Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Patter Song posted:

I don't like trying to shove them into continuity with each other like that, though. I like the idea that Turn A is telling its own story that references the other stories but isn't part of them.

It doesn't help that apparently during a livestream for G-Reco, Tomino implied that Turn A takes place 500 years after UC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

It doesn't help that apparently during a livestream for G-Reco, Tomino implied that Turn A takes place 500 years after UC.

A really stupid statement given that Turn A's start date is given as the year CC (Correct Century) 2345.

Waffleman, how much of the UC stuff had you seen before?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Really, my experience with Gundam is not liking Gundam Wing very much on Toonami and having a couple episodes of 00 on in the background while waiting for Gurren Lagann to come on Scifi. Although I do have some knowledge through pop culture osmosis.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

Really, my experience with Gundam is not liking Gundam Wing very much on Toonami and having a couple episodes of 00 on in the background while waiting for Gurren Lagann to come on Scifi. Although I do have some knowledge through pop culture osmosis.

In that case you're probably well aware of why Gundam series have their spinoff alternate universes: the sheer amount of content, all of which is heavily interconnected, in the UC can be loving terrifying to dive into.

All these years later and I still haven't seen Victory Gundam, for example, and I consider myself a big UC fan and have made a conscious effort to see even some of the less beloved series (and I will say right now that I feel that Gundam ZZ is unfairly maligned...I liked that one!). I had to go out of my way to see Gundam F91, a 2 hour movie that felt like it was 20 hours, and not in a good way. (Gundam F91 is the one with the bad guy who wears a Darth Vader parody costume who wants to wipe out all of humanity because he's sad that his wife died)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Don't tell me this, I'm liking IBO! :(

The middle has some of the best parts of IBO, actually. The ending is also completely fine. You should keep watching because it's very good throughout.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I should get back on IBO one of these days, but... :sigh:

Goddamn space harem.

They play that up for like 2, 3 episodes max. From then on its really just the main lady with the hot Blooded girl calling him lover or something.

On earth now and while there's the usual slowdown that brings, I like all the bits with the Martians interacting with Earth culture. Definitely better than a salt episode.

The episode where they get to Earth was one of my favourites yet. Two ships! :black101:

Re: Seed and Destiny discussion earlier.
I feel like Seed hits the checklists for a good gundam, but doesn't hit all the items well. So in addition to Destiny making GBS threads the bed, anyone who explored the rest of Gundam probably realized how okay/mediocre(depending on personal opinion) the series is in comparison.
It's also a blatant rip of 0079, not just a retelling. Sure it adds things, then immediately gets rid of them. Lol reactive armor

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Patter Song posted:

(I still can't believe that G-SAVIOUR exists. I've never watched it, I don't know anyone who has watched it, but everything I've heard about it is mind-bogglingly stupid)

I've seen it and it sucks. The best thing about it is the number of voice talents who were in other Gundam series that appear in it. Lady Une's voice actor is dreamy!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"It's a Gundam, eh?"

"This is no Zaku, ya hoser. No Zaku."

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

If I remember right they never utter the word Gundam in G-Savior. When the suit is finally revealed the main guy simply says, "Is that what I think it is?"

It stood out to me because I was watching Wing at the time and anytime someone said Gundam they died in screaming ball of death.

Azubah fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 22, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Ya hit me, buddy! My dad didn't even hit me!"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Azubah posted:

If I remember right they never utter the word Gundam in G-Savior. When the suit is finally revealed the main guy simply says, "Is that what I think it is?"

It stood out to me because I was watching Wing at the time and anytime someone said Gundam they died in screaming ball of death.

Nope, they never say the word. Curious for a feature film that was to celebrate the anniversary of 0079!

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

The GIG posted:

Finished the Federation story in Crossfire and I am baffled at how they managed to gently caress up the other three "big" battles in the game but made the last one surprisingly alright. Like every other one is just "Survive some waves I guess, whatever" but the last mission is actually a multi stage affair, plus they actually went to the trouble of having a bunch of Zaku Is with Magellan Cannons running around alongside Gelgoogs and Kanfers so it actually felt like it was Zeon's last stand on Earth, and they were going to try everything to stop you. It's a real shame it seems like the last missions are the only ones like this, Jaburo and Odessa are only mentioned in textboxes and the attempts at boss battles are lame as hell (shout out to the Apsalus II boss fight that consists entirely of it running around in circles never actually shooting). From the Fed story alone the game feels like a two and a half out of five at the best of times, and I honestly enjoyed unlocking the Ez8 and mowing down suits with the Shiro Special, though from what I've read the Zeon campaign it way worse since all their early to mid game suits are warmed over rear end compared to the Fed side.

