Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zophar posted:

As a side note, Jane Kleeb is a serious rock star and I would bet on her making waves at a national level before very long. There are already rumblings she is planning to run against Governor Ricketts (which, given his disastrous first year, could potentially happen sooner than expected).

Yeah Jane is a badass as far as the tiny progressive/environmentalist community in Nebraska goes. Her husband ran for Senate once, back when he looked like a goddamn cowboy out of a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

This kind of attention is better than the "do you dumb loving hicks think alligators just turn around at the park gate or some poo poo?" attention we were getting earlier.

The folks that lost their kid are basically the same exurb "laws don't apply to this level of whiteness" type of people every city has which is why they tried to rules-lawyer their way into playing in the water next to a no swimming sign because ~wading isn't actually swimming~ and Disney is in the wrong for not being forceful enough in telling people to stay the gently caress out of the water. Most folks up here are bewildered at how someone didn't just automatically expect alligators behind every blade of grass in a state that's mostly swamp. But that's suburbia for you.

I was really confused as I read this post because I thought your "here" meant Nebraska, given that you never said. So I was very surprised that the alligator eating story happened in loving Nebraska. But then I figured it out

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

sithwitch13 posted:

Looks like the Marta Nieves situation righted itself. The other candidate stepped down when he heard what happened and Marta asked him to be vice-chair.

http://twitter.com/RiotWomennn/status/745455178648719364

When he heard? So he didn't know? I mean, was he not physically present at the vote? There are allegations that he never attended their meetings so that would check out. But why would you even want to be vice chair of an organization you don't participate in? Huh. Maybe he wants it for resume padding.

Its great that she got re-instated but the more interesting story (well to me anyway - I didn't intend that one link to render inline I was just including citations but since it did it rather skewed the focus of the original post) is how a sufficiently large number of people rushed to vote for candidates they knew nothing about because they were told by some guy that those people liked Bernie. They didn't vote because Bernie endorsed these candidates. They voted based on the belief that the candidates endorsed Bernie. From the wookie kid's facebook post he and his friend followed a stranger who grabbed them and said, "Bernie supporter needs your vote!".

If they were responding to recommendations made by Bernie there would be a single mind with known goals behind it. As it is this is a tool any hand can wield. Grifter's paradise.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

McAlister posted:

Grifter's paradise.

Sounds like someone's never seen the wave of bank/credit salespeople who flood student unions across the country for the first few weeks of every semester.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

FAUXTON posted:

This kind of attention is better than the "do you dumb loving hicks think alligators just turn around at the park gate or some poo poo?" attention we were getting earlier.

The folks that lost their kid are basically the same exurb "laws don't apply to this level of whiteness" type of people every city has which is why they tried to rules-lawyer their way into playing in the water next to a no swimming sign because ~wading isn't actually swimming~ and Disney is in the wrong for not being forceful enough in telling people to stay the gently caress out of the water. Most folks up here are bewildered at how someone didn't just automatically expect alligators behind every blade of grass in a state that's mostly swamp. But that's suburbia for you.

Nebraska doesn't have alligators its to cold.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hollismason posted:

Nebraska doesn't have alligators its to cold.

quote:

in a state that's mostly swamp.

Is this a :thejoke: thing or is everyone just ignoring that part?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Is this a :thejoke: thing or is everyone just ignoring that part?

When people are talking about a location and you jump in talking about a completely different location but never actually say that, it can be hard to follow.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

blue squares posted:

When people are talking about a location and you jump in talking about a completely different location but never actually say that, it can be hard to follow.

I was talking about Nebraska, which is where the family who fed their kid to a gator (while visiting Disney) came from. This isn't a David Foster Wallace novel or anything.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well I mean it's true, they don't.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hollismason posted:

Well I mean it's true they don't.

We actually have some in the zoo, there's a big ol' nighttime swamp boardwalk exhibit under the desert habitat and that poo poo feels amazing after dealing with the dry-as-gently caress air up here. Smells like straight up swamp-rear end lizard cage though.

How the dipshit mayor of the city and her dipshit compatriot of a governor haven't managed to gently caress up the pretty nice zoo we've got is beyond me. Not for lack of trying though, the mayor's a god drat idiot who hires people who get boners thinking of ways to gently caress up, and the governor - well the governor thinks the best way to address the I-80 weed pipeline coming out of Colorado is to sue Colorado.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

FAUXTON posted:

We actually have some in the zoo, there's a big ol' nighttime swamp boardwalk exhibit under the desert habitat and that poo poo feels amazing after dealing with the dry-as-gently caress air up here. Smells like straight up swamp-rear end lizard cage though.

How the dipshit mayor of the city and her dipshit compatriot of a governor haven't managed to gently caress up the pretty nice zoo we've got is beyond me. Not for lack of trying though, the mayor's a god drat idiot who hires people who get boners thinking of ways to gently caress up, and the governor - well the governor thinks the best way to address the I-80 weed pipeline coming out of Colorado is to sue Colorado.

