Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Centripetal Horse posted:

how liberals ruined everything,

Can't hate the guy that that :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bhodi posted:

Careful with statements like this because it means the complete opposite if it's not inflation adjusted dollars.

Literally just quoting what the article said:

Btw Allrecipes.com Magazine is pretty GWM at $5/yr. Good recipes that cost reasonable amounts of money to make!!

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

I save $5 a year by looking up the same recipes online :smug:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Senf posted:

I save $5 a year by looking up the same recipes online :smug:

You're missing out bro

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

love to spread up to a tablespoon of butter over an ear of corn for $2

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

$14 circumcision device. What a value.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

In real news. BBC good food is an awesome site.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
How the hell are people eating for less than $10 a day?! Is that no prepared food, like 50g protein a day??!?!

Edit: Yeah, I know people can do the rice/beans/legumes but that's no fun and the $279 was represented as the average.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 21, 2016

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
It's kinda interesting that family of 2 is apparently the least efficient as far as per person food cost goes.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Yeah crazy how kids eat less than adults poo poo is Blowing My Mind rn.

Edit: I realize you may be referring to singles averaging less and that's likely sad, lonely losers subsiding on ramen and beans dragging down the average.

Zo fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 21, 2016

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
And having two people around means more pressure to eat real food instead of bachelor chow. Easy for a single person to eat cheap when they can have more empty calories without shame.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
What the hell do you guys buy? My grocery budget for 2 is $300 a month and I buy anything I want from Trader Joes including all the different cheeses, frozen foods, etc. I guess it's because we mostly cook from scratch and don't tend to use expensive ingredients (like mostly poultry for meat due to IBS)? No alcohol or eating out included in that, but we eat out maybe once a week. Probably also depends how you shop. I'm pretty cost conscience when I grocery shop and don't just buy everything without looking at prices.

Bad with food money story: A while back my ex and I had moved into her grandparents house to save some cash. They had grown up poor and pretty much horded food. They had a full size refridgerator in the house fully stocked, a fully size fridge in the garage, fully stocked, a giant stand up freezer bigger than the fridges fully stocked, and a huge pantry in the kitchen and the garage that was full. All food mind you other than some 2 liters in the pantry. We ended up throwing over half the food out because it would have expiration dates over 7 YEARS. If we couldn't find or read an expiration date we threw it out. Within 2 months everything was completely full again. Grandma also fell for the dude selling meat out of a van.

On the opposite spectrum, when I was a little kid I remember staying at my grandfathers and him making breakfast in the morning. He served me a muffin that had mold on it. I told him there was mold and I didn't want it, so he cut the mold off and handed me back the muffin. He grew up during the Great Depression. He also never tipped at restaurants. But he retired at 50 with a paid off house and built himself a workshop and yacht in his back yard among his other hobbies.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 21, 2016

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Dustoph posted:

Grandma also fell for the dude selling meat out of a van.

My mother did that once too. She thought he was cute and wanted a date. $200 1994 dollars later, we had 7 boxes of meat and she had no date. Seeing as she grocery shopped maybe once every 2 months, this was probably not a horrible purchase.

I'd say groceries/toiletries/cleaning stuff combined for the two of us is $400 a month. I do blow way too much money eating out, though. Probably $300 a month (near daily lunches for me, a couple of nice-ish meals out). I count the meals out as discretionary. We buy most of our basic toiletries in bulk at Costco (paper towels, TP, deo, shaving cream, detergent)...so we don't buy often, but spend a whack when we do.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blinkman987 posted:

How the hell are people eating for less than $10 a day?! Is that no prepared food, like 50g protein a day??!?!

Edit: Yeah, I know people can do the rice/beans/legumes but that's no fun and the $279 was represented as the average.

Lots of fruit and veggies, potatoes, rice, beans, pasta, and chicken. Mix in some beef and pork and you have a ton of different meals just right there. Also cans of tuna, jars of pasta sauce, and pancake mix. Frozen bags of stir fry veggies.

