Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
This may be old news, but last night I found out Roadhog's Ult can destroy Junkrat's Ult, in addition to his chain being able to snatch it away as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This may be old news, but last night I found out Roadhog's Ult can destroy Junkrat's Ult, in addition to his chain being able to snatch it away as well.

Anything can destroy Junkrat's ult.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Anything that does damage can destroy Junkrat's ult.

On an unrelated note, Zarya's beam is goofy as gently caress (images pulled from reddit):

http://imgur.com/a/Z2J2W
http://imgur.com/a/TOuzY

What the gently caress :psyduck:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I found out yesterday that Genji reflect can bounce Zarya ult before the projectile lands, and gives you a Zarya ult.

This... this was surprising. :monocle:

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Shockeh posted:

I found out yesterday that Genji reflect can bounce Zarya ult before the projectile lands, and gives you a Zarya ult.

Works with Mei's, too.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh.

Well, I did it and it was new to me. And I am okay with that. Thanks!

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Yup, right right-click can also kill it, just like Reinhardt's E, if the junkrat doesn't bounce it around and juke abilities as it gets closer.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

:swoon:

Now I just have to wait for this and Battlerite to come out and it'll be like 2009 all over again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

junkrat's ult can be destroyed by anything that deals damage

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

junkrat's ult can be destroyed by anything that deals damage

Even Symmetra turrets?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you're asking whether the turrets can lock on to the riptire, I don't know

don't see why they couldn't tho

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Shockeh posted:

If you manage to reflect the actual arrow before they become dragons, you can reflect Hanzo's ult as well.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah Symettra turrets will kill a tire if it's low enough or if you've setup a car wash.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I recorded me being not terrible on D.Va.

Enjoy watching me murder Roadhog multiple times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Ws8fIddhc

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

Is this a troll post? This has to be a troll post. It's like a 7 layer dip where each layer is a different adaptation of the first 15 minutes of The Miracle Worker but they're all featuring Helen as a bad Overwatch player.

...No? Sorry for the delay, I spat out that post right before bed. But no, no trolling, maybe just too many words. I really do think the UI is poo poo and the sound design is bad. Sorry if I insulted your favorite game I guess? I'm still playing it and having fun, but those things have a lot of room for improvement.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

whatspeakyou posted:

On an unrelated note, Zarya's beam is goofy as gently caress (images pulled from reddit):

I for one am shocked to learn that Zarya's underwhelming beam gun that has serious issues connecting for damage with the current tick rate doesn't even shoot where you're aiming.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

What's this about a 'weapon' tab of the hero gallery? A new batch of skins incoming?

It actually lets you preview weapons and deployables for any skin now, not just the golden ones. So you can see how skins will change your weapon, or turrets or riptire or whatever.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Well the original Dev team crashed and burned after two flops with Blade-Symphony and Galacide, and Dystopia catered to a skill level way above Cod.

I doubt the sequel will live for very long given that it probably won't follow the modern conventions that Overwatch has taken.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

They can't kill teleporters, so I wondered if there were any other weird exceptions.

IronDoge posted:

Yeah Symettra turrets will kill a tire if it's low enough or if you've setup a car wash.

Thank you!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Real talk: is there any map/mode where Zarya isn't useful? Because I loving love playing her, and if nobody else has picked her and support is covered, that's who I'm going for. It makes me smile how she can singlehandedly hold back a whole team for a while, and how people flee in terror from her when she's fully charged up. Also for solo queuing how you can simultaneously help the braindead idiots you're grouped with and use them to power yourself up. The only thing I could wish for her with her is a little bit better feedback on when you're making contact with the left-click beam.

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice

Imagined posted:

Real talk: is there any map/mode where Zarya isn't useful? Because I loving love playing her, and if nobody else has picked her and support is covered, that's who I'm going for. It makes me smile how she can singlehandedly hold back a whole team for a while, and how people flee in terror from her when she's fully charged up. Also for solo queuing how you can simultaneously help the braindead idiots you're grouped with and use them to power yourself up. The only thing I could wish for her with her is a little bit better feedback on when you're making contact with the left-click beam.

