Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Yeah I thought so too but Maro answered some questions about it and there apparently aren't that many ways to use it in interesting ways. Like on large creatures it doesn't do anything and if your creatures are small enough it just works like can't be blocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Entropic posted:

Really? It feels like one of those kinda-boring-but-plays-well creature mechanics that's easy to tack on to common creatures to keep combat interesting along the lines of Menace. I mean it's obviously not splashy but makes sense to me as a black-blue creature keyword.

The problem is if you have too many "evergreen" mechanics, things start turning into keyword soup. Which is the big problem that actually motivated the whole "cutting back on recurring mechanics" thing in the first place.

We might see skulk crop up again in the future (possibly in innistrad mk 3 or something), but blue and black already have their own evasion abilities, and it's not like you really need an extra ten just so every colour pair can have their own.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
There's bound to be some cool flavor cards, but at this point I'm sick of the eldrazi.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
Hey you know this really cool plane we built on Gothic Horror and how we had a bunch of interesting and cool tribes the first time around?

Yeah :fuckoff:, ME'MRAKUL.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Rinkles posted:

There's bound to be some cool flavor cards, but at this point I'm sick of the eldrazi.

These crazy Eldrazi horrors are right up my goddamn alley. After this set, they'll probably be gone for a long, long time.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Kilo147 posted:

These crazy Eldrazi horrors are right up my goddamn alley. After this set, they'll probably be gone for a long, long time.

It's okay, next block we can have crazy phyrexian horrors

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I actually really like the look of these Eldrazi because they are similarly hosed up in a way that still remains in the horror genre. Sure it's more lovecraft than gothic now, but hosed up flesh abominations on a cosmic level is pretty much the only way you can "ramp" the threat level in Innistrad now. It reminds me a lot of Darkest Dungeon's designs, and many have mentioned seeing a lot of Bloodborne in it. The thing is, it's not like this is just a repeat of BFZ/OGW. It doesn't feel like those sets, the Eldrazi feel entirely different on Zendikar, where they just felt like monsters. I think they're putting double sided cards to good use here by showing off the horrific corruption across Innistrad.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I was hoping the looming evil would have a more subtle influence on the setting, rather than another outright war against monsters.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Rinkles posted:

I was hoping the looming evil would have a more subtle influence on the setting, rather than another outright war against monsters.

It did in the last set, driving almost everybody mad.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

If all the Eldrazi in this set have cool John Carpenter / David Cronenburg flavour like that Hanweir cult, I'm fine with it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

mcmagic posted:

I might be interested in flipping this...

Now that is a strong card with some goddamn flavor. Just have to hope the flip side is somewhat playable.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Rinkles posted:

pacing is a casualty of the move from 3 to 2 sets

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Jabor posted:

The problem is if you have too many "evergreen" mechanics, things start turning into keyword soup. Which is the big problem that actually motivated the whole "cutting back on recurring mechanics" thing in the first place.

We might see skulk crop up again in the future (possibly in innistrad mk 3 or something), but blue and black already have their own evasion abilities, and it's not like you really need an extra ten just so every colour pair can have their own.

They're explicitly looking for a reusable b/u overlap creature keyword because every other colour pair has one. I think they said it helps a lot for hybrid cards?
For anyone playing at home:
w/u flying
w/b lifelink
w/r first strike
w/g vigilance
u/b ???
u/r prowess
u/g flash
b/r menace
b/g deathtouch
r/g trample

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Jabor posted:

True, but I think they are specifically trying to find a keyword for each color pair.

EDIT: dammit.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I don't get it, is there a reason Emrakul is a beatnik? Is it referencing something?
Well, if no one else is going to post the original:

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Now that is a strong card with some goddamn flavor. Just have to hope the flip side is somewhat playable.

A land with some kind of super delirium flip condition? Maybe something madness related or a reward for being hellbent?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Well, if no one else is going to post the original:

I wonder if the Chinese counterfeiters will make one of these in foil for me

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

MoreLikeTen posted:

pacing is a casualty of the move from 3 to 2 sets

I dunno, I've said it before and I'll say it again: having each block be its own planet-of-the-week, with no real connection to the blocks immediately before and after it, was dumb for pacing even at 3 sets.

If you think of it as having four sets in a row of the Eldrazi plot that just happens to be spread across two planes, rather than two sets of Zendikar and two sets of Innistrad, it's actually more consecutive sets spent on a single metaplot enemy than we've had in quite some time. Not to say the pacing isn't still poo poo, but that's my point.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

If you think an entire town turning into a writhing mass of goo is boring and doesn't match Innistrad's theme because the word Eldrazi is on the card you might be a dumb babby.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'm with you. I still run Emrakul in tron and I really want to make a proxy with Emracool, the Eons Hip.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I feel like these writhing flesh horrors are distinctly different than the things in bfz block. Those were just weird animals, these are people transformed by the presence of an elder god into horrific abominations. I really wish the creature type present was horrors however, not eldrazi, so I'll give that point away. But seriously, come on, this rules.

