Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Jackie, Phoebe, Ursa, Realga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Zack, Zack, Phoebe, Milly

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.
Watching that Golem fight makes me wonder why we've even been bothering with healers, though I think I'll have my answer with some of the upcoming bosses.

Zack, Colette, Nadia, Phoebe.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tyler, Jackie, Realga, Ursa

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Tyler, Jackie, Colette, Phoebe

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Tyler, Nadia, Colette, Phoebe.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
If I'm not mistaken, Ancient Hermits can also summon an Asterius after a few turns.

Allstone posted:

Jackie, Phoebe, Ursa, Realga

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

I'm Doctor Shibbo, and this is Jackass.
Nap Ghost
Freyja, Phoebe, Sophie, Stardust

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Zach, Tyler, Milly, Ursa.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Ursa, Rheine, Zach, Asriel.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Zack, Colette, Phoebe, Sophie

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Zack, Zack, Sophie, Ursa.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Current results are:

quote:

Phoebe: 10
Zack: 9
Ursa: 6
Tyler: 4
Colette: 4
Jackie: 4

Sophie: 3
Realga: 3
Milly: 3
Freyja: 2
Ranger: 1
Asriel: 1
Rheine: 1
Stardust: 1

...Uh-oh.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Phoebe, Zack, Ursa, Colette.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Phoebe, Zack, Tyler, Colette

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Current results are:

...Uh-oh.

Well, this is going interesting places.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Golem's boss theme in this game is the Stratum boss music instead of Scatter About. What the gently caress is this poo poo? :argh:

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Ursa, Tyler, Colette, Jackie

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Ursa, Tyler, Colette, Jackie

Ditto this

The bear must fight the chicken it is law.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Golem's boss theme in this game is the Stratum boss music instead of Scatter About. What the gently caress is this poo poo? :argh:

scatter about is poo poo

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I'm closing voting before the results get any worse.

quote:

Phoebe: 12
Zack: 11
Ursa: 9
Colette: 8
Tyler: 7

Jackie: 6
Nadia: 4
Sophie: 3
Realga: 3
Milly: 3
Freyja: 2
Stardust: 2
Ranger: 1
Rheine: 1
Asriel: 1

The Master Bird party is Zack, Colette, Tyler, Phoebe, Ursa.

What the gently caress am I even going to do with this.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Ragnar Homsar posted:

What the gently caress am I even going to do with this.

Cry like a Mighty Number 9 backer on release day. That's what I've been doing.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 58: The Glitz Pit

A giant chicken that wants t' rumble? Heh heh, my kinda monster! Let's get t' it!
Uh, are you sure? With this party?
Rrrr...
You'll be fine behind my shield, Ursa. Don't worry.
How many times have I stated that my War Edge only works with Nadia's poisons and Sophie's curses?

This party kinda sucks, but not as much as you'd think.

Firstly, the +10 STR food is in effect.

I reworked Zack and Tyler. Zack has Heavy Smash maxed out instead of passives and Chasers, and Tyler has Long Thrust maxed out instead of HP Up. Long Thrust is key to my strategy here.

You'll notice that Tyler is in the back row to start, by the way.

I'm not really "returning," but yeah, I guess I'm ready to fight.
I'm itchin' for a scrap, y' overgrown chicken! C'mere!
I see. So, you will come at me as a horde... Indeed, that is also a fine form of combat! Very well--show me what you are made of. Come forth, adventurers! Let us begin this deadly dance in the vortex of war! Our rhythm shall be the pounding of my heart! Bok...bokbokBOKBOK...!
RRRRRROR!
B'GAAWK!

This chicken perplexes and annoys me.

VIDEO: Boss Fight: Master Bird

A quick refresher on Master Bird's stats:

quote:

Master Bird
HP: 30000, STR: 82, TEC: 61, VIT: 55, AGI: 54, LUC: 58
Skills:
  • Dread Stare: Uses the head. Reduces the party's physical attack by 30% for 4 turns. Attempts to inflict fear on the party, with a 50% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier.
  • Chi Burst: Uses the legs. Deals 200% melee STR-based Bash damage to one party member. Attempts to inflict paralysis on the target, with a 60% base chance. Has no speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Phoenix Strike: Uses the arms. Deals 300% melee STR-based Cut damage to one target, with splash damage. Attempts to bind hit targets' heads, with a 30% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Crimson Cyclone: Uses the arms. Deals 4-6 instances of 350% ranged TEC-based Fire damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Has a 60% speed modifier and 200 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Macho Plumage. 100% chance. Sells for 15000 en. 1 needed to make Fullface Helm (+1 DEF, +8 STR, -30% all damage and disable resistances, can be equipped by Beasts).
    "Plumage from a talking chicken. It flinches when you pluck it, so you kind of feel bad."
Damage resistances:
100% 125% 100% 50% 100% 125%
Disable resistances:
50% 75% 0% 0% 50% 50% 0%
0% 0% 10%
50% 25% 25%

The great chicken of legend, the enlightened master of several styles of martial arts.

This is, aside from one turn, the only thing Zack will be doing for the entire fight.

Master Bird always opens with Dread Stare, and if nothing else, I want to guarantee that Zack and Colette herself will be safe from the fear.

Ursa takes advantage of the fact that Master Bird is not attacking this turn to set up Protection Vow.

What else is Phoebe supposed to do this turn?

I said last update that Tyler will open basically every fight with Delayed Charge.

I make no promises.

They aren't necessary.

Phoebe's damage is already trash, and the back row melee penalty doesn't help one bit.

Just gimme a little bit, I swear!

Heavy Smash starts out dealing bad damage, but its damage (and TP cost) increases with each cast. It's the "ultimate" axe skill, which just means it's the best of a mediocre skill tree.

I could spam Barrier in anticipation of Chi Burst, but that's not really worth it.

Between Front Guard's 70% phys reduction, Hit-Taker's 45% reduction, and Protection Vow's 45% reduction, Ursa takes little damage from physical attacks.

Long Thrust is ranged, and is legitimately the highest-damage Highlander skill (excluding Delayed Charge) if Spear Assist isn't an option, with 380% damage at level 20 (Spear Assist does 185% base at 20, 390% with an element).

Much like the Golem fight, I don't turn on Hero Battle yet, in order to make sure I'll have it when Delayed Charge is ready.

Didn't expect a spear from all the way back here, huh?

Mrrh.

Waagh!
I presume the axe is incredibly heavy, if you're dropping it like that.

Axe skills are unfortunately prone to missing.

Mind if I slice off a bit for Sophie?

Now it's Hero Battle time.

Honestly? For a class that's normally on the low end of damage, that's not terrible.

Grrr!

Well, crap.

Compare to earlier.

Suzaku Stance doesn't actually do anything besides change Master Bird's animation. It just telegraphs certain actions.

On the first cast, it means that Master Bird is about to use Phoenix Strike three times.
On the second cast, it means that Master Bird is about to use Phoenix Strike two times, and then Crimson Cyclone.
On all subsequent casts, it means that Master Bird is about to use Crimson Cyclone three times.

This is my only real way of purging off the paralysis.

A "hljóđ hindrun," nokkurs konar.

Fairy Robe heals the party at the start of the turn, purges off any current ailments, binds, and debuffs, and will guaranteed block all incoming ailments, binds, and debuffs on the turn that it's cast.

Ohhhhkay, those bulging veins...aren't just for show...
Ah!

Front Guard saved these two from otherwise certain death. Fairy Robe also stopped Colette from getting her head bound, which would've been really bad.

Aw, come on, Zack! Y' can do better n' that!
Gimme a break, I hate using these oversized pieces of crap!

Heavy Smash is at full power now, so Zack enables Full Charge.

I have Colette patch up Zack, in case something bad happens to Ursa.

