Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Don't torture yourself like this. Swap stuff from the old horde to the new.

Like say you make a new horde out of one that Sigvald was leading. Put Sigvald in charge of the new horde, and transfer all his old units over as well. Now Sigvald has his exact same force, which he'll need because can't train anything new for a while, but he is applying his +growth buff to the new horde (every Chaos lord should max horde growth in short order). Meanwhile Dipshit McBansheeBait the level 1 lord is in charge of the old horde, which can train an entire new army on the spot because it has all the buildings.

The only downside is that until you get the new horde developed you are paying big maintenance on that army because you don't have any of upkeep reduction structures. But really you have no business making a new horde without a huge stockpile anyway.

Wait, what? loving hell, I totally missed this. Somehow I thought that the camp itself was directly tied to the lord.

So I was transferring my old army to the new lord (the only way he'd survive for 3 turns), but then I had to run away with the old lord who's invariably now being hunted by 3 different empires across half the map on march stance, trying to gain enough ground to stop and recruit for a turn out of every 3.

Thanks for the tip.

KM Scorchio posted:

How come every time I lose a battle my whole army gets killed outright but defeating an AI army always results in them limping away with heavily damaged units, at least until I follow up for a second attack?

Your army should only be killed outright by a battle loss if:

1. You already lost a battle this turn.

2. You retreated from an attack on the strategic map.

I think it can also happen if you're cornered by the terrain, but I might be making that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

ZoninSilver posted:

So since I basically only got him at the end of the dwarf campaign and never got the chance to level him, I tried a quest battle with the slayer king. Went pretty well I think!

The Vampire Counts tried to corner Ungrim. The rest of the army fled due to me horrifically overestimating how fast I could kill the reinforcements that came from behind, but I managed to use him to bitch slap a few lords and Mannfred himself, and then just survived the endless onslaught until the timer ran out. The Slayer King gives no fucks :black101:

Jacco
Sep 2, 2008
So wheres the mod for multiplayer that lets me start by my friend?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Anyone else hate having fun? Because if so, have I got the battle for YOU!

The 2nd army there was 80% pistoliers.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

To be fair, that setup seems like it would be really, really hard to beat.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Chomp8645 posted:

Don't torture yourself like this. Swap stuff from the old horde to the new.

Like say you make a new horde out of one that Sigvald was leading. Put Sigvald in charge of the new horde, and transfer all his old units over as well. Now Sigvald has his exact same force, which he'll need because can't train anything new for a while, but he is applying his +growth buff to the new horde (every Chaos lord should max horde growth in short order). Meanwhile Dipshit McBansheeBait the level 1 lord is in charge of the old horde, which can train an entire new army on the spot because it has all the buildings.

The only downside is that until you get the new horde developed you are paying big maintenance on that army because you don't have any of upkeep reduction structures. But really you have no business making a new horde without a huge stockpile anyway.

how do you move an existing lord into a different army

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Actually it would be kind of amazing to see all that artillery fire at once

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

President Ark posted:

how do you move an existing lord into a different army

The boot button down the bottom right of the general's details screen will let you replace him. It will take a few turns before he's available but then you can assign him to the new army.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Jacco posted:

On the campaign map? That's a pretty dumb idea considering each race/faction has a set home start in the lore. This isn't Civ 5.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Verranicus posted:

On the campaign map? That's a pretty dumb idea considering each race/faction has a set home start in the lore. This isn't Civ 5.

It lets you play as both LLs of the same faction

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Jacco posted:

This mod lets your buddy play as a different legendary lord of the same race, no idea if this is what you're talking about.

Jacco
Sep 2, 2008

Verranicus posted:

Yes sorry I cant be another dwarf faction and my friend a different dwarf faction. What a stupid idea to want to start out by your friend.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Verranicus posted:

:goonsay:

You want Legendary Lords Unique Starting Position. It's great if you want cooperation in your Co op game.

Phone posting, so hope this works : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=689956899

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Noo why can't Zhufbar and Karak Kadrin be friends, you guys are supposed to be my buffer states.

Zhufbar keeps asking me to join their war but I refused. I'm on better terms with them than Kadrin but Kadrin seems stronger. Who's it more useful to have a buffer against as VC, the Greenskins or Chaos?

