Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dude you're getting a cell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

shadow puppet of a posted:

Thank you for keeping straight the many early 2000's cellphone men for me. I regret the error.

Lol, the only reason I knew was that I had looked up Terry Farrell a few days ago and saw a picture of her husband, and knew it was a different guy. I had to Google it to find out their names.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Dude Dell, So What

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

This perverted rear end show.

Jerkin' off a not-yet cadet.on basic cable in the mid 90s. No wonder society collapsed.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Space Cases is better than Farscape

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jerkin' off a not-yet cadet.on basic cable in the mid 90s. No wonder society collapsed.
I don't know what mirror verse you came from, but DS9 was on what would become the UPN network here is Los Angeles. poo poo was OTA, son.

Also Space Cases rocked, I actually disliked that they got rid of Rainbow Head in favor of her hot imaginary buddy Suzee, and it's babbys first SciFi/Farscape.

Also it's a better "cast of mismatched individuals in an undiscovered land journeying home" story than Voyager.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 22, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I like Blake's 7.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Andromeda could have been decent, or even good. I liked the premise that it was sort of along the lines of The Foundation Trilogy, and they really, really missed the boat with the casting, writing, effects, and everything else.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
People keep waxing poetic about Farscape and Dr. Who but I've tried these shows and just can't enjoy them

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Farscape is a show that requires getting through a whole lot of bad episodes, scenes, characters, and ideas to enjoy. All of these are scattered unevenly throughout the show's run, so you can't easily create a Good Parts viewing list.

But if you're willing to sit through the bad stuff, the gestalt effect of the series is, imo, very enjoyable. And the Pilot puppet is crazy-impressive.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Gammatron 64 posted:

People keep waxing poetic about Farscape and Dr. Who but I've tried these shows and just can't enjoy them

Three different people have tried to get me to watch Dr. Who, and each one showed me their idea of "a great episode that will get you hooked". They were all bad, and two of the episodes had that doctor that looks like Odo's ugly younger brother.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Blistex posted:

Three different people have tried to get me to watch Dr. Who, and each one showed me their idea of "a great episode that will get you hooked". They were all bad, and two of the episodes had that doctor that looks like Odo's ugly younger brother.

Betting that two of those episodes were the one with almost no Doctor, with the angel statues; and the one where the Doctor's space phone booth's personality gets put into the closest thing to Helena Bonham Carter that British television can afford casting.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I wish I liked the Dee Arr Period Who. There must be hundreds or thousands of hours of that stuff.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
It's almost like every major country is by law required to have its own cheesy sci-fi series.

As a Canadian, we got Lexx. :canada:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Vakal posted:

It's almost like every major country is by law required to have its own cheesy sci-fi series.

As a Canadian, we got Lexx. :canada:

IDK I'll give you Stargate which was pretty ok

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Squizzle posted:

Betting that two of those episodes were the one with almost no Doctor, with the angel statues; and the one where the Doctor's space phone booth's personality gets put into the closest thing to Helena Bonham Carter that British television can afford casting.

It was just forgettable garbage that I remember absolutely nothing from except how ugly the one doctor was and that the other one was in 28 days later.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

IDK I'll give you Stargate which was pretty ok

"Wow, this planet looks just like the forests of BC!"
"Amazing, this civilization's city looks like the inside of a mall in Vancouver!"
"Cool, this planet looks just like a gravel pit that has been spray-painted to look like a desert canyon!"

Blistex fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 22, 2016

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The one thing I like Dr. Who is that right when it became peak Tumblr-fan sex gif fetish squee material they switched out their rakish doe-eyed English boys and gave the fans a repulsive old Scotch ghoul to look at instead.

:swoon::shlick::gizz:

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 22, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Blistex posted:

It was just forgettable garbage that I remember absolutely nothing from except how ugly the one doctor was and that the other one was in 28 days later.

"Amazing, this civilization's city looks like the inside of a mall in Vancouver!"
"Cool, this planet looks just like a gravel pit that has been spray-painted to look like a desert canyon!"

after about 3-4 seasons they got better about it, and like I said, OK, not great.

Star Trek is 99% the bridge set too

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Tectonis posted:

Torchwood was garbage until the Children of Earth and Starz miniseries when it edged toward borderline watcable. The Starz series was good but like 3 episodes too long.

There is a TV miniseries/movie called The Quatermass Conclusion that has some similar elements of Children of Earth Meets Mad Max (the original film, not the others).

One of the oddest things about it, though, features a clip of a 'family TV show' that over the years has become a sexualized furry fetish show for its audience.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

after about 3-4 seasons they got better about it, and like I said, OK, not great.