There ya go! One month worth of food for like $100. For one person I guess.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Hmmm guys I don't get what cosigning means

http://money.stackexchange.com/questions/66311/i-cosigned-for-a-friend-who-is-not-paying-the-payment

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Blinkman987 posted:

Make bulk food like stews and roasts, or buy large packages of chicken breasts. Or a pulled pork. Pork shoulder is stupid cheap.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yeah. At least one pork shoulder a month. Enough dinners for a week if you get creative. Or if you don't.

Pulled pork nachos
Pulled pork chili
Pulled pork fried rice
Pulled pork sandwiches

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
For healthy lunches, green smoothies are the bomb. Spinach/kale, bananas, frozen berries, OJ, greek yogurt. Add a peanut butter sandwich to go along with that, you're still looking at under $30/week for two people.

Always tell the meat truck guy you're vegetarian.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fantastic. Co-signing a loan for a friend is the funniest poo poo.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
That reminds me of a BWM story with my coworker. He cosigned a PRIVATE EDUCATION loan for his nephew for 20k @ 18% apr!!! I told him to pay off the loan immediately and just collect payment from the nephew rather than paying that kind of interest. Unfortunately despite making over 250k per year, he says he can't afford it.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Getting an idiot to co-sign the loan on your car and then moving away and not making payments is GWM.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

lostleaf posted:

That reminds me of a BWM story with my coworker. He cosigned a PRIVATE EDUCATION loan for his nephew for 20k @ 18% apr!!! I told him to pay off the loan immediately and just collect payment from the nephew rather than paying that kind of interest. Unfortunately despite making over 250k per year, he says he can't afford it.

HELOC

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Guinness posted:

Could be that when you have a partner or kids you are embarrassed by your bachelor lifestyle of subsisting on frozen pizza and Mac & Cheese and have to buy real food which costs more. :iiam:

Frozen pizza is not even that cheap, it's only cheap when compared to other things that don't involve cooking or much nutritional value.

I think it's interesting that often when people name cheap foods they're actually naming bottom-barrel prepared food. Cooking from scratch is cheap.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
To be fair, a lot of bottom-barrel prepared food is heavy on refined grains(which are cheap), whereas cooking from scratch tends to involve more meats(which are expensive) and vegetables(which are cheap but usually not as cheap as grains).

But eating foods with actual nutritional value reduces health care costs in the long run, and you're still saving money by not paying for convenience, so it all balances out. :v:

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

Trillian posted:

Frozen pizza is not even that cheap, it's only cheap when compared to other things that don't involve cooking or much nutritional value.

I think it's interesting that often when people name cheap foods they're actually naming bottom-barrel prepared food. Cooking from scratch is cheap.

True. Just for a thought exercise, I'm looking up how much it would cost to make a pizza from scratch and compare that to your standard frozen pizza. Digiorno is my poo poo-tier pizza of choice, and it's pretty well known, so I'm using that as my comparison.

Flour, 5 lb. bag - $2.5
Sugar, 2 lb. bag - $2
Dry yeast (dunno, couldn't find a price online. Let's say $3 for a bulk box.)
Kosher salt (see above. Let's say $2)
Olive oil, 17 oz. bottle- $5
Tomato paste, two 8 oz. cans - $1
Crushed tomatoes, two 28 oz. cans - $3
Mozzarella cheese, 8 oz. bag - $3

That's pretty much a basic-rear end pizza, minus some spices for the sauce. Add that together, and you get about $20. A Digiorno pie goes for $5 each when it's on sale, as much as $8 otherwise.

If that doesn't seem like an impressive savings, keep in mind that a LOT of what's listed above are staple ingredients that are used in a ton of recipes.

TwoSheds fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 21, 2016

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Haifisch posted:

To be fair, a lot of bottom-barrel prepared food is heavy on refined grains(which are cheap), whereas cooking from scratch tends to involve more meats(which are expensive) and vegetables(which are cheap but usually not as cheap as grains).