Delayed Charge is ready, so Tyler switches to the front row, and will use Cross Charge.

In strength, is healing.

Yer feathers aren't much good against my spear!

Ursa takes about half of the damage that Zack and Colette did, mostly because the only DEF she has on is from her collar, plus 1 DEF from the Bikini Armor.

Thank you for not missing, Zack.

I've mentioned this before, but War Heal activates at both the start and end of the turn.

Tyler moves back to the back, and Colette will patch up Ursa.

And Tyler preps another Delayed Charge.

War Heal is usually kind of on the low end of heal amounts, but Ursa's Self-Heal Amp effect means it heals for a pretty respectable amount.

And the end-of-turn heal means that it patches up whatever damage Ursa took during the turn. I've been extolling the virtues of the Medic and Beast pair throughout most of the LP, but War Magi and Beasts are pretty decent together too.

I've damaged Master Bird so much that he skipped right to the next Suzaku Stance.

Full Gain will deal more damage than Heavy Smash at the low cost of 0 TP.

I want Zack to keep contributing to the fight, so I have Colette restore his TP.

For a party that's, in theory, really goddamn terrible, taking off a little over 15000 HP in 7 turns isn't bad.

Hammer DOWN! ...Or axe down. Whatever works.

This is a dumb mistake made purely out of curiosity. Why?

That's why. I dunno what the gently caress happened there, but I don't think Sentinel Guard and Hit-Taker play together nicely. It seems like Ursa just straight-up didn't get any reduction at all.

That is IT! I'm going back to swords after this fight, I can't take dropping this thing any more!

Meh.

This is the Crimson Cyclone turn, and Phoebe's shield skills are disabled. (Ursa takes this turn to reapply Protection Vow.)

Again, we're not doing terribly!

Nope, didn't feel that.

loving CHRIST, ZACK

Master Bird's about to spam Crimson Cyclone.

Phoebe has nothing else to do aside from negating one hit of Crimson Cyclone on Ursa.

Delayed Charge is ready once more.

I can keep doing this until yeh give!

Manageable with Desperation.

Master Bird's on the verge of death, and Tyler will snipe him at the start of the turn.

Those giant muscles're no match fer a HERO!

Master Bird hits pretty hard, but he's still manageable with a full party.

You did not merely add your strengths, but multiplied each others'... Together, you were stronger than any single one could be!
drat straight.
This... This is why battle drives me on! This is why adventurers inspire me onward!
SYSTEM: With that triumphant bellow, the crested bird rises from its defeated slump, and begins to quietly flap its wings...!
There are many more powerful beings in this world. And I am weak. Yes... I understand I am a mere weakling. However... I have met those who stand at the horizon! I know now further challenges and a new world of battle await me! Now, take this! Another adventurer had left it behind, but it should be owned by those of true strength.

This is what all the talk about different ways to fight Master Bird was about. What accessory he gives you here depends on the party you fought him with. A five-person party gives you the Bronze Belt, which gives +30 HP and +2 to all stats.

A two-person party give the Silver Belt (+60 HP, +3 all stats), and a solo victory gives Gold Belt (+100 HP, +5 all stats).

Farewell, mighty hero! When we meet again... I will be unlike what I am now! I shall train myself even further, until the glorious day I can surpass you! Until then... I will depart! To an unknown training ground!
Wait wait wait, tell me where this training ground--

...Is.
SYSTEM: If its words are true, then it won't be coming back for quite some time. You have completed the quest! When you have time, you should visit the bar to report your progress.

Seems like yeh took it out! Haven't had any more folks reportin' incidents.
I dunno if we actually "took it out." He just kinda...flew off on his own t' train some more.
Eh? Yeh couldn't defeat it? So...a talkin' chicken flew up into the sky, and...went off to go train somewhere...
C'mon, Cass, don't give us that look.
Uh, yyyyeah... I see... Man, I've been askin' yeh lot to do too much recently. Yeh must be pretty lightheaded...
It is true. The talking chicken did fly off to train some more. And, yes, I am perfectly lucid.
Yeah...yeah, of course. If a chicken can speak, ain't any reason it couldn't fly, too. Juuust take it easy. Here's yer reward. Now I want yeh lot to promise me yeh'll get a good rest at the inn, awright? Yeh need someone to walk yeh?
We're all fine, Cass. Thanks for worryin', though.

I'm gonna get Zack on swords as soon as axes stop outpacing them in damage by a massive degree.

More passives.

Colette starts leveling up War Heal All.

...Oh, right, we technically advanced in the 6th Stratum. That means everyone has new dialogue, and new quests. I forgot to do town dialogue this update, but I did remember the bar patrons.

Dulcet-voiced caster:

Oh, my, if it isn't Lumen... Hmhm. I've gotten quite used to seeing you around at the bar like this. My brother and I...well, we're moving forward. The new stratum is a dangerous place, so we tread carefully. Ah, but speaking of careful...another monster comes to mind. I think his name was Mr. Bloody Lizard. He uses his frill to recover the health of the monsters around him. How prudent. Perhaps I'm being paranoid like my brother...but it is quite an eyesore. I kill it immediately whenever it shows its face.
That ain't paranoia, that's common sense.
The longer the battle goes on, the more risk I put my brother under, after all... If I'm being truthful, I didn't mean for our exploration through the forest to go for this long. But my brother looks up to you. You started your journey around the same time as us, so I suppose I'll have to keep him happy... Please continue to inspire my younger brother, hm? After all, if you don't... Hmhmhm.
Please don't laugh at us like that.

Leggy dark hunter:

Hmm? You're... Wait. Are you from Lumen!?
Correct. We've just returned from combat with a giant, talking chicken.
Y'know, when y' say it that bluntly, Cass's concern makes sense.
I've heard a lot about you. They say you're the best adventurers in town. Hmhmhm. I'm not so bad myself, you know. I was in a really famous guild, back in the town I was in before I came here.

She's not kidding, incidentally. In EOU, the leggy dark hunter is a recurring bar patron, and she fulfills the same purpose that Tramonte and Marmott did--telling you about conditional drops. You got info out of her by buying her food, however, meaning you actually had to pay small amounts of en for the info.

I came all the way here hoping for some new monsters that would really get my blood pumping...and I found them, alright... The food here is cheaper, too, so I'm thinking maybe I'll hang around here for a little while... Did you already meet Icy Bulb? What an adorable little thing. You know how there's so much fog around where the poor little darling is? It's so thick, you can't see a thing... But it seems you're not the only one who can't see straight--the little one can't see through the fog either. Hmhm. Isn't that just adorable? It gets overexcited and ends up tripping over its own traps...

New quests.

The volt king's rampage:

Yeh remember the quest with that letter? From an unknown sender and whatnot? ...Well, another one's appeared. Said "I'll wait for you at the Temple of Wings on the 20th floor." Yeh probably know what it's talkin' about. Hurry up and go.

You aren't exactly giving us much info, Cass.
Hmm? I ain't tellin' yeh much? Hrmph. Quiet, yeh. Yeh won't even tell me who the client is.

Waagh!
Is the floatin' castle collapsin' again?!

In a sec. Tell us about that other quest real quick.

Hey, there yeh are. How yeh feelin' these days? Doin' some crazy stuff?
Not as crazy as yeh immediately forgettin' about that explosion! C'mon, out with the info, we got stuff t' take care of!
Oh, that quest. That one's from the Grand Duchy. I say yeh should take it.
Is there any particular reason this is not posted as a mission?
Hmm? Why wasn't it announced publicly as a proper mission? Haw haw haw! Yeh lot are too honest, really. Yeh should try bein' a little cunning sometimes too. Listen. Anythin' the Grand Duchy decrees is an absolute order to yeh adventurers. No matter how small, or how dangerous, someone snaps it up the moment it's announced. Everyone gets a crack at it. So sometimes the Grand Duchy comes to us pubs and puts in requests, and has us find explorers fit for a particular job. Lemme lay it out for yeh--they're gonna
be payin' yeh through this! Make sense now? Eh, either way, I don't think it's gonna be a problem. Head to the Palace, and ask the minister about this. Awright, g'luck!

