Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
A little backstory about this pet peeve: Ever since I was a little kid, I've been severely allergic/asthmatic around dogs and cats. I didn't have a ton of friends as a kid because everyone in my class had a dog or cat, and my reactions were so bad that kid's parents would clean their house top-to-bottom to accommodate me and I'd have to go home early. I've had to have serious talks with my girlfriend about the fact that when we do get married and have kids, we'll prolly have to deal with telling them that we can't have a dog/cat, because Daddy's throat'll close up about an hour after we bring it home. I've never really gotten over not being able to have a dog/cat, basically, and it sucks.

My pet peeve is people I know and have confided this about bitching about their seasonal allergies. I know I should be respectful and supportive, but part of my brain wants me to scream "gently caress you, you get sniffles for a few mouths out of the year, and you can pop a pill to clear most of it up. I can't have something I've wanted since I was five because I will literally have to go to the hospital if I hug a dog that just wants to say hi. No, my inhaler doesn't solve it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Im very uncomfortable with automated greeting messages in drive-throughs. The whole concept seems very poorly thought out. First, a recorded message saying welcome to fuckburger or wherever seems very unwelcoming. No one is actually welcoming me, not even the lady in the recording studio when they commissioned the sound bite. Second, the message always asks whether I want to try a menu item but doesn't pause for an answer which would be very rude (if it were a real person I mean). And third, it always says please order when ready, but the guy actually taking my order might not be ready at all. Nine times out of ten the server has to chime in to say their own greeting or say hold on a minute so what was the purpose of the automated message in the first place?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Danger Mahoney posted:

Im very uncomfortable with automated greeting messages in drive-throughs. The whole concept seems very poorly thought out. First, a recorded message saying welcome to fuckburger or wherever seems very unwelcoming. No one is actually welcoming me, not even the lady in the recording studio when they commissioned the sound bite. Second, the message always asks whether I want to try a menu item but doesn't pause for an answer which would be very rude (if it were a real person I mean). And third, it always says please order when ready, but the guy actually taking my order might not be ready at all. Nine times out of ten the server has to chime in to say their own greeting or say hold on a minute so what was the purpose of the automated message in the first place?

Yes, this is the worst. Why not just tell your employees to ask about the promotional item?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I have a name that starts with C, but it can have a K. I sign all my work emails. I've known someone from a business club that I attended for years and years and he has yet to spell my name with a C :argh:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Writer Kath posted:

I have a name that starts with C, but it can have a K. I sign all my work emails. I've known someone from a business club that I attended for years and years and he has yet to spell my name with a C :argh:

Ugh, I hate people who get names wrong. No, I don't answer to that shortened form of my name, it's always been the name of dickheads I've known. I'm pretty sure you asked when we met and I said "no", did you somehow manage to mishear? :argh:

E: VVV :v:

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 03:17 on Jun 22, 2016

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Why you little-! :argh:

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
My first name can be spelled in two different ways. One of them is quite a bit more common than the other, but my version isn't ~speshul snowflake~ or anything. Think 'Anne' versus 'Ann'. I can't blame people for spelling it wrong when they've only just met me or haven't communicated via writing with me. Don't mind that at all.

What I absolutely loving do mind, though, is when I send someone an email, signed with my name, and then they respond with:

quote:

Hi WrongSpelling,

(email goes here)

You presumably looked at either my email alias, or my signature, or both, to figure out who the gently caress was sending this email to you. That means you literally looked at my name with your eyeballs three seconds before you started writing your email. Do you normally forget things that quickly, or is it extra special just for me? :argh:

e: Also, people who take it upon themselves to give me a cute nickname when we aren't friends. Particularly, older male coworkers. That's what my estranged father called me when I was a kid, I'd really rather not hear it coming from you.

God Over Djinn has a new favorite as of 03:29 on Jun 22, 2016

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Writer Cath posted:

I have the opposite problem, I'm and K and forever get C's. Even though my email address has my full name spelled out, I still get emails from people I talk to on the reg where it is spelled wrong.