Zarya is never a bad pick. Its a support that has Tank HP. The ability to give 2 seconds of immunity is unsurpassed, and the fact that the bubbles mean you can save yourself and 1 other from an ultimate makes her a great clutch pick.

I agree, better feedback when you get Zarya bubbled would be amazing. Right now, i assume people dont know they've been bubbled, and get confused as to why the Junkrat tyre didnt kill them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

zarya's one of the hardest heroes to kill, keeps her teammates alive with temp shields, can do a ridiculous amount of damage once her gun is amped, has area denial with her alt fire, and to top it all off graviton surge is one of the best ults and combos with a bunch of other ults really well

I've never seen a zarya and thought "I wish they'd change to something else"

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

StoicFnord posted:

Zarya is never a bad pick. Its a support that has Tank HP. The ability to give 2 seconds of immunity is unsurpassed, and the fact that the bubbles mean you can save yourself and 1 other from an ultimate makes her a great clutch pick.

I agree, better feedback when you get Zarya bubbled would be amazing. Right now, i assume people dont know they've been bubbled, and get confused as to why the Junkrat tyre didnt kill them.

Well yeah that would be nice too, as it seems like people think something BAD hit them, because their immediate response is usually to start backpedaling as soon as I shield them. But I was talking about whether you're actually hitting anything with her laser.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

...No? Sorry for the delay, I spat out that post right before bed. But no, no trolling, maybe just too many words. I really do think the UI is poo poo and the sound design is bad. Sorry if I insulted your favorite game I guess? I'm still playing it and having fun, but those things have a lot of room for improvement.

The map design is also far too heavily reliant on chokepoints to dictate combat, which is another big problem.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Imagined posted:

Played on Hollywood Offense this morning, starting out as Soldier:76 because we didn't have any non-flanking offense characters. We had a tough time breaking through the torb turret on the elevator, the Bastion watching the point, and the enemy S:76. Soldier just didn't have enough HP to sustain an offense and my two Tac Visors didn't do much. So I switched to Zarya and we powered onto the point as it hit Overtime. I got the Power Overwhelming achievement because the enemy kept streaming on to try and prevent us from capping. Of course our Mercy was phenomenal, getting 2-3 solid rez's of 2-3 people. 21 of 28 eliminations were High Energy eliminations. I even burned down a couple Molten Core Torbs with her.

It's always a blast when you can push the enemy into full retreat with Zarya. I probably mentioned the time on King's Row Defense where we pushed the enemy from the mid-streets back to their spawn and held them there for a good 30 seconds or so before they went to a full anti-Zarya composition to try and break out.

Don't feel the need to limit yourself to only picking her "if someone hasn't already picked her". Double Zarya can be more dangerous. I faced against that team once on Hollywood Defense and we only barely beat it at the final point because I and someone else went Bastion.

On the other hand though, on Dorado Defense, the enemy went Pharah + Widow, and even though I started as Zarya, I couldn't accomplish enough with her, so I swapped to Widow, leaving us without any tank at all. We held on for the defense of the second checkpoint to win, so Zarya isn't always the right answer. She needs a teammate and she needs protection from long range. Her ult is also largely negated by Reinhardt's shield so he needs to die first to get the most out of it.

There's not really any need for a better bubble indicator, it doesn't last long enough for you to change whatever your plan was when bubbled. It just is to give a couple seconds survivability extra to someone taking fire.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 22, 2016

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

BobTheJanitor posted:

Is it just me or are the indicators for 'you're taking damage' really lacking in this game? Like, I'll frequently have an experience of fighting someone and suddenly die when I thought I had plenty of HP, and it turns out a Reaper or a Pharah was perforating my backside for the last 5 seconds. In a ridiculously large number of hours spent playing multiplayer FPS games over the years, I've never really had this problem. Because they all had big obvious directional damage indicators and clear noises to indicate that you were being hit, along with HP bars that really lit up to show how much HP you had left versus what you'd lost.