This quest is needed to reach a postgame boss, incidentally.

Send the citizens to take refuge at the Palace! We're going to need some healers for the wounded!
Can't even get more than a few days off... Stardust got to go blow up a giant rock monster, but I get to help with a disaster... Grrr...
...Oh, Lumen! Are you all alright!?
Yeah, we were in the bar! What the hell happened out here?!
The town was attacked by something. This area's mostly clear, but the West Ward is in ruins...!
Ah, come on! We put so much money into it!
Someone heard a sound like a roar, and saw bolts of lightning strike down on the city. Someone also said that a golden figure appeared from the sky, but we can't afford to go chasing visions with all this chaos!
A golden figure shootin' lightning. Sounds suspiciously like somethin' the others fought already.

We'll go talk to Canaan about whatever just happened here later. For now, let's go to the palace.

We are here regarding that quest about a grave.
Come for the quest, have you? I see...it eases my mind to know that you've taken it. Let's discuss specifics. You haven't been in High Lagaard for long, so perhaps you haven't heard of the story of the Ice King. The term refers to one of High Lagaard's legendary heroes... One of its wisest rulers, as well. His name derives from his icy calm and snow-white complexion, and a rather frigid bearing. He was a grand master at using whips. Some called him the “White Ivy of Lagaard." A day or so ago, we discovered a vault containing many ancient documents, including new information on the Ice King. Guarded by the forest, the Ice King sleeps amid eternal snow, under the blue reptile's gaze. Those are the words we've found. What do you make of this?
A blue reptile... Nope, can't think of anything. Makes no sense.
No matter how often I read it, I can think of no meaning for “ancient forest" save Yggdrasil itself. It may well be that the Ice King's grave lies within that mysterious forest...
Oh. Yeah, that makes sense.
Could you enter the Frozen Grounds and locate the grave of the Ice King? Reading further, it seems the way there is hidden on the 14th floor. I'll mark the place of the gate that apparently leads to the Ice King's tomb.

I expect great things from you. May luck be with you.

And to close out the update, this thing.

Fullface Helm (+1 DEF, -30% all damage and disable resistances, +8 STR, can be equipped by Beasts) is unlocked by selling 1 Macho Plumage. If you're relying on a Beast to tank for your party, this thing is a really great piece of equipment for your damage dealers, especially since you can stack it with a Brawn Ring. If you're relying on a Protector, I really wouldn't recommend it, though.

Next time: the path to the Storm Emperor.

Rea fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 23, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

"The building's collapsing! We have to get out of here!"

"But we're not done accepting all of the quests yet."

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

alcharagia posted:

scatter about is poo poo

I don't disagree, but it is tradition for Golem to have the song, and it not having Scatter About as its boss theme goes against everything Etrian Odyssey stands for. :colbert:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

I don't disagree, but it is tradition for Golem to have the song, and it not having Scatter About as its boss theme goes against everything Etrian Odyssey stands for. :colbert:
EO3 says hello.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 21: The Snow Blooms

We'll start off this update by tackling the Art imitating life quest properly, since Ragnar accidentally fulfilled the requirements already in his playthrough.

The workers gave me a list of what they want from the forest. It's... oh, what they want you to find is... just 1 set of Red Foreleg! I think you can get them from a dragonfly monster in the white forest. When you have it, just sell it to me. I'll take care of the rest! Please be careful!

After selling the required item to her...

The workers will be so happy... They can do a lot that they've never tried before! There should be new items in stock soon! I can't wait to see them, either! I'll keep doing my best to make your journey safer. Try not to get hurt, okay? A-And if you do get hurt... Don't die... Promise me! And if we need anything else, you have to be the ones to help, okay?

And that's it. Now let's go hunt for the Snow Blooms.

Heads up... there's a big one ahead.

Bertrand quietly points to a dreadful-looking, multi-headed dragon, that poses quite a threat indeed! You stop yourself from gasping, but the monster seems to be in a deep slumber and shows no sign of noticing you regardless.

Knight, do you think that monster with all the necks might be the one?

In answer to the black-robed girl's question, you focus on the monster's nature... But you sense no special powers from this adversary.

It's sleeping... There is little point in waking it up, yes?
Yeah...

It would be foolhardly to wake such an obviously dangerous opponent solely to fight it. You quietly distance yourselves from the slumbering monster and move on.

...It kind of reminds me of Trand.
How?
The way it doesn't wake up even when we walk past it.

True...
You think so too, Knight?
Come to mention it... He does have a similar air about him...
D-Dude, you really shouldn't compare him to this... this... pfft, hahaha!
You little...!

You chat whimsically about the monster as you return to exploring.

You find a guard in the ice-capped forest shivering from the frigid atmosphere. When he notices you, he speaks in a pained voice.

H-Hello, members of Guild... Did you f-f-find the flowers? We're... k-k-keeping up the search, too... b-but there's still no sign of them. We've been staying out of danger and only searching during the day... M-Maybe we're not searching a wide enough area?

But the Snow Blooms were definitely witnessed on the 12th floor, right?
Th-That's what were t-t-told, yes.
Then it's here. Maybe something else needs to happen first.

You tell the trembling guard that you'll continue searching, and bid him farewell to return to your own investigation.

Hm...? Look, there's a funny-shaped crystal here.

You inspect the spot Flavio is indicating, which is in a bit of shade. In the corner sits an oddly-shaped ice crystal.

Looks like... a flower bud? Maybe it'll bloom after a while.
It's daylight now. Shall we return and see if it's grown tonight?

You note to yourself the odd crystal's location and decide to return later tonight.

And Story mode continues to hand hold you at this point, spelling out the answer in case all the clues for the solution went over your head. So yeah, come back at night to harvest the Snow Blooms. Oh and here's an audio only conversation that can play in the 3rd Stratum.

Ooh! It's pretty chilly!
Ngh. When you stay still, it feels as if the cold is seeping through to your very core.
You moron. I'm colder.
Whoa! You're cold as ice, old man! I can feel it just standing next to you!
It's tough wearing this metal armor, you know?
P-Please! Don't come near us!
Trand seems like he's having fun.

Anyways, I come back to the 12th floor at night.

Everyone hold it...! Look at that...

You look where Flavio indicates to see the familiar figure of the multi-headed dragon!

Gracious... it was fast asleep when we encountered it last, but it seems to be awake and alert now...
In other words, dangerous.
Hmph. It sleeps during the day and stays up all night? That's not good for it.
Don't forget the ice on the ground, Knight. If we're not careful, that thing'll catch us.

Just as Bertrand says, you'll have to be conscious of the icy floor if you hope to avoid the dragon. And not only that... you must keep in mind that the dragon is mainly active after the sun sets. There are many things to be mindful of as you resume your exploration of the snowy forest.

The flower blooms alone in the frigid night air...

How beautiful... This flower is made of ice.
Sir Knight, might this be the Snow Bloom?

No reason to not take it.

You reach out to pluck the flower blooming quietly in the snow... The Snow Bloom is cold to the touch, yet it shows no sign of melting as you hold it in your warm hands. You cautiously tuck the flower away into your pack.

Three more and our task is done.
There don't seem to be any more of the same breed here. Shall we try looking elsewhere?

You return to your investigation in search of the rest of the Snow Blooms.

This makes two of them. Let's hurry up and find the rest.

I take the Snow Bloom.

Halfway there. Let's go look somewhere else now.