:argh:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Writer Cath posted:

Oh my GOD this. My first name has a poo poo ton of variations, (It's derived from "Christian.") and I've been called every drat one of them under the sun. What kills me is people spelling it wrong in e-mail correspondence. My name, with correct spelling, is RIGHT there, c'mon! Either you're being willfully ignorant or lazy. Either way, it's disrespectful!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Peeve: every time this one comes up, everyone has to chime in and say "well MY name starts with a M but they always use a N!". It's like that moon moon stuff, people just can't seem to resist it.

e: also, the term "Brexit". It sounds more like something I can buy at a bakery or something. Do we really need a catchy hashtag to call something so potentially important?

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 17:27 on Jun 22, 2016

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
What the hell is a "brexit"?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Movement for Britain to exit the EU. There's also the equally dumb sounding Bremain.

E: Also I'm sorry for starting name chat again I just clding resist the joke with quoting Writer Cath. :(

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

genetic_knockout posted:

I have the opposite problem, I'm and K and forever get C's. Even though my email address has my full name spelled out, I still get emails from people I talk to on the reg where it is spelled wrong.

:argh:

My name is Janos (Phonetic is Yahnosh with a long "o"). I don't care if people mispronounce it. Feel free to say Janus, Janis, James, Yocknosh (my favorite), whatever you want. However, when I say my name to someone, just loving copy what I'm saying! They are simple phonemes that exist in English. 'Yah-nosh. Not hard. I don't care if no-one has ever heard my name. That's fine. But actively trying to mispronounce my name drives me crazy when they've just heard it.

If your name was Bob, would people saying "Baowoob" drive you crazy? Of course it would. Just goddamn try! I had a boss whose last name was Loungsourivong. That's a hard name and uses sounds that don't exist in English. Janos is easy.

To Hungarians, I apologize that I don't know how to use diacritical marks online. To be fair, my birth certificate has "Janos" spelled using Croatian marks with a "v" over the "s" as opposed to an accent over the "a". I have a complicated family...

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

It's what all the news networks have been talking about on the front page when there isn't anything juicy enough about Trump/Clinton to talk about.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mostlygray posted:

My name is Janos (Phonetic is Yahnosh with a long "o"). I don't care if people mispronounce it. Feel free to say Janus, Janis, James, Yocknosh (my favorite), whatever you want. However, when I say my name to someone, just loving copy what I'm saying! They are simple phonemes that exist in English. 'Yah-nosh. Not hard. I don't care if no-one has ever heard my name. That's fine. But actively trying to mispronounce my name drives me crazy when they've just heard it.

This annoys the poo poo out of me and it's not even about my own name. A friend of mine is named Briana, pronounced Bree-ah-na. We used to work together, and all the time I'd here exchanges like:

:downs: I'm having a problem with this.
:eng101: Oh, you should talk to Briana.
:downs: Oh, OK. Hey, Bree-anna, how do you fix this?

You literally just heard the name, why are you saying it wrong? :stare:

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Customers who are more interested in telling you how bad your service is than actually resolving their issue.

Long story short, a courier was failing to deliver to a customer because they weren't at home when delivery was attempted. Apparently the customer had taken it upon themselves to arrange with the courier to have the item left without a signature and this also wasn't happening (this would never happen with the couriers we use so I don't know how they got that idea).

Back and forth through the day it went:

:) - This is the only courier we can use. They are evidently not delivering to you without a signature. We cannot force them to do this. We have no other way of sending the item to you. You can continue waiting for the courier to deliver to you without a signature, but this is unlikely to happen. You can get the item delivered to an address where someone is present to sign for it. You can cancel the order and we will refund you. What do you want to do?

:argh: - Just get it delivered!!! This is the worst service ever!!!

:) - This is the only courier we can use. They are evidently not delivering to you without a signature. We cannot force them to do this. We have no other way of sending the item to you. You can continue waiting for the courier to deliver to you without a signature, but this is unlikely to happen. You can get the item delivered to an address where someone is present to sign for it. You can cancel the order and we will refund you. What do you want to do?

:argh: - This is ridiculous, why are you making it so complicated??? I just want the item delivered!

:) - This is the only courier we can use...

:argh: - It's your business, I'm the customer, YOU tell ME how you are going to solve it!!!!

:) - We have cancelled the order and refunded you.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tiggum posted:

This annoys the poo poo out of me and it's not even about my own name. A friend of mine is named Briana, pronounced Bree-ah-na. We used to work together, and all the time I'd here exchanges like:

I have a thing where my brain/mouth always defaults to the first version of that name I heard. For instance, I knew an Alana that was AH-LAH-NAH, but everyone I've met since has been AH-LAY-NA with the same spelling. Without fail, I say the first one, and am corrected every time.

