, you and I have to have a chat about this ranking thing

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

In honor of 23:00 in the latest video, I'm requesting a name change for the thread to Allahu Akbar: Let's Play IED Simulator :getin:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So you got the three awesome dudes and some other really good dude in that one mission?

hoonigan_neil
Feb 25, 2014

I nearly lost a beer through my nose at that attempted brake check. drat Sunday drivers. Unaware of tanks exploding behind them. Oblivious to the lunatic on a horse attempting to mow down their passengers. Too busy texting to look up in time to avoid rear ending the guy in front of them. Reminds me of my daily commute.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
There's an amusing fact about using D-Horse and indeed vehicles in general as a roadblock: it will only work if they're facing the road. Being laid out horizontally will cause the enemy cars to just ram into and through it like it doesn't exist.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

ScandiHoonigan posted:

I nearly lost a beer through my nose at that attempted brake check. drat Sunday drivers. Unaware of tanks exploding behind them. Oblivious to the lunatic on a horse attempting to mow down their passengers. Too busy texting to look up in time to avoid rear ending the guy in front of them. Reminds me of my daily commute.

Seriouisly I've done this mission dozens of times doing that exact thing, and they usually stop the jeep and see what the hell just happened :psyduck: With that said I'm glad it happened because it was hilarious in hindsight :v:

Unknown Quantity posted:

There's an amusing fact about using D-Horse and indeed vehicles in general as a roadblock: it will only work if they're facing the road. Being laid out horizontally will cause the enemy cars to just ram into and through it like it doesn't exist.

:shepface: I somehow never knew this, I must have just been lucky about my vehicle facing whenever I did that

Also unrelated but a big shout out to Zylche for being a cool dude

This totally makes up for you also buying me Bad Rats

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I've been catching up with your stuff again, as always listening to you two bullshit is surprisingly relaxing.

I also love wildly inconsistent retro future aesthetics. Like wearing your LCD sports watch on a bionic arm.

Dan out of 10 with the realistic representation of everyone's clever C4 plans gone awry... Or at least, most of mine :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play MGSV Phantom Pain Episode 6 - Blow me, Miller

Back Up Back Down would be a fun mission if you didn't have to restart the whole drat thing if you lose at any point. We'll come back to that once we have +Cargo2 and EMN mines.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm irrationally bothered that Russian soldiers call a near-naked female sniper "Tihij" seeing as that's a masculine adjective ("Tihaja" would be the feminine version and "tihoje" would be neutral). Tishina (Quiet/silence as a noun) would be much better as it's feminine and you can make stupid puns like "napalla Tishina" (Normally used as in "a hush fell over" but in this case it would mean "Quiet attacked")

Seriously Kojima I am loving disappointed talk about a missed opportunity.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 28, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Danaru posted:

Back Up Back Down would be a fun mission if you didn't have to restart the whole drat thing if you lose at any point. We'll come back to that once we have +Cargo2 and EMN mines.

Yeah. That mission is really unfortunate. And either you do the mission professionally, by hiding out at the tanks target location, or you ride your horse like a mad mad while spamming rockets. The later is really really fun, but D-Horse really likes to jump into that river trench, if you go just a bit to close to it. In that case either you loose a lot of time, climbing back up, or you straight up die from the fall. it's also really great to get killed by the gunship at the very end. Eventually I just said "gently caress this!", blew up one single tank and lit a cigarette to pass the time. Technically that's also winning.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
So a thing I always wondered: how does the story change if Quiet has never been recruited? Like, that kind of fucks over Skullface's ace in the hole if Quiet isn't on Mother Base, not to mention you wouldn't get the scenes foreshadowing the parasite stuff.

EDIT: Alternatively, it seems possible to just run right past her and never bother with the fight.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 29, 2016

White Coke
May 29, 2015

SSNeoman posted:

I'm irrationally bothered that Russian soldiers call a near-naked female sniper "Tihij" seeing as that's a masculine adjective

But how else would Kojima encourage the people who thought Quiet was secretly a transitioned Chico?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

It would have made me so happy to have seen Big Boss field-strip Quiet's pistol when she pulled it out post-capture.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

So now that it's happened like, three times, I have to ask:

Dan, why do you keep pulling prisoners out of the jeeps? All you have to do is hop in, and drive away, but you keep stopping to pull these dudes out of perfectly functional vehicles, while under enemy fire, and then run away with them on foot.

Edit:

Grace, in the video posted:

Does he even know who he's contacting!?

This is Huey, we're talking about. The man who was willing to betray Big Boss. Say what you will about the man, he's got stones.

Double Edit:

Let's Play MGSV Phantom Pain Episode 6 - The one where Dan sucker-punches a woman
:v:

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 30, 2016

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
I would also suggest trying to just fulton the cars with the people inside them but I don't think he has the small car fulton upgrade yet, and there's at least one mission where the game will dick you over and automatically make your extraction target fall out of the car and die if you try to airlift them via car.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Driving vehicles in this game kinda sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Captain Bravo posted:

So now that it's happened like, three times, I have to ask:

Dan, why do you keep pulling prisoners out of the jeeps? All you have to do is hop in, and drive away, but you keep stopping to pull these dudes out of perfectly functional vehicles, while under enemy fire, and then run away with them on foot.

While things went poorly this time around, in my own painful experience trying to simply hop in and drive away with a jeep while already under enemy fire is a fast recipe for the AI developing a sudden knack for long distance headshots, or pushing it over the edge into burning riiiight as you start to get going so if you get out it will be an action dive and the burning jeep continues on with the prisoner.

It can work, it SHOULD work, but because of Video Games it's often more reliable to grab the guy, and treat the jeep as low cover while you pitch yourself and your buddy into the nearest ditch.

Plus special bonus round: When Miller bitches at you for "Failing" the mission because you escaped with the prisoner you were supposed to escape with by jeep/truck.