Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
found this IA poll in the GOP thread:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2016/06/16/poll-shows-clinton-grassley-leading-iowa/85947420/
Clinton 44
Trump 41

But importantly:

quote:

The PPP poll also tested the U.S. Senate race between six-term incumbent Republican Chuck Grassley and Democratic challenger Patty Judge.

Grassley is leading, with 48 percent of respondents saying they would vote for him, against 41 percent for Judge.

Forty-nine percent of voters have a favorable view of Grassley and 42 percent have an unfavorable view. Similarly, 48 percent say they approve of the job he’s doing as a U.S. senator, while 41 percent disapprove.

Judge, meanwhile, is positively viewed by 34 percent of respondents. Thirty-two percent have an unfavorable view and 34 percent are not sure.
Given those unknown numbers by judge, the topline 48/41 doesn't quite so bad (?). I wonder if the emily's list, etc ads are already going full swing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

comes along bort posted:

The NCDP is still locked in a long-running generational/regional pissing match and the Moral Monday folks want pretty much nothing to do with them. It was so bad Hagan bypassed them entirely in 2014 for her joint fundraising committee.
Hagan bypassed the NCDP as well. She ran her own campaign, distancing herself from all the other democrats, and that didn't work out for her anyway.

The NCDP is a dead gay party and moral mondays aren't helping to fix that. Cooper's lead against McCrory has already evaporated in polls. Trump's held steady with a 4-point lead in polls here. Burr has an edge against Ross. All of this casts clouds for the state supreme court race as well.

If registered democrats actually voted they'd win every statewide contest of course, but that's not who votes in NC. And it's going to become harder the longer Republicans push crazy legislation and scare sensible people out of the state.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
jeeeeeeeesus christ

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...lNFJ/story.html

quote:

Republican Sen. John McCain said Thursday that President Barack Obama is ‘‘directly responsible’’ for the mass shooting in Orlando, Florida, because of the rise of the Islamic State group on the president’s watch. But he later issued a statement saying that he ‘‘misspoke.’’

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBufzM__lYg

who needs this alarm for 1 hour

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Whole Internet posted:

Hagan bypassed the NCDP as well. She ran her own campaign, distancing herself from all the other democrats, and that didn't work out for her anyway.

The NCDP is a dead gay party and moral mondays aren't helping to fix that. Cooper's lead against McCrory has already evaporated in polls. Trump's held steady with a 4-point lead in polls here. Burr has an edge against Ross. All of this casts clouds for the state supreme court race as well.

If registered democrats actually voted they'd win every statewide contest of course, but that's not who votes in NC. And it's going to become harder the longer Republicans push crazy legislation and scare sensible people out of the state.

is the problem that registered democrats don't vote or that they vote for republicans a la West Virginia and Kentucky

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

This link comes to mind.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Badger of Basra posted:

is the problem that registered democrats don't vote or that they vote for republicans a la West Virginia and Kentucky

they just don't vote

NC is affected disproportionately by young voter apathy, because the split between old and young voters is more polarized than other states. So in midterms, when young voters don't show up, NC becomes a dark red state.

NC 18-28 year old turnout over time:

2008 - 10%
2010 - 3.9%
2012 - 10%
2014 - 4.9%

I think that democrats should have reasonable chances of sweeping every race in NC this year, but Sanders would've done much more good for the downticket dems in this state, due to the reliance on the youth vote here. It's difficult to say if last minute fears of Trump or if a consolidation of democrats behind Clinton after the convention will help. I'm kinda hoping that the large libertarian minority in the state responds to HB2's impact on business and vote dem in the statewide races. We'll need that help, because the "family values" voters are gonna be out in full force.

The Whole Internet has issued a correction as of 23:35 on Jun 16, 2016

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

john mccain probably heard enough of this in 1967

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Homework Explainer posted:

john mccain probably heard enough of this in 1967

harsh, but fair

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

thethreeman posted:

found this IA poll in the GOP thread:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2016/06/16/poll-shows-clinton-grassley-leading-iowa/85947420/
Clinton 44
Trump 41

But importantly:

Given those unknown numbers by judge, the topline 48/41 doesn't quite so bad (?). I wonder if the emily's list, etc ads are already going full swing

Ads aren't even close to full swing. She was chosen as the candidate in a decently close race barely over a week ago, by the time August rolls around Judge-mania will be running wild across Iowa.

I'm really obnoxiously hopeful about Iowa's prospects this election. Donald Trump didn't win the primary here, and I think Iowa is particularly able to be turned by a strong ground game, and more votes for the top-line Dem is gonna bring more votes for down ballot races.

We'll turn at the very least one House seat, but my dream is coming out of 2016 with a Democratic president, senator, and three house reps (because Steve King is still gonna win).

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
My own prediction is that Grassley wins but all the other contested national level races go the Democrats' way in Iowa. Trump will not do well there but Iowans can split ticket pretty well so it will turn more towards a generic general election atmosphere. Thats where the issues with those two endangered Republican candidates comes in...

