Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

they are overpriced decadent trash for a consumerist society with no lasting ideas or values

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

you can always get one of their microcells if you live in shitsburg

microcells are bad

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Why?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

probably some dumb poo poo about how everything should be wifi calling even though lots of handsets don't support it yet

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

everything should be wifi calling because the microcell goes
over your home internet connection anyway

also they started becoming popular on the cusp of people using their phones mostly for data vs mostly for voice so it was too little too late

managing many microcells gets very complex on the RF side if you have many in proximity

they make sense in like a brick basement of a business or something but in homes they're dumb

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

they both go over the same connection but one actually works with any device in proximity and the other does not but yeah lets pick the one that works less, good thinking

the signal doesn't propagate far enough to be an issue on 1/4 acre lots, its fine for home use. don't be stupid.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
holy poo poo the clock app is animated?

thats sick

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

they both go over the same connection but one actually works with any device in proximity and the other does not but yeah lets pick the one that works less, good thinking

the signal doesn't propagate far enough to be an issue on 1/4 acre lots, its fine for home use. don't be stupid.

lol

microcells for home use are essentially dead, im not sharing a personal opinion

there's no justifiable use case for small cells in the vast majority of homes that wifi calling doesn't address

small cells are for indoor business/outdoor use these days

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

probably some dumb poo poo about how everything should be wifi calling even though lots of handsets don't support it yet

sorry about your poverty-spec chinese android, i guess. every phone that matters (and plenty that don't) supports it. t-mobile claimed that with the ios 8 update, 90% of phones on their network supported it.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Toady posted:

forming a relationship with the second person in line to the presidency, who sets the legislative agenda, shocking

i'm laughing out loud at the mental gymnastics the Apple Boys must perform in order to continue supporting their favorite telephone manufacturer.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

sorry about your poverty-spec chinese android, i guess. every phone that matters (and plenty that don't) supports it. t-mobile claimed that with the ios 8 update, 90% of phones on their network supported it.

tmobile usa has supported wifi calling for like a decade

my old rear end work blackberry supported it, was great for taking calls in a basement

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

although the poo poo 10 years wasn't exactly the same

wifi calling now is just straight untrusted 3GPP access i.e. building a tunnel between the carrier's core LTE network and your device over whatever internet connection

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

tmobile works great anyplace you'd want to go in my lovely fly-over state even the tiny town with my cabin has a tower now thanks anime lady bike phone person

hmm if you live in a good place then you get real good service but if for some reason you decide to live in a poo poo place it- won't be good. drat. good to know, thanks

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mishaq posted:

my old rear end work blackberry supported it, was great for taking calls in a basement
yeah, but it's become much more ubiquitous in the past few years to the point that phones that DON'T support it are well in the minority and not worth catering to.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

GameCube posted:

i'm laughing out loud at the mental gymnastics the Apple Boys must perform in order to continue supporting their favorite telephone manufacturer.

you're not good at this

yellow borders
Jan 7, 2010

quick reminder that by using an apple product you are literally supporting the anti-lgbtq agenda

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

yellow borders posted:

quick reminder that by using an apple product you are literally supporting the anti-lgbtq agenda

I already canceled my icloud subscription. not on purpose actually, iOS kept crashing when I tried to resubscribe, because it's poo poo now.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

yellow borders posted:

gay rights! gay rights! here let me cut a check to an anti-gay dude because he might be president in 2024 or something

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

yellow borders posted:

quotin' bizzaro stymie

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

mishaq posted:

quotin' bizzaro stymie

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i used to think apple was good, but now i'm woke.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

GameCube posted:

i used to think apple was good, but now i'm woke.

there is only one truth in technology

everything is a piece of poo poo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mishaq posted:

tell us more about calling from your bedroom

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

tell us more about calling from your bedroom

lol if you don't live with your mother

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

moms are nice and dads are too hug em if you got em and theyre good people :shobon:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

both my mom and dad are dead.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Agile Vector posted:

moms are nice and dads are too hug em if you got em and theyre good people :shobon:

hehe pet the dadde.. lol. (:

(my dad abandoned me, my sis and my mom )

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Last Chance posted:

hehe pet the dadde.. lol. (:

(my dad abandoned me, my sis and my mom )

well dont hug that one, people that abandon spouses/families are poo poo

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol. facebook's new scheme to get people to open their app: show a badge on the app icon, but don't actually show a notification, so you have to open the app to find out that it was just "your 'friend' posted a status update." why would apple let developers update the badge directly, you ask? well, it's because apple is poo poo now. thanks apple for making me janitor my notification settings to disable the fake badge.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
The iPhone Runs OSX And It is Dog poo poo Garbage

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

GameCube posted:

lol. facebook's new scheme to get people to open their app: show a badge on the app icon, but don't actually show a notification, so you have to open the app to find out that it was just "your 'friend' posted a status update." why would apple let developers update the badge directly, you ask? well, it's because apple is poo poo now. thanks apple for making me janitor my notification settings to disable the fake badge.

http://www.theonion.com/article/new-facebook-notifications-alert-users-when-they-n-37795 except real.

on android it shows a notification "you have x new notifications and y new messages" or something

and then it's just "someone invited you to yet another event that happens several hours away" or "a guy you don't even know posted something into a group you follow"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
and once when i opened fb messenger it showed a full screen notification "Some Friend is not using messenger, please ask them to use it [OK]" i.e. "please spam for us"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i deleted the facebook app a while ago and it's made my mobile experience a lot better not getting notifications constantly

still have the messenger app and if i need facebook on the go to upload a ~*selfie*~ i just use the mobile site

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

real dad talk: dad likes cheese

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I'm a huge fan of the "please enable notifications" and also the splitting up all of their apps into separate things so now i have a homescreen full of facebook garbage

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
mr I wear I spike bracelet to prove I am not a suit to everyone is mad about removal of the headphone jack so praise Tim Cook for trolling him

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
he is really mad isn't he

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

idk what all these issues people have with the fb app. if you take 2 minutes to define what notifications you want it to give you, it respects those. all i ever get are messenger notifications and a badge if someone responds to a status or whatever. nothing from the fb app ever goes on the lock screen or notification center.

i mean, at least it's not like android where messenger puts chat heads on your home screen since there's no way to disable specific permissions on 95% of phones.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

idk what all these issues people have with the fb app. if you take 2 minutes to define what notifications you want it to give you, it respects those. all i ever get are messenger notifications and a badge if someone responds to a status or whatever. nothing from the fb app ever goes on the lock screen or notification center.

i mean, at least it's not like android where messenger puts chat heads on your home screen since there's no way to disable specific permissions on 95% of phones.

yeah but in the last week or so they've been putting a badge icon even when there's no real notification despite your settings. it almost feels like a glitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Endless Mike posted:

you're talking to people who recommend using the mobile site in the browser instead of having the app installed, your audience is hosed

• Locked thread