Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Wait, so they do unannounced patches? Or at least, unannounced on anywhere but their own forums?

A lot of devs do shadow updates to their games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
i just dont understand the resists update. There was no foreshadowing. no requests.
it was just fix Hans fix Demo.
Not "Hey things are too easy lets make poo poo way more obtuse and unfun to play." Yes lets add a level of complexity to the game that no one can understand!

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

She Bangs the Drums posted:

Not "Hey things are too easy lets make poo poo way more obtuse and unfun to play." Yes lets add a level of complexity to the game that no one can understand!

that's literally what one of the loudest parts of their forum community wants

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
On for the free weekend, and man this game has problems. I like the premise, I like the shooting and progression, but the movement speed is a little too sluggish for what the game is asking of you, not to mention all of the little bits of geometry to get hung up on easily. I played the poo poo out KF1, and want to play a bunch of this, so I can put up with some of the hitches, but the real problem is Dr. Hanz. I've not seen something so punishing for players in a jank rear end way, with the grenade spam, melee damage, and the health drain. They need someone who can hear this feedback and understand that trying to encourage your players to win through exploiting/being cheap can be fun in Dark Souls, but this isn't at all mechanically sound enough to feel rewarding for finding a hosed up kiting route and trying to cheese away at bosses.

DeNomolos fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 19, 2016

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I don't know if our opinions are skewed, but Hans is more balanced now than he ever was.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Just lol if you think Hans is bad now. You should have seem him from launch to about 5 days ago where he'd randomly pick a player and kill them without any way if stopping it. It took over a year for them to give him a single balance pass.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah the universal experience before last week was rocking through an entire map barely breaking a sweat, and then Hans shows up and it's basically a coin-flip on how many times he's going to use his melee combo. Because if he used it more than once or twice you simply would not have the damage potential to finish him off.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

encourage your players to win through exploiting/being cheap can be fun in Demon Souls

I don't think you understand Demon's Souls.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hans is stupidly easy now. If you have at least three guys with railguns in a Hans fight, youre practically guaranteed to kill him within five minutes.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

We do also have to consider the fact that pretty much all of us cheat-leveled to 25 in everything, and people are just now playing Hans for the first time at level 0.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I never had trouble with OG hans, even at low levels, good team composition WAS key to not having a tough time with him though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If you have a medic to kite away a TPK you're all set in this game.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Plan Z posted:

We do also have to consider the fact that pretty much all of us cheat-leveled to 25 in everything, and people are just now playing Hans for the first time at level 0.

Nah, I only bullshitted through like two perks on that perk trainer level. And that was AFTER they fixed the exploit where you could go from 0-25 in like ten minutes.

Alteisen posted:

I never had trouble with OG hans, even at low levels, good team composition WAS key to not having a tough time with him though.

Back in the closed beta, you could take Hans with good composition but it was just incredibly tedious. It felt like WoW where you had to kite him all around Outpost.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Plan Z posted:

I only did that for the first 10 levels of Demo back when he was first released, because I could live 5 levels without Siren Resistance, but 15? gently caress no.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Wait, so they do unannounced patches? Or at least, unannounced on anywhere but their own forums?

Yes. This was supposed to be "hey let's have this system where we can tweak numbers basically on the fly for fast tweaks" and it's basically as often as an actual Steam patch because they keep trying to change stuff that they didn't include in the system. I guess we get twice as many patches, but I gotta say this being a EA and with how they advertised this system I was expecting daily changes.

Theta Zero posted:

I'd say this game is still worth buying, but the main issue is just that they changed it so dramatically from what it was before. If you like it from the free weekend, then there shouldn't be much stopping you from buying it.

I gotta say, after playing some more matches after they rolled back the resistances of trash, that the gunfeel that was before is pretty much back, especially now that you can pushback Zeds again with the weapon butt.

But man. gently caress Sirens even more than before.

Also a thing my buddy who did a lot of trading on the KF2 skins market said and it kinda stuck with me: there are most skins for the standard IRL guns - the ones for the Commando. And now they pushed a patch that makes those weapons really really viable, so a lot of people use them. It does seem a bit like a push for the MTs in the game, but I dunno, at least they don't affect gameplay yet

Also you guys want a cool bug? This is currently happening all the time, and noone knows why:

Kikas fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 19, 2016

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
If I had to guess I'd say healing you receive is considered negative damage from a medic pistol, and self-heals are considered negative damage from....a shotgun?

Edit: nevermind didn't see that there's more negative damage from other weapons - no loving clue. Is Bosses healing themselves counting as negative damage for whatever did the healed damage in the first place?

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 20, 2016

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Is there a way to cheat perk levels? For KF1 you can just edit the values directly in Steam Achievement Manager, but what few values appear for KF2 in SAM are all obscured and don't line up with any of my XP stats. I know leveling maps are a thing, but the one I tried out was slow as hell. Is there a "best?"

