Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Waroduce posted:

I just got this game and will be looking to play alot this weekend....are goons still active? How do I go about getting games? just join camping the stairs?

e: is there a newbie guide more comprehensive than the OP or just...join and play and figure it out?

Yeah goons still play this. Join CTS and also get yourself in the payday goon group chat on steam.

Mostly, you'll easily pick it up from playing with goons; there's a couple of just-added intro heists to cover the basics if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ripper Swarm posted:

Yeah goons still play this. Join CTS and also get yourself in the payday goon group chat on steam.

Mostly, you'll easily pick it up from playing with goons; there's a couple of just-added intro heists to cover the basics if you want.
Yeah I've been reading the thread off and on for a month and joined the stream group. Last night I hopped onto Mumble and some cool dudes let me join them for a bunch of cool heists I never did before when I was playing solo or with a friend.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Waroduce posted:

I just got this game and will be looking to play alot this weekend....are goons still active? How do I go about getting games? just join camping the stairs?

e: is there a newbie guide more comprehensive than the OP or just...join and play and figure it out?

Sorry about that. The game's undergone some big changes. The skill system we have right now was implemented less than a month ago after 2+ years with a completely different one. I chopped up the OP a lot after that because a lot of information had become obsolete. Lots of other things have been switched up too, so lots of people are still playing catch-up. Right now's a good point to get started since you'll be on roughly the same footing as anyone else. I'll put together something to get people started on missions and such soon, here.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 22, 2016

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
If you're making a new newbie guide don't forget to mention the two recently-added tutorial heists, available on the crime.net screen near the left side. I know they aren't perfect, but having played them I think they are a fantastic addition and a good way for completely new players to get their bearings rather than jumping right into the deep end.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Which mod plugin overlay thingy do I have to download these days to turn up the amount of dead bodies I can have in the level?

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Elitist :smugbird: console player post but I'm sure it applies:

All new players that I see I immediately put them thru a dw crossroads (ok to take train docs- crew will die either way) then a harbor (die unless crazy heroics) then I run an ovk set of nightclub then rats then oil (fire them up with doc achieve). By then they will either quit or at least understand survival. Basically my formula for getting grunts.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Croccers posted:

Which mod plugin overlay thingy do I have to download these days to turn up the amount of dead bodies I can have in the level?

Goodmod and Pocohud both have that feature. I use goonmods because you can map a hotkey to get rid of the corpses. Game starts to lag out around ~1k of them.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

From the Steam thread: Apparently all the free masks from joining the official Payday 2 group are added to the base game, and will cause a crash if you don't join said group. Anyone trying this out during the free period should join the goon group for games, and the official group to be able to heist.

I'm not sure it's accurate, just relaying what I saw elsewhere.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Talkc posted:

just snagged the mod courier, bbq pack, lmg pack, shot gun pack, and sydney pack for the significant other.

Nothing says a burning hot love like a flamethrower.

Talkc posted:

just snagged the mod courier, bbq pack, lmg pack, shot gun pack, and sydney pack for the significant other.

Nothing says a burning hot love like a flamethrower.

The flamethrower is loving amazing. I had to force myself to try other weapons because it's just so effective and fun to use

all that screaming :allears:

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Judging by the image with which they did the summer sale announcement, Clover is/has effectively replaced Wolf as one of the core four Payday members :(

It is kind of fitting because Clover is at least as good a screamer as Wolf and Ulf has left the company anyway, but it does make me sad.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Laputanmachine posted:

Judging by the image with which they did the summer sale announcement, Clover is/has effectively replaced Wolf as one of the core four Payday members :(

It is kind of fitting because Clover is at least as good a screamer as Wolf and Ulf has left the company anyway, but it does make me sad.

I hope for pd3 they let him retire. Hey, maybe he can be a contact for a few heists!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Can I get an invite to the steam group? and add me if you don't mind breaking a newbie in
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197966968026/

going to be looking to play much of the weekend, gf is out of town till Sunday for some bridesmaids poo poo

Cigars and vidyo games on the balcony god bless

I played two 0 skull heist last night but the hosts quit out both times during extraction so that sucked

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Waroduce posted:

Can I get an invite to the steam group? and add me if you don't mind breaking a newbie in

going to be looking to play much of the weekend, gf is out of town till Sunday for some bridesmaids poo poo

Cigars and vidyo games on the balcony god bless

I played two 0 skull heist last night but the hosts quit out both times during extraction so that sucked
Dont play with pubs. Play with goons or play solo.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Bort Bortles posted:

Dont play with pubs. Play with goons or play solo.