Happens to me with spellings too. I know most people with the name spell it Stephanie, but I knew a Stefanie first so that's my default.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

I have a thing where my brain/mouth always defaults to the first version of that name I heard. For instance, I knew an Alana that was AH-LAH-NAH, but everyone I've met since has been AH-LAY-NA with the same spelling. Without fail, I say the first one, and am corrected every time.

Happens to me with spellings too. I know most people with the name spell it Stephanie, but I knew a Stefanie first so that's my default.

This is probably why half the people in my office pronounce my coworker Alicia's name like Alicia Silverstone, when it's really A-li-ci-a. She's given up on correcting people.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
The only way everyone will remember the unusual pronunciation of your conventionally-spelled name is to win an MVP from the NBA.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Tiggum posted:

I have a coworker named Aylin (I think it's Turkish), and despite correcting people constantly (it's pronounced like Eileen), she gets people calling her AYE-lynn all the time. I've even mentioned it to people who ask me, and they still get it wrong. Another coworker, Susie, constantly has people misspelling her name as Suzie, and it really bugs her, especially when it's our boss, who I'm pretty sure is doing it to be passive-aggressive because he's been asked to correct it multiple times.

Another peeve of mine: dudes who poke or tickle women. Like, if it's not appropriate to hug me or put your hand on my leg or whatever, why are you trying to grope me? It's obvious that these dudes are just copping a feel but know it would be too gross to grab a handful and squeeze. It's usually older men who do it--my uncles did it when I was little and it made me profoundly uncomfortable and the memory of it is making me cringe right now. I hate being tickled. Does ANYONE like it? Why do people do it, except to cop a feel that the recipient is going to feel like an rear end in a top hat if she objects to?

I'm genuinely curious about the motivations of people who do this. If you tickle people, or poke them, why? I'm not talking about a parent making your kids giggle. I'm talking about doing this to adults of the opposite sex.

Creepy old men aside, my date last night came up to me in the bar and poked me in the side. This was our fourth date. We've made out already. You don't need to "flirt" with me, you can give me a hug.

I've stopped caring if I'm going to hurt an old man's feelings or look like a bitch. I've started slapping hands away and saying "STOP that." It works, but drat if it doesn't make me feel like an rear end in a top hat.

Maggie Fletcher has a new favorite as of 19:04 on Jun 22, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Creepy old men aside, my date last night came up to me in the bar and poked me in the side. This was our fourth date. We've made out already. You don't need to "flirt" with me, you can give me a hug.

This just sounds like it was a cute way to get your attention? :shrug: Like, a more intimate way of tapping you on the shoulder.

I agree with all of the tickling stuff, that's gross, and the dudes who are doing it are trying to flirt with you.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Tiggum posted:

They're probably not ignoring it, there are just some dialects/accents where ah-na and anna come out sounding basically the same when speaking at a normal pace.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Another peeve of mine: dudes who poke or tickle women. Like, if it's not appropriate to hug me or put your hand on my leg or whatever, why are you trying to grope me? It's obvious that these dudes are just copping a feel but know it would be too gross to grab a handful and squeeze. It's usually older men who do it--my uncles did it when I was little and it made me profoundly uncomfortable and the memory of it is making me cringe right now. I hate being tickled. Does ANYONE like it? Why do people do it, except to cop a feel that the recipient is going to feel like an rear end in a top hat if she objects to?

Your reasons for hating it are perfectly valid, and I suppose if someone isn't close enough to you to know that you don't like it, they have no business touching you.

quote:

I'm genuinely curious about the motivations of people who do this. If you tickle people, or poke them, why? I'm not talking about a parent making your kids giggle. I'm talking about doing this to adults of the opposite sex.

I've never tickled anyone, but I've poked guys I had crushes on/dated. The truth is that I am completely incompetent at "normal" physical affection (hugs, kisses, hair-ruffling, etc.) and it doesn't come naturally to me.

quote:

This is a thing I would do. I promise I'm not a creepy old man :smith:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I find poking annoying. It's just a very low-effort way to get someone's attention and it's usually not a pleasant feeling. When I get poked my initial reaction is hostility until I turn around and realize someone I liked did it, but it's still pretty annoying. Just do something less aggressive like putting your hand on their shoulder, or I don't know, using your words.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Someone walks into a room and just starts talking out loud what they're going to do.
"I guess I'm going to start painting"
"I'm going to eat some salad!"

