Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Painkiller is adding doomgal to the next major project brutality update.

:allbuttons:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Negrostrike posted:

Ok ok try to imagine two NESes playing at the same time 4 channels each of this song.

I'd be more impressed if this was done with Atari 2600 bleeps and bloops :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Klaus88 posted:

I don't know what this means, why does it warrant the allbuttons

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

I'd be more impressed if this was done with Atari 2600 bleeps and bloops :colbert:
Well, we've already got floppy drives, I suppose we could go deeper

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Klaus88 posted:

Isn't her name Crash?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
https://twitter.com/viperwave/status/745268659275214848

Klaus88 posted:

CJacobs posted:

Maybe this is why?

(This was just something I found from doing a Google Search for 'doomgal'; it could be something completely different)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Since it's Quake's 20th birthday (in my part of the world, anyway) I decided to install the Steam copy I bought a few sales ago and play the game for the first time in 18 years. Somehow I feel very, very old. :corsair: Back then, my family didn't have a computer so most of my experience with Quake comes from Quake 64, which is definitely not the optimal way to play this thing and I was terrible at it anyway. Never made it past E1M3 without cheats when I was a kid, because those drat zombies creeped me out way too much and they were swarming everywhere and oh god :gonk:

Turns out there's like five zombies down in that corridor and they're super easy to kill without taking any damage. Well, I guess that's one childhood trauma overcome. This game is much more enjoyable with good controls and smooth framerate (and the Reznor soundtrack, which obviously wasn't in the N64 port or the pirated copies some of my friends had... or in the Steam version for that matter, but at least it was easy to put back in), I'll say that much. I'll continue with the rest of episode 1 after I get some sleep, and once that's done I think I'll try and finish the whole campaign.

I briefly considered doing a stream, but figured that me trying to slowly fumble my way through mid-90s FPS level design wouldn't be very entertaining. :v:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 22, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Max Wilco posted:

Maybe this is why?

(This was just something I found from doing a Google Search for 'doomgal'; it could be something completely different)

Looks like a reskin of the Quake 2 female marine and so probably isn't what they're talking about. It's still pretty yikes but the reality may be better or worse than that.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

What, did they decide to make their own engine? I thought it would run on plain old Bernie Zandersnum.
Last I checked, it was for Gzdoom so it running on Zammalamma sounds likely, but neither is indicative of what can be done on IDtech1 is my point. It's a testament to the source ports, which use a bunch of code from quake.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

CJacobs posted:

Female player character? In myyyyyyyy favorite game? This is an outrage even if it's optional!
______________________________________________________________________________________________
:goonsay:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Negrostrike posted:

Female player character? In myyyyyyyy favorite game? This is an outrage even if it's optional!
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Are people actually saying that or are you making things up?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I asked this in the 'help us remember a game' thread and it was suggested I try here:

This is maybe too obscure; it's a Doom 2 wad. I think it had one, maybe two levels, but what I remember is that the first level was HUGE. It took place on this gigantic spaceship, and at one point, you see that the spaceship has crashed into or come in contact with some kind of gaping maw of hell. I loved that wad but have had no luck finding it. I'm pretty sure it would have dated from the 90s, I don't think I played much Doom since then. It's not much to go on, but certainly the huge size of it and the setting might help...?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Mordja posted:

Are people actually saying that or are you making things up?

Give the Internet long enough and someone will say it completely in earnest.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Negrostrike posted:

I don't know what he meant but I really don't think it's that

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Last I checked, it was for Gzdoom so it running on Zammalamma sounds likely, but neither is indicative of what can be done on IDtech1 is my point. It's a testament to the source ports, which use a bunch of code from quake.
Maybe the model code uses parts from Quake 3, but the level structure definitely doesn't. If a GZDoom map looks like something out of Quake it's because a mapper did an enormous amount of work with 3D floors/slopes. The end result might be visually similar but the process to get there is vastly different.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Golbez posted:

I asked this in the 'help us remember a game' thread and it was suggested I try here:

This is maybe too obscure; it's a Doom 2 wad. I think it had one, maybe two levels, but what I remember is that the first level was HUGE. It took place on this gigantic spaceship, and at one point, you see that the spaceship has crashed into or come in contact with some kind of gaping maw of hell. I loved that wad but have had no luck finding it. I'm pretty sure it would have dated from the 90s, I don't think I played much Doom since then. It's not much to go on, but certainly the huge size of it and the setting might help...?
If these guys can't help you, try here.