Jacco
Sep 2, 2008

Exactly what I was looking for!

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Deified Data posted:

Noo why can't Zhufbar and Karak Kadrin be friends, you guys are supposed to be my buffer states.

Zhufbar keeps asking me to join their war but I refused. I'm on better terms with them than Kadrin but Kadrin seems stronger. Who's it more useful to have a buffer against as VC, the Greenskins or Chaos?

Neither, just torch them all. It's not worth making friends with dwarves ever because they will randomly be dicks and betray you. This is because as VC you can never completely wipe the red part of the diplo screen with them, with aversion, so they'll randomly generate grudges against you until you're at like +100 friendly. Anywhere in yellow or barely green can see them instant-wiping all treaties for no reason other than the -40 aversion existing.

The only way to keep that from happening is basically to keep shoveling gold into them but then you have to ask yourself if it's worth doing that over just razing them. Even as empire the dwarves are likely to dick you over eventually if you don't gold gift them though at least there you can have so many modifiers on the trade you can get with them that gifting them gold is still a net gain after killing them.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

shalcar posted:

It's great if you want cooperation in your Co op game.

Well said. I did empire/dwarfs with a buddy and while the feature to let your friend control some of your units is really cool, we had a grand total of one battle in which we both had our own armies and the AI only had the one stack so it was a total stomp. Definitely gonna try this mod out next time.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

unwantedplatypus posted:

Actually it would be kind of amazing to see all that artillery fire at once

The sound was the best/worst part. It was a constant whistle from the rocket batteries. Like a loving WWII Soviet barrage.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

The sound was the best/worst part. It was a constant whistle from the rocket batteries. Like a loving WWII Soviet barrage.

Do you happen to have a replay? I kind of want to see that play out (although I assume it was mostly taking a bunch of losses at range before charging their arty line and routing everything).

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Gitro posted:

Do you happen to have a replay? I kind of want to see that play out (although I assume it was mostly taking a bunch of losses at range before charging their arty line and routing everything).

If you're in it for the spectacle there are a bunch of videos of people pitting artillery against chaff, e.g. 200 Hellstorms v. 6000 zombies.

Stalin would be so proud. :ussr:

Mordja fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 22, 2016

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Decus posted:

Neither, just torch them all. It's not worth making friends with dwarves ever because they will randomly be dicks and betray you. This is because as VC you can never completely wipe the red part of the diplo screen with them, with aversion, so they'll randomly generate grudges against you until you're at like +100 friendly. Anywhere in yellow or barely green can see them instant-wiping all treaties for no reason other than the -40 aversion existing.

The only way to keep that from happening is basically to keep shoveling gold into them but then you have to ask yourself if it's worth doing that over just razing them. Even as empire the dwarves are likely to dick you over eventually if you don't gold gift them though at least there you can have so many modifiers on the trade you can get with them that gifting them gold is still a net gain after killing them.

Dwarves were my bffs in my vampire campaign we poo poo all over the orcs and then took turns kicking Chaos in the balls while the kingdoms of men wet themselves

Vamps/Dorfs bros fo lyfe

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Dandywalken posted:

I would actually like to play this one out. If you are lucky you could vanguard deploy all your NG archers and spider riders close enough to the artillery to totally wreck them before they could do much of anything. The knights would be a bit of a problem, but one unit of spider riders should be able to tie them up (poison slows so they should be able to keep your distance). Another option is just to hide them off to the side, hide your main army, and charge the siege behind the enemy lines.

Another tactic that might work is to hide your entire army behind a hill or something. I once had an artillery heavy dwarf army march their siege all the way across the map and on top of the hill I was hiding behind, at which point they were in easy charge range of my infantry.

Spider riders are really fun units that are pretty great at exploiting the AI.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Mordja posted:

If you're in it for the spectacle there are a bunch of videos of people pitting artillery against caff, e.g. 200 Hellstorms v. 6000 zombies.

