Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

This is a pretty minor mechanics question that I'm not sure the answer is out there for yet:

You know how you can always hear when the wraith is close because even if he's stealthed he makes those weird breathing noises? Does anyone know if that is directly tied to his terror radius or not? Like if you take the Distressing perk (8/16/24% Terror radius increase) does that increase the range at which you can hear his stealthed noise too?

Indecisive posted:

idk but I can confirm it happened to me once, wraith picked me up then just stood still for like a minute then d/c'd

More confirmation that it is in fact a Wraith specific problem is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKC3pFUqqjw

next killer

edit: payday 2 had john wick, remember. idk if it was starbreeze or overkill that worked out the deal but

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 22, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
the "heal faster than he can hit" build is starting to be irritating.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Apparently you can set your system clock ahead 24 hours to get new dailies. Clients, amirite? :jerry:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's weird that the playerbase is either A) Rank 20 or B) Rank 1, very few inbetween. In my experiences it's usually a matter of A) poopsocking to hell and back to get the "good perks", or B) milking the fight for all it is worth and causing the last part of the game to drag on forever.

More the mystery is why they think that ones are a good match for 20s.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Grognan posted:

the "heal faster than he can hit" build is starting to be irritating.

man when i saw the whole bit of 'this also makes toolbox/medkit use faster' i said to myself "this is gonna get stupid" and here we are

seriously, like not being able to destroy a bear trap and/or stop your survivor's constant bitching and moaning without tools wasn't worth a perk slot? we're competing with "when you get someone off a hook you can heal them faster" for gently caress's sake.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

How visible is the Wraith when he is cloaked? I haven't really had anyone play him against me so I can't say from experience.

I ask because I just had a match as him where I was cloaked and camping the three remaining generators, which were all fairly close to each other. I went around them and wove between the buildings for a good long while, and the -instant- I wandered off all four of them jumped on a generator for their last one. Could they really see me that well, or is it some perk?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

How visible is the Wraith when he is cloaked? I haven't really had anyone play him against me so I can't say from experience.

I ask because I just had a match as him where I was cloaked and camping the three remaining generators, which were all fairly close to each other. I went around them and wove between the buildings for a good long while, and the -instant- I wandered off all four of them jumped on a generator for their last one. Could they really see me that well, or is it some perk?

both

The wraith is visible like predator stealth and makes growly noises when nearby and there's also Spine Chill (icon lights up if killer is within up to 32 meters and looking directly at you) and Premonition (if killer is within a 45 degree cone in front of you it lights up once every 30sec within up to 32 meters)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Man, just had a round where I burned out all the luck I had for the next two years. Wraith guy camping the hell out of his hooks, friendly pubbies getting caught in a rescue-chain and eventually all slaughtered. I took a hit and I realize that I'm not going to be able to repair the generator, so I just make a mad dash into the cornfield to try and hide. Three things happened very quickly as I dashed madly through the corn: A) The last pubbie died, which opened up the B) hatch, which opened up as I was literally running blindly over it away from the C) Wraith, who decloaked and took a swing the second I jumped in. If that hatch had been five feet further away it would have been GG.

UberJew posted:

both

The wraith is visible like predator stealth and makes growly noises when nearby and there's also Spine Chill (icon lights up if killer is within up to 32 meters and looking directly at you) and Premonition (if killer is within a 45 degree cone in front of you it lights up once every 30sec within up to 32 meters)

Ah I see. Still, I can't really see him now that I've played a few more matches as survivor, maybe people just have special eyes. His bell coupled with the perk that makes you invisible if you stand still is real fun to play against, I tell you that. Going to save that guy from the hook? JK, he was standing two feet away

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you are killer and are getting any survivors that aren't lvl20+ jakes with tool boxes I salute you.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Vaulting is too fast. They can vault back and forth forever and there's nothing you can do. Had someone just camp a bus near a generator. If I left they'd get it, if I stayed it was impossible to get them.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Some good games tonight with the low levels, had one where I barely pulled it out vs a very scary chainsawman in the junkyard, getting the last generator right as the 3rd pubbie got sacrificed and limping out the exit just a few meters ahead of the killer. Another one I spent most of the match taking down a ton of hooks, to the point several times people got out of the killers grasp as he couldn't get them to the basement. He ended up getting me, a hero pubbie rescued me once but it was a map with very little cover and I ended up getting caught again, spectated the last pubbie and she was running around quite visibly panicking, hiding behind random objects with the killer nowhere in sight, then sprinting to something else, then she stumbled across the escape hatch and appeared unsure what it even was, but finally jumped in about one second before the killer ran up. After the match I see she didn't even have a perk yet, good job newbie.

