Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

NT Plus posted:

This is kinda delving into lore fluff but isn't Grimgor supposedly bar none the most skilled fighter in Warhammer Fantasy?

Well I mean he ran out, coldcocked Archaon clean, proclaimed how awesome he was and then ran off triumphantly. That's worth something for sure.

Storm of Chaos was fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Does the number of Chaos stacks during the final phase vary depending on your faction? In my first game as Empire (Chaos) I had to take out three waves of Chaos armies once Archaon showed up, but in my Vampire Counts (Very Hard) I only killed Archaon once, when I was expecting more waves than the previous game due to difficulty. What gives? Was I just fortunate enough to kill every single Chaos army before they respawned, triggering the death of the faction?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

goodness posted:

Got a link to these videos for Warhammer?
Yukitsu's stuff is here: https://www.youtube.com/user/YukitsuTimes/videos

Look for the Warhams videos among his other stuff. He also plays matches after explaining each faction so you can see how he figures each faction operates against another. His extra videos explaining MP stuff like magic and fliers also have matches.

For all the MPs imbalance though, it feels good to wreck an enemy cheeser's face because you out thought them on unit selection or tactics like hiding that one vanguard deployed cavalry unit to screw over a key artillery piece.

Edit: if nothing else, the videos reminded me of key stuff like "cost effectiveness trumps eliteness" and the need to have chaff and to play to a faction's strengths. There is one replay I saved which I ought to upload later where, as the Dwarves, I set up cannons and an organ gun on a little mound and blew apart nearly every orc coming at me while microing Dwarven Warriors to catch Orc Boar Boyz charges attempting to flank the artillery line. It was awesome. :D

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 22, 2016

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Well I mean he ran out, coldcocked Archaon clean, proclaimed how awesome he was and then ran off triumphantly. That's worth something for sure.

Storm of Chaos was fun times.

Also he lives in a skaven infested mountain on purpose so he can kill them in his down time from fighting the chaos hordes and dwarves. Grimgor is da best.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

NT Plus posted:

This is kinda delving into lore fluff but isn't Grimgor supposedly bar none the most skilled fighter in Warhammer Fantasy?

Most skilled? Probably not, but he's pretty high up there. Someone like Tyrion probably has him beat on raw skill alone, but Grimgor has strength and toughness to make up any difference there. The list of people who could plausibly challenge him in a fight is extremely short

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

SlothBear posted:

Also he lives in a skaven infested mountain on purpose so he can kill them in his down time from fighting the chaos hordes and dwarves. Grimgor is da best.

I read his entry on the warhammer wiki and it sounds like he parked his army outside dwarf holds, destroyed all their armies but didn't take the settlements so that they could keep sending more armies to him. Then he got bored with killing dwarfs and left. lol

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

rockopete posted:

And be sure to crush them quickly because in my experience they prefer to raze rather than occupy.

I was worried about the public order issues but actually it's been nice to have a few armies to crush to build xp and create corpse fields. I haven't deliberately farmed them, just had my hands full and not enough armies to occupy my new conquests. It would be more flavorful to have the rebels be human instead of vampires but eh.

The type of rebels you get depends on corruption levels. No corruption gives you native rebels ( humans, orcs, etc). At some point of corruption you get chaos or undead rebels.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

ZearothK posted:

Does the number of Chaos stacks during the final phase vary depending on your faction? In my first game as Empire (Chaos) I had to take out three waves of Chaos armies once Archaon showed up, but in my Vampire Counts (Very Hard) I only killed Archaon once, when I was expecting more waves than the previous game due to difficulty. What gives? Was I just fortunate enough to kill every single Chaos army before they respawned, triggering the death of the faction?

Yeah I noticed the same thing in my orc campaign. I beat Arch and he kept showing up a few times until finally they disappeared. I'm not sure if it is a set number of waves, or if you need to eliminate every chaos stack before Arch heals and takes over for a generic lord.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yeah I noticed the same thing in my orc campaign. I beat Arch and he kept showing up a few times until finally they disappeared. I'm not sure if it is a set number of waves, or if you need to eliminate every chaos stack before Arch heals and takes over for a generic lord.