Stalin would be so proud. :ussr:

Yes this is good thank you.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I would actually like to play this one out. If you are lucky you could vanguard deploy all your NG archers and spider riders close enough to the artillery to totally wreck them before they could do much of anything. The knights would be a bit of a problem, but one unit of spider riders should be able to tie them up (poison slows so they should be able to keep your distance). Another option is just to hide them off to the side, hide your main army, and charge the siege behind the enemy lines.

Another tactic that might work is to hide your entire army behind a hill or something. I once had an artillery heavy dwarf army march their siege all the way across the map and on top of the hill I was hiding behind, at which point they were in easy charge range of my infantry.

Spider riders are really fun units that are pretty great at exploiting the AI.

especially forest spider riders, they rule

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Decus posted:

On the flipside to this I had Zhufbar AND Karak Kadrin on my side and they both went south eventually breaking Grimgor's will and making him take my offer of being a vassal. If they're already at war though just pick the one that likes you the most as the other will probably fill up their old turf. As for what's better to buffer I say Greenskins since for Chaos you have Kislev.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Grognan posted:

especially forest spider riders, they rule

Some of the most fun I had in the game was taking half the top knots' stuff with a half stack of spider archers, it was great.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I think I hate the Grudgebook. I love playing as dwarves cause their units and tactics really click for me (and I look forward to a rebalance so that quarrellers aren't the best unit in the game), but Jesus Christ the grudges can get out of control in a loving hurry. Was trying to wipe out the goddamn VC and their heroes were just swarming me. Every single one earned me another grudge until the goddamn book was full of them. I tried to bring in my own agents but they would just get buttfucked by Banshees (usually earning another grudge in the process). When I finally wiped those shithawks from the face of the earth like a full half of my grudges evaporated. All the rest are the same thing, just loving assassination missions cause a Varg sorcerer burned down a brewery (then immediately booking across the planet), or a Bretonnian maiden who assaulted a single unit of miners that one time.

Like the book is a good mechanic, but as grudges build up unhappiness and diplomatic penalties agent missions should be straight-up abolished.

This is my problem with the Dwarves right now. Also I couldn't get enough loving agents on the map to counter the Greenskin spam, and I am pretty sure Thorgrim has been assassinated now 6 times by the same goblin boss. It's just ridiculous, between "kill this agent for REVENGE" and "get an Engineer to 15 oh poo poo hope he isn't being killed by that same agent every other turn" I had max unhappiness.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Rand alPaul posted:

This is my problem with the Dwarves right now. Also I couldn't get enough loving agents on the map to counter the Greenskin spam, and I am pretty sure Thorgrim has been assassinated now 6 times by the same goblin boss. It's just ridiculous, between "kill this agent for REVENGE" and "get an Engineer to 15 oh poo poo hope he isn't being killed by that same agent every other turn" I had max unhappiness.

Just wait until it bugs out and you get an unwinnable campaign because Chaos tore down the last VC city and yet their grudge still sits, unfinishable.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Wellp, confederated with those orc fuckers you start at war with on turn 3 as part of a peace deal, hope it doesn't all spiral into disaster from here. They've got good poo poo, now it is mine.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Fangz posted:

I think people are rather exaggerating. Or they are looking at the AI with their full stack fleeing their own full stack and not noting that the AI is comparing the quality of your units. A full stack of basic units against your Chosen is not an even fight.

I don't know really, I see their point.

I mean you see the bar right? And if it says 50/50 and you take the battle you're basically thinking "I reckon the bar is wrong, I reckon I'm going to win this".

If you were genuinely only 50/50 on whether you would win the battle or not you wouldn't take it.

The other day I won a battle where the bar was all red because I looked at the AI army and saw it was like 5 melee units, 3 handgunner units, two cannons and a mortar vs my 8 units of spearmen with Shields, Karl Franz, 2 units of swordsmen, 4 units of crossbow men, and a unit of handgunners.

I won the battle in the end (fairly easily really) but the only reason I took it in the first place is because I thought the bar was wrong, and actually I was at least 51% sure I could win.

So the problem is people see the AI never taking "close" fights and then complain, because (and they are totally right) the close fights are the most interesting. But when you take 50/50 fight or a 40/60 fight or whatever in their favour, you're only doing so because you don't think that's what the odds are, but the AI DOES think that's what the odds are.