Especially if it implies they want something.
"Coffee sounds good." ;)
"Brrrr it's kinda cold in here";)
JUST ASK. Loud manipulative passive people are the worst, they try to manipulate you without fear of rejection. You can't even call them out because then you're the bad guy.

darkhand has a new favorite as of 20:33 on Jun 22, 2016

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

darkhand posted:

Someone walks into a room and just starts talking out loud what they're going to do.
"I guess I'm going to start painting"
"I'm going to eat some salad!"

Especially if it implies they want something.
"Coffee sounds good." ;)
"Brrrr it's kinda cold in here";)
JUST ASK. Loud manipulative passive people are the worst, they try to manipulate you without fear of rejection. You can't even call them out because then you're the bad guy.

When I'm hosting at work, I get this a lot. I don't mind the people who say "I'm just going to the bar" because that's actually useful information for me, although obvious from them walking towards the bar.

But people passing me for the bathroom tell me they're going to the bathroom. People going to take a call in the courtyard tell me they're taking a call. "I'll be right back" says someone striding out the door. I don't care? I'm not stamping your hand at a dance club, this is a restaurant. You can come and go on a whim.

Also, one from yesterday. People who think that because you work at a business, you know every aspect of that business. I got a call from some vendor, and I'm like "OK" and do the usual message taking thing. Well, they say their call is expected, don't I recognize their name, their company provides all our X..." Well, seeing as I'm not in charge of kitchen procurement, no, the only time I learn this information is when some rear end in a top hat vendor calls the front desk instead of, say, the number on the business card they were given.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

YeahTubaMike posted:

I think it's a laxative.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

BioEnchanted posted:

I hate people who argue on bad faith, with dumb arguments. There was a guy tonight street-preaching about why we should vote to leave the EU (UK User over here), using the reasoning that "we fought 2 wars with the Germans so why work together now?" The last war with them ended 72 years ago. We've been over it for decades. Even he may not have been born when that war happened,. if he was he would have been ~10. How the gently caress is that wound still fresh for him? There are apparently lots of actual reasons for leaving the EU as well, involving tax hikes and more recent war clusterfucks that I don't know enough about to reach an opinion on, so he is deliberately sabotaging his argument by balancing it on weak foundations.,

How many wars have the English and Scots fought? Against one another, I mean.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Brawnfire posted:

But people passing me for the bathroom tell me they're going to the bathroom. People going to take a call in the courtyard tell me they're taking a call. "I'll be right back" says someone striding out the door. I don't care? I'm not stamping your hand at a dance club, this is a restaurant. You can come and go on a whim.

I have many restaurant peeves.

- :downs: "Can I have a booth?" asked by single people who want to take up six-top booths for no reason. You can have a booth if you come in with some friends next time, if you have any.
- People who don't tell me where they're going and then get mad at me because no one came to see them. Why do you think I am standing at that fancy desk at the front? Our restaurant is enormous. It can seat upwards to 400 people and there's entire separate rooms in there. If you go into the back, you could reasonably live there for upwards to a week without anyone noticing.
- Whenever we get minor celebrities and everyone gets a loving aneurysm. I get the excitement or whatever, but I feel like going above and beyond for celebrities is a) insulting to regular customers (especially if I am commanded to ignore them in order to help said minor celebrities who can't even be arsed to show up on time) and b) suggests that they don't end up here by accident. It's in a hotel, they came here because they didn't have to go outside in order to get a martini, so calm down.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

cash crab posted:

I get the excitement or whatever, but I feel like going above and beyond for celebrities is a) insulting to regular customers (especially if I am commanded to ignore them in order to help said minor celebrities who can't even be arsed to show up on time) and b) suggests that they don't end up here by accident.

Probably has something to do with the possibility that they might mention the place on social media, where lots of potential customers could see. If they were happy with the experience, that's free advertising. If they were unhappy, that's bad for business.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I'm genuinely curious about the motivations of people who do this. If you tickle people, or poke them, why?