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Is there a way to cheat perk levels? For KF1 you can just edit the values directly in Steam Achievement Manager, but what few values appear for KF2 in SAM are all obscured and don't line up with any of my XP stats. I know leveling maps are a thing, but the one I tried out was slow as hell. Is there a "best?"

There used to be an exploit, I forgot exactly what it was called, but TWI fixed it awhile ago. As far as I know, the only way to "cheat" levels now is to download the perk trainer map and just tediously shoot poo poo that's trapped in a box. I don't know if you can edit poo poo in KF2 a la cheat engine, but if you do make sure you do it offline.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Skoll posted:

There used to be an exploit, I forgot exactly what it was called, but TWI fixed it awhile ago. As far as I know, the only way to "cheat" levels now is to download the perk trainer map and just tediously shoot poo poo that's trapped in a box. I don't know if you can edit poo poo in KF2 a la cheat engine, but if you do make sure you do it offline.

There's a functional Cheat Engine thing.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There used to be a thread for posting cheats and whatnot but it got archived. You can probably ask the mods to allow you to do a redux if you wanna explain the cheat engine poo poo for KF2.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Skoll posted:

There used to be a thread for posting cheats and whatnot but it got archived. You can probably ask the mods to allow you to do a redux if you wanna explain the cheat engine poo poo for KF2.

I know very little about CE, but there's a table that has worked since... forever, I guess? Seems to work for the latest update, too.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Skoll posted:

that thread was colossally boring and awful

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

that thread was colossally boring and awful

It was an interesting premise, but yea it moved slow and thus got archived. I still have it bookmarked for some reason.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

even beyond being slow, most of the information in it was overblown, outdated, or false from the start. the reality of the situation is that the people who are actually good at cheating don't advertise it because that's how their cheats get fixed, so everyone in there was pretty obviously just telling 'the fish was THIS BIG' stories from yesteryear, or outright lying about how effective they were/are.

the fact that the mods didn't give a crap about that thread suggests that if someone has a worthwhile and relevant cheat to post in a thread it won't exactly be probe material to just post it though.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

I've linked it before, but here it is again. Google is hard.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

even beyond being slow, most of the information in it was overblown, outdated, or false from the start. the reality of the situation is that the people who are actually good at cheating don't advertise it because that's how their cheats get fixed, so everyone in there was pretty obviously just telling 'the fish was THIS BIG' stories from yesteryear, or outright lying about how effective they were/are.

the fact that the mods didn't give a crap about that thread suggests that if someone has a worthwhile and relevant cheat to post in a thread it won't exactly be probe material to just post it though.

You sure have strong opinions about old threads.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Thank's for Cheat Engine link. Boosted my levels, played a match on normal, the game feels a-okay. It went over my head that most goons play on Suicidal/HoE, so I assumed ALL levels of play got hosed by the new resist system. My casual baby normal mode is safe. <3

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

boy howdy is it bad to make a conclusion on the internets

if you're not careful people might say you think things

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Boy howdy do I last word syndrome, just can't let things lie even though I have literally nothing to add to a conversation besides, "lol thread bad".

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Skoll posted:

Boy howdy do I last word syndrome, just can't let things lie even though I have literally nothing to add to a conversation besides, "lol thread bad".

uh

Coolguye posted:

which then led to exactly that

which then led to a satisfied post afterward

turn your monitor on skoll

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Thank's for Cheat Engine link. Boosted my levels, played a match on normal, the game feels a-okay. It went over my head that most goons play on Suicidal/HoE, so I assumed ALL levels of play got hosed by the new resist system. My casual baby normal mode is safe. <3

even at level zero you should be slaughtering thing no problem so....

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

I have no idea how. Next in line was the AA12 with the rest of the negative damage :v: I mean Hans grabbed me once, but that was for like a second before our 3 Sharpshooters broke his shield.

Unless the resist system works as a triggered heal, where instead of reducing gun damage, it increases Zed health when they get hit with a gun. But that would be loving retarded tho. Because that would mean that you would one-hit every Zed if you dealt more then all their health in one attack. And hell, Stalkers can still tank a shitload of punishment.

