Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Xae posted:

Chronic Conditions are a bitch. They're the primary driver of the increases as well as, according to the CDC, about 85% of medical costs in general.

But continue to refuse to believe in reality. You and politicians have been refusing to do it for 20 years and it has worked great so far!

You can't be serious. The problem is for-profit medicine and not the patients, you dingbat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also, that's the House not the Senate.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

zoux posted:

No it is, the Dems voted against Republican bullshit weak rear end measures and trying to spin that like "Dem's are actually just as against gun control as Republicans, and did I say actually" is loving lying.

who said actually?

They're not just as against gun control, and I never said that. I will, however, say it's lovely that they voted against the (admittedly weak!) Republican measures. Perfect, enemy of the good, and all that.

CommieGIR posted:

You can't be serious. The problem is for-profit medicine and not the patients, you dingbat.

Part of it, sure, but to pretend that medical costs are not quickly growing to unsustainable rates in many countries with UHC because of EOL care and chronic conditions is... just not accurate in any way shape or form.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Perhaps the actual text of the amendments made a difference.

Don't pretend that the Feinstein amendment wasn't hot garbage.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

zoux posted:

No it is, the Dems voted against Republican bullshit weak rear end measures and trying to spin that like "Dem's are actually just as against gun control as Republicans, and did I say actually" is loving lying.

They had blatant poison pills like reversing diplomatic relations with Cuba and defunding the ACA iirc.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

She's in college and wants to pay for the wall by cutting research grants :psypop:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Necc0 posted:

Also had blatant poison pills like reversing diplomatic relations with Cuba and defunding the ACA iirc.

:qq: perfect is the enemy of the good :qq:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Necc0 posted:

They had blatant poison pills like reversing diplomatic relations with Cuba and defunding the ACA iirc.

Is that the case? I didn't see anything of that sort when I looked at news coverage. If so, that obviously changes the calculus.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Apparently Ryan cut off the cspan cameras?
https://twitter.com/cspan/status/745643506786504704

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

Necc0 posted:

Do you have a source for that?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Xae posted:

Chronic Conditions are a bitch. They're the primary driver of the increases as well as, according to the CDC, about 85% of medical costs in general.

But continue to refuse to believe in reality. You and politicians have been refusing to do it for 20 years and it has worked great so far!

Sure, why not? Let's see some numbers to back up your claim.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The Iron Rose posted:

who said actually?

They're not just as against gun control, and I never said that. I will, however, say it's lovely that they voted against the (admittedly weak!) Republican measures. Perfect, enemy of the good, and all that.

The republican measures wouldn't have done poo poo. All they would have done is implement something that wouldn't have had the funding/would be impossible to enforce. So when nothing changes the GOP/NRA can say hey we implemented gun control legislation and it didn't work see guys we told you.

And like stated above that's not even mentioning the poison pills in it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Is that the case? I didn't see anything of that sort when I looked at news coverage. If so, that obviously changes the calculus.

I love that, in 2016, you're still under the impression that the Republican party is acting in good faith.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

theflyingorc posted:

The Book of Mormon being an addition to scripture is really, really antithetical to the Evangelical position. Adding anything onto the Bible is a problem.

Which I always found pretty hilarious. So much of their worldview is based on completely extra-biblical writing. The rapture, the idea of dispensations, the idea of a young Earth; just as examples. It's like they believe that adding things to the Bible only counts if it's written with thees and thous.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Xae posted:

Nope. The primary driver of medical cost increases is the unchecked and unregulated pricing done by hospitals. Yes, Chronic Conditions are the biggest category treated, but that in itself only guarantees a repeat "consumer".

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

$10 says a Republican short on reelection funds nicked them when no one was looking and is currently on their way to the nearest pawn shop.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

WampaLord posted:

I love that, in 2016, you're still under the impression that the Republican party is acting in good faith.

I am by no means doing so, I've just literally not seen a source for the poison pills anywhere and this is the first I've heard about it.

Dexo posted:

The republican measures wouldn't have done poo poo. All they would have done is implement something that wouldn't have had the funding/would be impossible to enforce. So when nothing changes the GOP/NRA can say hey we implemented gun control legislation and it didn't work see guys we told you.

And like stated above that's not even mentioning the poison pills in it.

the one that simply gave 72 hours for a judge to block a purchase by someone on the terrorist watchlist, no. but grassley's amendment wasn't that terrible iirc.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

yeah it's scripted and boring and full of easily refutable bullshit claims

Do you think Manafort went full on, late term Hilter, and has started drugging Donald's morning coffee?