This needs to be in the OP of every video game thread: Only play with Goons or other people you know and try to be a normal well adjusted loving human being.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
If you really feel you have to touch the pubbie stove to be burnt to all gently caress and back, for god's sake, always host. Always.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Meldonox posted:

try to be a normal well adjusted loving human being.

This please.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The only difference between PD2 pubs and goons is the willingness to spend 10 dollars.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

UnknownMercenary posted:

The only difference between PD2 pubs and goons is the willingness to spend 10 dollars.

Not during a free weekend event & you know it. Pubs are usually fine until you want to try something that requires any amount of teamwork or coordination. It's not even that they're bad, just impatient & selfish.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I might try hosting now that my internet connection has been upgraded.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

UnknownMercenary posted:

It's actually the ability to use voice comms. :v:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

UnknownMercenary posted:

That's a popular response, and it isn't necessarily untrue, but it doesn't really answer anything.

You can occasionally find some great people pubbing, and I've deffo run into the kind of Goon that exemplifies why some people pub exclusively, but I suspect on average it seems like you only see poo poo people when you go pubbing because most of the people who are familiar with a game and put in a lot of time tend to play with a community, be it a few friends or other Goons. We don't have a monopoly on people who aren't poo poo by any means, but we rarely see them in the wild because they have the good sense not to go pubbing themselves.

So yes, play with Goons or other people you know, and don't be an inconsiderate rear end in a top hat whoever you play with.

Edit: Or a king of kkkomedy, because Jesus Christ is that poo poo ever tired and played out.

Meldonox fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 22, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's actually the ability to use voice comms. :v:

This right here. Goons are old and slow and bad at games but generally speaking we are good at organization and communications, and teamwork is forever OP

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

DreamShipWrecked posted:

good at organization and communications, and teamwork is forever OP

im seeing some problems with your assumptions here

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My magical pubbie luck continues as I jumped around a bunch of lobbies yesterday to try out Anarchist with my build and all of them were pleasant. :shrug:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This right here. Goons are old and slow and bad at games but generally speaking we are good at organization and communications, and teamwork is forever OP
Yeah I had no idea what was doing on Monday night when a couple goons with seventy combined infamy levels carried my no infamy level ~70 clueless bumbling rear end through some awesome heists on Overkill. I tried to communicate and ask questions and everything worked out okay and I dont think I was a total liability.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

John Murdoch posted:

My magical pubbie luck continues as I jumped around a bunch of lobbies yesterday to try out Anarchist with my build and all of them were pleasant. :shrug:

if you have some level of competence with this game pubbies are fine, essentially

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm sorry, everyone, but I'm afraid there is actual development in the Payday Secret. That pattern I pointed out in the Biker Heist also appears on the back of the Cursed One mask, the one with The Diamond on it. It's a thing now.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
There's also a weird graffiti in Biker heist day 1 in the far corner of the fence, off to the left from where the turret usually appears. It's a black spraypaint image of an eye with a pyramid dangling off of it. Sort of reminde me of Illuminati but clearly different. One goon I was heisting with said he took a screenshot but I don't know if he showed it to you.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Laputanmachine posted:

There's also a weird graffiti in Biker heist day 1 in the far corner of the fence, off to the left from where the turret usually appears. It's a black spraypaint image of an eye with a pyramid dangling off of it. Sort of reminde me of Illuminati but clearly different. One goon I was heisting with said he took a screenshot but I don't know if he showed it to you.

Yep, that graffiti texture's been in out of the way corners of various maps ingame since launch. Someone in the steam forums thread was keeping a list of locations. For reasons I won't get into, the eye thing is another concept in the secret hunt- it's another way of referring to The Diamond.

I'm going to ask Overkill to add a tinfoil hat mask to the game.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Meldonox posted:

That's a popular response, and it isn't necessarily untrue, but it doesn't really answer anything.

You can occasionally find some great people pubbing, and I've deffo run into the kind of Goon that exemplifies why some people pub exclusively, but I suspect on average it seems like you only see poo poo people when you go pubbing because most of the people who are familiar with a game and put in a lot of time tend to play with a community, be it a few friends or other Goons. We don't have a monopoly on people who aren't poo poo by any means, but we rarely see them in the wild because they have the good sense not to go pubbing themselves.

So yes, play with Goons or other people you know, and don't be an inconsiderate rear end in a top hat whoever you play with.

Edit: Or a king of kkkomedy, because Jesus Christ is that poo poo ever tired and played out.