Support (for me) is pretty okay now. You actually can (and sometimes must) use the AA12 on trash as there are other heavy hitters in the game, better suited for killing big guys. But you can shred though hordes no problem. And on top of that you clear out Sirens and Gorefasts like a champ. So basically your only problem are Stalker, as even Crawlers too will die from a single pellet headshot. The more ammo perk working all the time is also working in your favor, and yet I still ran out of ammo and grenades fairly often.
Before I usually skipped the Boomstick because it was a constant reload and even the starter shotty felt better as a partner to the AA12. But now, it has INSANE knockback, throwing Zed ragdolls across the rooms and I'm warming up to it really nicely.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

uh

which then led to exactly that

which then led to a satisfied post afterward

turn your monitor on skoll

No. :colbert:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Kikas posted:

Support (for me) is pretty okay now. You actually can (and sometimes must) use the AA12 on trash as there are other heavy hitters in the game, better suited for killing big guys. But you can shred though hordes no problem. And on top of that you clear out Sirens and Gorefasts like a champ. So basically your only problem are Stalker, as even Crawlers too will die from a single pellet headshot. The more ammo perk working all the time is also working in your favor, and yet I still ran out of ammo and grenades fairly often.
Before I usually skipped the Boomstick because it was a constant reload and even the starter shotty felt better as a partner to the AA12. But now, it has INSANE knockback, throwing Zed ragdolls across the rooms and I'm warming up to it really nicely.

Support, through resistances, has become a generalized killer and it works pretty well against everything (except Stalkers which are awful to fight as everyone but Commando). But you'll want to help magdump into Scrakes and Fleshpounds. I don't know what level you are, but once you get the perk that gives you extra carry weight, you can carry three shotguns and ammo essentially becomes a non-issue.

If you want to be a generalized everything-killer, Medic works best, believe it or not. The SMG, shotgun, and assault rifle all have different damage types, so the shotgun will rip through Gorefasts and Sirens like paper while the assault rifle one-shots Crawlers, Clots, and Stalkers. The only issue is just constantly having to swap weapons.

Also they increased the ragdoll knockback for the double barrel a few updates ago, and it's very silly. I've launched zeds up on top of buildings in Burning Paris.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 20, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'm getting back into this, since commando and demo were my favorite perks.
I guess they're not trying to shoot different targets even with the new resistances?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

TheTatteredKing posted:

I'm getting back into this, since commando and demo were my favorite perks.
I guess they're not trying to shoot different targets even with the new resistances?

I'm always happy to shamelessly plug my guide on the resistances. Basically some major changes is just that as Demo, Sirens are the absolute bane of your existence even after you get the perk that makes it so they don't destroy your projectiles because they resist a ton of explosive damage. A direct hit with the grenade launcher (which you can now carry with the RPG) on harder difficulties just knocks them over. I'd even say they're worth using an RPG rocket just to take care of. As a Commando, you're generally not going to be doing much different than before but you really, really, really want to kill Stalkers above all other targets because not only do you instakill them with almost all of your weapons, but they're obnoxious bullet sponges for everyone else.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Oh they literally inversed explosive resistance on sirens, drat.
I'm not sure if I want the gernade launcher and the RPG at the same time. Having the weirdo explosion shotgun pistol is great for gore fasts always in my grill

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So after playing Sharpshooter extensively for the past few days, it's pretty lovely until you get it to Lv 15. I'm Lv. 18 now and it's bearable. I think the M14 needs a slight damage increase, you should be able to kill a clot in one shot regardless of where you hit it with that thing. Also, I seriously suggest anyone pick this up :

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=661999557&searchtext=m14

It's a mod that changes the Xbow and M14 reticles. I've found the M14 crosshairs wash out super easily against most backgrounds ( as do the railgun ), so this mod replaces the scope sight with the one from the Springfield from Red Orchestra. I noticed my headshot kills immediately went up when I started using it.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

TheTatteredKing posted:

Oh they literally inversed explosive resistance on sirens, drat.
I'm not sure if I want the gernade launcher and the RPG at the same time. Having the weirdo explosion shotgun pistol is great for gore fasts always in my grill

I use the grenade launcher/RPG combo using a large zed eliminator skillset and it works pretty well to compensate that you sacrifice horde killing potential to do so. No matter what you do, Gorefasts are going to be a major pain but the grenade pistol is a decent weapon to carry around in general. It's easy to get away with sporting that and the RPG. As Demo, you're going to be relying on your teammates to handle select targets while you're basically their insurance against getting swarmed. And also kill stealing. Lots and lots of kill stealing.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Victory!

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=118369&page=2

"You'll be happy to know that we're releasing a new update in the next day or 2 that will take the resistances of trash zeds pretty much back to the way they were before the update. I personally would like to say I'm sorry that you guys didn't like it. I worked really hard on it and thought all the fans would love it. but working long hours means nothing if it's not liked. We're also looking at teleporting and will be addressing that aswell in a future update."

Looks like resistances for bigger zeds will stay, but it's a huge step in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I'm really glad that they're willing to back down on this. Bigger zeds having resistances is fine, and even the weaker stuff like Husks resisting fire damage is totally reasonable. The wheat and chaff zeds having a spreadsheet's worth of weaknesses and resistances is just not something I have any interest in dealing with in a game like Killing Floor.