But eating foods with actual nutritional value reduces health care costs in the long run, and you're still saving money by not paying for convenience, so it all balances out. :v:

Only if you choose to cook those things. You can just make pizza dough and macaroni if you really want to min/max your bills.

TwoSheds posted:

True. Just for a thought exercise, I'm looking up how much it would cost to make a pizza from scratch and compare that to your standard frozen pizza. Digiorno is my poo poo-tier pizza of choice, and it's pretty well known, so I'm using that as my comparison.

Flour, 5 lb. bag - $2.5
Sugar, 2 lb. bag - $2

That's pretty much a basic-rear end pizza, minus some spices for the sauce. Add that together, and you get about $20. A Digiorno pie goes for $5 each when it's on sale, as much as $8 otherwise.

If that doesn't seem like an impressive savings, keep in mind that a LOT of what's listed above are staple ingredients that are used in a ton of recipes.

This doesn't work, though, because you would need to break out how much of the ingredients you're using. 5 lbs of flour is like 10 pizzas.

Here, some internet person did the math on her recipe and decided she's spending $1.62 per pizza.

Trillian fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 22, 2016

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
a lot of it tastes better, and the ingredients are good for more than one batch.. pizza maybe not, but if you are obsessed with eating actually good food is still way cheaper than eating out.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

TwoSheds posted:

Flour, 5 lb. bag - $2.5
Sugar, 2 lb. bag - $2

When I was single and in grad school I would wait until Tombstone pizzas went on sale for $2/ea and stock up.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Trillian posted:

This doesn't work, though, because you would need to break out how much of the ingredients you're using. 5 lbs of flour is like 10 pizzas.

Here, some internet person did the math on her recipe and decided she's spending $1.62 per pizza.

I think he was speaking in favor of making them at home, as he mentioned that the ingredients are also good for other things. Also, it's cheap to make pizza at home, but $1.62 is a pipe dream unless you're some sort of shopping savant, or making tiny pizzas with nothing on them but spinach.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

most of these comparisons don't take into account the time and energy costs of cooking from scratch rather than frozen/convenience. or the difficulty of getting ingredients if you're limited by geography/transport/EBT/etc.

gwm: live next door to a supermarket

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

gwm: live next door to a supermarket

Take the shopping cart home with you: free downhill buggy!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Make the Bread, Buy the Butter: What You Should and Shouldn't Cook from Scratch

I found this cookbook to be a pretty good for cost analysis on cooking. The recipes are solid and simple too.

Also, once every 3 months I just make a huge batch of pizza dough and freeze it in portioned sizes. If I want pizza I just move a portion to the fridge the night before. I think 1/3 a bag of flour got me like 12 pizzas and you can top them as extravagantly or simply as you feel like.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 22, 2016

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

El Mero Mero posted:

Make the Bread, Buy the Butter: What You Should and Shouldn't Cook from Scratch

I found this cookbook to be a pretty good for cost analysis on cooking. The recipes are solid and simple too.

Also, once every 3 months I just make a huge batch of pizza dough and freeze it in portioned sizes. If I want pizza I just move a portion to the fridge the night before. I think 1/3 a bag of flour got me like 12 pizzas and you can top them as extravagantly or simply as you feel like.
Buy staples in bulk and then use them in volume to cook portions that can be stored and used over time? :monocle:

I bake two dozen muffins a week and use two day for breakfast while the rest sit in the fridge. I also make two weeks worth of soup or chili and one weeks worth of peach/berry/etc oatmeal for lunches. We'll also often make a large batch of enchiladas, cook a roast or bake some chickens depending what's on sale for dinners. A huge tray of scalloped potatoes, mashed potatoes or whatever can be made for a couple dollars.