The tiny healthbar tucked in the corner just isn't visually distinct enough (and can even get lost on bright scenery), the red flashes on said bar when taking damage fade so quickly that you can blink and miss them, the positional lines around the crosshair are too tiny to be useful, and they don't expand enough to show the difference between a D.va ineffectually peppering you from the other side of the map versus a Tracer on your rear end slicing off half your HP.

And the audio cues are strangely poor. Maybe there's just too much audio clutter in general, but I can never pick out a Reaper clomping up to me in his goth boots until I'm dead and watching the replay. It's just weird that although they did put in something as useful as teammates automatically calling out 'behind you' when you're getting hit, they didn't bother to put in normal damage cues that have been in games forever.

It's probably a 'git gud' thing, but every time I die without even realizing I was taking hits I always decide that this next life I'm really going to bear down and pay attention to everything around me and notice where damage is coming from. But no matter how much I focus, it always happens again. Like, if there are any pro tips outside of just constantly spinning in circles, I'm all ears.

I had a lot of these complaints when I started playing. (I also thought and still think Winston's ult was/is incongruous, the damage and knockback effects don't match up with the fact that he's ape hulk). If you keep playing you'll figure it out eventually. The cues are there but they aren't obvious right away. Your screen does flash red when you take damage. Some (all?) classes make a gasping noise when they take a bit hit or get low on health, I know Tracer's is very distinct. The noise is a strong indication that it's time to gtfo. Hits don't really feel meaty even for reaper with his shotguns. Instead, the crosshair gets kinda a white diamond around it to indicate a hit, a red one indicates a headshot. To my knowledge there aren't indicators for damage falloff.

How hits register for both the shooter and the shootee is part of the game that's not very good. Without hours of playtime to help you understand it the game seems very busy and it's not clear what is going on.

Dren fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 22, 2016

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

This game has some of the best UI and sound design in video game history. You literally picked probably the only two elements of the game that are near perfection. So, sorry about your wrong opinions? Criticize the art style, the character choices, the map design, the network code, the matchmaking, the balance... OK, fair enough. The sound design and UI? You're nuts. A blind person with headphones on could almost play this game Daredevil style, the sound is that good. Seriously, watch this video where they demonstrate it and talk about their philosophy.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 22, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Guys, this UI is absolute poo poo, Blizzard needs to take some lessons from Battleborn, furthermore,

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Xaerael posted:

I recorded me being not terrible on D.Va.

Enjoy watching me murder Roadhog multiple times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Ws8fIddhc

I'm jealous.

You get to play against Roadhogs that don't constantly and perfectly hit their hooks and immediately combo off with shotgun to the face.

I bet I could be MLG-tier if I played against those Roadhogs too.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grapplejack posted:

The map design is also far too heavily reliant on chokepoints to dictate combat, which is another big problem.

Well actually I think map design is too open which allows bastion to be ridiculously OP (please nerf).

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have problems keeping an eye on my health in fights too sometimes, especially as zarya since 50% of my focus is on making sure my beam is on someone and the other 60% is on watching my teammates' positioning :shobon:

Even though tf2 doesn't have the half health sound effect or the 25 health pips making up the bar I find it easier to know my health in that game. I have probably 40 hours so far in OW and thousands in tf2 so maybe this is something I'll just get over.

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice

Imagined posted:

Well yeah that would be nice too, as it seems like people think something BAD hit them, because their immediate response is usually to start backpedaling as soon as I shield them. But I was talking about whether you're actually hitting anything with her laser.

I totally misread you, sorry!