Bit of both, from what I can tell. If, at any time after Archaon's rampage begins, the Warriors of Chaos have no hordes remaining they will be defeated and no more will spawn. However, if any hordes remain then they will continue to spawn in waves depending on your difficulty level. My source is this mod, which adjusts how many waves come.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

A cool dlc for this game would be if you could put together an adventuring company or M&B style mercenary force and travel around joining in on random battles. Your talent tree could focus on befriending certain factions, reinforcing their armies from farther away, and combat bonuses against their enemies. Basically like a good Chaos mini-horde.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

dylguy90 posted:

A cool dlc for this game would be if you could put together an adventuring company or M&B style mercenary force and travel around joining in on random battles. Your talent tree could focus on befriending certain factions, reinforcing their armies from farther away, and combat bonuses against their enemies. Basically like a good Chaos mini-horde.

Literally Dogs of War or Grudgebringers DLC (I hope :allears:)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kaza42 posted:

Bit of both, from what I can tell. If, at any time after Archaon's rampage begins, the Warriors of Chaos have no hordes remaining they will be defeated and no more will spawn. However, if any hordes remain then they will continue to spawn in waves depending on your difficulty level. My source is this mod, which adjusts how many waves come.

I would like a combination of this mod + a mod that randomizes what chaos does and makes it so it doesn't necessarily beeline for the player everytime. In my last campaign the hordes took the same path each time which made for a boring invasion wherein I killed their armies in basically the same place in the same exact fashion over and over.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

mornhaven posted:

The type of rebels you get depends on corruption levels. No corruption gives you native rebels ( humans, orcs, etc). At some point of corruption you get chaos or undead rebels.

I know how it works, I just wish there was an exception for the first turns after VC take a human region. Or maybe raise the corruption threshold.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

NT Plus posted:

he's probably the best all-around mortal fighter, i imagine he'd lose one on one to a bloodthirster or Nagash but there's really not many people who could win against them

dylguy90 posted:

realtalk, if they do ogre kingdoms right this is how they'll work - a mercenary-oriented horde army

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

President Ark posted:

realtalk, if they do ogre kingdoms right this is how they'll work - a mercenary-oriented horde army

You'd probably need some way to temporarily join wars. If I'm a mercenary company and the Empire hires me to go wreck Sylvania for a while, that could go a few ways depending on implementation

1)Empire gives me X money. I go to war with the Vampire Counts until I complete objective Y after which we peace
2)Empire gives me X money. I go to war with the Vampire Counts until I complete objective Y after which I am able to negotiate peace as normal, but do not automatically get peace
3)Empire gives me X money, I give them Y armies to control until Z condition is met. I control the armies in combat, but they are otherwise treated as Empire armies

Or some other way of doing it. With the system right now, 3 would require a significant game-level change, while 1 and 2 are just diplomatic option modifiers, like how you can only confederate every few turns

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I'd want them to do a Gotrek and Felix campaign, so I can just wade through units with the two of them while their companion wizards/vampires just cast death spells everywhere.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Kaza42 posted:

You'd probably need some way to temporarily join wars. If I'm a mercenary company and the Empire hires me to go wreck Sylvania for a while, that could go a few ways depending on implementation

1)Empire gives me X money. I go to war with the Vampire Counts until I complete objective Y after which we peace
2)Empire gives me X money. I go to war with the Vampire Counts until I complete objective Y after which I am able to negotiate peace as normal, but do not automatically get peace
3)Empire gives me X money, I give them Y armies to control until Z condition is met. I control the armies in combat, but they are otherwise treated as Empire armies

Or some other way of doing it. With the system right now, 3 would require a significant game-level change, while 1 and 2 are just diplomatic option modifiers, like how you can only confederate every few turns

I imagine they can just use the vassal system. You sign on to be Empire vassals for X turns during which you have their diplomacy characteristics and you get quest missions from them, and you want to fight as much as you can to earn post-battle loot, after which vassal status lapses.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

dylguy90 posted:

I'd want them to do a Gotrek and Felix campaign, so I can just wade through units with the two of them while their companion wizards/vampires just cast death spells everywhere.