I'm starting to fear the chainsawman the most tbh, if someone is good at him it is so hard to run from him and sometimes you just get surprise charged out of nowhere and have to run for your life. Trapper at least you can always hear coming and see the traps (mostly, they can be drat hard to notice in tall grass, and good luck if its on the other side of a ledge you want to jump over), and the wraith at least gives you a second or two notice while he comes out of stealth.. but the instant downs and insane speed are scary as gently caress.

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 22, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Indecisive posted:

Some good games tonight with the low levels, had one where I barely pulled it out vs a very scary chainsawman in the junkyard, getting the last generator right as the 3rd pubbie got sacrificed and limping out the exit just a few meters ahead of the killer. Another one I spent most of the match taking down a ton of hooks, to the point several times people got out of the killers grasp as he couldn't get them to the basement. He ended up getting me, a hero pubbie rescued me once but it was a map with very little cover and I ended up getting caught again, spectated the last pubbie and she was running around quite visibly panicking, hiding behind random objects with the killer nowhere in sight, then sprinting to something else, then she stumbled across the escape hatch and appeared unsure what it even was, but finally jumped in about one second before the killer ran up. After the match I see she didn't even have a perk yet, good job newbie.

I'm starting to fear the chainsawman the most tbh, if someone is good at him it is so hard to run from him and sometimes you just get surprise charged out of nowhere and have to run for your life. Trapper at least you can always hear coming and see the traps (mostly, they can be drat hard to notice in tall grass, and good luck if its on the other side of a ledge you want to jump over), and the wraith at least gives you a second or two notice while he comes out of stealth.. but the instant downs and insane speed are scary as gently caress.

I found some addons that make traps down people :getin:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I played for three hours tonight and ended at exactly rank 3 with 3 pips like i was when i started

life if rough when you don't alt+f4 to victory

trapper players are getting better faster than me and i fear if i don't get rank 1 this week i never will

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015

Grognan posted:

If you are killer and are getting any survivors that aren't lvl20+ jakes with tool boxes I salute you.

Game's like league of legends, never play it past midnight. That might explain my vaccilating between gently caress this game and let me play this game some more. Game gets steadily worse the later it gets, last night I had four games with multiple disconnects in a row, including a streamer. Then the next morning I decide to grab another round and suddenly the game's fun again.

Apparently Bahroo has taken to disconnecting against infinite jukers when he plays killer. I'm not confident about the future of the game's playerbase if the twitch hype fizzles before some of the big problems are fixed. Though Bahroo has no room to complain when he's the one that showed everybody how to do that poo poo.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Grognan posted:

Yeah, seems a LOT of people are playing jake now looking for the 'easy' points, lot of em are still low level atm though. Can't wait to get rank 3 sabo myself, rank 2 is still pretty drat slow. I normally don't take any tools in though, I still lose enough that I don't want to lose em so I just grab random poo poo outta chests.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Trapper's traps might not be the most effective thing in the world, especially when put under windows and pull-down things, but man is it satisfying to get someone in one. That snap is a beautiful sound.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Trapper's traps might not be the most effective thing in the world, especially when put under windows and pull-down things, but man is it satisfying to get someone in one. That snap is a beautiful sound.

I like seeding one or two randomly between generators in tall grass. They usually end up paying off.

UberJew posted:

I played for three hours tonight and ended at exactly rank 3 with 3 pips like i was when i started

life if rough when you don't alt+f4 to victory

trapper players are getting better faster than me and i fear if i don't get rank 1 this week i never will

There is no MM, you are not playing against other trappers. Just gimmicks from bad design.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

They are the most effective thing in the world. You can juke the chainsaw and outrun the ding dong but when you disarm the trap on this side of the window and then have to hop across and they next leveled you by double trapping the same window you just have to sit back and clap.

That was my most enjoyable loss of the night.

Also a trap in pallet town can get you a free hit even when they see it sitting there because they have to go around and let you get a piece.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Grognan posted:

There is no MM, you are not playing against other trappers. Just gimmicks from bad design.

I was playing survivor

i'm rank 18 or 19 on killer haha

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I got trapped on one in the grass once but got away cause there were friends nearby, then when I came back later it was still there so I went around and there was another right next to it. :golfclap:

I think the chainsaw has the potential to be stronger than the traps with a little buff to its hitbox and a lot of practice pre-revving and feeling out its capabilities, though the window-juking meta keeps traps on top.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Doublepost. poo poo.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

UberJew posted:

They are the most effective thing in the world. You can juke the chainsaw and outrun the ding dong but when you disarm the trap on this side of the window and then have to hop across and they next leveled you by double trapping the same window you just have to sit back and clap.

