Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

VomitOnLino posted:

Interesting. Thanks! I found that -Max also develops rather poorly in diafine.
I guess it's not the best choice for tabular grain films.

It is not. Diafine works best on old tech films. Honestly you don't need tabular grain with it Tri-x (or HP5) @1250 is practically grainless in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I like it

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Two Lights State Park by spike mccue, on Flickr

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 18, 2016

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorder-lens/edmonton/fujifilm-frontier-sp3000-digital-scanner-w-120-set-up/1145601559

:sigh:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

a show / collection of these would be loving tight

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I'm slowly building a set: http://www.lucasdeshazer.com/glow

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
e: ^^^ well gently caress, following that up...

Untitled (Raytown) by Drew Davis, on Flickr

Been too long since I've posted anything...I've been waking up every weekend around 6 am to walk the neighborhood I grew up in with an idea to document the area (1960s destination subrub, fallen into a sort of poverty), but getting the rolls back I'm just not thrilled with most of them.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Shot on Provia 100. Chrome looks lovely with this stuff.

Bentley by Iain Compton, on Flickr

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Is my lens delaminating in the lower left?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

my first exposures through a medium format camera, yashica 124g from ethanfr0me on this very forum

A169879_006.jpg by Sean Beck, on Flickr

A169879_010.jpg by Sean Beck, on Flickr

harvard by Sean Beck, on Flickr

still figuring out what shutter speeds I can hand hold and shoot. are the white specks dust?

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 22, 2016

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Karl Barks posted:

still figuring out what shutter speeds I can hand hold and shoot. are the white specks dust?

A. Depends on how tack sharp you want every iota of your photo.
B. Yes. Dust your negatives you slob.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Karl Barks posted:

still figuring out what shutter speeds I can hand hold and shoot.

1/focal length, as usual. Maybe a bit faster to be on the safe side, if possible.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i didn't scan these negatives. i thought i read somewhere that medium format had some some leeway with shutter speed vs 35mm, but i wouldn't be surprised if that was bs. thanks.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

You can probably go a little slower with a TLR since there is no mirror slap.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Karl Barks posted:

i didn't scan these negatives. i thought i read somewhere that medium format had some some leeway with shutter speed vs 35mm, but i wouldn't be surprised if that was bs. thanks.

Oh yeah I forgot you are using a TLR. If you need to, you can probably go 1-2 stops slower than the rule of thumbs then, if you have steady hands or brace yourself well.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Karl Barks posted:

Dusting your negatives also means cloning them out manually in LR or Photoshop. Unless you work on a clean room it's almost impossible to get a dust free scan

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

1 hour @ f/22

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ansel autisms posted:

1 hour @ f/22

It's great that it isn't filled with light streaks from cars.
Is it usually this quiet, or just really late and not busy at all ?

thedoorstopper
Jan 25, 2015

Shanghai GP 100

thedoorstopper fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 22, 2016

thedoorstopper
Jan 25, 2015

ansel autisms posted:

1 hour @ f/22

I really like how the foliage at the foreground blends with the land mass. Pretty cool stuff. What do you use to scan btw?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ansel autisms posted:

1 hour @ f/22

I love this - I'm surprised you shot it at f/22, is there something funny with hyperfocal distance and MF that doesn't work the same as on 35mm film/digital cameras? I would have thought it's better to shoot at f/16 or something.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
The f stop is a ratio of aperture size and focal length. Since MF/LF uses larger equivalent focal lengths, the aperture opening at f22 is going to be a lot larger than that on 35mm, so diffraction will be less. That's my understanding of it.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

BANME.sh posted:

The f stop is a ratio of aperture size and focal length. Since MF/LF uses larger equivalent focal lengths, the aperture opening at f22 is going to be a lot larger than that on 35mm, so diffraction will be less. That's my understanding of it.

Correct. There's a reason why there are so many things out there named 'f64'; at large format it's a real thing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ah that makes total sense. Thanks.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

unpacked robinhood posted:

It's great that it isn't filled with light streaks from cars.
Is it usually this quiet, or just really late and not busy at all ?