There's a mod to add Gotrek and Felix to Empire or Dwarfs, although it's not super polished atm. Should still work, although I haven't tested it. Same guy made a mod to add Krell to Kemmler's starting lineup

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Kaza42 posted:

There's a mod to add Gotrek and Felix to Empire or Dwarfs, although it's not super polished atm. Should still work, although I haven't tested it. Same guy made a mod to add Krell to Kemmler's starting lineup

They're absurdly overpowered and unless you fix it by having them only be recruited out of Altdorf, you'll wind up with multiple Gotrek and Felix units running around in every Elector Counts primary stack.

That being said, watching the two of them solo a couple packs of black orcs and a warboss all on their lonesome is kinda fun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NT Plus posted:

Not skill, just sheer brute force and violence. The amount of anger pent up inside Grimgor cannot be understated. Even the game sort of underplays his rage. He sounds almost calm in this game, which is kind of weird, when he should be one long, nonstop scream of madness with the occasional word in there.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

ZearothK posted:

Anyone here has given this Southern Realms mod a shot?

It's okay, but in my opinion the superior Border Princes experience uses the one that unlocks a few key buildings (mage school, cathedral et al) and the units from Shadow of the Horned Rat mod. The units themselves are a bit much, but you're an Empire faction that has to make due without Steam Tanks and Demigryphs, so I think it evens out. Grab another mod called 'Noble Cavalry' for a decent light cavalry unit and you're pretty much set.

Other dude takes pistoleers away from the Border Princes... who to me are kinda the poster boys for the Border Princes. Plus dude is a twat.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not skill, just sheer brute force and violence. The amount of anger pent up inside Grimgor cannot be understated. Even the game sort of underplays his rage. He sounds almost calm in this game, which is kind of weird, when he should be one long, nonstop scream of madness with the occasional word in there.

#notmygrimgor

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Vassals seem like a bad idea most of the time unless you want to forego having any military allies. Ever since Shogun 2 the AI has been smart enough to just declare war on your vassals to get to you if you have a lot of military/defense allies. You can use the same tactic against them but from what I've noticed the AI is also smart enough to just not make vassals this time around. In terms of money they don't give much. In terms of a buffer razing works just as well most of the time. The only time I've made vassals is "for the fun of it" when I was already at war with almost everybody anyway (VC, greenskins) or as chaos which I guess is also "already at war, who cares". I bring this up because if you were to have a mercenary faction operate off of being a vassal to AI the AI would just abuse it to declare on the other AI.

Somewhat related, I see that they now have a system for gifting settlements--it's what the waaagh uses to "gift" the settlements they capture to their parent faction. Would be nice if I could figure out how to add that to vassals or somehow extend it so you can actually gift any settlement rather than a trigger on capture that only goes to a specific faction.

Also glad the unit cap thing works like I thought it might. That opens up a lot of cool possibilities.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Vassals are definitely only for "people whose homes I can't live in".

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I would be interested if, at the end of the content cycle, you get threats coming from all directions in the grand campaign. Chaos to the north, Nagash from the south, Dark elf arks from the west...I guess make a joking reference to MTWII's mongol invasions via Ogres? Oh, and Skaven popping up sporadically. Take a page from Paradox games and make it a sprawling mess.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Aurubin posted:

I would be interested if, at the end of the content cycle, you get threats coming from all directions in the grand campaign. Chaos to the north, Nagash from the south, Dark elf arks from the west...I guess make a joking reference to MTWII's mongol invasions via Ogres? Oh, and Skaven popping up sporadically. Take a page from Paradox games and make it a sprawling mess.

I think/hope that is eventually the plan, right now the limited choices means every campaign plays out more linearly then it will in the future. It's a very fun game now, which makes me super excited for when they actually flesh out some of the other factions and add more depth to the campaign. That's probably my only major critique besides some fixable balance poo poo; the game has so much room to grow and likely will do exactly that in time, to the point I almost don't even want to keep playing it before we get more.

