Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JackMack posted:

It is a deal. And many might say, a foregone conclusion... I will bring the brown sauce.

Part of the attraction of painting models like that is their utility in a whole pile of games. I first got them a few years ago for a necromunda campaign funnily enough. The guy with his hair falling across his face early on got a grappling hook and used to swing about the place. They were a pile of calamitous cowards sadly, despite looking badass

Most Necro gangs are a pile of cowards, child soldiers, and permanent injuries, and I wouldn't have it any other way. My Goliath gang, Team MEAT, was pretty great though. In one campaign, Cocktail Weenie went from juve to ganger to champion, and every time someone I was playing against had a gunslinger, he'd kill them with his scoped bolter. A guy in my group even got excited and modeled up an old Van Saar mini with two bolt pistols to reflect his new skills, and then turn one I plunk him from 30" away and he falls to his death. Necromunda is a good loving time you guys.

SRM fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Dale-Taco posted:

So I am getting back into 40K after about 2 years and I just want to know if my sisters army is still hot garbage or has 7th made them less awful.

I am sure the answer is no, but I hope otherwise.

Strong mix of melta and flamers keep them relevant; Exorcists can eat flyers despite not having Skyfire. Ally in a Knight to round out their lack of options (and to include Skyfire, really).

That said, it's still really obvious they're operating on a 6th ed codex, particularly given how all their not!psyker abilities are LD-based still; additionally, they have received no update or additional material, publications, or formations.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

JackMack posted:

It is a deal. And many might say, a foregone conclusion... I will bring the brown sauce.

Part of the attraction of painting models like that is their utility in a whole pile of games. I first got them a few years ago for a necromunda campaign funnily enough. The guy with his hair falling across his face early on got a grappling hook and used to swing about the place. They were a pile of calamitous cowards sadly, despite looking badass

I would disagree if we play a bit of Heresy! Never had a game go completely one way... (play heresy everyone)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Three flyer box games in the style of Imperial Knight: Renegade and the Start Collecting! Blood Angels force

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I like these matchups, tau and necrons, marines and chaos, eldar and orcs.

But drat, GW is seriously pushing the fliers. Are they crazy profitable or just not selling well or what is going on?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I don't know the prices on those bundles but I assume they're like the Knight box, just a way to sell cheaper pairs of models, plus the more flyers that are out there the more of the flyer rulebook they may sell.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

krushgroove posted:

I don't know the prices on those bundles but I assume they're like the Knight box, just a way to sell cheaper pairs of models, plus the more flyers that are out there the more of the flyer rulebook they may sell.

Rumor is that they're $75 US each. GW doesn't do sales, but all the bundles where you get more stuff for less money are a neat way to work around that.

Zaphod42 posted:

I like these matchups, tau and necrons, marines and chaos, eldar and orcs.

But drat, GW is seriously pushing the fliers. Are they crazy profitable or just not selling well or what is going on?
They've been seriously pushing fliers since 6th edition. The box game stuff they've been pushing out is to get more people to buy more stuff, and I'm guessing to fill gaps in the release schedule since they'll want to save a lot of the good stuff for 8th edition when that drops. Rumors are pointing to that being as early as autumn or sometime next year.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

Rumor is that they're $75 US each. GW doesn't do sales, but all the bundles where you get more stuff for less money are a neat way to work around that.

They've been seriously pushing fliers since 6th edition. The box game stuff they've been pushing out is to get more people to buy more stuff, and I'm guessing to fill gaps in the release schedule since they'll want to save a lot of the good stuff for 8th edition when that drops. Rumors are pointing to that being as early as autumn or sometime next year.

Nah, they're $100 each. Still a good deal, but not "poo poo I have to buy one of these with a friend right now" amazing. You basically get a 20-30% discount on the flyer (depending on the box) if you split it with a friend (and toss out the other stuff, which will happen 100% of the time).

http://www.spikeybits.com/2016/06/gws-new-july-releases-teaser-revealed.html

E: GW has also said that they'll be releasing rules for every flyer out there alongside these new box sets, so that'll be cool.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 21, 2016

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I hope they start to give every army super-heavy flyers as the Next Big Thing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Strong mix of melta and flamers keep them relevant; Exorcists can eat flyers despite not having Skyfire. Ally in a Knight to round out their lack of options (and to include Skyfire, really).

This is the direction I'm eventually going, once I figure out what stuff I still have and where I left it.

If I went primarily Knights, what would a good list look like? Probably three Knights, three exorcists, and foot sisters to points?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

I hope they start to give every army super-heavy flyers as the Next Big Thing.

And only the Eldar and Tau ones will actually be any good. :v:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

And only the Eldar and Tau ones will actually be any good. :v:

The track record on tau airplanes is pretty abysmal.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Mango Polo posted:

Counterpoint. The Manta has never gone up against a wallet it couldn't reliably destroy.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

moths posted:

This is the direction I'm eventually going, once I figure out what stuff I still have and where I left it.