You return to your investigation in search of the rest of the Snow Blooms.

There's something over there.

You squint and can just make out a small animal trembling in the snow. The animal shows no sign of fear in your presence. It chirps brightly and comes closer to nuzzle your feet. You feel strangely sure that you've seen this behavior before...

Might it be cold? It's trembling...

Oops. The game forgot to take off the name tag there.

Hey, gotta help out a freezing animal. Besides, this one isn't a squirrel, so I'm sure we can trust it.

You kneel down and gently reach out a hand so as not to startle it. But at that moment...!

Eek!
What the--That thing just got into our stuff!

The small animal's speed in slipping into your belongings and running off carrying something belies its earlier frailty...!

It took something...

OH COME ON! :argh:

Didn't something like this happen to us before...? It was a different animal then, but...

YOU MEAN THE SQUIRREL HAS FRIENDS!?

It took our belongings without so much as allowing us to stroke it… That's not right...

We got ripped off!
I utterly and wholeheartedly agree!
Uh, you guys...? Don't you think it's weird to be angrier about that than losing our thread?

Either way, it is too late to pursue the animal through this snow. You chalk the affair up as a reminder of the ruthlesness of this forest, as you nervously continue your journey.

What an immense cluster of ice...
Boy, it's huge. Way bigger than me...

Let's hit it.

You decide to give the ice block a light whack to test its solidity. Your fist rings out with a heavy thud, indicating clearly how large and firm the block of ice is. Not only that, but when you lightly struck the large block, you felt it move a little.

It's not stuck to the floor. And it's on that slippery ice.
Ah, of course! This means we can move the block at will, no?
Probably.

Let's push it.

I'm still not sure I believe we can actually move something this huge...
But hey, it's worth a try!
Manual labor, huh? Figures...

You try pushing the large cluster of ice with your guildmates...

Without much effort, the cluster easily slides on the icy ground to the wall on the far end of the path. It seems these blocks of ice can be easily manipulated across the slick surfaces of the Stratum.

Maybe we can get past blocked places like this.

You file this discovery regarding the blocks of ice away as you return to your exploration.

Shouldn't we finish up the Minister's request first? It did seem pretty important to them.

You suppose that if someone in urgent need of medicine, it would be callow to put this task off for later. You decide to return to your search for the Snow Blooms.

Take it already, Knight.

I do so.

One left. Let's look somewhere else.

And here's the last Snow Bloom.

Alright, we've got four now. That's all the Minister said they needed!
Let us return swiftly to deliver them to him. Oh, won't he be pleased?

You decide to return to town for now to report back to the Grand Duchy.

Excuse me, but I must deliver these at once!

I guess we won't be finding out who's sick after all.

Why not sneak in and see?
I'm pretty sure that's a crime!
Instead of saying the first thing that comes into your head all the time, maybe stop and think things over for once.
...... Hey, Knight. Something's going on over there.
Huh?

...Did I just hear him say “Lady”?
N-No way... Really?

Minister Dubois has apprised me of the situation. You have my thanks for carrying out the mission.
The Lady of High Lagaard...!?
Ah, Arianna, first princess of Caledonia. I am truly sorry that we were never formally acquainted until now. You came to perform a particular ritual, yet you have dutifully carried out our requests. My deepest thanks for that.
Oh no... It was my pleasure.
I'm certain that my father will recover thanks to your efforts, Guild Guild...
L-Lady Gradriel, you mustn't...!
No, Minister Dubois. They have the right to know. The patient who requires the medicine we seek to brew is the Duke himself, ruler of this land.
No...!
Wait, the duchy's highest leader is sick...? That's the first I've heard of this.
Of course it is! If other nations knew that the Duke, known for his valor, was struck ill, we could be in great peril. And it is no ordinary ailment... Many doctors and healers have thrown up their hands over this intractable disease. This is a closely guarded secret within High Lagaard! You had best keep it close to heart.
Minister. They have their own duties in this land, yet they have helped us at every turn. I will not abide you speaking to them in this way.
Hrmm... My Lady, this is a very ticklish situation, diplomatically speaking...
I understand this, of course. However... Is that not the very reason that we should deal with them in good faith?
Hrmmm...
I apologize for that disgraceful sight. As the Minister has told you, the Duke of High Lagaard is ill with a grave ailment. Formally, we encourage exploration to get at the floating castle, and to prove the ancient lore of our duchy. But in truth, it is because one of these texts has revealed that the means to cure the Duke's ailment lies there.
And that involves the Snow Blooms somehow?
Yes and no. The Snow Blooms are but one part of it. Our true prize lies within that castle. What we seek is known as the Grail of Kings. This artifact, which rests in the center of the floating castle, has the power to heal any illness...
Any illness!? Can such a thing truly exist?
If the memoirs left by the founding Queen of High Lagaard are to be believed... yes, it can. It does. Our nation can ill afford to lose its Duke right now. But more than that... he is all that remains of my family. I wish to save my father...
Lady Gradriel...
...Still, my joy at securing your cooperation is considerable. What we have learned through our guards is that acquiring the Snow Blooms proved more difficult than we anticipated. It seems gauche to thank you by way of a monetary reward, but we have no other recompense to offer. Please accept this in the spirit it is meant.

More money and exp.

I am flattered that you would ask, Lady Gradriel.
Though we have faced setbacks, all is well, thanks to my compatriots in the Guild Guild.
...Isn't that so, Sir Knight?
Ha... I see the princess trusts you implicitly. Knight, yes? I hope you will maintain your support of Arianna.

I will, my Lady.
How steadfast of you. I expect Arianna is able to devote herself to this important task primarily because of your support. I do envy you all... If only I could venture into the forest myself, as you do, that I might save my father...
Out of the question, my Lady! With the Duke ill, if anything were to befall you, what would become of our duchy!?
I am aware, Minister. Your business in the forest will last for some time, no? I know that you are in the thick of your ritual... But should you discover any information on the floating castle as you go, I urge you to share it with the Grand Duchy. I shall be praying for the success of your ritual, Arianna.

Gradriel leaves.

In truth, Lady Arianna... no guild has been further than the third Stratum thus far. Even greater danger will await you past this point. Though you go for the sake of your ritual, do take care.

She wants to save her sick father...
I have heard... that she is the Duke's only child. And Lady Gradriel lost her mother when she was still very young.
So, the Duke's the only family she has left...
If my dad was sick, or got hurt... I'd do anything to heal him. Even important people think the same way we do.
Yeah... you're right. ...I don't really have any family of my own, but I guess that's also exactly why I want to help her.

There must be something we can do.
Heh, agreed!
Trand? Are you feeling okay...?
Eh... It's nothing. What? Isn't this how I usually act?
Now that I think about it... Sir Bertrand, you don't seem to be as spirited as usual.
You're imagining things, kid. All I need is a hot meal and I'll be all good.
Meal...
I want something to eat!
Wh--Hey! That's not what we need to discuss right now!
But we did just complete a mission... Why don't we go to the bar and have a celebration? Will that be alright, Sir Bertrand?
Yeah, yeah. ......

'Hungry guild'?
I'm talking about yeh lot. 'Cause yeh lot... uh... eat a lot. Especially--
I want to eat. A lot.
Yeah, yeah. I know the drill by now. Go on, eat to yer heart's content, kids!
It seems our visits have become quite the regular occurrence now.
Strange way of remembering us, though...
Not strange. Meat is delicious.
You kids are so energetic...
We should probably find a place to sit and eat now, yes...?
Yeah. C'mon, Chloe.

Chloe.png.

Anyways, back to the Labyrinth.

It is the two members of the Esbat Guild, whom you met several times on the 2nd Stratum.

...These guys... I wish we didn't keep running into them, but...

Upon hearing the young man's muttered comments, the duo turns to face you.

