Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
It's gradually occurring to me that regardless of whether or not Trump wins or loses, it's a win-win for conservatives. If he wins, naturally they're validated (and I am terrified). If he loses, they'll double down on the media as the reason he lost. They keep forgetting that CNN gives Donald more free media coverage than any candidate in recent memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Eh, if he wins they'll feel validated until he fails to live up to any of his promises and they accuse him of being a sell-out RINO before entering some kind of ultimate despair.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

If he loses, they'll double down on the media as the reason he lost. They keep forgetting that CNN gives Donald more free media coverage than any candidate in recent memory.

I think it's much more likely that they'll claim he wasn't conservative enough. Ted Cruz will position himself for 2020 to run as the conservative choice, and they will lose again because the GOP is unable to realize that people are deeply deeply disturbed at the sight of his face.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

If he employs fewer than fifty people, he has quite a bit of leeway in what he demands of his hires.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That's a big ol' red flag to me to keep an eye out for when this guy's name pops up in some horrible underage sex scandal

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

BiggerBoat posted:

It's gradually occurring to me that regardless of whether or not Trump wins or loses, it's a win-win for conservatives. If he wins, naturally they're validated (and I am terrified). If he loses, they'll double down on the media as the reason he lost. They keep forgetting that CNN gives Donald more free media coverage than any candidate in recent memory.

Dunno, Trump just might, maybe, perhaps be a big enough shock to the system that they figure out how to make themselves presidentially electable again by 2020 by amputating the loony wing that voted for him.

Wouldn't put money on it, I still fully expect the Republicans to bet on Cruz Control in 2020 or something similar.

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007
Ken Ham is a crazy, young earth creationist, walking lawsuit, but somehow he seems to be getting away with this crap. According to Wikipedia he's also hiring 300-400 people, at least.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ark_Encounter#Controversy_over_hiring_practices

Also this poo poo from Ken Ham posted:

applicants were required to sign a statement of faith before being hired

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Epic High Five posted:

That's a big ol' red flag to me to keep an eye out for when this guy's name pops up in some horrible underage sex scandal

That haircut and beard wasn't a big enough red flag for you?

Joshmo posted:

Ken Ham is a crazy, young earth creationist, walking lawsuit, but somehow he seems to be getting away with this crap.

Not to be flip about it, but he gets away with this crap because he's doing it in Kentucky.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 22, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh it's Ken Ham, of course. Origin of the Ham Hightail and overall bellend. He once had a debate with Bill Nye, which you can read about here. Dude's awful.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Tesseraction posted:

Oh it's Ken Ham, of course. Origin of the Ham Hightail and overall bellend. He once had a debate with Bill Nye, which you can read about here. Dude's awful.

What a turkey!

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not RWM but related.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/donald-trump-hires-michele-bachmann-jerry-falwell-jr-article-1.2683361

quote:

The presumptive GOP presidential nominee on Tuesday enlisted the help of bible-thumpers Michele Bachmann, Jerry Falwell Jr. and other religious fanatics to advise him on faith in America.

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Not to be flip about it, but he gets away with this crap because he's doing it in Kentucky.
Oh most definitely. It was kinda encouraging at first because the state surprisingly wasn't letting him get away with it. But then they went Super Kentucky and decided against being reasonable.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Dana Loesch has a new book out called

Nation: You Can't Run a Country You've Never Been To

Here is a summary

quote:

Dana Loesch believes in Christianity, patriotism, traditional marriage, and the right to bear arms, among other “quaint” ideas. For the elites in DC, Los Angeles, New York, and Silicon Valley, that makes her as bizarre as a three-headed dog.

Loesch is alarmed that America is fracturing into two countries—not North and South, but Coastal and Flyover. Worse, the people in charge don’t understand the first thing about how most of the country thinks and lives. Consider a few examples . . .

In Flyover America, people believe criminals should be punished. Coastal America focuses on “rehabilitation.”

• Flyovers think the Declaration of Independence was crystal clear: “All men are created equal.” For Coastals, Black Lives Matter—but anyone who adds that all lives matter must be a racist.

• Coastals think they understand firearms because they watched a TV movie about Columbine. Fly- overs get a deer rifle for their thirteenth birthday.