With the advent of player made mods to filter out newbies it's been a lot easier to find decent DW pubs without having to host any myself. The first DW group I joined was a tirefire because, as the only person with Inspire, the moment I got cloaker kicked through a wall the rest of the team dropped like flies. The next one I got was a group of 25-100s and we had an e-peen contest for who could kill the most cops on DW Diamond Heist.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
You need a kills/minute stat, too, especially with the diamond. I did a dw big bank last night where mine was 15.333 (total 368/68) ... but that was because winters announced himself 4 times before actually arriving :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm sorry, everyone, but I'm afraid there is actual development in the Payday Secret. That pattern I pointed out in the Biker Heist also appears on the back of the Cursed One mask, the one with The Diamond on it. It's a thing now.

YES. IT'S ON.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
oh my god i didnt even realize it was a free weekend. for the love of god friend me and save me

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Waroduce posted:

oh my god i didnt even realize it was a free weekend. for the love of god friend me and save me

Just drop by the PD2 goon group and get Mumble setup via Camping the Stairs.

Group Link: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Payday2Goons
Mumble Link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714380

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I actually got headphones inbetween clients today so I will def be in CTS

thanks for group link

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So I had a big guide written up and a power-blip caused me to lose it and I'm kind of unhappy about it and that Vermouth is looking good at 2pm on a Wednesday. Consider me a living guide. Just pop into Mumble and bug Brick Fight for a game or something.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Plan Z posted:

So I had a big guide written up and a power-blip caused me to lose it and I'm kind of unhappy about it and that Vermouth is looking good at 2pm on a Wednesday. Consider me a living guide. Just pop into Mumble and bug Brick Fight for a game or something.

a newbie's guide to payday 2:

1) the objective is in the upper left, read it occasionally
2) click heads. Recommended: get goonmod to assist you in getting weapon attachments for superior clicking.
3) don't use medic bags to restore health, use them when you've taken 3 downs (think L4D, sorta)
4) do use first aid kits to restore health. if your teammates aren't bringing them, they're mean to you and should be abandoned
5) GET THE gently caress UP

done

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Psion posted:

a newbie's guide to payday 2:

1) the objective is in the upper left, read it occasionally
2) click heads. Recommended: get goonmod to assist you in getting weapon attachments for superior clicking.
3) don't use medic bags to restore health, use them when you've taken 3 downs (think L4D, sorta)
4) do use first aid kits to restore health. if your teammates aren't bringing them, they're mean to you and should be abandoned
5) GET THE gently caress UP

done

Also don't be tricky. Chains hates tricky.

*edit* some actual newbie tips:

1) the starting guns are terrible and will give you a false sense of how tough enemies are. Replace them as soon as possible. It doesn't matter what with; every other gun is better.

2) the game recently had a major overhaul to the skill trees so any guide you find online related to skill selection is almost certainly out of date; the good news is that there aren't any "must have" skills anymore - most of the old staples were just removed and made part of everyone's basic stats. The skill trees and branches are also a lot more focused and intuitive now, with no real "filler" skills. So don't worry about skill selection so much - just take what sounds fun; they're all good.

3) Overkill is basically the "standard" difficulty that people run at. You'll want to start lower than that when you're just learning the game, but once you're comfortable with the basics and have a few levels, you should be able to handle overkill without too much trouble. Death Wish is a BIG step up from OK in terms of difficulty so don't worry if you feel like you can't handle it - it's supposed to be bullshit.

4) Good heists to get you started:
-Four Stores, jewelry store/Ukranian job (they are the same map), mallcrasher and nightclub are all very quick, low value heists that are pretty easy to blow through in 5-10 minutes.
-All of Hector's missions (Rats, Watchdogs, Firestarter) are longer jobs that are still pretty easy so they're popular for grinding experience.
-Most of the DLC maps tend to be more involved so they aren't as good to start on.

5) join the official community group. It unlocks a shitload of stuff.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 22, 2016

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Tried out a new mod that changes weapons and skills called Dead Man's Chest Weapon Overhaul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzUesE2I6Yk

Page for the mod is here https://github.com/DeadMansChest/DMCWO

I can't find a page that lists all the changes to the skills but among other things Swan Song aced no longer has unlimited ammo.

For this run, we stuck to pre-DW update weapons and I chose burglar perk deck because the other player had a blank perk deck mod, which basically disabled all perk decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
There are some solid ideas in that mod, but unfortunately almost any update will break it. That's normal for most mods, but the mod author likes to throw frequent temper tantrums about Overkill being jews between lolicon jack off sessions, so expect longer than usual periods of downtime compared to other mods (like say, Goonmod).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Also, FactsAreUseless is a tremendous piece of poo poo for probating me over drama in the same thread where we regularly bitch about Reddit. gently caress off.

Doctor Shitfaced fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 1, 2016