That was my most enjoyable loss of the night.

Also a trap in pallet town can get you a free hit even when they see it sitting there because they have to go around and let you get a piece.

You just can't put the trap in the center of the pallet, that was my issue when trying it out. They just phase through it while pulling the thing down.

As for Windows I feel like you drop further out than you think, so placing the trap right under the window can have people just vaulting over it. It does help discourage things from the other direction though.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You just can't put the trap in the center of the pallet, that was my issue when trying it out. They just phase through it while pulling the thing down.

As for Windows I feel like you drop further out than you think, so placing the trap right under the window can have people just vaulting over it. It does help discourage things from the other direction though.

Pallets are crazy buggy. I've lost track of the number of times I'll drop a pallet, get hit simultaneous with a stun as the killer ends up stunned on my side of the pallet

e: managed to turn my massive losing streak and get to rank 2 +1 pip, maybe i'll make rank 1 tomorrow and be able to stop caring forever

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 22, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

polka posted:

I just tested this. Add-ons are not lost if you survive with the item.

I thought that was odd and could have sworn I heard elsewhere that if you keep the item its add-ons are saved too. How about killer add-ons though? You don't die as the killer, so maybe those are what were supposed to be lost every match regardless and the thing I read forgot to mention that it was killer ones, not all.

Also, I've had a weird bug twice now. I'd have a level with only one thing left to unlock on the bloodweb, either play a game or turn the game off and come back later, and when I open the bloodweb (Jake's, if it matters) I'm at the next level instead, no points lost and (as far as I know) the last item or thing not unlocked. This is strange; while I don't think either thing I've missed out on so far was a huge deal, it's still somewhat concerning.

In lighter news, had two more hatch escapes. One was like the first, except this time I was wounded and being chased, jumped over a wall and discovered that A. The killer had predicted me and was right there, and B. The hatch was right there (this was in the Rancid Abattoir, where there are a ton of possible locations). I went for the hatch and, despite him smacking me into a downed state, got in.

Other one, I was one of the last two, on the Ironworks, and I got downed first. However, the other person was so close that, rather than pick me up and hook me, the killer went after her instead. So I started crawling; several minutes later, the other survivor was dead and I reached the hatch. I was expecting it to be camped or the guy to just stroll up and get me, but nope.

Tangent, this means that all three of my hatch escapes so far I was in a downed state. Huh.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 22, 2016

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
If the last item on your bloodweb is an 8000 item then it's lost the next time you open the web. Even if you just close and immediately open again.

It won't matter past level 10 when the entity appears but it's something to keep in mind early on. YOu can use it to throw away expensive items you don't want.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Bup posted:

If the last item on your bloodweb is an 8000 item then it's lost the next time you open the web. Even if you just close and immediately open again.

It won't matter past level 10 when the entity appears but it's something to keep in mind early on. YOu can use it to throw away expensive items you don't want.

Oh, interesting. Is that a bug or intentional? I'll keep it in mind either way. Thanks.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
First game as a killer last night and I completely wrecked it, they got off the hooks a few times but I had them all running scared and kept switching targets so they couldn't get comfortable. Final kill was when the last survivor jumped through a window into a bear trap, so drat satisfying to slowly hop after them and finish them off.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How does the hatch work? I'm pretty sure it doesn't spawn at the start.

In other news, I've started playing the killer. I had no idea how much noise a wounded survivor makes, and how limited you're in terms of FOV. That explains some behaviour I couldn't understand.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fat Samurai posted:

How does the hatch work? I'm pretty sure it doesn't spawn at the start.

In other news, I've started playing the killer. I had no idea how much noise a wounded survivor makes, and how limited you're in terms of FOV. That explains some behaviour I couldn't understand.

It appears after two generators are active (though you can hear it before then apparently if you go to where it will be). Only opens with a skeleton key or when there's only one survivor left, whether through death or escapes, though.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I'm pretty sure it's always visible.

It starts making noise as soon as there's only one survivor left (by escape or death) but only opens if two generators have been activated.

The hatch animation is really fast and most people have memorized hatch locations. Usually if I'm not already there when the third guy dies I write the fourth off. There's too many ways to duck you, especially if there's only one or two generators left.