Yeah, Zeon side is pretty much only challenging up until about when you unlock the Kampfer because it has head vulcans. It was an alright game, but I really wish it was designed more like Lost War Chronicles, which was just Journey to Jaburo but better. You should find a way to play LWC if you can.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I think coming into it with the idea that I was spending the equivalent of a fast food dollar menu meal getting a game that has been in bargin bins for nearly ten years for a good reason really helped ease my perception of the game. It is still a bad game, but I can see areas where someone was trying, they just weren't given enough. They got handed a enough money and time to make nice models of mobile suits and not much else and had to get it out in the launch window, and it absolutely shows, but you get a few things like that last mission and I just kinda wonder how nice it would have been if this game was given an extra six months or so. It wouldn't fix the bad controls or how hilariously imbalanced the two sides are, but some extra structure would have made this game at least good at times.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

IBO isn't perfect and the middle bit meanders around in space a bit but it's good.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

IBO isn't perfect and the middle bit meanders around in space a bit but it's good.

I just finished it after marathoning it. The space pirates feel like they exist to give them another gundam frame. And the brother feels tacked on on top of that

I think the beginning owns, and the ending is pretty good, with some of the coolest battles I've seen being towards the end.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I listened to Raise Your Flag for about half an hour tonight and I may have a problem.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Waffleman_ posted:

I listened to Raise Your Flag for about half an hour tonight and I may have a problem.

I have the same problem with the Stardust Memories/Gundam Wing opening music.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

I have the same problem with the Stardust Memories/Gundam Wing opening music.

I got the Gundam X closing song stuck in my head and it isn't even very good. Halfway through the show they switched from singing it in English to singing it in Japanese and I understood roughly the same amount of it because the accent on the English version was so thick.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nasgate posted:

I just finished it after marathoning it. The space pirates feel like they exist to give them another gundam frame. And the brother feels tacked on on top of that

I think the beginning owns, and the ending is pretty good, with some of the coolest battles I've seen being towards the end.

The space pirates were a what-if for Tekkadan, a worst-case scenario just like the Turbines' best-case. The Brewers were what would have happened if they'd never overthrown their bosses/owners, letting them use their power for themselves. Despite the lolevil villains, it has some pretty meaty thematic stuff in it, including a pretty important insight into Mika's character - he's wearing a mask and being propelled by others' expectations just as much as Orga is, and just has the personality to carry it off better most of the time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Wait what?

Well, that is weird.

Apparently it was because will smith was too busy filming for suicide squad and id couldn't delay anymore cause they really need that july release.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Gundam Crossfire is an excellent explanation of how Zeon started losing because I am only 3 missions in to their side and my rear end is getting ruined by distant guncannons and GM's circle strafing the gently caress out of me.

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
Thanks for the replies and advice. Thought I'd share a picture with you of the gunpla fair that's going on here in the event someone might get a kick out of it:

Behind the cashier booth not pictured here there's a lot of the games and dvds as well as a lot of clothing made here that was pretty interesting. Stuff like flight jackets with characters and factions insignias on them that looked quite well done.

I'm still digging Gundam Seed quite a bit. I should clarify this series is something I'm watching while I'm doing 40 minutes daily of minor physio therapy for a back injury. I do plan to watch the original series but because of the iconic nature of it I thought it was something that deserved undivided attention and wanted something I could get into a bit more casually. Seed seems pretty perfect for me in that sense to watch while stretching and such.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

There's actually been quite a bit of chat about Seed in the past dozen or so pages, but you'll generally find the opinions that it's sort of middle-of-the-road as shows go and there's some fans of the show's style of drama who post here, but visually it hasn't aged well at all and it suffers from association with Seed Destiny, which was such a high profile mess that it's retroactively soured a lot of people's opinions of Seed, fairly or otherwise.

Sorry I missed the earlier discussion, I did try to read back several pages from before my first post but there was a lot of discussion about Turn A and I was scared of getting spoilers. Seed Destiny seems to be universally disliked, so I'm going to definitely skip it.

Patter Song posted:

Hi. If you're trying to ease into Gundam, I'd highly recommend some of the shorter series as tastes. Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket (six episodes) and Gundam 08th MS Team (thirteen episodes) are both older shows (0080 came out in 1990 and 08th MS Team in 1994, IIRC) and they're both in continuity with the original Gundam timeline (the UC) and, in fact, occurring simultaneously during the events of the original series itself, but you don't really need to know much about the original series to get them. (The Earth Federation, based on Earth, is at war with the Principality of Zeon, based in space, which has occupied much of Earth and the other space colonies, and the Earth Federation is on the verge of a long and arduous counteroffensive...and that's all you really need to know about the original series to get these miniseries.)

I personally feel 08th MS Team is the best Gundam content per hour deal in the franchise. It's only a quarter as long as the more traditional shows, and it's somewhat more grounded than the other series. The Gundams are just elite mecha rather than god-tier weapons of mass destruction and it borrows a lot of the aesthetics from Vietnam War movies.