So you've come this far. I'd kind of hoped you wouldn't.

The woman's smile and voice are gentle as always, absent of the hostility she displayed last time. But you cannot guess whether she is so gentle out of kindness or melancholy... The woman says nothing more, and so her perpetual shadow, the marksman in black, opens his mouth to speak.

We wish to avoid a confrontation with you, if at all possible. Go no further. This is a warning... Hm, not quite. Call it a request from the Esbat Guild. We have no desire to see your blood spilt on Labyrinth grounds.

You turn a deaf ear to us, eh? But this will not sway us from our cause. If the time comes that we must cross swords... then we will not back down, even if it means dirtying our hands.
Stop that, Wilhelm. You've said too much. It's not like you.

After the woman sharply upbraids the elderly marksman, she turns her icy gaze upon you.

Whatever your situation, it has nothing to do with us. If you want to go on, then go on.
Milady!
It's useless to try and stop them. Their eyes say it all. They won't turn back for anything. But if you go forward from here... then you had best go prepared.

With that, the woman turns her back to you, apparently willing to let you pass. Though after a few paces, she stops and faces you again.

Hey. Can I know your name?

Why not?

Knight... Okay. I'll remember that.

The woman gives a small sigh.

We never did introduce ourselves, did we? My name is Artelinde, of Guild Esbat.
...I am Wilhelm.
It's not important that you remember it. It would be best if we never met again. Well then.

Dame Artelinde... They were both quite grave-seeming. What might she have meant to 'go prepared'...?
There was something weird going on with those two. I don't really know how to put it... They seemed frustrated... almost like they were in pain.
What the hell are we going to find in this forest?

You have many questions, but no one remains who can provide the answers. You decide to return to exploring the Labyrinth in search of a powerful enemy for the sake of the ritual.

At this point I go back to town to uh. Well just to restock. None of the townsfolk have new dialogue, even in Story.

There is a new bar patron, though.

Oh, Knight of Guild! I heard that you've been doing a lot. Seems like everyone's talking about you. So, what floor did you guys get to...? Wh-What? ...13 floors already!? ...... W-Well! I-I'm already, uh, o-on the 22nd floor! Mister Knight, old buddy, you need to catch up! Ahah. Y-Yep! Sure are a lot of strong monsters up there. And it sure is... Labyrinthy. Right. Yeah. It's... um... the Labyrinthest.
Good heavens... Truly, he is a paragon among explorers! We must strive to do our best as well!
Hey, lady. Glad to hear you're all pepped up, but keep this guy out of it, huh?
Sheesh... what's that guy trying to pull, feeding us all these dumb lies?

Anyways, I feel like taking another nap.

As you sit there, you hear a knock at your door. Who could it be at this hour...?

Now it's Chloe's turn.

It's open.

Are you hungry?
No, I'm full. But...
Trand's been acting strange. Not that different. But different. Sometimes he seems depressed, but then he looks fine. And he organizes his stuff a lot. Plus... he says weird things sometimes.
Like how it's good I'm getting along with Arianna, or if I'd be interested in going to the Library. He never used to act like that.

He's always been strange.
True. But it's rare for Trand to talk so much. What made him start?
It's always about what's coming. We're not even done with the ritual. We're going to be here a while. ...I feel like Trand is getting ready to leave us.

Do you really think so?
I... I'm not sure. Trand never talks about important stuff. I don't know a lot about him. It's weird to think about these things, though, right? I mean, Trand's never going to leave us.
Right?

Nobody's leaving.
Okay.
I feel a little better after talking with you about it. And now I'm sleepy, so I'm going back to my room. I'll see you tomorrow. Bye.

Alone again in your room, you have only the silence for company. You decide to rest in preparation for tomorrow.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 26, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Uh, did Ranger suddenly become the Sitoth Trading shopkeeper when I wasn't looking?

(You mixed up Fafnir and Abigail's portraits at the start.)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Abigail needs a break now and then. :colbert:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 59: Stardust Sky

I gotta get one last fight in before we let the others get back t' work!
I hear there are creatures that appear to be muscled bipedal bovines near the start of the 6th Stratum. Shall we fight them?
As long as that's the last thing we have to fight, sure. Honestly, I'm kinda doubting that the giant chicken was real...

Looks like the others weren't kiddin' about how nice this place is.
No kiddin'! It looks like where yeh'd go after death when yeh've lived a good life.
I was skeptical of Jackie and Ranger's idea, but with this place...
Is there any point to whispering yourself when you're in a group of people?
Y-you heard that?

Now THIS looks like a challenge! Come at me!

Asterius
HP: 25039, STR: 85, TEC: 65, VIT: 66, AGI: 46, LUC: 64
Skills:
  • Warhammer: Uses the arms. Deals 3-5 instances of 120% melee STR-based Bash damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Reduces the Asterius's physical defense by 50% for 4 turns after use. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Reversal Beat: Uses the arms. Purges all debuffs from the Asterius. Deals 200% (if 3 debuffs), 150% (if 2 debuffs), or 90% (if one debuff) melee STR-based Bash damage to the party. Has a 60% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Black Steel. 90% chance. Sells for 7680 en. 1 needed to make Shishinoko (+194 ATK, +3 VIT).
    "Fragments of the finest metal alloys. Metals made from this are unusually sharp."
  • Conditional: Black Ingot (Kill with Bash damage). 80% chance. Sells for 13600 en. 1 needed to make Crusader Armor (Protector ultimate armor; +114 DEF, +30 HP, +20 TP). 1 needed to make Apocalypse (Highlander ultimate armor; +98 DEF, +20 TP, +3 STR).
    "Chunk of quality steel struck with great impact. Good for making both weapons and armor."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 125% 125% 50%
Disable resistances:
50% 50% 25% 50% 25% 50% 25%
10% 10% 10%
25% 50% 50%

A head of a bull and a body of solid muscle. Your best shot is to break its giant axe...

As long as you don't stack debuffs on an Asterius, they're generally pretty manageable. Ursa can basically perpetually tank it with Phoebe, although she'd probably be in trouble on her own.

Notice how that conditional not only requires the least common physical damage type for actual damage dealers, it's also an 80% chance.

Much like the Master Bird fight, this is the only thing Zack will do.

There's nothing for Colette to block with Barrier.

Ursa should be pretty safe.

My strategy is literally identical to the Master Bird fight.

Meh.
Mrh.

I see this thing hates its axe as much as I hate mine.

Hatin' yer weapon isn't an excuse for bein' bad with it.

Sigh.

Hrr!
You're fine, don't worry.

Sigh again.

Well, why not?

Rrrk...!

This is what happens when Ursa doesn't have the 70% reduction of Front Guard and 45% reduction of Hit-Taker in effect.

Maybe I should've built an optimized party for this instead of sticking with the party I got stuck with for the chicken.

Make Ursa even tankier, sure, why not.

I'll rip and tear yer guts...n' your muscle, too!

Sad!

What I'd give to just keep the Warhammer debuff on at all times.

This is the only time in the entire game that I'll use Warmight, and it's because Colette ran out of things to do.

That was Reversal Beat, incidentally. I repeat: Sad!

Charge Smash depletes Zack's TP so quickly that I have to use Head Bash to finish off the Asterius.

ATLUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

It is exactly my luck that I'd fail to roll for the 80% conditional chance. gently caress it, I'll drop the difficulty to Picnic and get it, I deserve the conditional.

Mine by right, as well as by might.

A boring thing plus two not-boring things.

Shishinoko (+194 ATK, +3 VIT) is unlocked by selling 1 Black Steel.

Crusader Armor (Protector ultimate armor; +114 DEF, +30 HP, +20 TP) is made from 1 Black Ingot. While lots of DEF is kind of pointless for Protectors, frankly, these things are almost as much symbolic as they are practical, and as such, I buy Phoebe this thing immediately.