Not spending a poo poo ton on a food budget just requires planning and some prep work on a day off. Major reason why people blow their food budget is because they are tired and hungry and don't have the mental energy to figure out food so they just hit up fast food or prepared meals from the grocery store.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 22, 2016

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

cowofwar posted:

Not spending a poo poo ton on a food budget just requires planning and some prep work on a day off. Major reason why people blow their food budget is because they are tired and hungry and don't have the mental energy to figure out food so they just hit up fast food or prepared meals from the grocery store.

Exactly, and the poorer you are, the more likely you don't have a day off, let alone the time and mental energy leftover after working 60+ hour weeks at your two not-quite-full-time-because-otherwise-we'd-have-to-give-you-benefits jobs for minimum wage. And that's also assuming you don't live in a food desert, which a lot of poorer folk unfortunately do. And you might not be able to afford to buy a bunch of bulk stuff up front, even if it would save you money in the long run. It's a complicated problem that is not as easy as "hurr durr just make food yourself". Not that this article is gospel by any means, but it's an interesting perspective: This Is Why Poor People’s Bad Decisions Make Perfect Sense.

But if you're comfortably middle class or above, then yeah you're just being lazy if you eat out or frozen/pre-prepared food for every meal.

Edit: Ok ok ok, sorry to continue this food derail. I don't think this atrocity against money has been posted in this thread yet:

Quora: What Salary Do I Need to buy a Tesla Model S? posted:

What is the minimal salary you need? $0 / yr. Just pay for the thing in cash.

Okay, that probably wasn't your question. What is a doable salary? In my case, I got my 2012 model S when I was somewhat fresh out of college with a salary of just above $100k. I had $30k saved up. The car + options I wanted (tech package, P85, etc...) would cost around $102k. The banks would only lend me up to $30k. I had about 4 months to come up with the money.

So I:

Had a base of 30
Borrowed 30 (@ 4% or so)
Took out a personal line of credit for 10 (@ 11% or so)
Opened a new credit card line (10) and eventually did a cash advance (@ 24%)
Made 1/3 of my annual post-tax salary, of which I could keep everything after expenses. Let's say it was around ~10
Turned off tax withholding** by claiming 20+ (an ungodly number) allowances on my W-4. This gave me another ~5.
Stopped contributing to my 401k. This was another ~3
Borrowed ~4.5 from my dad (@ 0%)
Stopped paying my other credit cards for a virtual loan.
Ensured that I would have cashflows after the purchase to cover interest until I could pay down the debt.
And voila!

Then I ruthlessly targeted my debt after I made the purchase in order to lower the aggregate interest rate of my virtual loan (2 thru 9) until I only had the car loan subcomponent outstanding.

Why go through this exercise?

A) My dad had placed a reservation in 2009 and our spot in line was forfeit if he couldn't cough up the cash or we didn't co-purchase. He had just moved and was illiquid at the time. Our spot in line was #1920 (vin #1917).

B) The car is amazing. I'd been following Tesla on /. since people started reporting about it and the company. I really believed in the mission, the corporate strategy, and everything around the car. I also told myself in college that my next car (and all others after it) would be electric.

C) I love a good challenge.

Was it worth it? Hell yes. I got a cool car, but more importantly, my attitude towards finances (and goal oriented thinking) experienced a fundamental shift for the better.

So I'd say the ultimate answer is: it depends on you. What's your risk/reward, and what does your personal balance sheet look like? How creative do you want to get? Do the math, and don't let your thinking be limited by just one number!

** I did the Math ahead of time and my 2012 taxes would come out to basically $0 assuming I didn't do anything else crazy.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 22, 2016

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Guinness posted:

Exactly, and the poorer you are, the more likely you don't have a day off, let alone the time and mental energy leftover after working 60+ hour weeks at your two not-quite-full-time-because-otherwise-we'd-have-to-give-you-benefits jobs for minimum wage. And that's also assuming you don't live in a food desert, which a lot of poorer folk unfortunately do. And you might not be able to afford to buy a bunch of bulk stuff up front, even if it would save you money in the long run. It's a complicated problem that is not as easy as "hurr durr just make food yourself". Not that this article is gospel by any means, but it's an interesting perspective: This Is Why Poor People’s Bad Decisions Make Perfect Sense.