It was 2am, mostly quiet - the large streak through the center is actually a single train. On the right side there's a set of red and white lights, that's an interstate.

evilspoon21 posted:

I really like how the foliage at the foreground blends with the land mass. Pretty cool stuff. What do you use to scan btw?

Epson V700 with Silverfast for 48bit scans

VelociBacon posted:

I love this - I'm surprised you shot it at f/22, is there something funny with hyperfocal distance and MF that doesn't work the same as on 35mm film/digital cameras? I would have thought it's better to shoot at f/16 or something.

Like BANME said it's a different game in LF. I needed f/22 just to get a reasonable amount of the scene in focus. Normally I'd go a bit further (f/29) but reciprocity failure would have made the exposure far too long to be worthwhile.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

ansel autisms posted:

1 hour @ f/22

How do you focus in the dark? Do you just set everything up during the day and then wait for the sun to set? I have trouble focusing my LF camera indoors because it's so dark.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I focused on the lights in the distance with a loupe. Generally for night scenes that are so dark I have trouble composing I use a green laser to help outline the frame edges and to focus.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

BANME.sh posted:

thetzar posted:

Correct. There's a reason why there are so many things out there named 'f64'; at large format it's a real thing.

Correct thought process but not reason. F/22 on LF is the same size as f/22 on any other format at the same focal length but larger capture medium means less diffraction limiting of the enlargement. This makes a huge difference when 4x5 is only a 4x enlargement to make an 8x10 print but 35mm is something like 50x.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

8th-snype posted:

Correct thought process but not reason. F/22 on LF is the same size as f/22 on any other format at the same focal length but larger capture medium means less diffraction limiting of the enlargement. This makes a huge difference when 4x5 is only a 4x enlargement to make an 8x10 print but 35mm is something like 50x.

Which is also why LF makes smoother large prints, and by larger I mean probably bigger than a person, like mural-sized. That said, the high MP sensors do a good job now of enlargements.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I just picked up a Medalist II from KEH that I intend to ship off to Ken Ruth for 120 conversion. My email got this automated response:

quote:

Bald Mountain's shop will be closed until July 1st so Ken can recover his health. (He is expected to make a full recovery!) He will respond to phone calls, emails, and packages then.

Uh, I'd been planning to do this sooner rather than later because this is a Mark Hama type dude who is a wizened octogenarian master at this, but if you want a 120 Medalist conversion you might want to do it like really soon. That's not a promising email in the long term.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or does Lightroom's auto white balance always trends towards "super orange/yellow"

Water Street by spike mccue, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Awkward Davies posted:

Is it just me or does Lightroom's auto white balance always trends towards "super orange/yellow"

I'm not sure about trends but it's pretty lovely alright, especially for film shots.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

LR does alright by me when I have an even shot with a good middle gray point in it & Portra 400

note that this became un-true when I tried to use Vuescan, nothing seemed to work right with my negs outta Vuescan

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

alkanphel posted:

I'm not sure about trends but it's pretty lovely alright, especially for film shots.

For me, Lightroom tends to add a lot of blue/green on film. I have to warm pictures up and move the white balance towards red to not get super dark cold tones everywhere - usually I shoot Portra 160 or Colourmax 200.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Helen Highwater posted:

For me, Lightroom tends to add a lot of blue/green on film. I have to warm pictures up and move the white balance towards red to not get super dark cold tones everywhere - usually I shoot Portra 160 or Colourmax 200.

I have the opposite problem, same as awkward davies - lots of orange/yellow/red gets added. But I pretty much only shoot ektar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

And how are you getting your negatives into lightroom in the first place? Surely you're doing some of the color first, either through your scanning program or Photoshop. Lots of blue and green just sounds like the curves haven't been touched - red will always be the weakest layer, then green, then blue, purely because of how each layer is laid on the emulsion

• Locked thread