If I went primarily Knights, what would a good list look like? Probably three Knights, three exorcists, and foot sisters to points?

Yeah probably exactly that.

Quick battlescribe-fu:

3x Knight Warden
Cannoness
2x5 sisters, heavy flamer in MM Immolators
3x exorcists

Some bling or swap the heavy flamers for 2x meltaguns and the immolator back to a heavy flamer brings you to 1845 so like a melta bomb on the Cannoness.

It's not a GT winner but it's pretty drat solid.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Mango Polo posted:

I thought the Forgeworld Tau flyers were OK?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Mango Polo posted:

I thought brown sauce was gravy, but it seems to be something entirely different. Gravy is awesome for any sandwich anyway.

That's what I thought as well, however I've known the glory of The Hat's wet pastrami fries and it's the best use of gravy ever.

:btroll:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Jesus, it's like meat poutine.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Naramyth posted:

Thanks man! That actually looks pretty fun and not too far off from what I've got available.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

koreban posted:

That's what I thought as well, however I've known the glory of The Hat's wet pastrami fries and it's the best use of gravy ever.

That looks like a catastrophic explosive prolapse on a disappointing plate of not-chips. Not lovely. Not lovely at all.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

moths posted:

Naramyth posted:

Quick battlescribe-fu:

3x Knight Warden
Cannoness
2x5 sisters, heavy flamer in MM Immolators
3x exorcists

Some bling or swap the heavy flamers for 2x meltaguns and the immolator back to a heavy flamer brings you to 1845 so like a melta bomb on the Cannoness.

It's not a GT winner but it's pretty drat solid.

It's also worthwhile to throw some Seraphim in for plasma/melta deep strike.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

krushgroove posted:

Do you mean the Forge World open day? That's mid-July, Warhammer Fest was last month.

Yeah that one. I can't keep track of all their different marketing events

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

koreban posted:

That looks like a form of poutine. I approve. Hail poutine. I wish I could have poutine here. God I miss poutine so much. Poutine, love of my life.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Mango Polo posted:

That looks like a form of poutine. I approve. Hail poutine. I wish I could have poutine here. God I miss poutine so much. Poutine, love of my life.

When I moved to the UK I had to learn how to make my own good Mexican and Texan food, but since I've been here there's been an influx of American food and the junk food like Cheetos, Snapple and loads of other brands are much easier to get, even in shops. The point is, you can get recipes online to make whatever you want. If you have the space to cook what you want it's awesome to make your own version of home-cooked food.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So my Decimator that I bought from some guy on facebook on a whim arrived today. I have to say, I wasn't really that big of a fan of the model based on pictures, but in person, it is extremely awesome. I wonder if the Brass Scorpion is in a similar vein, as it looks odd in pictures, but I can see it looking really awesome in person.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Just finished another Deathwatch Mans. This is my modeled version of Kreger Thann, a Red Scorpions Apothecary-Sergeant. In the fluff, he's a badass at creating toxins and poisons and is obsessed with making a toxin that will kill Tyranids. I wanted to do a DW Apothecary, and I figured he'd definitely have to be a Red Scorpion. Legs/sword arm are from Vanguard Veteran kit.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Your Deathwatch stuff is definitely awesome. I love that it has such color to it as opposed to the usual "shoulder pads is the only color" thing that some people do.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's also worthwhile to throw some Seraphim in for plasma/melta deep strike.

Are the special pistols good? With the shorter range I figured they would be too tricky to position and use effectively. I haven't gotten to play regularly since fifth edition though, so maybe I'm over-thinking it.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
It's as risky as it is effective; I just saw that the Inferno pisols were 6" in range, sooo :shrug: Whoops. Pretty terrible for 15 points apiece.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
My brother-in-law is returning to the game after a year or so of being unavailable and thus we are having a 1500pt match this weekend. I was thinking of dusting off the ol' Imperium and using a mix of armies for some flavor against his Eldar force.

Here's what I'm considering currently:

Cult Mechanicus Combined Arms Detachment (820pts)

HQ:
Techpriest Dominus 105pts

Troops:
3x Kataphron Destroyer 165pts (180pts)
++Grav-cannon
++3x Cognis Flamer 15pts

3x Kataphron Breacher 150pts

Lord of War:
Knight Warden 385pts

Adeptus Astartes: Salamanders Combined Arms Detachment (680pts)

HQ:
Tech-Marine 65pts (90pts)
++Servo Harness 25pts

Troops:
10x Tactical Space Marine 140pts (190pts)
++Multi-melta 10pts
++Flamer 5pts
Rhino 35pts

10x Tactical Space Marine 140pts (200pts)
++Gravgun 15pts
++Combi-grav 10pts
Rhino 35pts

5x Tactical Space Marine 70pts (125pts)
++Flamer 5pts
++Combi-flamer 10pts
Drop Pod 40pts

Heavy Support:
Stalker 75pts

He loooves Wraithknights (who doesn't :smithicide:) so I know I'm going to want some grav. Beside that I figured it might be a nice time to try a Stalker for his Wave Serpents/Flyers. I figured the Tech-marine would hop in the Drop Pod for a back-line suicide mission to nuke any D-weapon artillery or snipers. Thoughts?