I was planning on watching War in the Pocket next based on what I read in the OP and you're recommendation reinforces that. 08th MS Team wasn't something I'd heard anything about and from your description sounds like something I'd really get into, so I'll check it out right after War In the Pocket. I expect this will be something I appreciate quite a bit, Thanks again!

Pureauthor posted:

That said, are you watching the original version or the HD remaster? The HD remaster has some changes that a lot of people think made the show worse to watch.

I'm watching the remaster... had no idea there were changes beyond coloring/mastering. So did they actually alter the narrative?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sooper Gila posted:

I'm watching the remaster... had no idea there were changes beyond coloring/mastering. So did they actually alter the narrative?

Whereabouts are you up to? There's one big bit that's made embarrassing in the HD remaster.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There's one change that's comparable to making Greedo shoot first, so to speak. Except dumber.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Greedo Slipped And Made Han's Gun Go Off

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Greedo was only 15! He loved to play the piano!

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Finished Zeon side in Crossfire and I have a new found love of the Gelgoog because after dealing with 3 hours of everything being super fragile with a chance of upgrading to a good gun later, being able to two shot everything with a beam rifle and also take multiple hits without dying is a godsend.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Srice posted:

There's one change that's comparable to making Greedo shoot first, so to speak. Except dumber.

Would that be a particular pilot exploding and his head cherry popping inside his helmet moments before his suit blows up?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Would that be a particular pilot exploding and his head cherry popping inside his helmet moments before his suit blows up?

I forget the exact gory details of the death but it's the change from Kira cutting a guy with his sword out of self defense, to Kira holding his sword in a defensive stance and the guy runs into it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I have a lot of problems with the original scene, like why Kira was crying over a death of a guy he never met, but the remake just turned it into an absurd new level. At least in the original, Kira hada very human reaction of hitting someone who was charging at him. However, it has been decreed that Kira may never kill a relatively good person!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Monaghan posted:

I have a lot of problems with the original scene, like why Kira was crying over a death of a guy he never met, but the remake just turned it into an absurd new level. At least in the original, Kira hada very human reaction of hitting someone who was charging at him. However, it has been decreed that Kira may never kill a relatively good person!

Waltfeld's wife.

Never forget.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

Waltfeld's wife.

Never forget.
The show did forget about her, however.

Hell, I don't think even Astray showed Aisha's corpse in the LaGOWE's wreckage, just DaCosta extracting Andy's battered body (and trying to stop Lowe and company from touching the wreckage).

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

AradoBalanga posted:

The show did forget about her, however.

Hell, I don't think even Astray showed Aisha's corpse in the LaGOWE's wreckage, just DaCosta extracting Andy's battered body (and trying to stop Lowe and company from touching the wreckage).

I never read all of astray but I like the idea of Lowe being like a vulture to the archangel and just picking up stuff from all the suits Kira and co blow up.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Monaghan posted:

I never read all of astray but I like the idea of Lowe being like a vulture to the archangel and just picking up stuff from all the suits Kira and co blow up.
And yet, Lowe doesn't salvage anything from the Aegis and just leaves it there to be junked by ORB.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

And yet, Lowe doesn't salvage anything from the Aegis and just leaves it there to be junked by ORB.

The Aegis shield is recovered at least!

I assume they cleaned the guts off it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i'm secretly kind of glad mech series don't, in general, go over how brutal they would be on pilots in melee combat.

I remember the time Renton stomped some dudes in Eureka 7 being super gross

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The Aegis shield is recovered at least!

I assume they cleaned the guts off it.
I sure hope so, because if they didn't, I'm positive that'd negatively affect the resale value.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

muike posted:

i'm secretly kind of glad mech series don't, in general, go over how brutal they would be on pilots in melee combat.

I remember the time Renton stomped some dudes in Eureka 7 being super gross

I thought it was great in Mazinkaiser SKL when the Mazinkaiser just stomps some random thug into a fine paste.

But it just fit the tone of the show really well I suppose.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hello Gundam thread!

It is time for me to start a new series.

Do I:

A. Start watching Unicorn from the start (I tried years ago when it was coming out and I just forgot to keep up with it after the fourth of the episodes...danger of releasing them six months apart).

B. Watch Victory Gundam, the last of the classic era Gundam series I've never watched.

C. Watch something more modern that I've never watched...considering starting 00.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Patter Song posted:

Hello Gundam thread!

It is time for me to start a new series.

Do I:

A. Start watching Unicorn from the start (I tried years ago when it was coming out and I just forgot to keep up with it after the fourth of the episodes...danger of releasing them six months apart).

B. Watch Victory Gundam, the last of the classic era Gundam series I've never watched.

C. Watch something more modern that I've never watched...considering starting 00.

If those are your only three choices then I would suggest A then B.