Apocalypse (Highlander ultimate armor; +98 DEF, +20 TP, +3 STR) is made from 1 Black Ingot. This is one of two times in the game where a conditional drop makes two different pieces of equipment. Tyler always appreciates more STR--he gets this thing immediately.

Can I please have an uninterrupted break?
No. You're suffering with the rest of us.
No tellin' when that dragon'll strike next. I'm in no rush, but Marion seemed pretty stressed 'bout it.
At least I am permitted time with who I would've spent a break with.
Those chicken slices tasted amazing! ...But I kinda felt bad eating them, and I dunno why.

This party was decided on a whim--a whim based around both painless exploration and getting conditional drops.

You might want to get used to not thinking about the Star too much.
Thank you for helping us evacuate the vault, before. We were able to finish moving our valuables after your departure. It would seem that you have encountered Klanvaline before.
If you mean "devoured" instead of "encountered," yeah!
It didn't seem to care about being killed, though. It just blew up most of the city.
That...must have been disastrous. Did it cause any damage to the city?
I just said it blew up most of the city. Not all, but most.
SYSTEM: You tell him that a part of the town has been all but destroyed. His expression clouds, a somber cast to his features.
That's...unfortunate indeed... Soon after the incident at the vault, it was seen flying to an earthbound city. I thought it best to warn you.
SYSTEM: He seems bitterly disappointed, but soon recovers his composure, and tells you of the monster that attacked.
Klanvaline... To you earthbound ones, he may be better known as the Storm Emperor. Much is unknown...but it is a member of a dragon tribe from ancient times. We treat it as you would treat a natural disaster.
SYSTEM: After a brief moment of silence, he looks at you with a stern expression.
...May I ask you something? Do you intend to oppose the incredible might of Klanvaline?
We've already beaten it once, another time couldn't hurt.
...Somehow, I knew that you would answer thus. It is the Star's will that we cannot fight...but we will stray from the Star's will for this case. I will aid you. I have discovered a certain legend pertaining to Klanvaline, in the documents that you recovered for us. The document reads, Upon ascendance to the Throne of Thunder shalt the Storm Emperor unleash his striking wrath." It would appear that time has come. If these texts are true, then its rampage will surely only worsen... However, if you are determined to stand against it, we may yet prove this legend false. Take this with you. It will open the path that you are bound for.

SYSTEM: Canaan hands you an old book. The binding of the tome appears to be gleaming gold, just like the hide of the dragon.
You will find the way to Klanvaline's nest here. Please, exercise due caution, Lumen.

Oh, this thing.
SYSTEM: However, aside from that, there doesn't seem to be anything else here. You stand, pondering your next move, when the golden book you received from Canaan floats gently from your grasp! The book begins glowing, bathing your surroundings in a golden light!

SYSTEM: You examine the tome again, but it simply appears to be a mundane book once more. If you wish to proceed, it seems you will have to lay hands upon the mysterious crest... Once you are ready to touch the crest, reach your hand out!

This thing is basically a shortcut.

We appear to be on the outer edges of the stratum.

Scissor Crab
HP: 1646, STR: 61, TEC: 42, VIT: 47, AGI: 37, LUC: 43
Skills:
  • Charge: Uses the head. Increases the damage of the next physical attack by 100%. Has an 80% speed modifier. Can be interrupted by Blast Grenades, which will cancel the Charge effect and stun the enemy.
  • Reaping Claws: Uses the arms. Deals 180% melee STR-based Cut damage to the entire party. Attempts to instantly kill hit targets, with a 20% base chance. Has a 10% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Bloody Blade. 50% chance. Sells for 1290 en. 1 needed to make Hrunting (+171 ATK, +15 HP). 5 needed to make Bloody Armor (+92 DEF, +30 HP). 10 needed to make Crab Pincer (+188 ATK, +4 TEC, +4 VIT).
    "Crab claws whose tips appear bloodstained. Despite the hardness, it's a crafting staple."
  • Conditional: Shaking Shell (Kill while afraid). 80% chance. Sells for 2720 en. 1 needed to make Crab Gardbrace (+83 DEF, +30% Fear resistance).
    "Shell that hardened from trembling in fear. The nature of this reaction is unclear."
Damage resistances:
50% 50% 50% 100% 100% 150%
Disable resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 100%
50% 50% 0%
0% 0% 0%

A crab so ferocious it will fight to the death, without giving a thought to its own safety.

Kill Scissor Crabs quickly, and they're no threat. Leave them alive, and be prepared to get a game over. The Night Flowers in this encounter don't help, but just one Inferno Formula one shots them, and leaves the Scissor Crab at critical HP.

Mmm, crab meat! Haven't had this in forever.

I'm on fire! ...Or, rather, YOU'RE on fire.

I said this way back at the start of the 2nd Stratum, but Ailing Slash is useful for deleting dangerous enemies--shame that War Magi are so slow.

Welcome back, floating platforms! The game amps up the difficulty of puzzles involving these here--still nothing mind-wracking, but you'll still have to think a little more compared to when we last saw them.

Well, these drakes evidently got lazy with their subspecies...

Lightning Drake
HP: 2919, STR: 59, TEC: 63, VIT: 48, AGI: 43, LUC: 45
Skills:
  • Thunderous Fury: Uses the head. Deals 3-5 instances of 100% melee TEC-based Volt damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Reduces hit targets' elemental attack by 50% for 4 turns. Has an 80% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Electric Crest. 70% chance. Sells for 2280 en. 1 needed to make Volt Bow (+163 ATK, normal attacks become Stab+Volt).
    "Bladelike crest from the Lightning Drake's back. Imbues weapons with voltaic energy."
  • Conditional: Coated Horn (Kill while poisoned). Sells for 5730 en. 1 needed to make Lightning Gage (Gunner ultimate non-body armor; +43 DEF, +3 AGI, +10% Volt resistance).
    "Horn with mysterious textlike patterns on it. They slowly blink, as if breathing."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 150% 100% 0%
Disable resistances:
100% 100% 50% 50% 50% 100% 50%
50% 50% 100%
100% 100% 100%

A dragon with a long, electrically charged horn that reacts when poisoned.

Lightning Drakes are one-trick ponies. Thunderous Fury is annoying if you have an Alchemist and just "an attack" otherwise.

It's...kinda like steak? Except not? It's got some tang to it, though!

Oof.

Permit me a second to pack some slices of the drake...

Can never have too many of these.

Here, you can kind of see how the outside skybox's mesh is built.

I remembered that these two had unspent level ups shortly after that last screenshot.

This puzzle is fairly simple--just push that platform we can see in the distance up, and then ride the one I'm standing on out.

I went back to town to rest and save.

Hrunting (+171 ATK, +15 HP) is unlocked by selling 1 Bloody Blade.

Crab Gardbrace (+83 DEF, +30% Fear resistance) is made from 1 Shaking Shell. It's a fairly decent piece of equipment, even if the Fear resistance part is kind of irrelevant.

Lightning Gage (Gunner ultimate non-body armor; +43 DEF, +3 AGI, +10% Volt resistance) is made from 1 Coated Horn. The volt resistance is completely irrelevant, but hey, more AGI.

This platform puzzle is decently complex. There's three platforms in play, one of which we're standing on.

Circle the platforms around until they're like this.

One circle later, one platform will end up in front of that island.

Ride a platform to the center, and you're home free.

We'll see what's in the top right soon enough.

One would think we'd see a giant, multi-eyed skeleton coming at us sooner...
It literally just came out of the holes in the floor!