Edit: I had mixed up the names of the Hunter/Stalker vehicles in my head. Stalkers are the ones that are at least decent for their price.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 22, 2016

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

PierreTheMime posted:

My brother-in-law is returning to the game after a year or so of being unavailable and thus we are having a 1500pt match this weekend. I was thinking of dusting off the ol' Imperium and using a mix of armies for some flavor against his Eldar force.

Here's what I'm considering currently:

Cult Mechanicus Combined Arms Detachment (820pts)

HQ:
Techpriest Dominus 105pts

Troops:
3x Kataphron Destroyer 165pts (180pts)
++Grav-cannon
++3x Cognis Flamer 15pts

3x Kataphron Breacher 150pts

Lord of War:
Knight Warden 385pts

Adeptus Astartes: Salamanders Combined Arms Detachment (680pts)

HQ:
Tech-Marine 65pts (90pts)
++Servo Harness 25pts

Troops:
10x Tactical Space Marine 140pts (190pts)
++Multi-melta 10pts
++Flamer 5pts
Rhino 35pts

10x Tactical Space Marine 140pts (200pts)
++Gravgun 15pts
++Combi-grav 10pts
Rhino 35pts

5x Tactical Space Marine 70pts (125pts)
++Flamer 5pts
++Combi-flamer 10pts
Drop Pod 40pts

Heavy Support:
Hunter 75pts

He loooves Wraithknights (who doesn't :smithicide:) so I know I'm going to want some grav. Beside that I figured it might be a nice time to try a Hunter for his Wave Serpents/Flyers. I figured the Tech-marine would hop in the Drop Pod for a back-line suicide mission to nuke any D-weapon artillery or snipers. Thoughts?

Have you thought about running the, as Iron Hamds, rather than Salamanders? Bonus to Blessing of the Omnissiah and It will not Die on your vehicle. Plus, it's a wee bit fluffier, when allied with Cult Mech.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

jadebullet posted:

Your Deathwatch stuff is definitely awesome. I love that it has such color to it as opposed to the usual "shoulder pads is the only color" thing that some people do.

Thanks! One of the things I've been trying to do is preserve the ornamentation colors of the chapter--so bone in the case of the Ravenwing, White for the Raven Guard, and Dark yellow for the Red Scorpions. I think it helps maintain the chapter identity a bit better while also not getting too far off the Deathwatch aesthetic. The big challenge with these guys is that if you add too much color, they stop looking like a uniform force and become a clown brigade of bright, mismatched colors.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

It's as risky as it is effective; I just saw that the Inferno pisols were 6" in range, sooo :shrug: Whoops. Pretty terrible for 15 points apiece.

Drop melta is already a gamble, 6" guns are not helping. Seraphim are cute but not "give up a knight or obsec transport" good.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Does anyone know of some good models that would work for an Ork Weirdboy?

I know there are companies like Kromlech that do cool stuff regarding basic boyz and meganobz, bit I haven't found much for 3rd party weirdboyz.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

krushgroove posted:

When I moved to the UK I had to learn how to make my own good Mexican and Texan food, but since I've been here there's been an influx of American food and the junk food like Cheetos, Snapple and loads of other brands are much easier to get, even in shops. The point is, you can get recipes online to make whatever you want. If you have the space to cook what you want it's awesome to make your own version of home-cooked food.

Can't get the cheese curds :(

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Mango Polo posted:

Can't get the cheese curds :(

Easy! Make your own cheese! (I have no idea what goes into making cheese, just some vague recollections of YouTube documentaries)

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Floppychop posted:

I know there are companies like Kromlech that do cool stuff regarding basic boyz and meganobz, bit I haven't found much for 3rd party weirdboyz.

This guy looks all right.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

TheChirurgeon posted:

Thanks! One of the things I've been trying to do is preserve the ornamentation colors of the chapter--so bone in the case of the Ravenwing, White for the Raven Guard, and Dark yellow for the Red Scorpions. I think it helps maintain the chapter identity a bit better while also not getting too far off the Deathwatch aesthetic. The big challenge with these guys is that if you add too much color, they stop looking like a uniform force and become a clown brigade of bright, mismatched colors.

Well I'm going to +1 the sentiment that you have been seriously killing it. Definitely some of the most lifeful Deathwatch I've ever seen!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Dark Angels FAQ is up: https://www.facebook.com/1575682476085719/photos/pcb.1636193993367900/1636192513368048/?type=3&theater

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Floppychop posted:

Depends how 'hi-tech' you want them to be. If you want primitive styled guys then there are plenty of fantasy Orc Shamans that could work, e.g. http://www.thewarstore.com/product83564.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Vote you heathens.

https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2016/06/21/itc-poll-going-up-wednesday-june-22nd/

• Locked thread