Honestly they should do away with it and just rank each army in terms of number of men, the money spent on each army, the total experience of the units, and what the mix of the army is and let players judge for themselves. Keep the bar hidden as the AI's personal inter Al judgement of those stats.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 22, 2016

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kitchner posted:

Honestly they should do away with it and just rank each army in terms of number of men, the money spent on each army, the total experience of the units, and what the mix of the army is and let players judge for themselves. Keep the bar hidden as the AI's personal inter Al judgement of those stats.

Sounds kinda newbie unfriendly, I mean how is a starting player supposed to know the charging strength of a unit of caviaran humpriders?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Sounds kinda newbie unfriendly, I mean how is a starting player supposed to know the charging strength of a unit of caviaran humpriders?

You don't, you just see something like:

You: 800 men
Him: 900 men

You: 3,000 gold
Him: 2,700 gold

You: 680xp
Him: 40xp

You: 6/4/2 infantry/cavalry/artillery
Him: 4/10/0 infantry/cavalry/artillery

You can obviously use graphs or whatever to make it look good but even from that you know it's probably fairly even, albeit two different styles of army, but your troops experience may give you an edge.

I mean as a rule of thumb if they spent more gold than you on their army it's probably better, so maybe that one should go first.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Anyone here has given this Southern Realms mod a shot?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I want to play a co op campaign with someone. :smith:

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dandywalken posted:

drat, the Good Magic mod is sweet, but it does go a bit too far on the Legendaries I think :(

Imma be a ratbastard here and plug my own mod once more (and a few others!):
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=707695876&tscn=1466602924

You want good magic to go with that? Here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=702578633&searchtext=sinjs

You want a side-order of Molays 2nd spell levels only as well? Here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=702711528&searchtext=molay

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Gejnor posted:

Imma be a ratbastard here and plug my own mod once more (and a few others!):
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=707695876&tscn=1466602924

You want good magic to go with that? Here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=702578633&searchtext=sinjs

You want a side-order of Molays 2nd spell levels only as well? Here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=702711528&searchtext=molay

Do your magic changes to damage, healing ect. adjust for unit size? If not what unit size is recommended?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Captain Beans posted:

Do your magic changes to damage, healing ect. adjust for unit size? If not what unit size is recommended?

Well, the spell mod aint my creation, its Sinj's! As to the changes they are tuned around Ultra, and they are simple increases in damage so that spells will do more bang for your buck. He's also made vortex spells move about much slower (down to 25% of their normal speed) so they're much more predictable, infact they almost stand fully in one place now, not so good for moving enemies (but the same remains true with normal vortexes) but for enemies engaged its oustanding!

Hes done a similar thing for Spirit Leech like molays, lowering its range to 50 meters (as well as increasing the cost to 10, from.. 7?) so no more sniping lords super easily, no change to the damage itself though.

I literally just made him make Nehek better too, he'd left it at vanilla values and it was a bit poor on ultra, now its decent but not OP.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 22, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ZearothK posted:

Anyone here has given this Southern Realms mod a shot?

Mods like this are neat but they make me want to wait until people create more custom graphics for them. Like, in the Empire expansion mod, the Knights of Morr are just black-textured Reiksguard, completely lacking their spooky scary skull helms.

Are people able to import their own models into the game or is that restricted?

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Just wait until it bugs out and you get an unwinnable campaign because Chaos tore down the last VC city and yet their grudge still sits, unfinishable.

In theory, could you deploy like a ton (like 25+) agents to drop their public order, loot & sack the chaos occupied former VC city, to force a rebellion and have a weak enough garrison left that the rebels can take the city, and then the VC rebels will count to the grudge?

If the city is razed, I guess you could wait another 100 turns until someone resettles it and do the above. Just a what-if question, not something anyone should be seriously doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mordja posted:

Mods like this are neat but they make me want to wait until people create more custom graphics for them. Like, in the Empire expansion mod, the Knights of Morr are just black-textured Reiksguard, completely lacking their spooky scary skull helms.

Are people able to import their own models into the game or is that restricted?

Model editor for TWW is still pending, I think.

• Locked thread