Wandering Eye
HP: 14341, STR: 69, TEC: 55, VIT: 52, AGI: 44, LUC: 60
Skills:
  • Crazed Glare: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict panic on the party, with a 50% base chance. Increases the party's damage by 50% for 4 turns. Has no speed modifier.
  • Ripping Claws: Uses the arms. Deals 110% melee STR-based Cut damage to one target, with splash damage. Has a 70% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Devil Wing. 100% chance. Sells for 1870 en. 1 needed to make Dragonbone Shield (+67 DEF, +2 AGI).
    "Wing bone that's more elastic than pine wood. Despite its size, it's light and easy to carry."
  • Conditional: Blind Eye (Kill while blinded). 100% chance. Sells for 3970 en. 1 needed to make Cursed Mail (Hexer ultimate armor; +71 DEF, +20 TP, +4 LUC).
    "An evil eye that no longer sees. Its ominous power can be used for curses."
Damage resistances:
25% 25% 25% 125% 125% 125%
Disable resistances:
50% 50% 50% 0% 50% 50% 25%
10% 10% 10%
25% 50% 50%

This giant nemesis can disorient its enemies and drive them mad with a single glare!

Good luck killing this thing with standard physical damage.

Outside of that glib remark, I don't have a ton to say about Wandering Eyes. Crazed Glare is kind of like that one Pokémon skill that sharply increases your opponent's attack while also confusing them. Colette's really useful here since Barrier will stop Crazed Glare's panic while letting the buff go through..

Gaze away.

I warned you.

...Ewwwww, there's meat below the bone!
Bone marrow?
I don't think bone marrow is this chewy...

Pathetic. Low energy. Sad!

Alright, now to kill it within a few turns.

Easier done than said.

Repeat the above statement but maybe with a bit more emphasis.

Three turns for a postgame FOE. Yawn.

And we close out with equipment from the Wandering Eye's drops.

Cursed Mail (Hexer ultimate armor; +71 DEF, +20 TP, +4 LUC) is made from 1 Blind Eye. Sophie has 75 LUC with this thing on--she's becoming too powerful.

Dragonbone Shield (+67 DEF, +2 AGI). I don't know how anything the Wandering Eye was made of could be considered "dragonbone."

Next time: we reach the Storm Emperor.

Rea fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 25, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Asterius? Good to see that Labrys's Persona got a job as an FOE.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cass' portraits don't show in Dr. Fetus' update, they only appear as Pcass.

And Pokemon's Swagger was also the first thing I thought of when I saw that 50% boost on Crazed Glare.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

Watching you fight these FOEs long before the game expects you to makes me wonder what I was so afraid of on my first run. I think I still haven't even killed a Wandering Eye, though that's more of me forgetting they existed than not being able to.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, fixed those portrait issues.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh, we still need the class write-ups on Ronin, Hexer, Beast and Highlander.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So from a culinary perspective, did that dragon actually damage Lagaard in any way? I can think of arguments for and against that.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Glazius posted:

So from a culinary perspective, did that dragon actually damage Lagaard in any way? I can think of arguments for and against that.

Nope, the Storm Emperor's attack on the city doesn't change advertising in any way.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 60: Title Goes Here

...Could you come with me for a moment?
(What's with the attitude? She's obviously not staff, and there's no way that Makise Kurisu would be working with someone like Doctor Nakabachi. Which means...no!)
Y-you're with the Organization?!
...I think all this time fighting monsters is getting to my head. Whose voices are those?
Oh, good evening, Milly. We're just acting out scenes a part of Colette's book to pass the time.
I know orange is close to red, but did you really have to make me say her lines? Couldn't I have been someone who looks and sounds less mean?
Are there any other voices I should know about?
I'm not in this scene, but!
Okarin? Earth to Okarin!
...Let's just get going.

This is gonna be a short update, since there's no new enemies here, just obstacles.

There's certainly some dickish encounter formations, though.

Wandering Eyes have holes in the ground that they'll spawn out of, and holes in the ground that they'll despawn at. They take 3 steps in one directino for every step we take.

There's a treasure chest over there, but there's also the issue of the path to it being patrolled by a Wandering Eye.

Take a wild guess as to how I handled it.

Not interested.

Dear lord.

This long pathway might look intimidating, especially given that there's tons of holes where Wandering Eyes spawn out of.

Too bad they're absolutely no threat at all.

I dunno what happened, but that was the only wave of Wandering Eyes I ran into.

I told you this'd be short.

SYSTEM: A sea of cherry blossoms fills the air, and the wind blows a torrent of red that is nearly dizzying to behold. Surely this must be the Throne of Thunder!

Dragon?
Dragon.
SYTSTEM: The noise is unmistakable... You recognize the roar of the dragon that you have come to know so well.

SYSTEM: This dragon is the Storm Emperor that you have been pursuing! Whether an effect of its thunder, or merely an illusion, the air around your body crackles, numbing your skin... However, if you turn back now, then the dragon's rampage will continue unabated. If you are ready, then you must not hesitate. Begin the battle against this living force of nature!

This party probably could take on Storm Emperor, but I'd rather not just charge right in.

After forgetting about town dialogue for two updates, let's take care of that, shall we?

You really make me worry! You just keep climbing, and climbing... You'll bang your heads on the sun if you're not careful! Oh, I know. Why don't you all just climb the Labyrinth at night? The sun won't be up during the night, so you'll be perfectly fine! And it'll be less hot and stuffy, too!
I don't think that'll be necessary. The Labyrinth is maddening at times, but even that is a bit much for it.

Hanna's "advice" here was serious in the original EO2, incidentally. The 26F teleporters in that game changed where you went based on what time of day it was, and you could only go to the real parts of 27F by going to 26F at night.

Is that even a question? Scrambled!
...Oh, I like scrambled eggs too! They're really good. Mom puts milk in it when she makes it... She says if you do that, it makes the eggs all fluffy... Oh, um, don't let Mom know that I told you that. It's...um...supposed to be a secret. Okay...?

Now that I think about it... It's been a long time since you first came into this store.
Been about... I'd say a little over seven months.
Hee hee... You've really become regulars here. I don't know why, but the thought of that makes me happy... When unfamiliar people walk in the door, sometimes I get nervous, but when I see it's you, my worries just fade... Thank you for coming here so often. Please take your time and look around!

So, were you able to find any new ingredients? Stop by if you find something new. ...It really is a luxury to have you keep bringing new kinds of ingredients to this cafe... I'm counting on you, Lumen!

Do I even want to know what happened?
Because of yeh, there've been parties every single night here. Thanks to that, I'm hungover every drat day... Heard yeh're still going back into the Labyrinth. Kinda feels like we live in different worlds. By now, yeh lot are pretty much Labyrinth monsters yerselves...! Don't take that the wrong way, though! Haw haw haw! ...When they first found that Labyrinth, I never figured there'd be a day when somebody reaches the top. But yeh lot did it. When I first saw yeh, I thought yeh were hopeless, but now yeh're regulars of mine... I dunno if I'm happy or a little sad about that... Dammit! I've really taken a shine to yeh lot. Yeh were all scrawny, but yeh had that gleam in yer eyes... That's when I knew... Argh! This hangover! Makin' me say all kinds of crap! Just forget everything I said! But listen, Lumen... Even if yeh get all famous, more than yeh are now... Yeh better still come to my bar, yeh hear me!? Haw haw haw!

We've been finished with the floating castle for several weeks now.
...Then again, I'm sure the strongest guild in High Lagaard doesn't need reminding of that. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope you find fortune on your travels.

Yeah. There's another stratum above the floating castle...somehow.
What!? So there were yet more branches reaching above the castle...? One could assume that the branches grew beyond the castle because it was blocking any sunlight from hitting them.
I don't think we're really still on the tree in that place.
...Ah, but we can theorize as much as we like. This is still Yggdrasil we are talking about, after all... I'm sure it won't be easy. Listen carefully, Guild Lumen. We here at the Grand Duchy will not hesitate at anything for your sake. For you are a citizen of this country. Your battles are our battles as well. We will stand at your side. I would like you to keep that in mind. Be sure to come back safe.