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Grassley only being up 7 is a pretty good starting point - he won by 30 in 2010 and 40 in 2004.

If nothing else he's going to have to work to defend his seat which he hasn't really had to do since he got elected.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

Ads aren't even close to full swing. She was chosen as the candidate in a decently close race barely over a week ago, by the time August rolls around Judge-mania will be running wild across Iowa.

I'm really obnoxiously hopeful about Iowa's prospects this election. Donald Trump didn't win the primary here, and I think Iowa is particularly able to be turned by a strong ground game, and more votes for the top-line Dem is gonna bring more votes for down ballot races.

We'll turn at the very least one House seat, but my dream is coming out of 2016 with a Democratic president, senator, and three house reps (because Steve King is still gonna win).

Didn't Iowa go for Obama in both 2008 & 2012

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Perhaps in another sign that Rubio is going to run for re-election, David Jolly is about to announce he's dropping his Senate bid to focus on getting re-elected to his FL-13 House seat:

https://twitter.com/SaintPetersblog/status/743834998378209281

FL-13 recently had its boundaries redrawn that has turned it bluer. When he announced he was running for Senate last year, Jolly declared "no Republican can win" his current seat.

Then he found out the Democrat running for it was Charlie Crist. :v:

Edit:

https://twitter.com/SaintPetersblog/status/743861343913115648

Ballz has issued a correction as of 18:43 on Jun 17, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Pretty sure Charlie Crist is super favored to win the seat. It's not a midterm and it's in an area of Florida where Crist is still popular.

Gonna laugh my rear end of if everyone drops out and Rubio doesn't actually run though. A final bird from Lil Marco as he departs for the sweet lobbyist paycheck.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Gyges posted:

Pretty sure Charlie Crist is super favored to win the seat. It's not a midterm and it's in an area of Florida where Crist is still popular.

Gonna laugh my rear end of if everyone drops out and Rubio doesn't actually run though. A final bird from Lil Marco as he departs for the sweet lobbyist paycheck.

I used to live there and said all along it should have been Crist running to fill Young's seat, not Alex Sink.

I have seen far too many times Florida Dems snatch defeat from the jaws of victory (see: election an re-election of one Rick Scott). Crist will find a way to blow this.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Gyges posted:

It was moved from likely to lean on some of the quicker to update sites, might go back to likely once some polls come out but Jolly still is an incumbent (if freshman elected in a special election) representative and has the ability to at least make it competitive. At this point you have to assume that Rubio is running for senate again.

Also, since nobody pointed it out, Sharron Angle got her poo poo kicked in last week so Nevada will, indeed, be a real race too.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Gyges posted:

isn't the word that he's considering running because he wasn't commanding nearly as sweet of a lobbyist paycheck that he thought he would

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

back in '08 i thought crist would be a strong candidate for the republican nomination in 2012 or 2016. how the mighty have fallen

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Homework Explainer posted:

back in '08 i thought crist would be a strong candidate for the republican nomination in 2012 or 2016. how the mighty have fallen

And Rubio done made the same mistake as Crist and Cristie before him. Shame 'bout his probable hopes for reelection, but he went and touched the black man.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

rubio is a silly man, i'll be interested to see if all his friends will really be so kind as to drop out of the race. jolly seemed to already be wavering

as far as jolly dropping down, did he say if he's going to fundraise again? i thought i'd read that he made some weird pact to not do his job as a candidate at one point in the senate race, dunno if that applies to this race

i feel like i read that crist lives in the part of st petersburg that got redistricted into fl-13 - i wouldnt be surprised if the gop gerrymanderers knew that when they decided what parts of the city to throw into the tampa district although maybe they just took all the democratic precincts, i haven't looked. anyway, if he's gonna win anywhere i'm guessing it'd be there

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

GalacticAcid posted:

We have our first scandal in the PA race.

Buzzfeed has discovered that Katie McGinty was not the first person in her family to go to college, contrary to her claims.

The discovery was the result of an intense muckraking investigation - they looked at her brother's LinkedIn profile.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

when i saw this headline i assumed it was grayson who'd said it, but no, patrick murphy apparently called rubio 'one of the most homophobic senators in this country'
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/284023-florida-dem-rubio-most-homophobic-senator-in-country
that's cool

quote:

Murphy, who is competing for the Democratic nomination for the Florida Senate seat against Rep. Alan Grayson, accused the Republican senator of playing politics with the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history. He said he’s received calls from people who were “appalled” at Rubio’s actions, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

He said people are calling to say, " 'This is atrocious, this is despicable,' that a senator who is one of the most homophobic senators in this country, someone who voted to keep this terrorist gun loophole open, who has a 100 percent voting record with the [National Rifle Association], I think — and now all of a sudden is going to use this horrific mass shooting, this act of terrorism, this hate crime to decide to run for the U.S. Senate?"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rubio is running for re-election.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

Rubio is running for re-election.