That's how boys flirted with me when we were like 13-15. I can imagine guys who are socially awkward continuing to use it into adulthood. If it's an old dude doing it to a much younger girl/woman, though, that's obviously creepy as gently caress.

I guess, now that I think about it, it's a pretty common thing among nerds too... poking/tickling friends to get their attention, or just as a form of physical affection. So I guess the answer to "why" is, they're weirdos who don't know how to interact with people normally.

Similarly, I loving hate when (usually much older) guys act physically affectionate with me without asking, when we're clearly not close enough for it to be ok. Like, putting their hand on my shoulder or lower back. But if I say anything about it I'm a bitch because "he's just being nice/friendly" :downs: and "it's not like he means anything by it, he's old enough to be your dad!" as if that doesn't just make it way loving creepier.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's been bothering me for years that Google keeps removing services and features that I used and keeping the ones I have no use for. Google voice? Nah scrap that, we want to really push hangouts. Start page with widgets? gently caress you, we want to push our almost-worthless evernote clone.

The one that still needles at me all the time is a couple years ago when they removed google discussions search. It was bar-none the best way to find information on products and services. You could search for "best new X" and find instantly what people were actually talking about and their experiences with different X products. Now that discussion search is off the table, you end up with a page a a half of shops selling what you are searching for and lovely aggregation sites. I mean I get WHY they got rid of it since there are fewer ways to monetize random phpbb boards and it's much harder to control content displayed when it's just a bunch of people talking, but it still sucks.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Movie trailers and posters that don't bother to tell you what the hell the movie is.

I'm looking at you, Neon Demon. No, don't just list the folks who made it, that's a second-tier thing. The first is giving me some reason to see it.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:

mostlygray posted:

My name is Janos

I'm going to assume you were named after Janosik, which is pretty bad rear end.

Here's one- hiccups. When I get hiccups they are annoying, sometimes painful, and can last upwards of an hour, and there is absolutely no way to stop them. Seriously this is the worst autonomic function I can think of

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Related - hiccup "cures". Anyone about to chime in about how oh no you can totally cure them just hold your breath and swallow while scaring a glass of water can save their breath because none of that poo poo works consistently.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

AlphaKretin posted:

Related - hiccup "cures". Anyone about to chime in about how oh no you can totally cure them just hold your breath and swallow while scaring a glass of water can save their breath because none of that poo poo works consistently.

Real talk? Tickle yo butthole

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/09/04/3582324.htm

Dr. Fesmire posted:

Dr Fesmire decided that if this unconventional treatment (digital rectal massage) worked for the heart, it might work for hiccups.

As Dr Fesmire writes, "Digital rectal massage was then attempted using a slow circumferential motion. The frequency of hiccups immediately began to slow, with a termination of all hiccups within 30 seconds. There was no recurrence of hiccups during the next 30 minutes and the patient was discharged without further work up".

:yosbutt::zoid:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Who in the gently caress puts trash on the counter by the empty trash can but not actually in it

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

AlphaKretin posted:

I imitate a hiccup in between the real hiccups and it stops me hiccupping. Totally works!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
People who turn a 1 minute task into a 1 hour one.

Example: getting ready to leave work (about 45 mins away from getting back to base) and a new order pops on my queue. I tell my dispatcher I can't get it, I am leaving, pass it on to the next guy to log in. She....tells me to reschedule it for a later pickup. I say we can't do that, that isn't an option in my scanner. She insists. I refuse. I finally try when she won't answer my calls, and surprise, it doesn't work. I finally get through to her again and explain it. She refuses again to spend the 60 seconds to remove it from my route and give it to another person, and tells me to just cancel the order, the customer will have to submit it again. I blow my stack finally and scream at her to give someone else the loving order because surprise, I am standing next to three other drivers who have nothing on their routes and six hours on the shift left to go. She finally removes it from my route. An hour after I told her to. Because she wants me and the other drivers to "be more independent with our routework."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Why do I always wake up right before the best part of a dream? Why?

Last night I had this enormous dream that culminated in me standing on a riverbank where Heaven was on the other side. In the dream, I stepped forward to enter the river, and IRL I was lying on my side and rolled forward with the same motion as in my dream, and of course I woke up. :arghfist:

Heaven looked so cool, too -- like Iceland or the Scottish Highlands, very remote and wild rocky terrain covered with vibrant green plant life.