Oh well really its the parents fault for letting the kid wade in a pool full of alligators at a zoo. I mean they knew they were there.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hollismason posted:

Oh well really its the parents fault for letting the kid wade in a pool full of alligators at a zoo. I mean they knew they were there.

No, the zoo is where the drunk lady tried to pet a tiger and got bit. Disney is where they chummed for gators with their kid.

Colorado is where the weed is.
Iowa is where Steve King is.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

"the city" huh? have you learned nothing

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

FAUXTON posted:

No, the zoo is where the drunk lady tried to pet a tiger and got bit. Disney is where they chummed for gators with their kid.

Colorado is where the weed is.
Iowa is where Steve King is.

Theme park attractions have gotten to edgy for my taste.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

blue squares posted:

"the city" huh? have you learned nothing

Hey there's only one city in Nebraska.

Hollismason posted:

Theme park attractions have gotten to edgy for my taste.

Ever since they added the Syria section to the Small World ride things have never been the same.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I lived in western Nebraska for a year.

The word 'lived' should give insight to how I felt about that place.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DemeaninDemon posted:

I lived in western Nebraska for a year.

The word 'lived' should give insight to how I felt about that place.

:laffo: no wonder you hate the world and everything in it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Lincoln seems like a really cool town

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

blue squares posted:

Lincoln seems like a really cool town

:wrong:

Not even on Saturdays during football season. Place is like sprawl without a city to sustain it, and instead they have a university.

e: The only smart thing they did was put the med school 75 miles away. Unfortunately that places it like 5 minutes from me and hoo boy do they drive like goddamn assholes.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

I love that Trump's Evangelical Advisory Board basically consists of every homophobic group he could find, including Michelle Bachman, Liberty University, American Family Association, etc.

Maybe I am painting evangelicals with too broad a brush, but I was under the impression that evangelical Christianity is universally not cool with the whole LGBT thing.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Evangelical Christianity in America is about hating everything that isn't the traditional white patriarchy where sex cannot be enjoyed ever.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Grundulum posted:

Maybe I am painting evangelicals with too broad a brush, but I was under the impression that evangelical Christianity is universally not cool with the whole LGBT thing.

You wouldn't know it from the D&D echo chamber but the EVC position in the US is "evolving", just a lot slower than the culture in general. When I was little gays (men only, women couldn't be gay) were pedophiles and deviants. When I was a teenager they (men or women) were evil sinners making bad choices. When I started college they were sinners but no worse than any other and not inherently evil. Last time I heard the policy was they are born with those urges but they should remain celibate if possible because gay sex isn't cool with God, but you can still come to church and go to heaven, etc. Some denominations have chosen to accept reality (and let's face it: science) that the gays are just people and it's fine.

Yes there are still elements of Christianity that fall on the extreme part of the spectrum but there is a definite drift toward acceptance. The change is being driven in a grass-roots fashion where most of the congregation just laughs and says lol nope, so the last place to look for proof is from the preacher or official "doctrine" online... But if you ask actual members of the congregation in private many will admit they don't care and think gay people are cool.

Actually that applies to vast chunks of Christianity in the modern US. It's a customer-service oriented industry.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Evangelical Christianity in America is about hating everything that isn't the traditional white patriarchy where sex cannot be enjoyed ever.

That's incorrect, a gross over-simplification, and demonstrates a lack of understanding for the modern dynamics of Evangelical Christianity in the US. I'd encourage you to do some research if interested because it's still a loud and vocal voting bloc that has an effect on US policy. What I said above about the preacher being the last to know on a topic is also useful to understand when lobbying efforts don't seem to match actual beliefs.

Simulated fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jun 22, 2016

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
There's going to be a broad spectrum for sure but don't discount the seething hatred some groups have of homosexuality. I'm sure it's changing slowly in areas but other areas refuse. There was a county in Alabama that refused to lower flags for Orlando. Michelle Bachmanns former district had a Rolling Stones article about a gay-bashing suicide epidemic. poo poo, the suicide rate among non-hetero is significantly higher because of poo poo that like. Homosexual kids across the country are literally tossed out of the home/family for coming out. Don't you dare try to downplay that kind of hatred.

Sure you can have people tell you in private they're ok with them gays but until I see them stand up for what's right I'm calling bullshit. Deny me in front of your peers etc. I'm sure people are standing up for what's right but the battle is far from over.

Yeah I know the solution doesn't involve being a dick and instead using conversation. Guess what? This is uspol and I sure as hell will express my opinions about evangelicals behind their back here until they are convinced to stop being such shits.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 22, 2016

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

FAUXTON posted:

Sounds like someone's never seen the wave of bank/credit salespeople who flood student unions across the country for the first few weeks of every semester.

Closest I've gotten to that is going over a debit card statement with a military wife trying to figure out why her card got declined trying to buy diapers. The charges painted a mosaic of temptation aimed at soldiers.