This is so loving bloodborne, which owns

As a final note, kozilek got screwed. Emrakul warped a plane, ulamog tried to eat one, and kozilek...did pretty much nothing. They should have saved him for a later set.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I have barely seen any mtg players eating fossilized umbilical cords so maybe slow y'alls rolls on the bloodborne comp

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

JerryLee posted:

I dunno, I've said it before and I'll say it again: having each block be its own planet-of-the-week, with no real connection to the blocks immediately before and after it, was dumb for pacing even at 3 sets.

If you think of it as having four sets in a row of the Eldrazi plot that just happens to be spread across two planes, rather than two sets of Zendikar and two sets of Innistrad, it's actually more consecutive sets spent on a single metaplot enemy than we've had in quite some time. Not to say the pacing isn't still poo poo, but that's my point.

I like having separate planes being separate. Jace and the Superfriends and gently caress off for a while now. Let's go back to Lorwyn/Shadowmoor and not have hose cock bags in the set.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Kozilek... killed Lorthos?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I like having separate planes being separate. Jace and the Superfriends and gently caress off for a while now. Let's go back to Lorwyn/Shadowmoor and not have hose cock bags in the set.

But Lorwyn is where they started.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Loaned out all my good decks and played blue tron at modern night, 2-2. Slaver locked 4? times I believe, winning games I had no business winning. Lost to mulliganing a ton, poor luck tonight. Epiphany at the Drownyard is totally bonkers in blue tron.

Highlight was round 1 game 1. My opponent is a pretty casual guy who shows up sometimes with wonky decks. Turn 1 he plays land, SSG, SSG, Krark's Thumb, mana clash. Even funnier is that we hit all heads on the first try.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This is a very important video, and it has singlehandedly validated the existence of EMA as a set.

SaffronOlive drafted a deck featuring UR Burning Vengeance+Worldgorger Dragon Combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojY7KFd0xpM

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

Kozilek... killed Lorthos?

Yup. Sliced him right in half, with almost no effort.

Kozilek did a bunch of poo poo in his brief existance. Helped Ulamog finish leveling Sea Gate, murdered a giant Octopus, made some cool rear end Eldrazi.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Count Bleck posted:

Yup. Sliced him right in half, with almost no effort.

Kozilek did a bunch of poo poo in his brief existance. Helped Ulamog finish leveling Sea Gate, murdered a giant Octopus, made some cool rear end Eldrazi.

That sure is a set's worth of accomplishments, and not essentially stuff Ulamog would probably have just done on his own

RIP Lorthos tho, died so that the power rangers could seem more heroic

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
it's not often that a giant octopus gets stuffed into a fridge to try to give the heroes some motivation

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I guess I see "Jace and the Superfriends are annoying cockbags" as being a separate problem. It's possible to have a metaplot that clearly and continuously ties the blocks together without a protagonist that constantly begs to be given a swirlie.

The funny bit is that Jace was more tolerable on Innistrad than he'd been in forever, probably because he mostly stood out of the way of the plot and, when he showed up, he was literally following the clues left by someone who'd done all the work beforehand

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i can't stop touching this hot stove!!! - magic players that hate jace, and the metaplot, but continue to keep up with it

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

GeneX posted:

This is a very important video, and it has singlehandedly validated the existence of EMA as a set.

SaffronOlive drafted a deck featuring UR Burning Vengeance+Worldgorger Dragon Combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojY7KFd0xpM

The pure joy in that man's voice

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jace is honestly a pretty bland, but not particularly hateable, character

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm able to pick up a playset of Collected Company for 50$ tomorrow so I can think about building Bant Humans, even though I already own W/r.

I'm having second thoughts though, because I fear it may plummet in price once it rotates. I know the card sees play in Modern, and I feel like its power level is pretty high, so it might not take much to push it into broken territory down the road and end up being one of those 50+ dollar cards.

Thoughts Goons?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DangerDongs posted:

I'm able to pick up a playset of Collected Company for 50$ tomorrow so I can think about building Bant Humans, even though I already own W/r.

I'm having second thoughts though, because I fear it may plummet in price once it rotates. I know the card sees play in Modern, and I feel like its power level is pretty high, so it might not take much to push it into broken territory down the road and end up being one of those 50+ dollar cards.

Thoughts Goons?

There's no way its plummeting. A Tier 1 Modern deck is named after the card.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

There's no way its plummeting. A Tier 1 Modern deck is named after the card.

Thank you sir. I recently got back in to Magic, and back in the day Modern didn't exist. We played Extended, so I don't really know whats good or not in it other than the basic staples like Bob and Thoughtseize.
I also found out Modern (baby legacy) isn't a rotating format, and that made me kind of sad.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

How much play did the original Emrakul see in standard and extended? Was it ever played in legitimate ramp decks (Tron doesn't count)?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DangerDongs posted:

Thank you sir. I recently got back in to Magic, and back in the day Modern didn't exist. We played Extended, so I don't really know whats good or not in it other than the basic staples like Bob and Thoughtseize.
I also found out Modern (baby legacy) isn't a rotating format, and that made me kind of sad.

The only reason its not $40-50 now is that it was in an Event Deck.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I think people tried running it in some summoning trap decks, altho it never really caught on since prime time and avenger of zendikar were both plenty enough for the knockout.

I think it also saw sideboard play as tech against archive trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

all the art so far has been real good, on a whole different level than bfz

• Locked thread