But if you're comfortably middle class or above, then yeah you're just being lazy if you eat out or frozen/pre-prepared food for every meal.

Food deserts are mostly BS, according to the USDA who has been trying in vain to fight a problem that if it even exists is vastly overblown. This is according to their own research too:
http://www.ers.usda.gov/amber-waves...px#.V17tRPkrLIU

It might have some effect but its small. People are fat and lazy in general and they make food choices that reflect that, rich or poor.

The real BWM schadenfreude are the idiots who go to Costco and buy a bunch of overpriced poo poo because they think they're getting some amazing bulk deal, not realizing that a good chunk of that stuff is name brand and overpriced already, on top of a ton of the food going to waste because people cant eat it fast enough before it spoils.

Edit: No I dont have a houseboat yet so dont ask.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Oh god We shop for incidentals at Costco when it's cheaper but it's crazy how one cart of poo poo there can ring up as over $300. I think we only get bags of frozen chicken, bags of frozen shrimp and bags of frozen scallops there along with toilet paper/kleenex/paper towel.

Also ice cream drum sticks.

Dangerous place.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

cowofwar posted:

Dangerous place.

Thats the thing, it can be cheaper you just have to watch what you shop for. I keep a pretty detailed price book on items I get from grocery stores and Costco is cheaper on just a few items. But those items are cheap enough that even with the membership fee you still come out ahead. It just drives me nuts to hear people brag about how much money they save shopping there only to have a chunk of it go to waste. Costco seems to be the best at packaging really good looking "healthy" snacks for like $10-15. Then people grab two or three of those and they've just$ 30-45 worth of crap to their bill.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

cowofwar posted:

Oh god We shop for incidentals at Costco when it's cheaper but it's crazy how one cart of poo poo there can ring up as over $300. I think we only get bags of frozen chicken, bags of frozen shrimp and bags of frozen scallops there along with toilet paper/kleenex/paper towel.

Also ice cream drum sticks.

Dangerous place.

I almost exclusively buy Kirkland brands: dog food, dog meds, high quality olive oil, balsamic vinegar, conditioner/shampoo (repackaged Purology), proscuitto, cheeses, wines, and car care (tires, fuel, etc). Sometimes, if I'm desperate, I'll buy their super cheap chicken (69c/lb chicken thighs sigh). Anyways, all of those things are very very cheap for the quality that I would be paying for elsewhere anyways. I think if you have dogs, the savings on Frontline/Heartgard/Kirkland dog food make it worth it. Similarly with diapers for babies, their diapers are stupid cheap for good quality (although I'm going cloth).

I split the membership with my mom and end up spending enough on all of that to get back the membership fee from the 2% from Executive membership.

With that said, their produce is expensive as gently caress. Where I live, there's tons of amazing farms in the area so you can get produce for cheaper at the same quality (or better) from Walmart and Aldi's of all places. Although, we buy most of our local produce from CSA's. Their non-frozen chicken is cheaper than their frozen I think, and their seafood is expensive but it's worth it for the quality in my opinion. It's actually on par with our local fishmonger in terms of price and quality, you just spend more at once because you get a lot.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 22, 2016

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Costco is also GWM if you can eat enough free samples to skip a proper meal, as long as you resist the urge to go buy what you just sampled. :v:

And the time savings is also worth something. One Costco trip can net me enough household items that I don't have to waste time or mental energy restocking toilet paper/dish soap/laundry detergent/etc for 6+ months. I'm not sure if they're necessarily cheaper, but the convenience is high enough that I just don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Costco can be a great tool if you use it correctly. The biggest savings for my household are paper towels, toilet, paper, cleaning supplies, and things like that. Pet supplies are well priced at Costco, as well. You can get 42# bags of cat litter for the half the price of buying it at Petsmart.

• Locked thread