FAUXTON posted:

well the governor thinks the best way to address the I-80 weed pipeline coming out of Colorado is to sue Colorado.

You're suing us too? God how many states is that now ...

Also ... Tell me something substantive about Kleeb to counteract my first impression of her people skills.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/toddstarnes/status/745291026462498816?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does anyone have a good article on just how pathetic the Senate's slapfight over those four gun control bills was? The ones I read were long on mocking and sad head-shaking but short on details.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Dexo posted:

I like the symbolism and I think it comes from a good place but please don't cast aspersions as to what you think someone whos dead would think of something.

It's the same reason I get loving pissed whenever a white person says something to the effect of If Martin Luther King were alive today he would *insert racist dog whistle bullshit here*

Deteriorata is old enough to have asked Harriet Tubman her opinion on this matter

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ender.uNF posted:

You wouldn't know it from the D&D echo chamber but the EVC position in the US is "evolving", just a lot slower than the culture in general. When I was little gays (men only, women couldn't be gay) were pedophiles and deviants. When I was a teenager they (men or women) were evil sinners making bad choices. When I started college they were sinners but no worse than any other and not inherently evil. Last time I heard the policy was they are born with those urges but they should remain celibate if possible because gay sex isn't cool with God, but you can still come to church and go to heaven, etc. Some denominations have chosen to accept reality (and let's face it: science) that the gays are just people and it's fine.

Yes there are still elements of Christianity that fall on the extreme part of the spectrum but there is a definite drift toward acceptance. The change is being driven in a grass-roots fashion where most of the congregation just laughs and says lol nope, so the last place to look for proof is from the preacher or official "doctrine" online... But if you ask actual members of the congregation in private many will admit they don't care and think gay people are cool.

Actually that applies to vast chunks of Christianity in the modern US. It's a customer-service oriented industry.

That's incorrect, a gross over-simplification, and demonstrates a lack of understanding for the modern dynamics of Evangelical Christianity in the US. I'd encourage you to do some research if interested because it's still a loud and vocal voting bloc that has an effect on US policy. What I said above about the preacher being the last to know on a topic is also useful to understand when lobbying efforts don't seem to match actual beliefs.

Yyyyyeaaaaahhhhhhh. No.

Except they are still the most vocal on anti-immigration, anti-LGBT issues, anti-sex ed, and anti-women's health.

And its really creepy that you post this and your username is a character created by a guy that is one of those hateful bastards.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

McAlister posted:

Closest I've gotten to that is going over a debit card statement with a military wife trying to figure out why her card got declined trying to buy diapers. The charges painted a mosaic of temptation aimed at soldiers.

You're suing us too? God how many states is that now ...

Also ... Tell me something substantive about Kleeb to counteract my first impression of her people skills.

She's spearheaded a ton of the resistance to the KXL pipeline, largely through getting a bunch of farmers onboard.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Hmmm, I think this might be a deceptive chart

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does anyone have a good article on just how pathetic the Senate's slapfight over those four gun control bills was? The ones I read were long on mocking and sad head-shaking but short on details.

I know I saw a video of Lindsey Graham trying to shame everyone for not being able to pass a bipartisan gun bill, but I'm guessing he voted no on all 4 amendments.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Sir Tonk posted:

Hmmm, I think this might be a deceptive chart

If you're just trying to show that way fewer people vote in primaries than general elections it's fine I guess?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paul Ryan put out his alternative to Obamacare.

It's a bunch of revolutionary ideas!

Just kidding it's buy-insurance-across-state-lines and tort reform, like always.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zoux posted:

Paul Ryan put out his alternative to Obamacare.

It's a bunch of revolutionary ideas!

Just kidding it's buy-insurance-across-state-lines and tort reform, like always.

:laffo: that consumer-directed poo poo is always always a ripoff. Oh here's a HSA/FSA card you pay into and also a lovely coverage plan you pay a little less for but get little more than catastrophic coverage under. It's the goddamn payday lending scam of health coverage.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I know Ryan's across state lines measure is so insurance companies can move to Delaware or whatever, but why don't we nationalize insurance standards and requirements instead of letting it be different on a state by state basis? Is anyone advocating for that?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

but but states rights!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

No Butt Stuff posted:

but but states rights!

This was settled in the 1860's but people really like the idea of treason.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

Yyyyyeaaaaahhhhhhh. No.

Except they are still the most vocal on anti-immigration, anti-LGBT issues, anti-sex ed, and anti-women's health.

And its really creepy that you post this and your username is a character created by a guy that is one of those hateful bastards.

Jimmy Carter is an evangelical.

Orson Scott Card, being a Mormon, is decidedly not.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

greatn posted:

I know Ryan's across state lines measure is so insurance companies can move to Delaware or whatever, but why don't we nationalize insurance standards and requirements instead of letting it be different on a state by state basis? Is anyone advocating for that?

Because given how much the current Republican Congress sucks the only standards they would approve would be as anti-consumer as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aren't Mormons the most evangelical sect of them all

• Locked thread