Well, I could've planned that out better.

Next time: Storm Emperor.

Rea fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 27, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Pre-Update 61: Storm Emperor pre-fight overview

Storm Emperor
HP: 32000, STR: 77, TEC: 59, VIT: 58, AGI: 52, LUC: 53
Skills:
  • Volt Torrent: Uses the head. Deals 600% ranged TEC-based Volt damage to the party. Has a 50% speed modifier and 180 base accuracy.
  • Ancient Curse: Uses the head. Deals 100% melee STR-based Cut damage to one party member, with line-piercing effect. Heals the Storm Emperor for 200% of the damage dealt. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Judgement: Uses the legs. Deals 110% melee STR-based Bash damage to the party. Attempts to inflict paralysis on hit targets, with a 20% base chance. Has a 70% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Corrupting Howl: Uses the head. Purges all buffs from the party. Attempts to inflict curse and fear on each party member, with a 50% base chance. Has a 150% speed modifier.
  • Binding Dance: Uses the legs. Attempts to bind each party member's head, arms, and legs, with a 70% base chance. Has a 200% speed modifier.
Drops:
  • Normal: Emperor Barbel. 100% chance. Sells for 17000 en. 1 needed to make Volt Whip (+204 ATK, +5 AGI, normal attacks become Cut+Volt).
    "Majestic barbel at the thunder dragon's mouth. Some believe the barbel controls thunder."
  • Rare: Emperor Scale. 25% chance. Sells for 20000 en. 1 needed to make Emperor Orb (Immunity to Volt). 1 Dragon Scale, 1 Blizzard Scale, and 1 Emperor Scale needed to make Dragonbane (+210 ATK, +5 all stats).
    "The only reverse scale on the thunder dragon. It takes great fortune to acquire this."
  • Conditional: Thunderous Eye (Kill with Volt damage). 100% chance. Sells for 39000 en. 1 needed to make Ouroboros Robe (Alchemist ultimate armor; +72 DEF, +40 TP, +3 TEC).
    "Thunder dragon's eye, cloaked in lightning. Some say it holds the key to ultimate power."
  • Ingredient: Thunder Chirp. 15-19 given. 7 needed to make Court Haute Cuisine (Japanese Cuisine; 10% chance to restore broken Force gauges after battle).
    "Tender meat from the throat."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 150% 100% 0%
Disable resistances:
25% 50% 25% 25% 50% 0% 0%
0% 0% 10%
25% 25% 25%

A legendary yellow dragon who wields electricity masterfully.

Storm Emperor might've looked like a joke when I cheesed him during The golden shadow. Believe me, he is anything but. Why? Because of this thing.

Yellow Heart
HP: 3000, STR: 77, TEC: 59, VIT: 58, AGI: 52, LUC: 53
Skills:
  • Resonant Thunder: Cannot be disabled. Deals ranged TEC-based Volt damage to each party member at the end of the turn. Damage is based on the number of turns that have passed since the Yellow Heart was summoned: 60%, 90%, 135%, 200%, 300%, 450%, 675%, 1000%. The damage resets when the Yellow Heart dies. Does not check for accuracy.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 125% 100% 0%
Disable resistances:
0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 0%

The Yellow Heart--actually, all the dragon hearts--are the culmination of EO2U's terrible boss design. The Yellow Heart specifically isn't that bad, given that it only has 3000 HP, but it still needs to die as soon as it gets summoned, since the Resonant Thunder damage scales up quickly, transforming turns where you might've barely survived something into a game over.

As for the Storm Emperor himself, this is a rough list of his behavior patterns:

• Turns 1-3: Volt Torrent, Judgement, (usually) Attack
  • If Storm Emperor drops below 75% on those turns, or after turn 3 passes, he will summon the Yellow Heart
  • After summoning the Yellow Heart, will use Binding Dance or Corrupting Howl

And that's about all I can make out of the Google Translate spew.

So what characters are good for Storm Emperor, you might ask? The answer is primarily "elemental damage dealers," but equally important is some way to use Volt Wall. If you don't have an at least level 5 Volt Wall on you, Volt Torrent will just kill your entire party no questions asked, and head binds or debilitating ailments aren't reliable. If Phoebe isn't voted in, I'll get a Volt Wall Grimoire and stick it on someone.

Also, regarding the conditional: remember how I had to use Akashic Nova to get the Lava Beast's "kill with Fire" conditional? Same deal here. Some form of composite damage that involves Volt is the preferred method of getting stuff like that, and Akashic Nova, Burst Shot, and Link Order are all decent at getting it because they also get bonus damage from being counted as Fire.

With that in mind:

Forced

Ranger: I am taking Ranger along pretty much solely for Akashic Nova.

Damage dealers

Zack: Volt Chaser counts for the conditional, but it's dependent on stuff like Akashic Nova, Burst Shot, and Link Order proccing off either of them. Another option is to get Zack level 20 Fencer and Double Attack, and using either Volt Prelude or a Shock Oil on him--that'll deal 330% damage per Attack command.

Freyja: Freyja sadly can't just slaughter the Storm Emperor in a few turns, given that I'm not using Stigmata, but with Sophie, she's still a decent option. Without Sophie, she'll...well, she'll certainly have a time. That's for sure.

Stardust: Stardust is a reliable option for dealing tons of heavy elemental damage, and she could even try for the conditional using Volt Palm.

Asriel: Asriel deals some damage, but can't really do a ton for the conditional. That's all I have to say.

Jackie: Jackie's a pretty good source of elemental damage, and Charged Volt or Burst Shot are both ways for her to help get the conditional.

Tyler: Tyler can kinda help with the conditional, and deals decent damage outside of that.

Defense

Phoebe: Volt Wall is unconditionally a necessity for stopping Volt Torrent, and Front Guard takes quite a lot of the sting out of the Storm Emperor's physical skills.

Ursa: Ursa will need a Volt Wall Grimoire, but outside of that, she'll need some pretty heavy ailment-curing support if she hopes to tank Storm Emperor attacks.

Support

Nadia: Nadia is very fast, but can't really dodge-tank a lot of stuff, since most of Storm Emperor's skills are all-party. Storm Emperor also has 25% resistance to both blind and paralysis, meaning she'll be spending a lot of time trying to inflict them.

Realga: Realga is a backup plan for Binding Dance, since I can put a Head Guard on her, and just have her use Unbind on the same turn as Binding Dance. For ailments, though, it's just a matter of hoping she doesn't get tagged with debilitating ailments, maybe putting a Curb DEF Up Grimoire on her.

Milly: Given that Ranger is being forced, Milly is an inherently good choice, even though Corrupting Howl is designed to counter her.

Sophie: Creeping Curse lets Sophie bypass Storm Emperor's heavy disable resistances, and she also has a huge 22 LUC advantage on the Storm Emperor.

Colette: Colette is an amazingly good support, almost entirely because of Barrier. It won't do a ton against Binding Dance, but against Judgement and Corrupting Howl, it can just straight-up stop them.

Rheine: Link Order is one of my preferred ways of getting the conditional. Besides that, though, Prevent Order is less useful than you'd think, since Corrupting Howl purges buffs before attempting to inflict ailments.

Vote for a maximum of four party members, at least one from each category, and a maximum of two votes per character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

This boss.
THIS loving BOSS.

Colette, Rheine, Jackie, Phoebe.

I want this thing dead so badly. If I could vote for an all-offense party for another three-turn victory I would, but I know better than to fight this thing without the right setup.

Efe fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 26, 2016

• Locked thread