I would agree, some animation feedback would be super. The damage tick doesn't really get it across, unlike Symmetra or Winston.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Yo the editing in this is top notch

BobTheJanitor posted:

What the hell

I think the UI is good but I won't argue with that, but to say the SOUND DESIGN is bad is insane and wrong. This game has some of the best sound design in a game in years

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 22, 2016

urea
Aug 18, 2013

whatspeakyou posted:

Zarya's beam is a lot wider than it looks and the visual is meaningless - it shoots directly out of your camera view.

In the first screenshot the left side of its hitbox is hitting the pillar, so the beam visual gets cut off at the length from the gun to the pillar. In the second it doesnt hit the pillar so it reaches all the way to the robot.
Zarya's beam is completely fine.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

For the record, I have the same issue. Its never been an issue in my long FPS career, but I've noticed in this game I'll suddenly be dead and in the kill cam a Reaper or Tracer was wailing on me and I had no idea.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

urea posted:

Zarya's beam is a lot wider than it looks and the visual is meaningless - it shoots directly out of your camera view.

No it doesn't. If things are close to you the beam does not land on the crosshair so you have to aim up and to the left of where you think you should. At least that is what it seemed to be when I was messing around in training.

It also has some weird interactions with physics objects or the hit detection is weird. On the training map, find one of the square target thingies and shoot it. At certain ranges the beam will pass directly through the target and do nothing until you wiggle it from side to side, which causes the game to notice it's there and actually start the thing spinning.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Deep Winter posted:

For the record, I have the same issue. Its never been an issue in my long FPS career, but I've noticed in this game I'll suddenly be dead and in the kill cam a Reaper or Tracer was wailing on me and I had no idea.

So the sound of the Reaper's huge stomping feet and BOOM BOOM of his shotguns in your headphones doesn't clue you in that he's nearby? How about your screen turning red on the edges? Your character taking a loud sharp breath? The arrows in the center of your screen that not only show that you're getting hit and what direction it's coming from but also what TYPE of hit it is e.g. a single long and sharp red vector from a single shot, scattered short prickly red vectors from a spray of shots, melee attacks as white boxes, etc?

urea
Aug 18, 2013

NmareBfly posted:

No it doesn't. If things are close to you the beam does not land on the crosshair so you have to aim up and to the left of where you think you should. At least that is what it seemed to be when I was messing around in training.

It also has some weird interactions with physics objects or the hit detection is weird. On the training map, find one of the square target thingies and shoot it. At certain ranges the beam will pass directly through the target and do nothing until you wiggle it from side to side, which causes the game to notice it's there and actually start the thing spinning.

Physics objects are part of the meaningless visuals though

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Deep Winter posted:

Thanks, at least I'm not the only one. I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's certain hardware setups that have this problem, because after poking around further on other forums I'm seeing some people mention the same problem but others saying 'no way the sound is perfect you're bad at games'. There might be some kind of bug that's only hitting certain configurations where their innovative system of highlighting certain important audio cues over others is failing to properly determine what's important and completely muting the player shooting your rear end in favor of the player shooting your face. It's neat that they're trying to innovate, but I wish there was a way to toggle that off and use the old fashioned style of closer stuff being louder and just letting my simple human brain make the determination of which noises are important.

Wouldn't be a problem if the UI cues weren't so subdued as well. Either the audio or the visual damage indicators need work, preferably both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Imagined posted:

So the sound of the Reaper's huge stomping feet and BOOM BOOM of his shotguns in your headphones doesn't clue you in that he's nearby? How about your screen turning red on the edges? Your character taking a loud sharp breath? The arrows in the center of your screen that not only show that you're getting hit and what direction it's coming from but also what TYPE of hit it is e.g. a single long and sharp red vector from a single shot, scattered short prickly red vectors from a spray of shots, melee attacks as white boxes, etc?

I dunno bro, like I said, it hasn't been an issue any other FPS. I guess it's sensory overload, where there just is a lot going on. I don't think the UI and sound design is poo poo, but on the topic of "sometimes I die because I didn't know I was under attack" yeah I've had the same thought.