• Coastals talk about blue-collar workers in the abstract. Flyovers have a relative who works the night shift in a granola bar factory, where the big perk is taking home a bag full of granola bars every Friday.

• Coastals think every problem—from hurt feelings to the cost of birth control—requires government intervention and huge federal spending. Flyovers know that money isn’t magic fairy dust, and many problems can be solved only by individual character and hard work.

It would all be funny—if Coastals weren’t winning on most of today’s big issues.

As Loesch writes, “Most of these pinkies-out, cocktail- drinking-appletini fans selfishly entertain grandiose plans of economic equality without realizing the negative impact their plans would have on the very people they pride themselves on helping. That’s the true class warfare.”

Loesch shines the light of truth on everything from feminism to gun violence to abortion. She reveals the damage done by elitists who flat-out don’t get the lives and values of people in the heart of the country. And she asks commonsense questions such as: How can you be angry at Walmart if you’ve never shopped in one? How can you hate the police if you’ve never needed help from a cop? How can you attack Christians if you don’t have a single friend who goes to church?

In other words, how can you run a country you’ve never been to? And how much could our politics improve if Coastals would actually listen to their fellow Americans? This book is a rallying cry for anyone who wants our leaders to understand and respect the culture that made America exceptional in the first place.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hillary Clinton certainly has no experience with Walmart or religion.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I like how "rehabilitation" is a bad thing for people in prison

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
It's only bad for people they don't care about. Once it's one of them it's a tragedy that calls for mercy because they're the real victim.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Here is a summary

That is a nice collection of conservative nonsense talking points.

"All men are created equal" followed by demonstration that they have no idea what Black Lives Matters even refers to or that "All Lives Matter" does absolutely nothing but harass BLM protests rather than protect anyone and that economic equality is just crazy.

"Fly overs think that criminals should be punished" ignoring that the punishment is usually in no way proportional to the crimes and that there might be some form of causes to crimes beyond "he was evilll!"

My personal favorite for the sheer lack of self-awareness was complaining that "Costals talk about blue collar workers in the abstract."

Rick_Hunter posted:

It's only bad for people they don't care about. Once it's one of them it's a tragedy that calls for mercy because they're the real victim.

Only bad guys go to prison so we must keep on hitting them and ostracize them forever until they see the love and kindness of our society. Unless they're wealth WASPs in which case, they we must be as light on them as possible. This is effective and just.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 22, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm a Coastal-American.

Come at me, bro.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Rick_Hunter posted:

If only that dastardly unconscious drunk lady hadn't been there to be savagely raped behind a dumpster this poor boy's swimming career would still be ahead of him, instead he has to spend a whole six months in prison where there might be a blah person!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Feinne posted:

If only that dastardly unconscious drunk lady hadn't been there to be savagely raped behind a dumpster this poor boy's swimming career would still be ahead of him, instead he has to spend a whole six months in prison where there might be a blah person!

"That poor lad would have had such a bright future if not for those godless LIEberal colleges teaching him to act like some ill mannered colored person."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Phone posted:

I'm a Coastal-American.

Come at me, bro.

Where do South Eastern states fit in on the Coastal-American spectrum?

Is Savannah, Georgia full of Coastal Elites? What about Tampa, Florida? Mobile, Alabama?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Flyover Country

https://twitter.com/nydailynews/status/745627710089736193

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

quote:

• In Flyover America, people believe criminals should be punished. Coastal America focuses on “rehabilitation.”
:nallears:

quote:

• Flyovers think the Declaration of Independence was crystal clear: “All men are created equal.” For Coastals, Black Lives Matter—but anyone who adds that all lives matter must be a racist.
all_houses_matter.jpg

The most interesting part for me is the intersection between people who post "all lives matter" but also not-so-thinly veiled racism as well. 100% intersection

quote:

• Coastals think they understand firearms because they watched a TV movie about Columbine. Fly- overs get a deer rifle for their thirteenth birthday.
I also got a rifle around that age, but that doesn't translate to getting mad I can open carry an AR15 at Chipotle.

quote:

• Coastals talk about blue-collar workers in the abstract. Flyovers have a relative who works the night shift in a granola bar factory, where the big perk is taking home a bag full of granola bars every Friday.
Flyovers thinks these jobs are good and should be preserved?

quote:

• Coastals think every problem—from hurt feelings to the cost of birth control—requires government intervention and huge federal spending. Flyovers know that money isn’t magic fairy dust, and many problems can be solved only by individual character and hard work.
Bathroom restrictions, gay marriage restrictions, abortion restrictions: all brought to you liberals.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Here is a summary

It's like reading the least funny Jeff Foxworthy book ever.