If the third guy's hooked and you haven't seen the fourth yet head for the hatch. Nine times out of ten an AWOL fourth guy is afk somewhere near the hatch. The hard part is when you know he's active. He could be anywhere and per the Copenhagen interpretation he will be wherever you aren't. If you head for the hatch the third will be unhooked as soon as you're too far away to do anything about it. If you don't head for hte hatch he'll use it as soon as the fourth dies.

Mister Bup fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 22, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Mister Bup posted:

The hatch animation is really fast and most people have memorized hatch locations.
Does it spawn in the same place every game?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fat Samurai posted:

Does it spawn in the same place every game?

Depends on the map. I think about half the maps in the game have one hatch location, the others have three or more (one has at least eight). This guide and the other two linked at the bottom have more details.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
There are multiple locations but they're all pretty predictable, usually somewhere in or around the map's set piece building.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks, that helps.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, have reached level 10 with a character. The black node on the web is where the Entity will spread from, yes? How long do I have before it starts moving? If it doesn't move immediately after my first move, I can cut it off here before it can get anything due to the layout of this web.

Edit: Actually I can click on the black node and blood starts moving towards it? What happens if I go all the way here? I don't want to gently caress things up, so...

Edit again: Googling it made this sound like a bug. Anyone here able to tell me what's up with this?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 22, 2016

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, have reached level 10 with a character. The black node on the web is where the Entity will spread from, yes? How long do I have before it starts moving? If it doesn't move immediately after my first move, I can cut it off here before it can get anything due to the layout of this web.

Edit: Actually I can click on the black node and blood starts moving towards it? What happens if I go all the way here? I don't want to gently caress things up, so...

Edit again: Googling it made this sound like a bug. Anyone here able to tell me what's up with this?

the black entity spot actually spawns off the map, near one of the furthest nodes from the center, after you've bought a number of spaces (4-6? not sure, might increase as you level), then on the next turn after it spawns it spreads inward. Can only assume what you are seeing is a either a graphical glitch or somehow an invalid item was generated for that spot? might want to avoid getting it, idk

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Indecisive posted:

the black entity spot actually spawns off the map, near one of the furthest nodes from the center, after you've bought a number of spaces (4-6? not sure, might increase as you level), then on the next turn after it spawns it spreads inward. Can only assume what you are seeing is a either a graphical glitch or somehow an invalid item was generated for that spot? might want to avoid getting it, idk

Yeah, after reading up on it I went for the perk first, then the mystery box (very rare map add-on), and after all that my web now looks like this:

It appeared in the upper-right after I got the mystery box, then after I got the 3k thing above the starting point it claimed the add-on on the left, despite that being across the map from it. I guess you can't completely cut it off? Or the upper-right appearance isn't where it actually is, but just shows that it's active and will take something (the outermost thing it can?) next turn. I don't know.

Anyway, going to get the battery after I get some more points, so we'll see what happens with the black spot after that. If the entity can jump it'll claim that spot, otherwise I'll have to see if I have to take it or I just advance without it.

Edit: Okay, didn't have to claim it; got the battery and leveled up immediately. Not sure what was up with it, but, whatever.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 22, 2016

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, after reading up on it I went for the perk first, then the mystery box (very rare map add-on), and after all that my web now looks like this:

It appeared in the upper-right after I got the mystery box, then after I got the 3k thing above the starting point it claimed the add-on on the left, despite that being across the map from it. I guess you can't completely cut it off? Or the upper-right appearance isn't where it actually is, but just shows that it's active and will take something (the outermost thing it can?) next turn. I don't know.

Anyway, going to get the battery after I get some more points, so we'll see what happens with the black spot after that. If the entity can jump it'll claim that spot, otherwise I'll have to see if I have to take it or I just advance without it.

Edit: Okay, didn't have to claim it; got the battery and leveled up immediately. Not sure what was up with it, but, whatever.

I just have one character in the teens, and I've only seen the black node once. What happened to me was the Entity ate its way to an adjacent node to the black node, cutting off a section of the web, which caused everything behind them to be eaten.

It has to be a glitch. Actually, maybe the black node exists to make it harder for you to cut off the Entity in bigger bloodwebs. It's effectively a safe node for the Entity that you can't claim. If the black node has a lot of connections, that's paths the Entity can take if it gets there.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

You can't block it off no, it'll go to whatever is closest and then eat it's way up the tree, but once it gets to something you own it will just warp to an unclaimed node, preferring the most expensive ones. I normally always get the perk first, dunno if they can be eaten but I wouldn't want to chance it, even if it's not something I want I'd rather get rid of it so it can't show up again (well, once getting rank 3 at least)

• Locked thread