HUGE + space makes me think of the Vrack series, but I don't think they had any wormholes or anything. There's videos of all three Vrack levels on YouTube (you should play all them anyway because they're pretty rad).

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

david_a posted:

Maybe the model code uses parts from Quake 3, but the level structure definitely doesn't. If a GZDoom map looks like something out of Quake it's because a mapper did an enormous amount of work with 3D floors/slopes. The end result might be visually similar but the process to get there is vastly different.
Also things you can't do with IDtech1. I don't think you get my point. Of course making detailed doom maps takes talent, but many amazing, cool, and talented maps will not run on vanilla doom, because as released, the engine cannot render them. Literally hundreds of people worked to remove the limitations of the doom engine to make things like slopes possible. When someone says "look at what you can do in doom" it usually implies that it is impressive what you can do within the limitations of the doom engine, when the limitations of the doom engine have been shattered by what modern source ports can do.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 22, 2016

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I'm so sorry Doomguy. You deserve better.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arivia posted:

I'm so sorry Doomguy. You deserve better.

Casper Van Dien, is that you?

No joke I'd be pretty okay with him playing Doomguy in a Doom movie, he's an under appreciated class act.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Also things you can't do with IDtech1. I don't think you get my point. Of course making detailed doom maps takes talent, but many amazing, cool, and talented maps will not run on vanilla doom, because as released, the engine cannot render them. Literally hundreds of people worked to remove the limitations of the doom engine to make things like slopes possible.

I'm fairly sure the ways GZDoom does those things are unique, though, not taken from the Quake source code.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nope. Quake code is under the GPL, making it legally impossible to use in the ZDoom codebase. There are a lot of features that were inspired by Quake, but coded independently; sometimes even before Quake's source code was released. (E.g., ZDoom's Quake-inspired console was there since March 1998; Quake code was released in December 1999.)

The one exception is that one small part of the zip support code (the function to find the central zip directory) is taken from a non-GPL part of the Quake III Arena code.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Aa2K_firtI

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I'm getting this error when I try and run the Seinfeld wad with GZDoom. Anyone got any ideas?

Script error, "gSeinfeld.wad:DECORATE" line 17:
SpawnID must be in the range [0,255]

I'd love it if it had custom error messages, at least on top of the REAL messages.

"Error: Too thirsty; pretzels line 28"
"What's the deeeeeaaaaaaaal with that script?"

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Also things you can't do with IDtech1. I don't think you get my point. Of course making detailed doom maps takes talent, but many amazing, cool, and talented maps will not run on vanilla doom, because as released, the engine cannot render them. Literally hundreds of people worked to remove the limitations of the doom engine to make things like slopes possible. When someone says "look at what you can do in doom" it usually implies that it is impressive what you can do within the limitations of the doom engine, when the limitations of the doom engine have been shattered by what modern source ports can do.
That part is true and might be lost on people who don't know anything about source ports, but creating a GZDoom level in 2016 is still closer to creating a Doom map in 1994 than it is to creating a Quake map. Even with the additions to the engines Doom modding is its own special snowflake.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Anyone got a recommendation for a map that really pushes Doom's limits? I don't care if it's particularly fun to play, I just want to see the engine doing neat things.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for a map that really pushes Doom's limits? I don't care if it's particularly fun to play, I just want to see the engine doing neat things.

NUTS

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kind of disappointed it doesn't start with a title card that says "The WAD"

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Knee Deep in ZDoom's gimmick upon release was "remake episode 1 using every ZDoom feature we possibly can" so that's probably what you're looking for.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The Brutal Doom campaign has some interesting level ideas/gimmicks during the middle city chapter even if half the time they don't work too well.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I haven't played them yet but according to the Doom wiki, the Zdoom community projects look like they would do nicely.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Phocas Island 2, Planisphere 2, The Great Urban Battle, The Island.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Mak0rz posted:

Knee Deep in ZDoom's gimmick upon release was switch hunts

agreed

also gzdoom maps by ed cripps have a high emphasis on 3d

Szymanski fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 22, 2016

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

david_a posted:

If these guys can't help you, try here.