[not serious in case someone hasn't had their morning cup of drug coffee]

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

WampaLord posted:

You can't make accusations like that without evidence. I assume that you have some?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pacmania90 posted:

You can't make accusations like that without evidence. I assume that you have some?

Hell I can make worse accusations than that without evidence.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Republicans are all actually just rat kings wearing human skin suits.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

God I'm listening to Inhofe on CSPAN and it's the woooooorst.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Talmonis posted:

Nope. The primary driver of medical cost increases is the unchecked and unregulated pricing done by hospitals. Yes, Chronic Conditions are the biggest category treated, but that in itself only guarantees a repeat "consumer".

Not coincidentally, chronic conditions are the biggest pain in the rear end for health insurance.

It's a lot easier to drop someone from care when they come to you out of nowhere with fifty thousand dollars worth of claims for something new; when they go from needing five thousand every year for their chronic condition to a hundred thousand, it's a lot trickier to justify "well, uh, we did another look at your policy and it turns out we don't have to pay for this, bye, have fun."

Not that it stops some insurers from trying, mind you, but that's one of the few rescission cases you can trust some lawyer will take on just on the promise they'll get a cut of the settlement.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

zoux posted:

Republicans are all actually just rat kings wearing human skin suits.

That's a filthy lie, Ted Cruz is a mass of squirrels, not rats wearing a human skin suit.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

pacmania90 posted:

You mean about those amendments in particular or my general statement that the GOP doesn't act in good faith?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dr_rat posted:

$10 says a Republican short on reelection funds nicked them when no one was looking and is currently on their way to the nearest pawn shop.

Trump's got a guy who pays top dollar for 'lightly used' electronics

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

duz posted:

That's a filthy lie, Ted Cruz is a mass of squirrels, not rats wearing a human skin suit.

I was going to go with a seething pile of centipedes and botflies, but ymmv.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BresPolitico/status/745649351922319360

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Should call in that fat cop to pepper spray them.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

WampaLord posted:

You mean about those amendments in particular or my general statement that the GOP doesn't act in good faith?

I mean about the amendments. I just looked at 3 articles at random on Google news about this story, and none of them mentioned any "poison pills".

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Ze Pollack posted:

Not coincidentally, chronic conditions are the biggest pain in the rear end for health insurance.

It's a lot easier to drop someone from care when they come to you out of nowhere with fifty thousand dollars worth of claims for something new; when they go from needing five thousand every year for their chronic condition to a hundred thousand, it's a lot trickier to justify "well, uh, we did another look at your policy and it turns out we don't have to pay for this, bye, have fun."

Not that it stops some insurers from trying, mind you, but that's one of the few rescission cases you can trust some lawyer will take on just on the promise they'll get a cut of the settlement.

Chronic conditions is the main area my company is targeting for better pre-treatment, to lessen the impact later on down the road. Diabetes prevention, Obesity, high cholesterol, etc. They even have incentive programs for people who improve their levels (resulting in a decreased deductible and such).

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

They should have done a die-in

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

pacmania90 posted:

I was under the impression that the Democrats voted against just as many gun control amendments yesterday as the Republicans. It seems really disingenuous to pin all the blame on Republicans in light of that fact.

The Iron Rose posted:

it's actually not for once

It's because the Republicans packed their amendments with tons of riders for things as diverse and unrelated to gun control as selectively defunding certain NASA programs.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It's because the Republicans packed their amendments with tons of riders for things as diverse and unrelated to gun control as selectively defunding certain NASA programs.

Is that so?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Don't look like it:
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/votes.htm

But still to pretend that the Democrats voting against bullshit watered down Republican worthless gun control amendments means that they don't support gun control is idiocy or trolling.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

pacmania90 posted:

Is that so?

Yes, they repeatedly poison pilled every bill.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Dexo posted:

The republicandemocratic measures wouldn't have done poo poo. All they would have done is implement something that wouldn't have had the funding/would be impossibleunconstitutional to enforce. So when nothing changes the GOP/NRAthe DNC and Feinstein can say hey we implemented some gun control legislation and it didn't work see guys we need to just get more ineffective legislation .

Let's not act like the Democrats were acting in good faith. Using secret lists, denying constitutionally protected rights without due process to people, this is some evil stuff.

That's the facist kind of garbage that you'd expect them to oppose.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I want to see someone propose some Australia level gun control.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, they repeatedly poison pilled every bill.

Yeah I was reading it wrong, here's the action on one of the R measures.
https://www.congress.gov/amendment/114th-congress/senate-amendment/4749/text/2164030

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
What's the sit-in obstructing?

• Locked thread