Geostomp posted:

"Fly overs think that criminals should be punished" ignoring that the punishment is usually in no way proportional to the crimes and that there might be some form of causes to crimes beyond "he was evilll!"

"Criminal" is a Flyover dog whistle for blacks/illegals

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

"Replacing one of the most infamously racist presidents with the most famous figure of the Underground Railroad is so insensitive me!" - White Republican Congressman

It's kind of depressing just how deeply "reverse racism" has melded into the conservative persecution complex these days. A little longer and they really will be demanding that everyone tolerate their intolerance without bothering to hide behind religion.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

quote:

Loesch is alarmed that America is fracturing into two countries—not North and South, but Coastal and Flyover.
More like conservatives are splitting further and further away from the human race.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Coastals drive like this, ee ee ee eeeeeh Flyovers drive like THIS do doop ba doooooop.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

This would be easy to challenge if they tried to enforce it. "How do you know I had sex? Were you there?"

https://youtu.be/7pzW5ExcGpY

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Radish posted:

Hillary Clinton certainly has no experience with Walmart or religion.

Hillary's a Methodist. She's a step down from Universalists from being a communist.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I was raised Methodist. Large swaths of the denomination aren't as liberal as your thinking.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Star Man posted:

Hillary's a Methodist. She's a step down from Universalists from being a communist.

Pretty sure Radish is aware.

That was sarcasm. Hillary was on Walmart's board of directors.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Right but Star Man was saying that the kind of people that say Hillary has no experience with religion would probably also be the kind of people that would say that Methodists don't count.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Pope Guilty posted:

I was raised Methodist. Large swaths of the denomination aren't as liberal as your thinking.

So was I. But a church full of moderate Republicans is considered pretty liberal in some circles.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

And your point is?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's really weird that Hillary is the "religious" candidate this time around.

Star Man posted:

I mean yeah to certain Christians Catholics are heretics that worship Mary among other idols. They still go to church so the coastal America comment is really dumb (duh).

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 22, 2016

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Reminder Kentucky's current governor ran on a platform of saying he would kill Obamacare(Kynect) and now his stupid base is salty that he's doing the thing they wanted because it affects them.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Joshmo posted:

Oh most definitely. It was kinda encouraging at first because the state surprisingly wasn't letting him get away with it. But then they went Super Kentucky and decided against being reasonable.

We got a new, psychotic governor since then.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Flyover Country

https://twitter.com/rawstory/status/745687842194587648
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/745678013187129344

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

quote:

Loesch is alarmed that America is fracturing into two countries—not North and South, but Coastal and Flyover.

So once global warming causes the sea levels to rise enough to wipe out all the Coastal residents, they'll get to say it was God's punishment all along. Brilliant in it's own way. You've got to hand it to some of these True Believers. They're in it for the long haul and anything that happens already has a built explanation, win or lose.

Bunch of gays get murdered in Orlando by an ISIS sympathizer? They can go "gays deserved to die" AND "drat, why won't Obama fight ISIS?"

Obama gets 2 terms and is gonna take our guns and put us in FEMA camps and institute martial law? Well, that never happened. "We stopped him! Together! By praying and banding together!"

"Global warming? What global warming?....Oh, THAT global warming. Well, it only drowned those liberal pinko commies in those coastal cities. God has spoken."

In certain ways I envy them. They get to start with the explanation first and then cram the conclusion into their predetermined belief system. It's like the old joke where the guy's waving a banana around, someone asks him why and he says it keeps the tigers away.

"But there are no tigers here."

"See, it works"

*Tiger attacks and kills someone*

"Obviously not enough people were waving bananas!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
https://twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/745657187419230208

As you might guess without even looking, the picture is of Rep. John Lewis.