Q-Poll has him up 7 points over both Dems.

Both Dems have leads over the former R candidates.

Womp Womp.

Seems like a toss-up / Lean D to a Likely R.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah that will likely be a win for the GOP now.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I want to talk to the roughly 10% of Florida voters who apparently can't stand "Generic Republican" and were voting for Patrick Murphy, but love Rubio.

People tend to vote for incumbents and are not perfectly rational actors, but come on Florida!

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/_FloridaMan/status/745640347259240448

MarcoRubio
Feb 3, 2016

Are you ready for a New American Century?

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
very strong set of polls for republicans from Q

Rubio +7/+8 like Leon said
Toomey +9 http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/senate/pa/pennsylvania_senate_toomey_vs_mcginty-5074.html
Portman/Strickland tied http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/senate/oh/ohio_senate_portman_vs_strickland-5386.html

Note that Rubio +7/+8 (Murphy/Grayson, respectively) contrasts with PPP's -1/+2 a few days ago, in which polling was one day (6/15-6/16) versus Q's 11-day polling (6/8-6/19). Neither used a LV screen, so who knows where the difference comes from. The orlando attack took place mid-way through Q's polling (on 6/12)

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

thethreeman posted:

very strong set of polls for republicans from Q

Rubio +7/+8 like Leon said
Toomey +9 http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/senate/pa/pennsylvania_senate_toomey_vs_mcginty-5074.html
Portman/Strickland tied http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/senate/oh/ohio_senate_portman_vs_strickland-5386.html

Note that Rubio +7/+8 (Murphy/Grayson, respectively) contrasts with PPP's -1/+2 a few days ago, in which polling was one day (6/15-6/16) versus Q's 11-day polling (6/8-6/19). Neither used a LV screen, so who knows where the difference comes from. The orlando attack took place mid-way through Q's polling (on 6/12)

QPac's RV polls this cycle have, in general, been kind of all over the place. Getting a result where Clinton is up 7 in Florida but tied in Pennsylvania is sort of :psyduck:

That said, even if the poll is significantly off, I think McGinty is starting out behind Toomey at this point.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Murphy has some work cut out for him beating Rubio, but he sure has some ammunition he can use, based on the primaries, and I'm kinda doubting there will be many Clinton/Rubio voters. But, Florida, so there might just be enough morons.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Schnorkles posted:

QPac's RV polls this cycle have, in general, been kind of all over the place. Getting a result where Clinton is up 7 in Florida but tied in Pennsylvania is sort of :psyduck:

That said, even if the poll is significantly off, I think McGinty is starting out behind Toomey at this point.
yeah seems like it. McGinty at -9 was surprising to me though, just given both cook and sabato have it listed as a pure "toss up" (same as ohio, where the strickland/portman tie looks in line)

Spatula City posted:

Murphy has some work cut out for him beating Rubio, but he sure has some ammunition he can use, based on the primaries, and I'm kinda doubting there will be many Clinton/Rubio voters. But, Florida, so there might just be enough morons.
interesting thought. I could imagine some moderate/conservative hispanics voting split that way, just considering trump's horrible favorables with that demo?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Spatula City posted:

FL Dems are one of the worst state parties. They will find a way to blow it, even if it's close (which I'm not so sure about now).

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

FlamingLiberal posted:

FL Dems are one of the worst state parties. They will find a way to blow it, even if it's close (which I'm not so sure about now).

otoh, Patrick Murphy is not Alex Sink, Kendrick Meek, or Charlie Crist, so the Dems actually have a shot. Unless Grayson wins, and then the seat becomes safe R. gently caress Alan Grayson, I hope he develops some kind of 100% fatal cancer.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Spatula City posted:

otoh, Patrick Murphy is not Alex Sink, Kendrick Meek, or Charlie Crist, so the Dems actually have a shot. Unless Grayson wins, and then the seat becomes safe R. gently caress Alan Grayson, I hope he develops some kind of 100% fatal cancer.

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/745757781039456256
lol florida democrats

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah that was right on cue...
vv yeah your last post was uncanny

thethreeman has issued a correction as of 01:23 on Jun 23, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah that was right on cue...

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So as Trump's fortunes go down, Senate Republicans' fortunes go up. Fitting.

So if Clinton and the Senate Rs both win, what happens with Garland?

Lycus has issued a correction as of 01:17 on Jun 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

lol i was gonna say it didnt seem like likely r

but this is exactly the kind of thing that comes out when you make the move up from house to senate, grayson just had his skeletons dug up earlier in the cycle

if it's a wave election a lot of bad candidates will win, that doesn't show up in the polls at this point. we'll have to see. rubio seems to clearly make this a more likely republican hold

outside of florida, the news from the other states falls into the 'it's just one poll' school of analysis, nothing to really emote about

• Locked thread