HUGE + space makes me think of the Vrack series, but I don't think they had any wormholes or anything. There's videos of all three Vrack levels on YouTube (you should play all them anyway because they're pretty rad).

They helped; it was INVADE1, and for Doom, not 2. Wheee! :dance:

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Happy Quake Day!

The Kins posted:

Doom is all well and good, but this week is the Quake's 20th birthday! I bet you feel old now.

So! What's happening to celebrate? I haven't seen a lot yet, but I might as well post what I've seen:

• PC Gamer has thrown up some Quakeworld servers for the week, with a promise of a retrospective article among other things later this week.
  • The cool Tumblr QuakeMaps, which usually posts a screenshot of one custom Quake map every day, has changed tack to posting screenshots of the original Id1 maps.
  • Sock is promising/threatening a new version of Arcane Dimensions soon. What better time?
  • I'll probably release a new version of Samsara in a day or so, because, uhhh... Ranger, I guess?

And hey if anyone happens to be working on any Quake (1/2/3) project, you could create a "booth" at Quake Expo 2016. You can already see a few previews of booths that are starting to be created. The expo will officially open on July 16.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

If you want to have a gander at Quake without installing anything, WebQuake is pretty great. (Although not having Quake installed should be a sin for this thread.)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

DUMP 3 turned out to somehow be even larger than DUMP 2 did, upping the former's 64 maps to 80. And that's not to speak of the 40 weapons on top of it. Criminy.

...anyway, in a bit of self-aggrandizement, this was my submission. Fitting for today, as it's Quake-themed! You'd probably guessed based on the screenshots I posted earlier!

Johnny Law posted:

Happy Quake Day!

And hey if anyone happens to be working on any Quake (1/2/3) project, you could create a "booth" at Quake Expo 2016. You can already see a few previews of booths that are starting to be created. The expo will officially open on July 16.
So... grenade launcher target practice, then.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Jehde posted:

If you want to have a gander at Quake without installing anything, WebQuake is pretty great. (Although not having Quake installed should be a sin for this thread.)

Wow this is amazing. Do other games have this?

edit: Well poo poo, I wasn't planning on playing Quake today but...

Any way to get mouselook on this bad boy?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 22, 2016

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Nope. Quake code is under the GPL, making it legally impossible to use in the ZDoom codebase. There are a lot of features that were inspired by Quake, but coded independently; sometimes even before Quake's source code was released. (E.g., ZDoom's Quake-inspired console was there since March 1998; Quake code was released in December 1999.)

The one exception is that one small part of the zip support code (the function to find the central zip directory) is taken from a non-GPL part of the Quake III Arena code.
Doesn't GZDoom use code from Vavoom for 3d rendering and thus code from Quake? I may be wrong, but that's where I got the impression. As for impressive doom mapping: void.wad has been a go to for impressive effects, and I think Turbo Arcade pushes the game in weird and amazing directions.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 22, 2016

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Iirc vavoom was based on Build3D. Or maybe was it EDGE?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Any way to get mouselook on this bad boy?

It flashes by in the console, but mouse tracking support is not universal. Maybe try a different browser?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Doesn't GZDoom use code from Vavoom for 3d rendering and thus code from Quake? I may be wrong, but that's where I got the impression. As for impressive doom mapping: void.wad has been a go to for impressive effects, and I think Turbo Arcade pushes the game in weird and amazing directions.

Nope, but Vavoom does use code from ZDoom.

laserghost posted:

Iirc vavoom was based on Build3D. Or maybe was it EDGE?

Vavoom's renderer is based on Quake.

The only source ports with some bits of Build code in them are ZDoom and its derivatives (except Odamex). The Build license is incompatible with the GPL, and all non-ZDoom ports are GPL.