Star Trek is 99% the bridge set too

I probably watched about 1 in 10 SG1 episodes, but I was legit amazed when they would do callbacks to previous seasons, or when they actually used technology they discovered in later episodes. This was during Voyager, so some manner of continuity was much needed.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Blistex posted:

Hey the action centers around a village of simple huts populated by just folks. I have never seen the like.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Blistex posted:

I probably watched about 1 in 10 SG1 episodes, but I was legit amazed when they would do callbacks to previous seasons, or when they actually used technology they discovered in later episodes. This was during Voyager, so some manner of continuity was much needed.

the show was actually good about consistency and throwing back to old episodes. There were more than a few times I'd fall asleep to a seemingly throwaway show and would just not bother to finish it, and it would be called back to at some point.

that said i've just watched it all for the first time this past year or so as a going to bed show. I can imagine the frustration trying to watch it while it was being broadcast.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
For a non-time travel show, SG-1 manages to have some really fun time travel episodes quite a bit.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The one thing I like Dr. Who is that right when it became peak Tumblr-fan sex gif fetish squee material they switched out their rakish doe-eyed English boys and gave the fans a repulsive old Scotch ghoul to look at instead.

:swoon::shlick::gizz:

The worst part is that he's completely wasted on the show right now. The scripts are garbage and fans don't like him, so I hope you enjoy more young tumblr-bait Doctors, because that's all we'll get after he leaves.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Doctor Who is a decent show, but Doctor Who fans are the absolute worst nerd demographic on earth. The show has infinite potential, but all they want to see is Alex Kingston catchphrasing her way through yet another episode while David Tennant has a tantrum.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
wait capaldi is dr who? might have to give it a watch. loved him in In The Loop

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
this is going to make me look dumb as poo poo, but I started watching Torchwood randomly on netflix and I was ok with it for an episode or two of it. Like, ok this is a decent premise and they're just going to explain more as it goes on. Then I looked something up that just made no sense and apparently I was dumb as gently caress because OBVIOUSLY its DR WHO

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

wait capaldi is dr who? might have to give it a watch. loved him in In The Loop

No hyperbole here, but 3/4 of his two seasons are pure trash. Unless you really like writer's pet characters who upstage the protagonist at every turn.

Also Maisie Williams plays an absolutely terrible recurring character but because "OMG GAME OF THRONES IN DOCTOR WHO", the fans ate that poo poo up with a fervor.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Also Maisie Williams

euch. nevermind

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
People who refer to themselves as "whovians" should be fined and forced to do community service

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
ALSO the opening used to be this awesome stormy black hole with good music until the show runner saw a new concept on tumblr and made it official

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmsldy5lbUw

loving clock faces and gears

for a time travel show

and whovians ate it up

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Big Mean Jerk posted:

People who refer to themselves as "whovians" should be fined and forced to do community service walked to a mass grave. . .

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
what the gently caress. its supposed to have a god drat wormhole.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I can't find it, but the initial reveal was taped at some con and you can hear the person who took the vid get all choked up and go "it's...brilliant"

:laugh:

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Every time I try to watch an episode of Dr. Who on BBC-A, it's the same stupid episode where London is now a space station where everyone is kept in check by scary faces in jars.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Matt Smith was a really good Doctor who, again, was completely let down by garbage scripts and lovely showrunning. David Tennant was garbage, and that's why tumblr loves him. Eccleston was ok.

STAR TREK: VOYAGER

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
hey this guy has good opinions. my sister really liked david tennant whereas i hated him and i liked matt smith but found the plots to be kinda.. lacking

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
It's weird that I've skipped most of the latest Doctor incarnation, but I like what I've seen of him in everything that I have seen of him in the show.

Dr. Who, since the relaunch, sort of has this odd trend of, in my opinion, getting 'better' as the show goes on. The first season was really sort of just good because it was a return of the Doctor and updated a bit to make the stories a bit more large scale for modern audiences.

Then once Tennant came on board, I thought he was pretty good but wished that Eccleston had been working with those stories, instead.

When Smith came in, I warmed up to him pretty quick, too, but by that time I was sort of wishing Tennant had those kind of stories.

But man, being the Doctor ages actors harder than being the President. After about 2-4 years of being the Doctor, you age about a decade. (Time Lords, I guess.)

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Big Mean Jerk posted:

STAR TREK: VOYAGER

its dead stupid poo poo jim, but the last good star trek thread got gassed for no reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

this is going to make me look dumb as poo poo, but I started watching Torchwood randomly on netflix and I was ok with it for an episode or two of it. Like, ok this is a decent premise and they're just going to explain more as it goes on. Then I looked something up that just made no sense and apparently I was dumb as gently caress because OBVIOUSLY its DR WHO

The Torchwood - Doctor Who anagram didn't tip you off?
:goonsay: