Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No, that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Ruh-roh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOL20yOKqGg

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Is there any way to tell from this video what it is that they're dumping?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
No one misses the screwfly, frankly.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

His Divine Shadow posted:

Insects are just a bug, not a feature.

Mozi posted:

Insects v.1.1 patch notes: Bug fixes and performance improvements

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Seeing how bad we are at selectively eliminating species and how bad we are at predicting the effects of our actions on the biosphere I'm calling bullshit.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

SpacePig posted:

The guy says it's sludge from their parts wash machine, so it's probably some kind of slurry of oils, hydraulic fluids, sealants, heavy metals and so on from whatever parts they're making, combined with whatever solvent/acid they're using to clean parts. The label on the drum, Hocut 759-H, is just a mineral-oil based cutting fluid.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Its always funny when people say not to worry about bees/wasps because they only act defensively.

The first time I was stung by a bee I was sitting in a parked car playing my gameboy and a bee flew in and stung my eyelid.

The second time I was sleeping on my porch and I felt something land on my foot. I looked down and saw a bee. After about 5 seconds of harmlessly walking around my foot it stung me.

gently caress bees. They will sting you for no reason.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I've never been stung by a live bee. Only dead bees floating in pools.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

To be fair bugs are real dumb

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Krinkle posted:

I've never been stung by a live bee. Only dead bees floating in pools.

I have never been stung or bit by a wild animal or insect besides mosquitos

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Landing a bit off balance, but totally stuck it. 8.7

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Improbable Lobster posted:

Americans scorn roundabouts

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

SpacePig posted:

A single pack of cigarettes

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

GTA6 looking good

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

dr.acula posted:

To be fair bugs are real dumb

I work in software development, can confirm

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

I love how the red light camera takes a photo at the end.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Lincoln posted:

i hope he got a citation for "just being too loving awesome" or "dem drat duke boys at it again"

what is this.

am i seeing someone with superpowers or someone getting murdered?

I...

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 23, 2016

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Guy lived quite fine, the news story broke with 'fastest man alive' jokes and an interview. You can see him scamper off to the left.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Scamper nothing, dude grew wings or that vid is sped up.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I guess seeing two enormous trucks speeding towards you makes you fleet of foot.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Lincoln posted:

I love the dog/cat on the left just stopping, witnessing that Dukes of Hazzard stunt.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Seen this before but I just noticed the dog on the left just stop and stare as the car achieved escape velocity

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Also kill all spiders and increase the bat, bird, and frog populations please.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Decrepus posted:

Spiders are perfect and each one is my friend and yours.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I have a kill on sight policy inside my house (since even if they're harmless, that's one less that can reproduce) for everything but lizards, mosquito hawks, and those cute tiny jumping spiders.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Decrepus posted:

Deaths from mosquitoes are something like 5 orders of magnitude greater than spiders.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I grew up in a place with lots of harmless snakes, no one really feared or demonized them. We'd catch them and play with them (warning they'll poo poo their panic stink defense fluid on you) and they were nice and smooth and fun to pet once they calmed down.

While visiting a site for work once there was a pile of boulders near the edge of a newly built building and I thought something was a garden hose and I got a bit pissed that they dumped these landscaping rocks on this very pretty hose and went to grab it but it was in fact a snake enjoying the sunny rocks. That could be pretty OSHA if I lived somewhere with dangerous snakes I guess.
And then some of us live in Texas, which has over half the venomous snake species present in the entire continent, some of which are assholes and will actively chase you. Rattlesnakes are cool as long as you don't step on 'em, though -- they warn you if given the chance, and only attack in self-defense because we're obviously too big to be food, others ... not so much. Though lab tests have determined that their level of aggressiveness is exaggerated, the water moccasins do tend to be more likely to put themselves in a place where they need to defend themselves -- "Oh, I'm tired of swimming/sitting on this branch, this boat looks like a good place to climb into to rest."

Growing up in rural-ish Texas, I learned the hallmarks of A Snake You Don't gently caress With at a very young age. (Protip: triangular head or red touching yellow = bad. Valid only for North America; Aussies/South Asians, just assume any snake is out to get you.)

Hyperlynx posted:

Probably not, after all the things that eat mosquitoes, mosquito eggs and mosquito larvae die out as a result, then all the things that eat them, then all the things that eat them etc.

So, what, dragonflies (the larvae eat mosquito larvae and the adults eat adult mosquitoes)? Anything that eats dragonflies can learn to eat other bug that eat less offensive things. Hell, dragonflies could probably find something else to eat. Overall, a positive. Or a complete collapse of the ecosystem in which the dragonflies and the small birds/bats/dragonflies/etc wipe out their alternate prey species due to eating more of them rather than mosquitoes, which apparently scientists don't think will happen.

Or, worst case, the dragonflies/bats/etc. evolve to feed on mammals (hell, the bats are partially there already) and we just end up with much larger, cuter mosquito-equivalents. OTOH, we could just wear full-face helmets and Kevlar clothing and carry a tennis racket around if we needed to swat those.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Mosquitoes are a goddamn keystone species. It sucks for us but it's a fact. Considering how many food chains they are part of, that's one domino I'd be wary of tipping.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Pharmaskittle posted:

I have a kill on sight policy inside my house (since even if they're harmless, that's one less that can reproduce) for everything but lizards, mosquito hawks, and those cute tiny jumping spiders.

Googled mosquito hawk and I have no idea why you'd let those things live

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

the yeti posted:

Garter snakes are fuckin foul if they cut loose on you. Not as bad as rat snakes though and way less of a bad attitude.

just gonna leave this here.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

ranbo das posted:

The ones where I live in the dirty south are big dumb idiots that don't bite or anything, and are guaranteed to die on their own time indoors

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
On-topic: when I was a kid, my dad took me to worth with him sometimes when school was out and my retired grandparents were unavailable, because gently caress paying a babysitter. He was the "service manager" at an HVAC shop owned by his older brother with his younger brother as the field tech. So dad mostly worked in the shop building ducting for his lil' bro to install. Sure, let a 7-year-old have the run of the sheetmetal fabrication shop, nothing bad can possibly result from this! Luckily I was more interested in the IBM Selectric in the front office, at least until I was old enough to understand the dangers of using the shop machinery to build things with the scrap bits of metal.

Actual OSHA: the ceiling of the shop was rather low, and of course they built their own ceiling fans by hanging the fans from scrapped condenser units from the ceiling. Dad is not tall, and he once walked into one. Cut a good half-inch into the bill of his baseball cap. If Dad hadn't habitually worn a ballcap (he was bald even then, and wore it to protect against scalp sunburn), he probably would have at best needed stitches and at worst got an accidental lobotomy -- they also did commercial work, so some of their ceiling fans had some serious horsepower behind them.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ranbo das posted:

they don't do anything except fly around poorly and be huge

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

That'd be dope. I mean, I haven't seen a goddamn snake up here in Washington in a decade or more.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

they don't do anything except fly around poorly and be huge

Had one of those land on my chest as a ~5 year old and I froze in terror, certain it was a giant mosquito about to penetrate my heart and kill me.

simplyhorribul
Jul 30, 2013

Pharmaskittle posted:

The ones where I live in the dirty south are big dumb idiots that don't bite or anything, and are guaranteed to die on their own time indoors
I wouldn't mind if they weren't big or dumb, but with that combo, jebus, how much noise does one panicked fucker cause!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

simplyhorribul posted:

I wouldn't mind if they weren't big or dumb, but with that combo, jebus, how much noise does one panicked fucker cause!

Like none. They just fly around, seemingly oblivious to their surroundings, and don't do anything at all. The worst thing they can possibly do is leave a corpse, usually near your A/C vent.