Kinda feel the same way about Stellaris, and I've more or less shelved them both until the first big DLC (or in Stellaris case, just the usual Paradox post-release patch process).

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 22, 2016

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
CA need to release some DLC now so I can give them my money. Game is good, but game would be more good with more factions for me to dick around with.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
Didn't someone in this thread mention that there's a mod out there that removes the AI's ability to march? Anyone know the name. I'm loving sick of playing whack-a-mole with enemy armies because the AI will literally do that poo poo all loving day.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Das_Ubermike posted:

Didn't someone in this thread mention that there's a mod out there that removes the AI's ability to march? Anyone know the name. I'm loving sick of playing whack-a-mole with enemy armies because the AI will literally do that poo poo all loving day.
I use this one
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=695703823

Disabled force march, but gives a movement boost in friendly territory

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Grimgor is a skilled fighter, but not the most skilled. He's strong, but not the strongest. He's tough, but not the toughest. What makes Grimgor special is that he's the 'ardest, most kunnin' git there is. He's, in general, pissed off, large, and in charge.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

Kaza42 posted:

I use this one
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=695703823

Disabled force march, but gives a movement boost in friendly territory

Thanks buddy. Can I install and use this mod if i'm halfway through a MP campaign? Or will I need a fresh campaign or else risk corrupting the save file? Also, I assume my MP friend would also need to install this mod as well?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kaza42 posted:

VH is a real pain in the rear end on this count. :mad:

Good to know that there's a limit. Talabheim and Sylvania are awash in blood and corpses, which does have its benefits as VC.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Isnt the Greater Demon/Keeper o' Change you see in the campaign kinda weak for what a Great Demon is supposed to be? Combat wise. Even though he's of course mainly a caster-type of demon I guess, I was really expecting a real badass motherfucker.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Mazz posted:

I think/hope that is eventually the plan, right now the limited choices means every campaign plays out more linearly then it will in the future. It's a very fun game now, which makes me super excited for when they actually flesh out some of the other factions and add more depth to the campaign. That's probably my only major critique besides some fixable balance poo poo; the game has so much room to grow and likely will do exactly that in time, to the point I almost don't even want to keep playing it before we get more.

Kinda feel the same way about Stellaris, and I've more or less shelved them both until the first big DLC (or in Stellaris case, just the usual Paradox post-release patch process).

ditto. i've played stellaris some, but it's really obvious there is a lot that can be fixed to make the game even better, so i'm kinda waiting until some more patches come out. i've played the introductory campaign for warhammer a couple of times now, but i just wish balthasar was useful

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

Isnt the Greater Demon/Keeper o' Change you see in the campaign kinda weak for what a Great Demon is supposed to be? Combat wise. Even though he's of course mainly a caster-type of demon I guess, I was really expecting a real badass motherfucker.

The saddest thing is that he's a Lore of Metal caster, so he just spams Searing Doom and wonders why it doesn't do anything. Sarthorial is pretty much Gelt who lifts sometimes.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Yes, he's pretty weak, even for a "caster daemon". Going by the tabletop rules, he should be able to fly, and should be about as strong as Franz on Deathclaw, only tougher. Also he should cause terror. And have access to another lore, but since lore of Tzeench isn't in the game yet, he's stuck with lore of poo poo metal.

Basically, greater daemons are not to be hosed with. even the relatively non-combat Lords of Change.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The best part is all the spergs who WILL mod this game to be closer to the lore as well as add units. I fully expect the entire chaos pantheon as well as weirder stuff.

Also just want to play as Daemons who will have disruption rules not unlike the vamps.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
If they don't give us a real grand campaign at the end and instead split the game up into little.. micro-campaigns the size of the current one in different parts of the world I'll be so incredibly disappointed.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Sathoriel is much better with Molay's Lore of Metal, hah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Rygar201 posted:

Sathoriel is much better with Molay's Lore of Metal, hah.

Definitely. Also turns Archaon into a loving titan.

• Locked thread